Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When ?.....Its the ONLY important question.

Comments

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    The connection was loose at best. The point is that I think SOE may have a growing concern that they may not be creating the game they are hoping for.

Why's that?

Originally posted by Brenics

ROFL, you guys are something else. How many times has Sony let you guys down? Widlstar was going to be that all great game, then came AA and you really think EQN is going to be that one great game.

SONY has let all you down before and they will do it again. My God when will you guys wake up. :-D

I seen how Wildstar was going to be and knew it would fail, AA has a lot of great points but the botters and internet cafe's are what hurt the overall game. It wasn't made for us, it was made to force people to spend money even if you subbed. A lot like LOTRO, which I think is the worse F2P game to play because even if you sub you tend to still purchase things from store if you really want to advance. I believe these oversea and F2P games have ruined our MMO's but who am I and my opinion knows no more than the rest of you.

While I don't disagree with how those games work, beyond a game releasing and closing a month later, hard to call any of them "failures." Might not be what you or I want, but seems plenty of others are more then willing to play and fork over cash.

Sony hasn't really ever let me down, my home entertainment system is mostly Sony and works fine =)

SOE though has been like every other single game company. They make a product, people love/hate it, they make changes, people love/hate those, repeat. Can't please everyone. I loved early EQ, disliked EQ2. Like PS2, didn't play FreeRealms. I can't name one company that hasn't "let me down" given enough time. Just the nature of the world and gaming.

If a company hadn't let me down within the last ~19 years that I've been online gaming, I wouldn't be here typing away about a game not near release. Every once in a while I get the urge to fire up a MUD as they never let me down, simply got replaced by pretty visuals. Sadly can't go back and have the same experience.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Allein

ROFL, you guys are something else. How many times has Sony let you guys down? Widlstar was going to be that all great game, then came AA and you really think EQN is going to be that one great game.

SONY has let all you down before and they will do it again. My God when will you guys wake up. :-D

I seen how Wildstar was going to be and knew it would fail, AA has a lot of great points but the botters and internet cafe's are what hurt the overall game. It wasn't made for us, it was made to force people to spend money even if you subbed. A lot like LOTRO, which I think is the worse F2P game to play because even if you sub you tend to still purchase things from store if you really want to advance. I believe these oversea and F2P games have ruined our MMO's but who am I and my opinion knows no more than the rest of you.

While I don't disagree with how those games work, beyond a game releasing and closing a month later, hard to call any of them "failures." Might not be what you or I want, but seems plenty of others are more then willing to play and fork over cash.

Sony hasn't really ever let me down, my home entertainment system is mostly Sony and works fine =)

SOE though has been like every other single game company. They make a product, people love/hate it, they make changes, people love/hate those, repeat. Can't please everyone. I loved early EQ, disliked EQ2. Like PS2, didn't play FreeRealms. I can't name one company that hasn't "let me down" given enough time. Just the nature of the world and gaming.

If a company hadn't let me down within the last ~19 years that I've been online gaming, I wouldn't be here typing away about a game not near release. Every once in a while I get the urge to fire up a MUD as they never let me down, simply got replaced by pretty visuals. Sadly can't go back and have the same experience.

Sounds like you have a lot of time to sit around the house and play with a lot of stuff....I wish I had that time, but I have to go to work :(

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    No, the what and the how are much more important, when is irrelevant if the answers to the first two are disagreeable.

I dunno, I honestly prefer to find out the what and how questions in the beta. Reading every single post and article about a game tend to give me the wrong expectations. And no matter what no amount of information can really tell us how fun the game is to play, some games tend to sound boring but is really fun once I try them and some games sounds really cool but  just feels boring to play. Hands on experience is frankly the only thing that truly counts.

I do think at least an educated guess when the beta starts would be very nice.

Of course a bit reading and some screenshots is always nice but I kinda feel that they hyped up the game a bit early.

Originally posted by delete5230

Sounds like you have a lot of time to sit around the house and play with a lot of stuff....I wish I had that time, but I have to go to work :(

I just got home from work =)

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

SOE is building a rube goldberg machine with silly toons. Hopefully they will give themselves time to change their own minds.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    EQN has "Titan" written all over it

Guess we'll mark you down as sceptical.

