Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen game package price info -- battle the disinformation

JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

Since the threads by ominous "fans" who repeatedly post nothing but provocative price announcements, deliberately creating the illusion this game would be insanely "expensive":

it should be clarified once and for all:

SC release version + a starter ship: 30 $ (play when game is released)

or:

SC release version + alpha + beta module access + starter ship: 45 $ (play available Alpha module right now)

You get a ship and a basic ship insurance you can extend with regular ingame credits you´ll earn by running missions, trading, bounty hunting or any other ingame activity. Just. Normal. Gameplay. No $$$ necessary for ANYTHING.

THIS GAME IS BUY TO PLAY.

Want a better ship but not pay any $$$? Go work for it as a pilot and buy it in the game when it´s released.

Insurance is worth only a few credits, you earn it easily in game anyway.

How much other people are donating to the project and what they get as pledge rewards is really none of anyone´s  business.

You know how crowdfunding works? Good.

Comments

• screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I just can't believe that so many people have such a bug up their backsides that they feel the need to spread disinformation about a video game. A VIDEO GAME. And I also cannot believe that people buy the disinformation hook line and sinker, then use it as the basis of their Star Citizen bashing. 
  • JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by screecwe
    I just can't believe that so many people have such a bug up their backsides that they feel the need to spread disinformation about a video game. A VIDEO GAME. And I also cannot believe that people buy the disinformation hook line and sinker, then use it as the basis of their Star Citizen bashing. 

one can only speculate about the reasons but I can think of plenty of groups with an interest in seeing SC not increasing their budget, or staying behind expectations, or simple badmouthing irrelevant aspect of it to confuse people. Doesn´t take much imagination who is behind it.  Anyway the entry point to SC is beyond dirt cheap, it´s much less than any full price publisher title, and MUCH less than any "full price plus season pass" publisher title. Who needs publishers anyway these day? They´re going the way of the Dodo sooner or later.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame

SC release version + alpha + beta module access + starter ship: 45 $ (play available Alpha module right now)

AC is in pre-alpha not alpha.

Please don't spread misinformation.

How much other people are donating to the project and what they get as pledge rewards is really none of anyone´s  business.

When the company concentrates their monetization based on how much pledgers are willing to pledge, then I'd say that yes, it is my business.

Especially when they've locked every ship (and weapons for now) behind a paywall until the game releases, which is another 2-3 years.

..Cake..

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

I know the one poster you are referring to OP and while I agree the hyperbole he spouts about $600 this and $2K that is silly the more threads of his I read the more I think he might actually be a real fan/backer of SC and not trolling. If he is trolling he is VERY good at it. I think he is just very excited because he feels he can spend RL money to have an advantage over those who will earn in game credits. Their are people out there that do like PtW games unfortunately. Fools and their money and all that.

But still a +1 for your post OP. I do think that many people don't understand how entry into SC works.

EDIT: 1100th post!image

And to Sgel, yes SC is pre-something at the moment but their is still a playable game out. This game will come out in Modules, the first ,AC, is out now. Plus he is correct anyway in that it does include Alphas of ALL modules when it gets released. So don't try to spread misinformation please.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

You get a ship and a basic ship insurance you can extend with regular ingame credits you´ll earn by running missions, trading, bounty hunting or any other ingame activity. Just. Normal. Gameplay. No $$$ necessary for ANYTHING.

So in other words, you'll get 2 months of gametime during which you'll have the options to

a) Collect enough credits to buy more game-time with that ship from in-game shop

b) Buy more game-time with that ship for real cash

c) Continue flying without a starship after 2 months have passed.

Imho that makes it more like a subscription game. Certainly not a buy to play game when it's possible to lose your ability to play.

Originally posted by Vrika

So in other words, you'll get 2 months of gametime during which you'll have the options to

a) Collect enough credits to buy more game-time with that ship from in-game shop

Imho that makes it more like a subscription game. Certainly not a buy to play game when it's possible to lose your ability to play.

I don't think you understand what Buy To Play means. It's like Guild Wars 2. No sub at all. Ever. Or I hope their will not be, it's still early in development so who knows.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• RynetRynet Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I happened to get into it at $45 with Lifetime Insurance on the starter ship which is always nice :-)

Insurance is sold in 6 month increments. Running one mission be more than enough to get insurance for 6 months. It's meant as an in-game money sink, not as something that is difficult to obtain.  CIG has come out and said repeatedly that you will hardly notice the cost.

Originally posted by Rynet
    I happened to get into it at $45 with Lifetime Insurance on the starter ship which is always nice :-)

Same here, or at least the best Aurora package you could get (LX or MR I don't remember which).

• RynetRynet Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Just looked and I have RSI Aurora MR
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

keyword is starter ship.It is like assuming all mmo players would love to start with noobie gear if the choice to upgrade is there before the game starts.Geesh how many Wow players,the most popular game going are ONLY playing for the gear drops.

I have seen ridiculous amounts of money thrown at Twitch Tv streamers for no reason,so if multiple thousands are willing to just toss money around for no reason imagine if you gave them even a slim reason.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Since the threads by ominous "fans" who repeatedly post nothing but provocative price announcements, deliberately creating the illusion this game would be insanely "expensive":

Pretty sure those thread titles are just highlighting the insanity of the prices you can pay.

No ones arguing that they are the prices you have to pay.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by sgel

AC is in pre-alpha not alpha.

