Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anet decides to screw the Guild Wars 2 community with the latest update

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Vutar

Why the outrage? This is what F2P games do. They look for ways to convince their players to pay. What this thread shows me is that people are finally starting to understand that F2P games are not really F2P.

Should probably give Anet an award for teaching people a valuable lesson.

GW2 is a B2P game. A massive part of what a B2P game should do is look for ways to convince their players to pay through added value. For a B2P game that actually cares of its customers this means expansion packs and other buyable content instead of adjusting some cash shop parameter so that you're essentially paying more for the same value. This doesn't add any value to the player, only to the sleazy developer.

Just because a game is B2P doesn't mean the devs can't go about making their customers pay through methods that both the customers and the devs benefit from. A.k.a expansion packs. I would say the situation should be much better than in F2P because the devs actually have incentive to develop expansion packs since you have to pay for them. ArenaNet clearly is not so concerned about actually doing that though, as it's been two years with no exp pack in sight.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Actions like this is exactly why NCSoft in general has been put in my 'bad book'. I thought $O€ was bad on milking players, but NCSoft recently is doing a much better job...
  • IsidiusIsidius Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Come on Anet - Perfect World (a very greedy company)...not even they pull a stunt like this on their game Neverwinter. You can buy whatever amount of cash shop points (Zen) for the currency you earn in game (Astral Diamonds). The reasons they stated in their forums was pretty crappy as well.
  • PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

On the B2P issue.  

GW1 was a B2P game funded through expansions and customer service requests (such as name changes etc).  Ad mittedly, later in its life it did introduce some cosmetic items in a cash shop.  

GW2 is effectively a F2P model recouping money largely via fluff in the cash shop and currency exchanges; but it also has a box price which means it is actually a shitter version of the F2P model.  The B2P label was just a lot of sales bullshit.   

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

Wow..just wow.  I mean, you expect this from a developer that has a history of putting something into their flagship game that they know will be controversial and met with rage...they then say they are listening to our feedback, and then do nothing. Quietly wait it out until we settle down.  Which is what is happening.  But this is just a new low for Arenanet.  Why tinker with a system that is so closely tied to consumer spending?  

Everything in the OP is right on, everything being said in the actual GW2 forum post is right on.  Im not playing the game at the moment, but had to log in to fuel some of the playerbases' rage because arenanet deserves everything coming their way.  Greedy..

Not helping your reputation arenanet.

• The.agGThe.agG Member Posts: 119

It seems some people here don't realise how much cash Anet rakes in through the GW2 Gem shop, especially during their events.

P.S. It's a lot. Players who have invested upwards of $500 aren't rare and i know personally a few of them. This is just them being plain greedy.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by The.agG

It seems some people here don't realise how much cash Anet rakes in through the GW2 Gem shop, especially during their events.

P.S. It's a lot. Players who have invested upwards of $500 aren't rare and i know personally a few of them. This is just them being plain greedy.

so what is the percentage of players who spend that much money every month? 80%? 70%? 60%? i am not ANet supporter, if anything i don't like GW2 at all for several reasons but they are giving away entire core game for only 60$, you will never see any other company doing that with such massive game. you should be happy and bow your head in respect as they give you the chance to convert gold to gem. As far as i can see you are the one who is being greedy here not ANet.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Originally posted by jesteralways

so what is the percentage of players who spend that much money every month? 80%? 70%? 60%? i am not ANet supporter, if anything i don't like GW2 at all for several reasons but they are giving away entire core game for only 60$, you will never see any other company doing that with such massive game. you should be happy and bow your head in respect as they give you the chance to convert gold to gem. As far as i can see you are the one who is being greedy here not ANet.

It's a MMO and the B2P was their decision. By that logic, look at games like Rift and Tera who are completely F2P and offer more content. Rift even has quite a lot of value added contents every few months along with an expansion. That takes care of your claim that you will see any other company do this. In fact, there are companies doing better.

And like many have said, the playerbase (the people who like the game and want to continue playing it) want them to focus on expansions and not on costumes and RNG boxes. Instead they are making it even worse. The Living World thing barely added anything to the game. In the past 2 years, they have only added Fractals, EOTM, some holiday events and a few dungeons and revamps here and there. The players will gladly pay them for an expansion instead of the BS we have going on right now.

And even if there aren't many players that have spent more $500, there are tons who spent less than that. Gold isn't that as easy as you think. Not everyone can buy everything using direct in-game gold.

