Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen hits 58 million $ in crowdfunding

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_funded_crowdfunding_projects

Since its normal for most, could you show me one other, any other that sell exclusive earlier access to important in-game items, by prices that goes from 1 to 33 times above the price of the full game or earlier access to it. 

--> Path of Exile "Diamond Supporter items" (5000 bucks anyone ?)  --> http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/10/path-of-exile-crowdfunding/

And try to find others that persist to call in "crowd-funding" after the crowd-funding period ended and the game announced as fully funded and  with "all the complete vision of the owner for that game guaranteed to be implemented", per the CEO's speech of the company.

--> Elite:Dangerous   ;-)  (see Link on top of the post)

Tell me one more which crowd-funding campaign endured for more than 1 or 2 months, what saying about years.

--> Divinity - Original Sin     

Have fun

Originally posted by WillowFuxxy

I find parts of this conversation funny. Mostly the point that some how not having a schedule means it doesnt cost more

developer: 'for x million dollars we will create a dogfighting module which will be released on X date'

how does the developer plan to pay the staff if the dogfighting module takes longer than he expects?

--> https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge        ;-)

CIG never claimed that a longer schedule does not cost more.  And people agree to possible changes in schedule  in the Terms of Service : "However, you acknowledge and agree that delivery as of such date is not a promise by RSI since unforeseen events may extend the development and/or production time."

Have fun

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

It gets very tiring trying to converse with people who either ignore points or respond with marketing quotes or use wishful thinking as reality.

I would however want to note one thing on the funding topic:

I find it incredibly ironic that SC is the biggest crowdfunded success in history yet CR has chosen to monetize every single asset of his game. Every asset they've created is behind a real currency paywall.

No publishers yet a payment scheme worse than anything EA could ever cook up.

It actually makes me sad.

..Cake..

Rule #1 of Kickstarter:

"Don’t break the law.

Go ahead !  Sue RSI !

If you win before court, I will acknowledge that you were right.

...whenever you are ready ....

Have fun

• WillowFuxxyWillowFuxxy Member Posts: 406
    Originally posted by sgel

It gets very tiring trying to converse with people who either ignore points or respond with marketing quotes or use wishful thinking as reality.

I would however want to note one thing on the funding topic:

I find it incredibly ironic that SC is the biggest crowdfunded success in history yet CR has chosen to monetize every single asset of his game. Every asset they've created is behind a real currency paywall.

There are two difference however.

1. SC is up front about it. They dont call the game 'free to play' and then later hit with cash shop items that make it nearly impossible to pay without. The later is also not terrible as long as the developer is upfront about it by saying something like 'the game is not designed to be played for free but if you want to try it out you can get a feel for the game for free'

2. The games list of suggested features are actually interesting unlike many EA games. Having said that suggesting features and actually delievering on them is yet to be seen.

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Erillion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_funded_crowdfunding_projects

Since its normal for most, could you show me one other, any other that sell exclusive earlier access to important in-game items, by prices that goes from 1 to 33 times above the price of the full game or earlier access to it. 

--> Path of Exile "Diamond Supporter items" (5000 bucks anyone ?)  --> http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/10/path-of-exile-crowdfunding/

And try to find others that persist to call in "crowd-funding" after the crowd-funding period ended and the game announced as fully funded and  with "all the complete vision of the owner for that game guaranteed to be implemented", per the CEO's speech of the company.

--> Elite:Dangerous   ;-)  (see Link on top of the post)

Tell me one more which crowd-funding campaign endured for more than 1 or 2 months, what saying about years.

--> Divinity - Original Sin     

Have fun

What is 'ongoing' my friend, in case of Elite: Dangerous, is the development, not the "funding" ended on Jan 2013. After that, they started to sell access to alpha/beta, pre-order to the release. It's the traditional mode here. Nothing here that you could classify yet as, doing "crowdfunding".

Its great, by the way, that some of these games gave exclusive perks for earlier backers that maybe not everyone can get later, which is far to be the case of SC, that only gives to the earlier backers, as the big advantage, exclusive opportunity to spend more money in expensive stuff (to acquire and to get earlier access) that are basically the core of the game - ships.

I also wonder if in the PoE case mentioned, that perk has the same value of a SHIP, as is the case of Star Citizen? I have the impression that you are comparing bananas with apples here. Perks are not the same of selling an important in-game asset, and exclusive earlier access to that in-game asset - only if you spend more money (1 to 33 more times, more money).

I find parts of this conversation funny. Mostly the point that some how not having a schedule means it doesnt cost more

developer: 'for x million dollars we will create a dogfighting module which will be released on X date'

how does the developer plan to pay the staff if the dogfighting module takes longer than he expects?

--> https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge        ;-)

CIG never claimed that a longer schedule does not cost more.  And people agree to possible changes in schedule  in the Terms of Service : "However, you acknowledge and agree that delivery as of such date is not a promise by RSI since unforeseen events may extend the development and/or production time."

