Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Alienware Alpha? Thoughts?

cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345

Does this beat my pc below or about the same, Im on limited space  and if I can do away with all the deskop space and use the monitor on my wall it may be worth it..

Exclusive Alienware Alpha Console Interface w/ Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 Bit, English

Alienware Alpha with HDMI Cable

Intel® Core™ i7-4765T Quad-Core processor (8M Cache, up to 3.0 GHz)

8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz

2TB SATA 6Gb/s

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0

Intel Wireless AC 7265 Driver, DAO

Alpha chassis with NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU 2GB GDDR5 <<<think its an 860M

Does it beat my PC cause these look interesting if I can eliminate all this desktop space.?????

FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9)

1 x ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

1 x GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Vi

120gb SSD Drive----1tb backup

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by cichy1012

Alpha chassis with NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU 2GB GDDR5 <<

Never, ever, ever assume that it's better than they explicitly tell you.  If it were a GTX 860M, they'd tell you so.  What they do tell you is this:

"a custom NVIDIA Maxwell GTX graphics with 2GB GDDR5 memory"

At best, there's a chance that it could be a GTX 850M.  Likely as not, it's a further cut down version of the chip in the GTX 750 in order to give Nvidia a way to get rid of defective dies without having to create another official bin.

And the ultimate answer is, no, it's not as good as what you have now.  Not even close.

Why can't you just use the "monitor on your wall" with your current desktop?  Maybe you'd need to buy a $2 adapter in order to be able to plug it into your video card, but that's a lot cheaper than buying a $900 computer.

If you want a small desktop, then get a small desktop.  For example, build a desktop around this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163237

• MyxzoidMyxzoid Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Thats Dell's version of the Steam Box.Spec wise you can still build a better and more powerful one cheaper then what they have listed.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Alpha chassis with NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU 2GB GDDR5 <<

That should be a concern more than anything else. Highly doubtful its an 860M. If it were they would tell you. Most likely a bottom of the barrel GPU and all for a premium price.

If you need to save desktop space then put your hardware in something like this~

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352028

I rebuilt my tower into a case like that and have it in my entertainment center now.  Or the case that Quizzical linked, whichever suits your needs. With an ATX motherboard you will need a case that holds that size hardware or replace the board to something smaller.

A little research on a case that fits your hardware and suits your needs is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying an alienware.