I like the fact that they are really trying to make something that's not the same old same old. I don't think it's got Titan written all over it.

2016 would be fine by me

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by laserit

I like the fact that they are really trying to make something that's not the same old same old. I don't think it's got Titan written all over it.

2016 would be fine by me

I am skeptical. I can't argue that it's good they are trying something different, but I just don't think the final product will live up to the hype. They never do.

2016 would be fine by me

I am skeptical. I can't argue that it's good they are trying something different, but I just don't think the final product will live up to the hype. They never do.

I would imagine that your like me in that we have played video games going on 4 decades now. I use to get hyped when I was younger, l would get hyped over a lot of things. At my age I'm more of a realist.

2016 would be fine by me

I would imagine that your like me in that we have played video games going on 4 decades now. I use to get hyped when I was younger, l would get hyped over a lot of things. At my age I'm more of a realist.

My issue now is that I just don't see SOE as the company to make good on these promises. And I really do expect to see a lot of what we saw with GW2.

I remember watching that video with Mike Obrien. About how much we are really gonna love GW2. And he goes on to list a truck load of features GW2 will have and also goes on to explain what they will do and how they will play out. Yeah sure, the features were present in the game, but they did not play out anywhere near as good as that video played them up. Almost every new feature ANET released into the genre was more like a trade off. Sure there were some great things GW2 did, but not every aspect of them was. It left me thinking. "Yeah, sure it's different, and sure GW2 was fun. but was it really all tha tmuch better?" No, not really. Good game? yes. Great game? no. 

Frankly, I think this would be the best that SOE can hope for. But I have very little faith that SOE will actually deliver anything really all that good. At best, it could be halfway decent.

• Gregor999Gregor999 Member Posts: 86
    It will release when they've stolen enough ideas from landmark players.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

OP you are like a small child, surrounded by toys, while sitting and watching  TV.   An ad for the latest and greatest toy comes on and you are OOH OOH!  I want that! I want that!!  Gimmee gimmee!!

Plenty of toys to play with now, and when EQN comes it will get tossed in the corner, like the rest of the toys.   OOH OOH I want that one!!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

My issue now is that I just don't see SOE as the company to make good on these promises. And I really do expect to see a lot of what we saw with GW2.

I remember watching that video with Mike Obrien. About how much we are really gonna love GW2. And he goes on to list a truck load of features GW2 will have and also goes on to explain what they will do and how they will play out. Yeah sure, the features were present in the game, but they did not play out anywhere near as good as that video played them up. Almost every new feature ANET released into the genre was more like a trade off. Sure there were some great things GW2 did, but not every aspect of them was. It left me thinking. "Yeah, sure it's different, and sure GW2 was fun. but was it really all tha tmuch better?" No, not really. Good game? yes. Great game? no. 

Frankly, I think this would be the best that SOE can hope for. But I have very little faith that SOE will actually deliver anything really all that good. At best, it could be halfway decent.

Can you say any company/game has been different then this? A game not living up to individual/community hype isn't the devs fault. If they said XYZ would be in game, they will do ABC and they followed through on that, seems like they did good. We might not enjoy the design as much as they thought or said we would, but I'm pretty sure that's why marketing/ads exist. "Buy this now, it is the best thing you'll ever own, cause we think so!"

SOE is also giving a truck load of features, which already people are either excited or upset about. When it comes to release, those views my swap, go up/down, whatever. Again, don't know of any game that has been any different.

Beyond Betas, I didn't buy Wildstar, ESO, or SWTOR. Why? Because it was obvious that the features they had weren't what I was looking for. They aren't bad games, just not for me. They delivered for the most part, but doubt they met every single expectation that every fan had beforehand.

When SOE starts releasing ads like this, I'll be concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGRMWxg9ZcM

Originally posted by Boneserino

OP you are like a small child, surrounded by toys, while sitting and watching  TV.   An ad for the latest and greatest toy comes on and you are OOH OOH!  I want that! I want that!!  Gimmee gimmee!!

Plenty of toys to play with now, and when EQN comes it will get tossed in the corner, like the rest of the toys.   OOH OOH I want that one!!

