Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New ship with LTI for sale 890 Jump , only $600 !

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

The video game industry is indeed ingenious.

They have figured out a way to make a cash shop before a game is even made.

BRAVO!

You stay sassy!

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Tamanous

BRAVO!

The really sad part is that there is already, and has been for about a year now, a in "game" cash shop.  You can buy real money only weapons.  

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by TheYear1500

BRAVO!

The really sad part is that there is already, and has been for about a year now, a in "game" cash shop.  You can buy real money only weapons.  

They have been around for several games in development. I was mainly referring to the grotesque levels it is now reaching.

Pretty soon crowd funded games will only for the rich making games for the rich. They are now taking that away from you. Did you see some of the replies from players acting like $600 was not even worth a fart of consideration? What do you think those people pledged prior to that?

This game is being developed for the few investing the most cash. From this point forward we will clearly start seeing how every major game development choice will be dictated by who throws the most money at it. God help those peons paying a base client charge to jump into this game after release. You will be up against players worth hundreds of times the value that developers see you as. The amount of "game play" ... oh let's call it for what it is: grind ... you will have to go through to gain equal footing will be forever valued against what cost it takes to simply purchase it all. Grind will always lose out. Grind will become more grindy each day the devs find ways to suck more money out of those who pay.

This already happens in f2p games. The scale this game is managing to begin this process at is astounding.

You stay sassy!

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe!
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

While I think this sort of pricing is simply separating fools from their cash it would be a bit more excusable at the beginning.

Selling them now when they are certainly not short of money just comes across as greed especially with the artificial scarcity crap.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by TheYear1500

BRAVO!

They have been around for several games in development. I was mainly referring to the grotesque levels it is now reaching.

Pretty soon crowd funded games will only for the rich making games for the rich. They are now taking that away from you. Did you see some of the replies from players acting like $600 was not even worth a fart of consideration? What do you think those people pledged prior to that?

This game is being developed for the few investing the most cash. From this point forward we will clearly start seeing how every major game development choice will be dictated by who throws the most money at it. God help those peons paying a base client charge to jump into this game after release. You will be up against players worth hundreds of times the value that developers see you as. The amount of "game play" ... oh let's call it for what it is: grind ... you will have to go through to gain equal footing will be forever valued against what cost it takes to simply purchase it all. Grind will always lose out. Grind will become more grindy each day the devs find ways to suck more money out of those who pay.

This already happens in f2p games. The scale this game is managing to begin this process at is astounding.

No I mean SC has an in-game cash shop, as well as the pledge store.  You can buy weapons and in game currency, taking P2W to a new level.    

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Being a non-Kickstarter backer of this (only $130 deep, that includes a really nice hoodie) I have to admit this is getting silly, almost embarrassing. Not because of the strange reasoning that this game will never be made but because of the pure greed being shown. it's far past time to quit selling pixels for the amount that most people make in a week and make the fucking game already. I understand that this monstrosity is a stretch goal like the last ship but guess what SC, you can just put it in the game for us to earn in game with in game credits.

I still think that this game will me made someday, but I'm getting tired of seeing more ships with ever increasing "value" being sold for real cash.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't all these ships be earned through normal gameplay? So essentially this is just a donation option for the rich scrubs who want to support the game.

Even if that is the case, this kind of hardcore real money to virtual items conversion shows a thing or two about the mindset of the developers when it comes to getting money.

Expecting an MMO in 2014 to release with no way to buy ingame items with real money is like expecting to win the lottery. It's sad how much of a cash cow this genre has become, everything that can be monetised will be monetised, cause the developers need to somehow compensate for the shitty quality of their games.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Originally posted by crasset15

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't all these ships be earned through normal gameplay? So essentially this is just a donation option for the rich scrubs who want to support the game.

Even if that is the case, this kind of hardcore real money to virtual items conversion shows a thing or two about the mindset of the developers when it comes to getting money.

Expecting an MMO in 2014 to release with no way to buy ingame items with real money is like expecting to win the lottery. It's sad how much of a cash cow this genre has become, everything that can be monetised will be monetised, cause the developers need to somehow compensate for the shitty quality of their games.

