Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games like this should be the standard

sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788

It amazes me with the over saturated MMO market that more games like Albion cant be the medium for which we base other MMO's on. To me Albion so far has brought up alot of core MMO traits, while cutting enough corners to be graphically and technologically feasible. 

This game has alot of MMO-Lite to it, the areas arent as huge and sprawling as one could hope for, but the amount of content and gameplay packed tightly into these spaces has you wanting to move on ad explore new territory. My biggest hope for the game right now is that we will see bigger areas released later as expansions that can be more open-worldy.

Also might I add that this game is ALPHA status right now. What could and should change before launch is the PvP, in fact, the PvE is so strong IMO, that they could solely focus on the PvP from now until release and the game would easily be able to stay afoot and carry itself into the first few updates. And thats the great thing about this game, I can name tons of things I see wron with it, but I still want to keep playing...

And thats where the medium comes in, thats where this game and sandbox natured games should really be the "Standard" go-to model for MMO's, and have linear themeparks take the backburner as something more coveted. The core elements of a sandbox style game like this allow you to invest yourself in a character and the world without giving up your time to cutscenes and numerous grind-fetch quests.

Dont get me wrong, this game is still a grind, but hey, when im 20 minutes into the game, crafting my own weapons and armor, giving them personalized abilities that are reflected on my characters skill set, and then actually having 6 unique abilities on my hotbar after HALF AN HOUR OF PLAYTIME, the game is doing something right IMO.

Like I said this isnt the game thats going to make you quit your day-job and shut you in for the next several years, this is an MMO you can play for a long time and come back to without it pressuring you to do what it wants. The game isnt forcing you to stay or keep playing, your making the choice, and although it seems like a chore sometimes with the grind-heavy advancement, it gives you incentives to make that path more viable for the long term.

Anways just my thoughts after several hours with the game. If anyone has any questions or comments please feel free to ask and comment!

Comments

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Isometric view.  I can't do it.

The ability to pan my camera and look around is extremely important to me.

• Juice2000Juice2000 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    All the features you mentioned are great except the feature you didnt mention which is full loot pvp and full loot lost  upon pve death. Unfortunately features such as this will make the game a niche instead of the standard.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I get it OP, you are infatuated by the game and it is great you found something you love. But games like Albion being standard? come on now.

How much you want to bet that it is going to end up just like all the previous full loot open world full loot MMOS?

The camera view alone is the reason for me to never want it to be any kind of standard. I enjoyed it in UO but that was then.

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

I get it OP, you are infatuated by the game and it is great you found something you love. But games like Albion being standard? come on now.

How much you want to bet that it is going to end up just like all the previous full loot open world full loot MMOS?

The camera view alone is the reason for me to never want it to be any kind of standard. I enjoyed it in UO but that was then.

See I have to disagree with you. The point in making here is a tech standard. The game can be played across all platforms, mobile, PC, browser, Mac, and it's beefy enough for me to warrant playing it on my PC, just image how it would be for a f2p player on a mobile device. 

Whether you agree or not with full loot, the fact that the game isn't cutting gameplay to be accessible and instead focuses on reaching the largest tech audience is something other MMOs should look at and replicate.

End point: There's nothing in WoW that couldn't be put into a mobile game. 

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    I'm just waiting to be invited to the beta, it looks really fun, and I put a lot of time into RS so I can see myself playing this a lot too lol.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by sludgebeard
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

See I have to disagree with you. The point in making here is a tech standard. The game can be played across all platforms, mobile, PC, browser, Mac, and it's beefy enough for me to warrant playing it on my PC, just image how it would be for a f2p player on a mobile device. 

Whether you agree or not with full loot, the fact that the game isn't cutting gameplay to be accessible and instead focuses on reaching the largest tech audience is something other MMOs should look at and replicate.

End point: There's nothing in WoW that couldn't be put into a mobile game. 

I am sorry but i didn't understand what you meany by this last line.

• ShorunShorun Member UncommonPosts: 247

I still don't want to play a MMORPG on a mobile device. MMORPGs are meant to be played for hours and hours.

I just wanna play Angry Birds for 5 min so I don't have to make eye contact with all the weird people on the subway.

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by Shorun

I still don't want to play a MMORPG on a mobile device. MMORPGs are meant to be played for hours and hours.

I just wanna play Angry Birds for 5 min so I don't have to make eye contact with all the weird people on the subway.

You do realize that people have been replacing their computers with cell phones/tablets for about the past 5 years or so right? 

Im sorry you dont personally want to see this transition, but thats where the market is headed and the fact you can play the game on PC and Mac and even Linux is just awesome.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

You do realize that people have been replacing their computers with cell phones/tablets for about the past 5 years or so right? 

Im sorry you dont personally want to see this transition, but thats where the market is headed and the fact you can play the game on PC and Mac and even Linux is just awesome.

yeye native linux support i will have to check it out :D :D

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

It is not a transition. It is a market share change.

No portable will even a fraction of the power of true gaming pcs. There will always be software driving hardware improvements and vice versa. There will always be a segment of the market for high end gamers. It is only market share that changes.

Smart phones and tablets will also always be limited by their user interface. They fill a need and the need isn't high end gaming in the comfort of your own home. They also will always have a much higher cost to performance ratio which further limits their application.

("always" means the relevant future)

You stay sassy!

• Korn42Korn42 Member UncommonPosts: 53

Our view is that what makes a game great - in particular in the long term - is the quality of the actual game, meaning the game rules, features and mechanics. In that sense - leaving some UI issues aside - there difference between PC and tablet is shrinking. 

Yet, clearly, as of now, the difference between the two systems is quite large. However, when looking into the future, we believe that it will get smaller and smaller, and as a result of that, the difference  between the quality of the actual games will become more comparable. Whereas in 2005, you could already play World of Warcraft an PC, on any mobile device, you would have been happy if it runs Pacman. Now we are much further.

As we are developing Albion Online for the long term, we decided to go with a cross-platform approach to be ready for the future. With good game design, graphics and interface, this works extremely well.

What we like in particular is that a lot of players switch between platforms, such as doing a little bit of PvE, crafting and gathered on their tablet in front of the TV, only to switch to the PC or MAC for serious PvP battles. It really can be the best of both worlds.

• borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493

I hate to say it but I doubt this game will attract many modern MMO gamers.  I don't understand why anyone would develop a modern MMO with an isometric view. It might have a niche following at best. 

@Korn42 "leaving some UI issues aside - there difference between PC and tablet is shrinking. "   My triple 24 inch monitor setup says otherwise.