Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Assasin's Creed Unity Bottlenecked By Console CPU (not GPU)

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The article:

http://hothardware.com/News/Ubisoft-Claims-CPU-Specs-Not-GPU-Performance-A-Limiting-Factor-in-Assassins-Creed-Unity-/

Brings up some good points about consoles.  The CPUs were chosen by Microsoft and Sony without the higher end speeds in order to reach profitability quickly (which happened).  Now though, games are running at lower resolutions and at 30FPS because of the limitations of the CPU side of AMD's parts.  Mind you, these are parts that have variations on the PC that makes higher resolutions and 60FPS perfectly doable.

Will this generation of consoles be much shorter than the last, or will there be an "upgrade" package possible?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Hopefully this console generation will be shorter than the last, by half I hope.

I own a gaming PC, PS4 and XB1. I play certain games on consoles and others on PC. If I want cutting edge graphics & AI PC is the way to go. Console games like Forza, D3, shadow of mordor, ect. I prefer to play on the couch with a controller.

I dont expect a console to come close to my PC, and thats not what I bought them for. Comfort is king with me now. Sitting hunched over a keyboard for hours on end has much less appeal than a recliner / couch with a controller.  I find the older I get the less cutting edge graphics matter, and the more comfort matters.

Anyone looking for top end on a console will be disappointed and should have invested in a PC.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by jdnewell

Hopefully this console generation will be shorter than the last, by half I hope.

I own a gaming PC, PS4 and XB1. I play certain games on consoles and others on PC. If I want cutting edge graphics & AI PC is the way to go. Console games like Forza, D3, shadow of mordor, ect. I prefer to play on the couch with a controller.

I dont expect a console to come close to my PC, and thats not what I bought them for. Comfort is king with me now. Sitting hunched over a keyboard for hours on end has much less appeal than a recliner / couch with a controller.  I find the older I get the less cutting edge graphics matter, and the more comfort matters.

Anyone looking for top end on a console will be disappointed and should have invested in a PC.

I hope Valve bridges that gap between PC performance and being comfortable in the living room.  I know my wife will hate it, but I would appreciate a more comfy setup.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Sounds to me like the AC Unity team bit of more than they could chew on the programming side of things and now want to blame the console's hardware as a excuse. Id stay far away from this game until reviews are out, Early excuse making should be a red flag for any non fanboys of this franchise.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by thunderC
    Sounds to me like the AC Unity team bit of more than they could chew on the programming side of things and now want to blame the console's hardware as a excuse. Id stay far away from this game until reviews are out, Early excuse making should be a red flag for any non fanboys of this franchise.

If smaller than 1080p resolutions and 30fps weren't becoming more common than not, I might agree with this, but it's looking like either the consoles or the tools used to write games for them are falling short of expectations.  Consoles are going to be limited by their nature, but I think there was an expectation that "Next-Gen" meant something other than what people are seeing.

It's also true that as consoles age, the tools and performance actually gets better as developers find ways to tweak things.  Maybe we will get to that point as the developers figure out how to dig into each of the consoles' head room.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Honestly don't see how anyone looking at the new generation didn't see it would have issues quite quickly. The new systems were created to actually make profit rather then being made at a cost. This meant that the hardware wasn't going to be top of the line like the previous generation, causing them to already start from behind.

It only helps to strengthen PC as being a superior choice for gaming. It always has been but with consoles going about focusing on profits on its sales, its just making it that much easier for them to be outpaced. The consume only has so much wiggle room for accepting a weaker experience graphically before it really starts to drag them down. I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years we see PCs back in the spotlight, this time perhaps made into the console setting through use of streaming devices. Unless Sony and Microsoft throw in cash and accept losses for creating their consoles, they are going to always remain way behind the curve against technology.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    I don't think an upgrade to the CPU is even possible. It'd totally screw with the rest of the system and other optimisation. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i wouldnt mind if the current gen consoles life span is cut in half due to poor hardware if the next gen coming afterwards goes back to its console roots. I love consoles for what they are, i have a gaming PC for high end gaming. It seems that Nintendo is the only one that still knows how to make consoles, not PC wannabe machines. Sure i would like my console to be 1080p 60fps on every game, that isnt PC exclusive, but focus on the gaming experience instead of trying to compete with a PC that gets new upgrades every year.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by lizardbones
    Originally posted by jdnewell

I hope Valve bridges that gap between PC performance and being comfortable in the living room.  I know my wife will hate it, but I would appreciate a more comfy setup.

cant a laptop do that?

Laptop can,   I just plug my PC into my TV and either get a wireless k/b mouse or run a controller.   Im not sure what valve needs to do other than give you a shiny console UI.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by lizardbones

It's called "hooking up your PC to your TV". You're waiting for Valve to bring something that already exists and all they're going to do is make a new case with the word steamachine on it. 

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

The way I see it is very similar to the old "Apple vs. PC argument"

When you buy a PC you are buying a very open and customizable platform. When you purchased (at least in the past) an Apple machine you purchased a very singlular and proprietary machine. Only one company makes Apple machines and that's Apple.

The same holds true with consoles you are buying a very proprietary machine developed by a huge corporation that isn't even remotely focused on gaming as a primary form of business. You can't buy a Dell Xbox, or HP PS4, or even go to newegg and buy the comps to build it yourself.

Consoles will always be limited or limited to whatever proprietary hardware options are made available by their manufacturers...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...