Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Play now

NytzNytz Member Posts: 3
Stop reading and download if u haven't already...but a word of caution. This game has the potential to cause your relationship to suffer, and your dog to go unfed. With an unheard of amount of levelable skills and a huge world to explore, where sheer accidents and even your own death can gain you XP.  Best game I've played in a long, long, time.

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    God another 'play this game while it's half done' post. Finish a game properly and give gamers the product you are promising and less focus on early profits.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    God another 'play this game while it's half done' post. Finish a game properly and give gamers the product you are promising and less focus on early profits.

It's Free.

Just don't pay.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

I get the response, would I not have played the game I would have reacted the same way. But really, Project:Gorgon is different. It is perfectly playable, has got tons of features and is completely free to download. It actually feels more finished then a lot of released MMORPGs and has dozens of great ideas implemented while also feeling oldschool and deep.

for anyone slightly interested, just try it for a bit, you might walk away a believer.

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

The OP has one post.  If it looks like a marketing ploy, and smells like a marketing ploy, it's probably a marketing ploy.

• NytzNytz Member Posts: 3
    Guess i should have mentioned it was 100% free to play at this point, no one is making a profit and there's not even a cash shop implemented.  The dev's are giving the gamers what they want by being in-game and letting the community have an active role in decision making towards the games future.
  • NytzNytz Member Posts: 3
    OP has one post cuz he's too busy normally to post unless its worth it.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Game is indeed good. It is very playable. It is very much an old school pve mmo with very interesting new tech systems.

If you like it support it so it can indeed be finished with more polish. Soon their site will have a donation option. The more I play the more I will likely throw them something close to a minor subscription per month. They are paying to keep a server up with a game more playable then most late beta AAA mmos manage. Better than shitty released by far.

@Bladestrom: This is a very small dev team project. They need support. If you have no interest then don't play and stop being all pissy. Got nothing good to say? Then don't say it. Learn some manners.

You stay sassy!

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Just started playing it this week, and I have to say it has me hooked.   I even went on to Steam and gave it the green light vote. 

Just a word of advice, this is not a game for combat lovers.   The combat in the game is tab target and press the keys for skills.  Having said that, you do die a lot in this game.  It even gives you a little headstone to mark where you died.

But this is really a game for PvE players who like to enjoy lots of different skills and activities in their MMO.   There are no quest markers to follow.  You talk to NPC's and do "favors" for them which count as quests but also gain you favor with that NPC.  And the quests are in no way linear.  You may be given a quest that is impossible to achieve unless you aquire the proper level in some skill.  Its an excellent game for players who like to explore.  In fact I would say to all the people who are pining for the old Vanguard, that this might be a game that will cause you to be happy again.

I could say more, but since the game is free, if you like exploring, questing and even a bit of grinding, this game will fill your needs nicely.  Graphics are far from top notch but certainly adequate for this game.  In fact the graphics also seem to add to the old school feel of it.

Give it a try peeps.  Solid indie development like this deserves to be recognized and given a chance.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I like this game, it has some good features, and i really enjoy that you can design your character the way you want.  It has one fatal flaw that makes me stop playing though (theres always one isn't there?), it's the fact that whenever I zone (go between dungeons or other parts of the world) that I have a 80% chance of just crashing to the desktop.  Now it's possible it's my system set up as it's in need of an upgarde but I don't encounter this on other games so there is that.

Either way I won't play a game where i'm afraid to cross a zone line because i'll just crash out of the game.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I admit I am a Project Gorgon addict!   I Gorgon in the morning, afternoon , and night whenever I can.  Although the game is in an alpha state, I would say it plays better than many games in beta.  How much does it cost to play the alpha ?  Another game popular on here asked for 150 dollars to test mostly a finished game.  No money is required.   Please donate if you love the game but you dont have to pay anything to play.  

As others have stated, this is a game for lovers of PvE.  Tons of skills and crafting.   There is talk about adding PvP but it is not the focus of the game and I doubt it ever will be.  Mycology , cheesemaking, textile creation, leathermaking, gardening, toolmaking, animal handling, are just a few of the activites available.  At the moment I am working on 46 different combat/non combat skills.  I have yet to discover all that is available.  The dev has plans to even increase what is currently in the game. 

• scarykids2scarykids2 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Just started playing it this week, and I have to say it has me hooked.   I even went on to Steam and gave it the green light vote. 

Just a word of advice, this is not a game for combat lovers.   The combat in the game is tab target and press the keys for skills.  Having said that, you do die a lot in this game.  It even gives you a little headstone to mark where you died.

But this is really a game for PvE players who like to enjoy lots of different skills and activities in their MMO.   There are no quest markers to follow.  You talk to NPC's and do "favors" for them which count as quests but also gain you favor with that NPC.  And the quests are in no way linear.  You may be given a quest that is impossible to achieve unless you aquire the proper level in some skill.  Its an excellent game for players who like to explore.  In fact I would say to all the people who are pining for the old Vanguard, that this might be a game that will cause you to be happy again.

I could say more, but since the game is free, if you like exploring, questing and even a bit of grinding, this game will fill your needs nicely.  Graphics are far from top notch but certainly adequate for this game.  In fact the graphics also seem to add to the old school feel of it.

Give it a try peeps.  Solid indie development like this deserves to be recognized and given a chance.

now when you say skills...do you mean like runescape skills? cuz i loved the hell out of those

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Seemed alright. I cut up a pig and got Non-Ruminant Ungulate Anatomy xp. I cut up a cow and got Ruminant Ungulate Anatomy xp. I cut up a rat and got Rodent anatomy. Skinned a few animals, did some favours for some NPCs etc but then I went back to the newb cave area and...