Please don't spread misinformation.

When the company concentrates their monetization based on how much pledgers are willing to pledge, then I'd say that yes, it is my business.

Especially when they've locked every ship (and weapons for now) behind a paywall until the game releases, which is another 2-3 years.

Yep, SC is in pre-alpha.

With that in mind, I am not sure I agree with your argument that the pre-alpha should have a fully implemented ship progression system for you to play through. There may be one that appears at some point, but we can both agree this is pre-alpha, yes?

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

I bash on star citizen because I belive they have over-promised. If the game comes out and it's everything they say it is than I"ll take it all back and be standing in line to hand them my money come launch. 

The 58+ mil dollars they have raised has nothing to do with that. Although it does make me think people have more money than brains. 

Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

You haven't been reading the threads then.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Insurance is sold in 6 month increments. Running one mission be more than enough to get insurance for 6 months. It's meant as an in-game money sink, not as something that is difficult to obtain.  CIG has come out and said repeatedly that you will hardly notice the cost.

And what if you lose access to computer/net for some duration?

What if you get sick and have to spend time in hospital, unable to play?

EDIT: After reading FAQ on their website, it looks like players are given possibility to fly missions for a third party if they lose their last ship, and earn in-game money for a new ship that way.

So looks like I was wrong. Sorry /EDIT

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    it is my buisness when game developers start fleecing thier own customers to fund thier project, crowdfunding is a disease, if your game wasnt a good enough proposal to warrant investment, sod off. Hundreds of millions of dollars have been pumped into project after project on kickstarter, id love to see some statistics on how many of the funded ventures actual survive. I say would love to because it will never happen, the number is probably so low, people would back away from crowdfunding and never return. At the end of the day thou, it is said, a fool and his money are easily parted....if fools want to go spend hundreds of dollars on P2W ships in a game that i still far from finished and I still doubt WILL be finished, good for them.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby

And what if you lose access to computer/net for some duration?

What if you get sick and have to spend time in hospital, unable to play?

EDIT: After reading FAQ on their website, it looks like players are given possibility to fly missions for a third party if they lose their last ship, and earn in-game money for a new ship that way.

So looks like I was wrong. Sorry /EDIT

Insurance time only elapses while playing the game. So you wont lose any of your  insurance if you aren't playing. Game time is, however, run at a faster time than real life.

Here are some quotes:

"So the ship insurance [SHI] goes by in-game-time. So we don’t, like, if we say its three months of time on you insurance or six months or a year on your insurance; that is game-time not play-time. So if you play the game for a day and don’t come back for six months you won’t have like, your insurance won’t have run out, 

All the sort of things that happen in the universe are on the time in the game, so it’s not real, like real life time, it is real time in the universe. So if you’re playing and not flying one of your ships and you’ve gone through three or four months of game time, then yes you would have to keep up your insurance like you would in the real world"

"Like in real-life insurance should be a relatively small part of your regular in game expenses which will also include paying landing fees, trade tariffs (if in a system with lots of infrastructure and law and order), fuel (if you don’t collect it yourself from a gas giant), buying cargo to trade, hiring help, making upgrades to your ship or even buying a whole new ship.

Some of the additional policies like upgrade or cargo insurance will be rated based on risk levels. Risk level 1 being the safest systems and risk level 5 being the most dangerous system that is insurable for cargo or upgrades. Any risk level over 5 is un-insurable. A risk 3 policy for cargo will cover you for all cargo losses in a risk 3 system or below. The higher the risk level of the policy the more it will cost.  As with the base insurance this will not be crippling financially but instead be a reasonable running cost that relates to the risk / reward profile of the systems flown."

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    and I still won't be spending any money until I see a released game, until then it's just one big money grab. Charles Ponzi would be proud.
    Originally posted by mbd1968
    and I still won't be spending any money until I see a released game, until then it's just one big money grab. Charles Ponzi would be proud.

So I take it you've never preordered a game or DLC before then, huh?

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by mbd1968

So I take it you've never preordered a game or DLC before then, huh?

only close to the end of beta when I know it will be released.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

you can earn creds without a ship taking on jobs working for pc crew or player crews

• motanilamotanila Member UncommonPosts: 152

it should be clarified once and for all:

SC release version + a starter ship: 30 $ (play when game is released)

or:

Want a better ship but not pay any $$$? Go work for it as a pilot and buy it in the game when it´s released.

Insurance is worth only a few credits, you earn it easily in game anyway.

You know how crowdfunding works? Good.

Looks like your sources are better then mine. How many credits will be the insurance for aurora ?

Also aurora have like 1% chance to win a chance against Superhornet or Phoenix, assuming simillar skill leve; for pilots.

Superhornet/Phoenix  have also 1% chance to win against an Idriss.

Idriss will die against 2000$ carrier fitted with bombers.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

You haven't been reading the threads then.

No I haven't. When things get out of hand or stupid I tend to find something better to do.

I'm surprised this thread even needs to exist, it's 2 or 3 clicks to find out this info and anyone that doesn't do that is choosing to be ignorant.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by Denambren

With that in mind, I am not sure I agree with your argument that the pre-alpha should have a fully implemented ship progression system for you to play through. There may be one that appears at some point, but we can both agree this is pre-alpha, yes?

There won't be a ship-progression system in AC.

They said they might introduce some ways of gaining credits, but you can't buy ships with credits.

And even that is a long way off.

..Cake..