It's very obvious when people have no clue how a game is developed or specifically what SOE is doing with EQN. Which I can understand as I've never seen it done before to this degree, but the impatience of some folks is just funny. "Why is the game not out? They showed a sword model 2 weeks ago!!!!"

It's very obvious when people have no clue how a game is developed or specifically what SOE is doing with EQN. Which I can understand as I've never seen it done before to this degree, but the impatience of some folks is just funny. "Why is the game not out? They showed a sword model 2 weeks ago!!!!"

Well Allein.......I must say, you have a nice way with words. Your good as spinning a topic and making things sound just ok.  That's great, it really is :) 

BUT :

The facts are facts, we've been reading about this game for years here on mmorpg.com.....YET no release in sight !

Now here is something I find very important :

Video game developers had always been good at blowing smoke up peoples butts. I remember back before the internet was popular, people would go to there local department or game store and read the back of the box.  EVERY game sounded great until you got home and loaded it, only to find it not near what you expected.  Most were un playable after part way through. It was common knowledge that you were stuck with it.

Well, things haven't changed with the internet.  Now we have one sided podcast made by the developers. Often there animated cartoons that have no relationship to game play.  Yet, people seem to get sucked into them and believe this crap.

Good example " Warhammer "  remember that flop ?.....Wildstar was much the same :)

Can I ask ?  Do we have any actual game play footage of EQ Next ?.....Forgive me for being a little naive, but I can't seem to get myself to research something so far away !

Well Allein.......I must say, you have a nice way with words. Your good as spinning a topic and making things sound just ok.  That's great, it really is :) 

BUT :

The facts are facts, we've been reading about this game for years here on mmorpg.com.....YET no release in sight !

Video game developers had always been good at blowing smoke up peoples butts. I remember back before the internet was popular, people would go to there local department or game store and read the back of the box.  EVERY game sounded great until you got home and loaded it, only to find it not near what you expected.  Most were un playable after part way through. It was common knowledge that you were stuck with it.

Well, things haven't changed with the internet.  Now we have one sided podcast made by the developers. Often there animated cartoons that have no relationship to game play.  Yet, people seem to get sucked into them and believe this crap.

Good example " Warhammer "  remember that flop ?.....Wildstar was much the same :)

Can I ask ?  Do we have any actual game play footage of EQ Next ?.....Forgive me for being a little naive, but I can't seem to get myself to research something so far away !

Kind of like watching the trailer of a movie and finding out that the rest of the movie sucked (the trailer was the only good part)

hasn't it only been since Aug 2013 that soe has been giving out info about the game? That's just over a year ago and not years, but with the old dried up raisin between my ears I might be mistaken.

Thanks

BUT :

No offense but if the only info you have about EQN is from mmorpg.com, you probably should expand your sources a bit. Reddit sub where devs actually post once in a while, twitter, twitch, youtube vids, official SOE forums, etc. Lots of info out there for those wanting it, which at this point is mostly fans of the franchise, not random gamers looking for the next game to beat.

Let's play hypothetical for a second, SOE tomorrow announces EQN release date May 1st 2016. What happens then? The masses rise up in cheer? The critics cry foul? Life goes on until then? I totally get wanting things set in stone, but there is no reason for them to do so. Game is going to be F2P, they are developing it slowly and taking fans along for the ride. Instead of Beta, Release, hope the game doesn't suck.

Very true and again, they are actually pulling back the curtain, maybe not fully, but quite a lot compared to almost any game I've seen in the market. Along with being F2P, you aren't suckered in to buying hype. Install for free, game sucks, uninstall. They don't owe anyone a release date or hard facts at this stage. No reason to. The hype train is fueled mainly by those silly enough to get on board. It is just a game after all.

So if you ran a company, made a product, or otherwise were trying to make money off people, you'd start with "Well it might not be perfect or what you want, but give it a try anyway?" Pretty honest, but not a smart business move. Again, if people believe the "crap" that's on them. Common sense apparently hard to come by these days.

Wildstar was at least honest. They said they were making a vanilla WoW clone for the most part. Which is seems to be. Might not be a mega hit, but it hasn't closed down yet. I actually enjoyed WAR quite a lot. Unfortunately their "end game" didn't pan out and they missed the boat. Lots of potential, but they overshot. Some of the best classes I've ever played though. It is actually one of the few big games to close down, SWG being another. Almost all other AAA "flops" "failures" "crap" games are still around in some form.