I'm not joking I got turned into a cow! Permanately. I guess the warning signs and writing coming up all over the screen wasn't for nothing. It's ok I can eat grass and Moo of Determination to summon my inner bull! Grinding for un-cowification now and going to kill that cow boss later with vengance. Also amused I had to ask a player to milk me as part of a quest because I needed milk. Lol.

But yeah, some old school fun and listen to the warning signs about that cow in the newb cave. Lol. Great game for some old schoolers out there.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Originally posted by emperorwings

Seemed alright. I cut up a pig and got Non-Ruminant Ungulate Anatomy xp. I cut up a cow and got Ruminant Ungulate Anatomy xp. I cut up a rat and got Rodent anatomy. Skinned a few animals, did some favours for some NPCs etc but then I went back to the newb cave area and...

I'm not joking I got turned into a cow! Permanately. I guess the warning signs and writing coming up all over the screen wasn't for nothing. It's ok I can eat grass and Moo of Determination to summon my inner bull! Grinding for un-cowification now and going to kill that cow boss later with vengance. Also amused I had to ask a player to milk me as part of a quest because I needed milk. Lol.

But yeah, some old school fun and listen to the warning signs about that cow in the newb cave. Lol. Great game for some old schoolers out there.

The part in yellow:

Yeah if i recall correctly that remains true of every boss encounter. You lose a little if you die to normal mobs or falling off a ledge, it's so little that you barely notice it. However if you die to a big encounter like that boss they can cast a transformation spell that turns you into them.

The oddest thing is you actually get xp for dying, and at certain points of xp, you get a stat increase, course you can't just die over and over again to the same mob, you gotta keep finding new things to die to.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Peer_GyntPeer_Gynt Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by Nytz
    Guess i should have mentioned it was 100% free to play at this point, no one is making a profit and there's not even a cash shop implemented.  The dev's are giving the gamers what they want by being in-game and letting the community have an active role in decision making towards the games future.

Wait. So They are offering their game no strings attached, and I can't even give them money if I wanted to? Those utter utter bastards. you know nothing of giving us hater bait on these forums Jon Snow. .... Downloading now!

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Yeah the death xp thing from what I gather you end up getting a free port to town eventually. (just from asking in game)

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

Ok nowwww I'm interested, lol. DL in progress!

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

Originally posted by whilan

I like this game, it has some good features, and i really enjoy that you can design your character the way you want.  It has one fatal flaw that makes me stop playing though (theres always one isn't there?), it's the fact that whenever I zone (go between dungeons or other parts of the world) that I have a 80% chance of just crashing to the desktop.  Now it's possible it's my system set up as it's in need of an upgarde but I don't encounter this on other games so there is that.

Either way I won't play a game where i'm afraid to cross a zone line because i'll just crash out of the game.

Thats too bad.   I haven't experienced any crashes yet, and the game has run pretty flawlessly. I was running it on high settings.  However the other night I had a lot of stuttering and ended up having to turn graphics down, to get the game to run smoothly.   And truthfully I hardly noticed the graphics change once I did.   I am guessing it must have been a lag thing, since there seemed to be a bit more players on than normal.  

Anyway sounds like it must be your rig.

Originally posted by scarykids2
    Originally posted by Boneserino

now when you say skills...do you mean like runescape skills? cuz i loved the hell out of those

Yes pretty much like that.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Peer_Gynt
    Originally posted by Nytz

Wait. So They are offering their game no strings attached, and I can't even give them money if I wanted to? Those utter utter bastards. you know nothing of giving us hater bait on these forums Jon Snow. .... Downloading now!

Make sure you get out of the cave. the world looks a lot better than what that cave seems to indicate.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Downloaded and played when I saw this post and I just can't handle the combat or graphics. Guild Wars 2 has me spoiled when it comes to those two things.

The combat needs a lot of work in Gorgon.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Seemed alright. I cut up a pig and got Non-Ruminant Ungulate Anatomy xp. I cut up a cow and got Ruminant Ungulate Anatomy xp. I cut up a rat and got Rodent anatomy. Skinned a few animals, did some favours for some NPCs etc but then I went back to the newb cave area and... I'm not joking I got turned into a cow! Permanately. I guess the warning signs and writing coming up all over the screen wasn't for nothing. It's ok I can eat grass and Moo of Determination to summon my inner bull! Grinding for un-cowification now and going to kill that cow boss later with vengance. Also amused I had to ask a player to milk me as part of a quest because I needed milk. Lol. But yeah, some old school fun and listen to the warning signs about that cow in the newb cave. Lol. Great game for some old schoolers out there. 

You were warned about the cow-boss! The warning is HUGE and completely Un-missable for all bosses that curse!

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC
    Downloaded and played when I saw this post and I just can't handle the combat or graphics. Guild Wars 2 has me spoiled when it comes to those two things.The combat needs a lot of work in Gorgon.

I enjoy Gorgon, even in it's early un-finished (but very playable) state and found Guild Wars 2 agonizingly boring. To each his/her own...

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I play GW2 and Project Gorgon each for different reasons.  I love the World versus World server battles in GW2 and love the skils/crafting in Project Gorgon.  Yes, GW2 combat can easily spoil you.  I don't know if I have found another game that compares to combat in GW2. 
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

Fun game. :D

Stopped playing for now, but it's fun.

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Downloaded and played when I saw this post and I just can't handle the combat or graphics. Guild Wars 2 has me spoiled when it comes to those two things.

The combat needs a lot of work in Gorgon.

You obviously did not read my post Paroxitic.  The game is not about combat.  If you want fancy combat go play Wildstar.  My guess is there are equal numbers playing both games.

As for graphics, it is not a AAA game, its an indie game.  If you are going to diss every indie game because of graphics, why even bother playing them??