Most importantly, the values fluctuate as well as it all depends on how many people are selling Gems. Just the fact that it exists means that there are players who are selling Gems bought using RL money.

TL;DR Its not a Currency Converter, it's a Currency Exchanger. It's basically like PLEX.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Vesavius

This is the harsh reality of monetizing a no sub game.

I guess all the people saying that they like F2P as long as the shop only sells cosmetics didn't buy enough cosmetics. I guess what they meant by 'cosmetics' though was "stuff that i don't ever have to, and of course won't ever, buy".

Take away the sub from a AAA MMORPG and it seems people expect it to run on fresh air and just be provided as a gift to them for entertainment.

F2P, and B2P, advocates are reaping the seeds they helped sow. 

Maybe now, after the blinders are lifted, we can get the genre to move back to the more economical and fair minded subscription model.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Lol what are you whining about a mmo should not have cash shop in the first place these games are worse.

Cash shop in GW2 is terrible and stupid.

All who spent money in cash shop should not whine.

GW2 was already crap after beta weekends when the dumb down begin with make it more easy.

Big let down GW2 bought collectors edition well gave nice CHARR statue getting dust but played game for couple months then quit because of dumb down cash shop cheating dumb pvp zergs and dungeon treadmill introduced.

Came back after 1.5 years seeing one tiny lvl80 map expansion for new area thats all.

What a joke this game is, as so many these days.

Whole game market ruined specially PC with so many console crap released on it bah.

Back to old school leave the crap to others.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

It's a MMO and the B2P was their decision. By that logic, look at games like Rift and Tera who are completely F2P and offer more content. Rift even has quite a lot of value added contents every few months along with an expansion. That takes care of your claim that you will see any other company do this. In fact, there are companies doing better.

And like many have said, the playerbase (the people who like the game and want to continue playing it) want them to focus on expansions and not on costumes and RNG boxes. Instead they are making it even worse. The Living World thing barely added anything to the game. In the past 2 years, they have only added Fractals, EOTM, some holiday events and a few dungeons and revamps here and there. The players will gladly pay them for an expansion instead of the BS we have going on right now.

And even if there aren't many players that have spent more $500, there are tons who spent less than that. Gold isn't that as easy as you think. Not everyone can buy everything using direct in-game gold.

Most importantly, the values fluctuate as well as it all depends on how many people are selling Gems. Just the fact that it exists means that there are players who are selling Gems bought using RL money.

TL;DR Its not a Currency Converter, it's a Currency Exchanger. It's basically like PLEX.

Ok let me understand this, you are saying that someone buys GEM and then put it up in exchange so that those who don't spend money can buy GEM with GOLD? If it is then it is like PLEX. but last time i played in their free weekend was not like that, i remember that anyone with enough gold farmed could just buy GEMS directly from CASH SHOP, it is not like PLEX or REX, it is just ANet losing money.  or did i just see it wrong?

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Ok let me understand this, you are saying that someone buys GEM and then put it up in exchange so that those who don't spend money can buy GEM with GOLD? If it is then it is like PLEX. but last time i played in their free weekend was not like that, i remember that anyone with enough gold farmed could just buy GEMS directly from CASH SHOP, it is not like PLEX or REX, it is just ANet losing money.  or did i just see it wrong?

I said it's like PLEX, it isn't exactly PLEX. Maybe PLEX was a bad example as you can't list your price on it but the prices fluctuate depending on the supply and demand. When i started the game, conversion was extremely cheap. Now, it's insanely costly because economy is inflated as is in every MMO and the supply of Gems isn't like before. There is also a 15% transaction fee for every exchange. Here is a forum post with an official Anet reply.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/bltc/Currency-Exchange-Inflation

The point is people are continuously buying Gems which makes the exchange possible. It's not Anet allowing you to convert freely Gold to Gem directly from their side. It's an exchange.

Here's a graph of the insane inflation since launch.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/gem

Click on the "all" Tab.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Some old GW2. They've been pissing on players and calling it rain from day one.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I guess all the people saying that they like F2P as long as the shop only sells cosmetics didn't buy enough cosmetics. I guess what they meant by 'cosmetics' though was "stuff that i don't ever have to, and of course won't ever, buy".

Take away the sub from a AAA MMORPG and it seems people expect it to run on fresh air and just be provided as a gift to them for entertainment.