As in full fledged "this is the game" footage? Not so much. But there are several videos of demos of races/classes/combat/skills in action. Not a total package, but showing off what will be possible. There is also an entire game that is the foundation of EQN (Landmark) that is playable and very easy to see what will be possible in EQN. There are hours and hours of SOE Live panels, vids on youtube and twitch of both games. 

As I said above, unless you are a fan of the franchise or really like what you've seen/heard, there isn't much reason to follow a game so far away. Myself, I started with EQ and do not enjoy any current games or have much interest in those coming. EQN gets my attention. I don't expect others to do the same, but if you aren't going to at least try to research, seems rather pointless to complain that you don't have any up to date details.

EQN is in development. That's what we have. When it goes to Beta/Release, I'm sure mmorpg.com's front page will have an article about it. Until then, I'd say don't waste your time. If you are interested in what the game looks like or what it might be like, there is plenty of resources to give you an idea.

Thanks

BUT :

No offense but if the only info you have about EQN is from mmorpg.com, you probably should expand your sources a bit. Reddit sub where devs actually post once in a while, twitter, twitch, youtube vids, official SOE forums, etc. Lots of info out there for those wanting it, which at this point is mostly fans of the franchise, not random gamers looking for the next game to beat.

Let's play hypothetical for a second, SOE tomorrow announces EQN release date May 1st 2016. What happens then? The masses rise up in cheer? The critics cry foul? Life goes on until then? I totally get wanting things set in stone, but there is no reason for them to do so. Game is going to be F2P, they are developing it slowly and taking fans along for the ride. Instead of Beta, Release, hope the game doesn't suck.

Very true and again, they are actually pulling back the curtain, maybe not fully, but quite a lot compared to almost any game I've seen in the market. Along with being F2P, you aren't suckered in to buying hype. Install for free, game sucks, uninstall. They don't owe anyone a release date or hard facts at this stage. No reason to. The hype train is fueled mainly by those silly enough to get on board. It is just a game after all.

So if you ran a company, made a product, or otherwise were trying to make money off people, you'd start with "Well it might not be perfect or what you want, but give it a try anyway?" Pretty honest, but not a smart business move. Again, if people believe the "crap" that's on them. Common sense apparently hard to come by these days.

Wildstar was at least honest. They said they were making a vanilla WoW clone for the most part. Which is seems to be. Might not be a mega hit, but it hasn't closed down yet. I actually enjoyed WAR quite a lot. Unfortunately their "end game" didn't pan out and they missed the boat. Lots of potential, but they overshot. Some of the best classes I've ever played though. It is actually one of the few big games to close down, SWG being another. Almost all other AAA "flops" "failures" "crap" games are still around in some form.

As in full fledged "this is the game" footage? Not so much. But there are several videos of demos of races/classes/combat/skills in action. Not a total package, but showing off what will be possible. There is also an entire game that is the foundation of EQN (Landmark) that is playable and very easy to see what will be possible in EQN. There are hours and hours of SOE Live panels, vids on youtube and twitch of both games. 

As I said above, unless you are a fan of the franchise or really like what you've seen/heard, there isn't much reason to follow a game so far away. Myself, I started with EQ and do not enjoy any current games or have much interest in those coming. EQN gets my attention. I don't expect others to do the same, but if you aren't going to at least try to research, seems rather pointless to complain that you don't have any up to date details.

EQN is in development. That's what we have. When it goes to Beta/Release, I'm sure mmorpg.com's front page will have an article about it. Until then, I'd say don't waste your time. If you are interested in what the game looks like or what it might be like, there is plenty of resources to give you an idea.

See....... You spun it around again.

You've taken a few facts and were able to contradict using several paragraphs in doing so.

Your good at this, I'll have to come up with a few more facts, just to see how can wiggle around them. I'll bet you can talk your way out of a 125 MPH speeding ticket.......I can spin a topic too but your the best :)....Try getting a job at SOE, you have potential.

