Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO and Console Release

RickyB0813RickyB0813 Member UncommonPosts: 15
It appears that the console version of ESO is delayed indefinitely. With the Champion System in the works the console version will not be coming out until after all of this is completed. There is no time frame on the Champion System at this time

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I think thats a good thing, its probably harder to patch to consoles, and they have to write each patch 2x

• RickyB0813RickyB0813 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

I think thats a good thing, its probably harder to patch to consoles, and they have to write each patch 2x

Yep. That is the reason I am a PC player. Console games are always behind.

• DarkFailDarkFail Member Posts: 66
    Well, guess I won't be resubbing as soon as I thought.  Guess I'll just stick with Dragon Age 3 till then.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I dont think there will be a console version after all,  even these new consoles seem to lack what it needs to hold an MMORPG on them..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Seeing that the new gen consoles are closer to PC architecture than ever, I dont think it is down to coding each patch times two. Instead I guess they just want to complete certain things before they release to consoles, to deliver a better value proposal. This could entail champion system, justice system and imperial city. I think we will see a q1 consoles release.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by RickyB0813
    It appears that the console version of ESO is delayed indefinitely. With the Champion System in the works the console version will not be coming out until after all of this is completed. There is no time frame on the Champion System at this time

Not doubting you but have you seen anything official? When the ESO developer lay-offs were reported in September the articles still assumed the console launch was go ahead. And the latest road ahead didn't include anything.

This certainly seems right - a Q1 launch already looks unlikely (it takes time to get physical boxes into stores ). And as mentioned the CS system isn't in update 5 so the earliest it will be introduced is next year.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    There is no way they will pass up that user base and the millions of sales that comes with it. They are reworking some pretty major systems right now so it would make zero sense to do a console release until that work is complete. I think April or May of next year seems to be a good guess for the console release.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

There is always only one reason why business will do something or not given that it's actually possible to do.

Money.

They aren't seeing enough potential profit in it, or they'd do it.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I dont think there will be a console version after all,  even these new consoles seem to lack what it needs to hold an MMORPG on them..

Works perfect on console, just check ffxiv

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

There is always only one reason why business will do something or not given that it's actually possible to do.

Money.

The XOne and PS4 would bring at least another 2 million sales and that is probably on the low end of what would be sold. There is pleny of profit to be had.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

Money.

The XOne and PS4 would bring at least another 2 million sales and that is probably on the low end of what would be sold. There is pleny of profit to be had.

What is "plenty of profit" for them? Maybe 2 mil is not enough to justify the cost to them. If there was 20 million potential sales on the line, you can bet there would be no delay.

Money.

What is "plenty of profit" for them? Maybe 2 mil is not enough to justify the cost to them. If there was 20 million potential sales on the line, you can bet there would be no delay.

Considering that they probably didnt reach 2 million sales on PC.. I would consider 2 million plenty. Then think that Skyrim sold 13m+ copies on 360 + PS3 and that there are 15m+ XOnes and PS4s in use. That is their potential market. I only said 2 million because it seemed like a sensible number.. It would probably be more honestly. Then factor in subs ( if they decide to keep it that way )... Yes. PLENTY of profit to be had.

The console release is coming at some point. That is a definite IMO.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    That's pretty much the theme of this whole game. Broken promises.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by ZigZags

what are you upset your other thread got locked? lol. All I see are improvements in the game and they continue to take in feedback and improve it based on that feedback so you must be living in a different reality.

There Is Always Hope!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990

If a console version comes out the graphics will have to be worse and gameplay will have to take account of the limitations in a consoles memory and so on.

So play it on a sub standard platform if you will, or play it on the PC.

Originally posted by Scot

If a console version comes out the graphics will have to be worse and gameplay will have to take account of the limitations in a consoles memory and so on.

So play it on a sub standard platform if you will, or play it on the PC.

XOne and PS4 have enough RAM to run the game no problem. Both have 8GB with ~5GB available for games and ESO doesnt use 5GB even on the highest settings. Of course they would have to tune the game with view distance , flora density / distance ..etc due to the cpu and graphic power. I will assume that is what you meant and not really the RAM.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517

Money.

According to what numbers?

If you're going to quote PC sales, just remember that after the large majority of people bought ESO at release expecting a good game, and were let down, you can be sure the hype, want, and need to play the game on any system has died down, a TON. Otherwise this wouldn't of been delayed, like what was said in an earlier post, and a relatively new game like this wouldn't be selling for $9.

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by keithian

what are you upset your other thread got locked? lol. All I see are improvements in the game and they continue to take in feedback and improve it based on that feedback so you must be living in a different reality.

Improvements are good but will not draw int he numbers Zenimax needs to sustain their current content production cycle. These days an MMO needs to capture a wide audience at release to have a chance at successful longevity (5+ years). They have failed to do that and it is only a matter of time before f2p, then ultimately closure. 

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    Originally posted by keithian

Improvements are good but will not draw int he numbers Zenimax needs to sustain their current content production cycle. These days an MMO needs to capture a wide audience at release to have a chance at successful longevity (5+ years). They have failed to do that and it is only a matter of time before f2p, then ultimately closure. 

So if F2P comes in three years time and closure comes in fiveish years time you will be right. That's hardly a prediction, it is far too woolly. It is more like a statement about what can happen to MMOs these days.

For example had you said ESO will close before five years are up, that would be a prediction. And you would be wrong, which is why I think you stuck to the woolly generalised statement.

ESO is not going anywhere, no matter how much you dislike it.

Originally posted by OhhPaigey

Money.

According to what numbers?

If you're going to quote PC sales, just remember that after the large majority of people bought ESO at release expecting a good game, and were let down, you can be sure the hype, want, and need to play the game on any system has died down, a TON. Otherwise this wouldn't of been delayed, like what was said in an earlier post, and a relatively new game like this wouldn't be selling for $9.

I didnt quote PC sales. I guessed that they probably havent sold 2m copies of ESO on PC. However TES is far more popular on consoles than on PC so the market there is much larger. If Zenimax were only after money then ESO would have already been released for consoles and they are pretty much listening to their players as to what needs to be done. When these new systems are in ( Justice , Champion , Thieves Guild , Dark Brotherhood..etc. ) then we can expect to hear more about the console release. It is coming for sure. As I said before .. They will not pass up the biggest market the franchise has and as far as the " hype " it will also start back up when its time. 

And ESO isnt $9 everywhere so quoting that as its normal price is ignorant. Not to mention that the stores control the sales and not the actual company.