Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Localized Economy and Enchanting

eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

There has been a new annoucement for DFUW:

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?398838-Localised-Economy&p=6384192#post6384192

The patch will add lots of pve grind and make manual travelling an constant time wasting annoyance. On the plus side we'll finally know who stole all the stuff from the clan warehouse.

LFG!

Comments

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Thanks for the unbiased reporting of the facts.
  • eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by Holophonist

The official announcement is linked, can't get more unbiased then that. So I accept your thank you.

Still, my sarcasm detector is ringing loud, maybe you are unhappy about my conclusions? Feel free to explain why you don't think that there gonna be a major pve grind increase with the announced changes - or why you think that there won't be a major increase in travelling times when they remove summoning/(maybe) direct ports while at the same time forcing the player to travel for localized resources. A slight speed increase on the roads won't make up for the time lost from  the travelling nerfs.

LFG!
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by eHug

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?398838-Localised-Economy&p=6384192#post6384192

The patch will add lots of pve grind and make manual travelling an constant time wasting annoyance. On the plus side we'll finally know who stole all the stuff from the clan warehouse.

If this does actually get implemented properly, then the game can actually be called an MMORPG.  However, I really wonder if this patch will hit the game, since it is against their design doctrine of " getting players into the action faster ".    

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

if the patch was this + alignment i would be a very very happy skull.

still i am a mildly happy one.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Originally posted by thinktank001

If this does actually get implemented properly, then the game can actually be called an MMORPG.  However, I really wonder if this patch will hit the game, since it is against their design doctrine of " getting players into the action faster ".    

Would you mind explain why you think so? They increased the grind a lot during the last half year. They nerfed all non active actities to crap. They introduced timer/zergfall on villages. They nerfed PVP rewards. They made decent gear more important. They plan to remove summons/ports/chaos banks. So what exactly did they do or plan to make players get into action faster? All I saw AV adding was tedious often boring tasks, where is the "getting players into action" part?

At least I am not happy to hear that they plan to waste a large part of my gaming time with forcing me to invest multiple hours a week just to move my stuff to other places as a preparation for sieges etc in addition to the hours of rather boring pve grind. And me slowing running to places through an empty world instead of being summoned by a friend or clan mate also doesn't feel much like a win. Because I know I have to log off soon after I arrived.

I'd say we like different things. I like an instance free open world full of risk with a clear focus on pvp. You want to spend hours to sort/transport your stuff, then go on a long journey to PVE grind. Different people, different tastes.

LFG!
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

I'd say we like different things. I like an instance free open world full of risk with a clear focus on pvp. You want to spend hours to sort/transport your stuff, then go on a long journey to PVE grind. Different people, different tastes.

a game can have both of these... in fact IMHO the two compliment one another.

if you haven't got any significant time invested in the outcome of your pvp, then that takes away a reason to do the pvp. i understand that "to win" is reason enough for many people but to be honest there are other genre of games that do "pvp just for the sake of winning/losing" better than mmorpgs do it

conversely, the end goal of winning a pvp event for the gain of your clan (guild) gives motivation to your grinding.  it becomes helping your friends and yourself as opposed to justbutton mashing to see a meter go up on a screen.

to me this play between gathering resources and using the resources to further my goals is a huge part of the all powerful "immersion"

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

The official announcement is linked, can't get more unbiased then that. So I accept your thank you.

Still, my sarcasm detector is ringing loud, maybe you are unhappy about my conclusions? Feel free to explain why you don't think that there gonna be a major pve grind increase with the announced changes - or why you think that there won't be a major increase in travelling times when they remove summoning/(maybe) direct ports while at the same time forcing the player to travel for localized resources. A slight speed increase on the roads won't make up for the time lost from  the travelling nerfs.

Because they're going to increase travel speed on roads?

Because enchanting may mean killing mobs faster?

Because there's a lot more in that link than just the few things you mentioned?

Because you're adding modifiers like "lots" of pve grind, when you really don't have a fucking clue?

I guess instead of a "pve grind" you'd rather play a game like TERA which has one of the worst, most dull questing grinds in a game ever.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Because you're adding modifiers like "lots" of pve grind, when you really don't have a fucking clue?