Have fun

Heh! Willing to expand the game to lead to a larger public or expand the marketing of the game, for profit, since the budget was earlier announced by the CEO of the compnay, IS NOT an "unforeseen event"... Its a PLANNED event, a business choice.

Again, considering their own TOS, it made it an act of bad faith on business, bad faith with those that already gave them money and did not signed for "expansion" coming earlier than the core promised, or holding the core to be released due such things.

1. SC is up front about it.

Chris Roberts:

"What I don’t like is sort of the zinger-style gameplay that hampers your experience to force you to basically encourage you to pay money. So I think that sucks. So I don’t want that."

LoL

3 times above the budget that he announced, he continues to suck and doing what he does not want to do. Maybe he is a slave of someone else that is actually in charge of CIG?

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

LOL so many suckers in this thread. 58 million and what has anyone seen?

How long has this nonsense been going on?

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489

Rule #1 of Kickstarter:

"Don’t break the law.

Go ahead !  Sue RSI !

If you win before court, I will acknowledge that you were right.

...whenever you are ready ....

Have fun

What´s even more funny than his incomprehensible walls of text, Star Citizen has still 50 days before the complainers can start about "Star Citizen missed its Kickstarter estimated delivery date". It´s not even missed any delivery date yet, as the old delivery date for Alpha said "November 2014".

I already have an Alpha, it´s called Arena Commander. So, obviously some people here are ahead of the calender too, for the sake of complaining.

Even more funny, they keep plugging some other cheap titles with random generated instances and nothing else to show, which is so generic it´s actually not worth mentioning, but that one had a delivery date almost a year ago.

Ah well, double standards are standard provocateur repertoire, don´t bother. We both and more than 600.000 other SC backers just look at these numbers .. with a smile :)

Funds raised: $ 58,756,389

Star Citizens: 628,066

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by jcrg99

Chris Roberts:

"What I don’t like is sort of the zinger-style gameplay that hampers your experience to force you to basically encourage you to pay money. So I think that sucks. So I don’t want that."

LoL

Jezus.....

..Cake..

Chris Roberts:

LoL

Jezus.....

point well taken.

Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame
     It´s not even missed any delivery date yet, as the old delivery date for Alpha said "November 2014".

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

"

Funded! This project was successfully funded on November 19, 2012.

The people who pledge for their spaceships will get to test-fly them long before the general public. 12 months in, we will allow the early backers to play the multiplayer space combat Alpha, and then 20-22 months in they will get to play the Star Citizen Beta, adventuring around the huge open galaxy, well before the general public.

"

Originally posted by rodarin

LOL so many suckers in this thread. 58 million and what has anyone seen?

How long has this nonsense been going on?

your contribution to this thread is new and refreshing

will never be released

http://youtu.be/o-xvCg8CI9U

making nothing else but ships

http://youtu.be/s6evCub1cVA

nothing to show

http://youtu.be/hazwN_PerRs

vaporware

http://youtu.be/THmfLOdT3qE

scam

http://youtu.be/DgNK_wpuPn4

not a multiplayer game

http://youtu.be/qL1RXbZLHAI

no real physics

http://youtu.be/cjkadFolE6o

To me what I like about SC is that it has a feature list and graphic fidelity that is actually very interesting and clearly features that many people seem to agree with me on. HOWEVER, I wonder if they can actually deliver on it. Maybe that is why the AAA companies never come out with something like this because they know the cost would be to high. I dont know but that is why I do find the story of this devlopment interesting to me.

To me what I like about SC is that it has a feature list and graphic fidelity that is actually very interesting. 

They should move on more quickly even to what they put all their focus on, ignoring if its going to be possible or not to make "a game" on it.

Their true competition for the only thing that they actually do and probably will deliver "working properly" in a timely manner are moving on too, and been more effective too:

http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark11

Funded! This project was successfully funded on November 19, 2012.

yes.. 23 months ago they had 6 million $, started building up a company from scratch, hiring 280 people and building a triple A blockbuster PC game that breaks all standards.

What an outrageous shame it´s still not finished! We all know those 100 million triple A blockbuster MMOs like EQ Next, Guildwars 2 and the like are usually done in 12 months or less, it´s just Chris Roberts who takes so long because he doesn´t listen to your tips and advice.

No really, you´re a pro,  an expert on game development and project management in general. Such a shame CIG doesn´t hire experts like you to consult them.

Originally posted by MoreOfTheSame
    No really, you´re a pro,  an expert on game development and project management in general. Such a shame CIG doesn´t hire experts like you to consult them.

An expert promised:

"

Can you explain the stretch goals?