• rusrecrusrec Member UncommonPosts: 52

Not sure how telling you there's material out there is spin, but some people will never be satisfied unless everything is handed to them on a silver platter, so here's what I know to be the most recent gameplay footage.  IMHO SOE has been almost excessively open about their development and plans.  The have regular podcasts, the community is building a large majority of the world in EQN Landmark, and they've had major releases at SOE Live, E3 and other major gaming events the last couple years.

Originally posted by rusrec

Not sure how telling you there's material out there is spin, but some people will never be satisfied unless everything is handed to them on a silver platter, so here's what I know to be the most recent gameplay footage.  IMHO SOE has been almost excessively open about their development and plans.  The have regular podcasts, the community is building a large majority of the world in EQN Landmark, and they've had major releases at SOE Live, E3 and other major gaming events the last couple years.

While I agree there are people out there who would never be satisfied unless it was handed on a silver platter, I think in general, many are skeptical or unsatisfied, because what was actually handed out had little to do with being on a silver platter, but simply wasn't what was promised. Or as in the history of SoE, they snatched back what was handed out and broke it.

You've taken a few facts and were able to contradict using several paragraphs in doing so.

Your good at this, I'll have to come up with a few more facts, just to see how can wiggle around them. I'll bet you can talk your way out of a 125 MPH speeding ticket.......I can spin a topic too but your the best :)....Try getting a job at SOE, you have potential.

Not sure what I'm spinning. We are stating our opinions, not facts from the looks of it. Your view seems to come from "I haven't seen it on the mmorpg.com homepage so it doesn't exist" where I'm coming from actually following the game. I'm still just giving my opinion on what I've seen though. Feel free to come up with some more "facts" but you don't seem to add much to the conversation. You want a date, they aren't giving it yet, the end. I did actually apply at SOE to be an EQ CSR back in the early days but ended up taking a position elsewhere (I live 20 min or so from SOE HQ in San Diego). Don't think I'm good at spinning things, but I try to be some what objective even within my own subjective opinion. I'm not a blind fanboi or a knee jerk critic.

Not sure what I'm spinning. We are stating our opinions, not facts from the looks of it. Your view seems to come from "I haven't seen it on the mmorpg.com homepage so it doesn't exist" where I'm coming from actually following the game. I'm still just giving my opinion on what I've seen though. Feel free to come up with some more "facts" but you don't seem to add much to the conversation. You want a date, they aren't giving it yet, the end. I did actually apply at SOE to be an EQ CSR back in the early days but ended up taking a position elsewhere (I live 20 min or so from SOE HQ in San Diego). Don't think I'm good at spinning things, but I try to be some what objective even within my own subjective opinion. I'm not a blind fanboi or a knee jerk critic.

That's cool Allein,

I hope you don't think I'm picking on you or anything like that. Your Good,

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286

Id rather have silence from the developers for years (because they need the time to fix things) and a polished game at release as some PR Hype all the time and broken promises.

Ok having conversation with the customers is even better, but sometimes this ends with fans having high expectations and dissapointment when the suggested ideas cant (or wont) be implemented into the game.

Especially in a big company the developers themself mostly dont have much freedom when people in suits are deciding which way the development goes.

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

to me it looks like EQN for the second time, in its development, have been putted abit on the backburner....first time when they decided to redo the game, not from scratch as they said, art and models would be the same, just what the game is all about had changed, and then pushed out planetside 2 instead, and now again with H1Z1, seems they want to push that game out sooner too.

also as someone else said, if you want an idea of how far off EQN is you can watch Landmark development video´s, they do talk quite abit about EQN in those...or watch youtube video´s of Landmark, just to get an idea of how far they are with combat and the basic game elements.

I agree though, they have started talk about EQN way too soon...but as said....I think it have pushed the game aside a couple of times. SOE always rush out their games, the whole reason their almost non exsistant EQ2 dev team can manage to make expansions every year. Just now they know that it is possible to sell early access to people, so they dont have to claim their games is actually done when sold - PS2 should be the last game where they had to make that claim  :P

• SinjaiSinjai Member Posts: 9
    I hate to be the bearer of horrific news, but the beta will not be released until the fall of 2018 with an official release date of late spring 2019.  Just move along there is nothing to see here.