ANET decided for the game to be B2P, not the players.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by grimal

What a confusing statement of the obvious.

We are clearly talking about those who advocated and championed the model.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Maybe now, after the blinders are lifted, we can get the genre to move back to the more economical and fair minded subscription model.

It would be nice to think that, but I can't see it happen any time soon.

But then, when these forums were staunchly pro themepark I never thought that I would see the direction of fashionable opinion spin so quickly towards sandpark design.

Maybe I am wrong here as well and general opinion will flip in a very short time. Fingers crossed.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

It's not confusing.  You are just trying to shift the blame to the players as if their support for the B2P model and how it was described by ANET somehow makes ANET less culpable.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

A company looks for a way to solidify their revenue stream.

They think of a way to do so in which doesn't impact gameplay, or burden players unnecessarily.

I think it's smart on the part of ANet. You don't have to use gems for anything in the game if you don't want to.

If you like the game, support it. You can always convert gold to gems and still not pay a dime (and that's still supporting the company, players in game are worth something, even if it doesn't show up on an income sheet).

Yes, this shifted the market, it will settle eventually.

It's not like they suddenly announced there is a subscription fee, or that the next legendary items were only available on the marketplace, or they introduced another currency that was cash only and not tradeable.

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    Im sure that's what they did, they spent a week behind locked door deciding, "how can we screw our player base", yep.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

It's not confusing.  You are just trying to shift the blame to the players as if their support for the B2P model and how it was described by ANET somehow makes ANET less culpable.

Well, clearly you find it confusing, because that's not what I said at all.

I do blame the players that staunchly advocated and defended F2P/ B2P for where we are now, true.

But I also equally blame the companies for their unethical profiteering.

I blame both. Look at the bit in red. It's a clue.

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by gunmanvlad

Don't really see why people complain. The cash shop is the only continuous way ANET makes any money off GW2, it would stand to reason that they would try to make it as enticing as possible. And honestly, the fact that you can earn in-game any of the cash-shop items (priced at market forces) is more than what many F2P games offer anyway.

Last time I checked GW2 doesn't have mandatory gear progression for gated content, or gear-based competitive PvP like *other MMOs* other there. So there is no reason why gold would allow one to see and do more content than anyone else. They even flippin' removed repair costs so bad players wouldn't be punished so much currency-wise.

The damn cash-shop itself is for fuff like equipment skins, pets, etc. And it's not even priced badly!!! (Neverwinter 40$ mounts anyone?)  Anyone reacting "OMG they actually want us to PAY for entertainment?!?!?" is nuts imo...

Now...come and talk to me about lack of solid meaningful content updates, or lack of class optimization and we'll share a cup of tea and biscuits!

i agree with you, still gem store in gw2 is better than all the games i played, like rift and swtor.

swtor is basically not free to play, so much limitations for free accounts . so swtor is a sub based game in fact

rift.good extra bonus and stuff for patron,even if you are patron you still have to buy important stuff like souls

gw2 gem store is skip able the only thing i bought from it was outfit and never cared about the rest unlike other games shops which has important or best looking skins in it.

but like you said the reall issue is content updates and lack of expansion. 

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    And this is why I don't play F2P/B2P games.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Ah the wonders of free to play. Damned if you pay, damned if you dont pay.

How do you think Anet manages to pay everyone and keep the game up?

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

blah blah, doom and gloom posts for every little change. Just go to sleep. Or get a life. 

Gem to gold ratio has doubled which is to be expected after every update they did, do and will do in the future. 

I can't count the golds i made converting back and forth before and after living world update. You just wait 2 more weeks to see the price skyrocket further and then normalizing. 

Yes .. that has been happening for the past year and a half, if not more. You're welcome! 

All of you wanted something to work towards in Gw2. Now work for that batch of 400gems! You just got served :) 

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524

I don't think the BTP model is to blame here; but how ANET is using it. I've always said that gw2 payment model was one of the best out there  (maybe second to the RIFT model?); but after this change i don't really know anymore.

It's not a matter of selling cosmetics or p2w items, it's a matter of limiting players from converting gold to gems to obviously grab more cash. I don't think anyone disagree with the fact that new players couldn't care less about this change. I mean, GW2 is probably the slowest game i ever played when it came to make money; and unless they made it easy to get 75g (probably 100g now with the price spike) new players won't be able to get anything for a long time from the shop.

Not to mention that this change is probably not going to affect their lack(uster) content