The purpose of the higher stretch goals is to ensure that the game-as-described is finished in the two year time period."

and it continues... for example, with this statement:

"but without additional funding we are going to have to do it one piece at a time"...

obviously meaning that in this case, in the context of what is said in the whole paragraph, it would delay more to have the core of the game completed + features added as stretch goals.

Should I mention who was this expert, that just not said that, but put that as a promise in the main advertising of the game?

Chris Roberts:

LoL

Jezus.....

point well taken.

3 times above the budget that HE announced, he continues to suck and doing what he did not want to do. Maybe he is just this good fellow that is actually a slave of someone else that is actually in charge of CIG, requiring him to suck, and he has some shame to tell their backers or even some internal contract obligating him to suck and not revealing this other "truly evil guy" behind him?

:D

I dont think anyone is evil in this case. I think many of you are giving them too much credit for being intelligent and doing thus doing this on purpose. 

I think its just simply not knowing how much time and money it takes to create these features. nothing more and nothing less.

Chris Roberts:

LoL

Jezus.....

point well taken.

3 times above the budget that HE announced, he continues to suck and doing what he did not want to do. Maybe he is just this good fellow that is actually a slave of someone else that is actually in charge of CIG, requiring him to suck, and he has some shame to tell their backers or even some internal contract obligating him to suck and not revealing this other "truly evil guy" behind him?

:D

I dont think anyone is evil in this case. I think many of you are giving them too much credit for being intelligent and doing thus doing this on purpose. 

I think its just simply not knowing how much time and money it takes to create these features. nothing more and nothing less.

Intelligent? Not really so intelligent for someone that is willing to make it a massive success, a long term project, a healthy and reliable business company, that will avoid (not promote) to suck with the target public, mainly when the target is a tiny niche.

I also could classify many con men that jump from city to city getting money from people, deceiving people, as intelligent too, if intelligence was just "how to make quick money regardless the consequences in the future".

Unless his only objective and thinking is a better retirement, knowing that the game and the company has no future anymore, that's nothing near of intelligent, what he has been doing.

I actually with you on it. I think that they are seriously dumb and amateur in terms of how to build a starter company and keeping it in the long term.  About records, you should take a look in the history of CR. He could maybe fits in some records of how to make a company dead very very soon. He is also is very good in associating himself so much as the "owner of the Space Sim genre" that all the bad rep that this genre got from the publishers/investors, were very much influenced by the own atittude of such "owner", that he never care to change or to improve his ways.

Intelligent? Not really so intelligent for someone that is willing to make it a massive success, a long term project, a healthy and reliable business company, that will avoid (not promote) to suck with the target public, mainly when the target is a tiny niche.

I also could classify many con men that jump from city to city getting money from people, deceiving people, as intelligent too, if intelligence was just "how to make quick money regardless the consequences in the future".

Unless his only objective and thinking is a better retirement, knowing that the game and the company has no future anymore, that's nothing near of intelligent, what he has been doing.

Thinking that he is doing all this on purpose is giving him more intelligence than I am.

Not knowing what you are doing < doing it on purpose.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Main issue is this:

What happens if you continue to give more and more money to anything?

They will continue to grow the "plans to spend that money" and that continues to grow the  time frame till you get anything.

That sound familiar to anyone? Kind of like a government? They can ALWAYS use more money, you just end up getting less and less of anything and it takes many times as long to get anything done.

Why you need something like a publishing company that will lay down firm dates and goals. You let  a bunch of nerds loose with a no limit credit card/bank book..and what do you expect to happen?

They will ALWAYS come up with something that is so cool that it just has to go into the game too.  Someone needs to hire a real money manager that has the power to say no.. get to work on the game. 

Thinking that he is doing all this on purpose is giving him more intelligence than I am.

Not knowing what you are doing < doing it on purpose.

About 20 years in production/executive roles, CEO (of 3 earlier starter companies, curiously, all them quickly dead, but in all cases, he, particularly, making a lot of money... coincidence?)...

don't you think that he would not "know the consequences" of what he is doing?

Hard to believe.

He knows, and if he did not know yet, he received enough feedback already to remind him (and will put some focus in try to silence those who dare to continue to remind him, just like the behavior of Ponzi scheme owners usually do).

He do what he does, in purpose. 

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

How about more game and less money?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

How about more game and less money?

That should be the motto of the group that support this game.

Apparently they are more "smart" than everyone and, in their minds, the laws of the capitalism only exist to benefit companies and are impossible to be used by the customers for their best.

They will jump to you and say "Why they should stop to ask money, to sell ships, promoting that by hampering the in-game experience, THEY ARE A BUSINESS, not CHARITY"...

Exactly!

I wonder how long will take to they figure out exactly what they said above and, in consequence, start to react as a smart customer would, or even an investor, instead acting themselves as sheep or even slave, just accepting generic marketing excuses that barely fits with the reality, that can be noticed along the road of this development.

Its ironic. They call themselves smart but act as truly dumb lemmings.

This discussion has been closed.