I guess instead of a "pve grind" you'd rather play a game like TERA which has one of the worst, most dull questing grinds in a game ever.

Smoked.
  • DrauhkarDrauhkar Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by Lustmord

Smoked.

Truly
    Originally posted by itchmon

a game can have both of these... in fact IMHO the two compliment one another.

if you haven't got any significant time invested in the outcome of your pvp, then that takes away a reason to do the pvp. i understand that "to win" is reason enough for many people but to be honest there are other genre of games that do "pvp just for the sake of winning/losing" better than mmorpgs do it

conversely, the end goal of winning a pvp event for the gain of your clan (guild) gives motivation to your grinding.  it becomes helping your friends and yourself as opposed to justbutton mashing to see a meter go up on a screen.

My idea of a full loot game with a focus on pvp is to have basic pvp gear being easy to get, like in UO for example, while everything else in the game can be a grind. In case you wonder what everything else is: Housing, Siege stuff, Town related items and everything fluff.

And yes, I enjoy PVP for the sake of PVP. I don't need to win, as long as the encounter is entertaining. Some of my most fun memories of DFUW were epic failures. I also enjoy go grinding with friends to support the clan, but it's more fun on a half way populated world with random pvp encounters, which are really rare on EU.

Moving my warehouse by foot from one corner in the world to another though is my personal nightmare. It sounds like the ultimate boredom to move my stuff in X loads through an rather empty world. It will take hours. I can't imagine where the fun is with stuff like that on a low population server.

I sometimes wish the world would be reduced to 20% of it's current size, the world would feel a lot more alive. Maybe it would make these things enjoyable, but at the current state I have my doubts.

As for "more things then what i mentioned" you must be blind if you missed link to the official notes that I linked. I am not working for AV, I am not being paid to promote the game, I posted about my perception of the patch. If you think that's not ok on a forum where you dicuss games, you might have a problem.

As for your comment about Tera: Maximum level with all skills take 3-4 days with hardly any quests or none at all, because grinding mobs is so much faster then doing quest camps. I think I was completely geared with all the good stuff at max enchanting level after about 2 months of regular casual playing and some more intense sundays, I had plenty of PVP fun after the first week. After I got the gear I left all instances and spent my time in the open world, finding battles everywhere. Not really my definition of a grind.

I still prefer DFUW for multiple reasons, but some of the things AV did in last half year were a pain in the ass  - and some of things they plan to do seem even worse. No need to agree on that, feel free to post another sulky argument free comment because I don't agree on everything that AV does.

LFG!
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

The fact everything has been too easy to obtain in DFUW was one of the biggest contributors to players leaving. When UW launched you could literally get an entire gear set out of a herb bush. People stocked up so much items that eventually they had no more reasons to leave their cities and deaths meant nothing because of the vast supplies of backup gear.

They are slowly pulling back on that and hopefully will be back to DF1 - or better - in terms of item distribution in the game world once the item regionalisation kicks in... Which would include a lot of new items as well, in addition to all recipes being overhauled. Enchanting comes on top of that, using entirely new materials and entirely new effects.

The problem is, the economy is beyond repair because of the damage done since launch. Aventurine has to pull a bank wipe for any significant economic changes to properly take effect. Ultimately most veteran players can agree with the need for a wipe as it removed existing damage and effectively rewinds the game for a second attempt... However Aventurine seems unwilling to commit to a wipe at this time, which really de-values any efforts made towards fixing the game. Let's hope they reconsider.

Edit: What is item redistribution, one might ask? It's simple; Specific items will only be available in specific parts of the world, to incentivize farming there and trading. Currently in DFUW, there is a very limited number of items mobs can drop and the majority of them all drop the same items, making it impossible to generate points of interest for PvE and PvP, and making it impossible to make each area offer something unique. Item regionalisation aims to resolve this, temporarily ignoring existing damage that can only be resolved through a wipe (or developer-resource intensive item phasing where old items are slowly made obsolete).

Don't be fooled by some comments about 'grind'. DFUW never had grind and that was a big factor in people getting bored quickly. The game needs reasons to go out into the world and do stuff, and this will achieve it.