You are correct as far as the first 2 paragraphs. SC will not release this year though. If we are lucky the SP game will be here in late '16, the whole thing a year later.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Well, the good news is that this isn't Pay2Win. Just Pay. And PayMore.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

There's a core of obsessed fanboys who buy these ships... a few thousand of them.

You can pick them out in the forums.

The vast majority of backers aren't even playing the game.

Someone calculated and only 3-4% (iirc) have actually played the arena commander module.

Also the people who are saying that people can do whatever they want with their money. Sure they can.

However those people affect how the game will treat it's playerbase. CIG sees the ridiculous cash opportunities and has put EVERYTHING behind a paywall and of course this will continue when the game is finally released (they have already mentioned paying to get credits and ships for post release.)

CIG is targeting the game to the people with money.

..Cake..

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    And for only $1000 more, you can also have a solar system to fly it around in when the game releases in 2019. Just one though, for others you need to buy the $2000 ship with a warp drive.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• The.agGThe.agG Member Posts: 119
    There is this and on the other side, there is Frontier (Elite Dangerous) who have met all deadlines till date except one and were working overtime last week (4 out of the 7 days and even till 2 AM local time) to release the big Beta 2.0 update and the following daily bug fixes. Those guys are actually working hard on their game, making the money i spent on Elite Premium Beta totally worth it.
  • ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

OMG!!!! That ship looks absolutely stunning! 

I WILL BUY TWO PLEASE! ONE FOR ME AND ONE FOR MY GOLDFISH, MR. SNUGGLES

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

A friend of mine was an original kickstarter for this game, and she has degenerative retinitis pigmentosa. 

She has questioned if she will ever even see this game or if her eyesight will be completely gone before its release.

At the rate this game production is progressing I think she is gonna be fine. 

They started developing bionic eyes for people with retinitis shortly after this game went into development and it is now pushed into manufacturing.

Imagine that, conceived, designed, researched, and developed an artificial retinal implant, a wearable visual transmitter, and the software to convert and translate those signals for the human brain. 

Passed clinical trials and received FDA approval.

Optimized the design for function, comfort, and wearability.

Taken the design to mass production. 

All this cheaper and faster than RSI can code a silly video game.

Really kinda puts it into perspective.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

While I am no fan of Chris Roberts at all, the 'take the money and run' crowd hasn't got it right.  Roberts is a huge egomaniac, and he's convinced that he'll make the best game ever!   Of course we can look at his movie directing debut for evidence that this doesn't always work out like planned.  In the past, there were people who could rein him in, but he still managed to waste a million man hours trying to get out Strike Commander, and couldn't deliver anywhere near what he promised in Freelancer.  Etc.

I fully expect Star Citizen to be late, buggy, and not exactly what was promised.  Of course, given the  huge crew of people working for him, I would not be surprised if their monthly outlay is in the range of $2mil a month.   And that's one of the reasons they have to  keep dangling things like $600 ships out there.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

Limited to 890 ships (cheesy) in this first batch.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/186116/890-jump-concept-sale-plans#latest

Ouch!

Well game development is expensive, AAA more so and when you try to stay fully independent your customers simply have to carry all the weight. All those millions of dollars that usually comes from real investors... They have to come form you andthe other backers.

aint it grand

This have been a good conversation

• Varex12Varex12 Member CommonPosts: 357

$600 for a ship, huh?

ROFL.  

Seriously, if someone on this site bought one, please make yourself known.  I want to take a screenshot and put a caption on labelled, "A Fool and His Money."

Chris Roberts is laughing all the way to the bank.  

• serialMMOistserialMMOist Member Posts: 88

This is pure greed. Why not save some ships to sell later and get the fucking game out.

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by serialMMOist

This is pure greed. Why not save some ships to sell later and get the fucking game out.

I agree, they basically got free funding to profiteer off a lot of vapourware.  They must be laughing all the way to the bank.  

• UkihaUkiha Member Posts: 58
    The third post's gif says it all lol.
  • PrecursorPrecursor Member UncommonPosts: 150
    My skepticism for this title has now turned into genuine mistrust.

They better feed the whales soon...
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by Precursor
    My skepticism for this title has now turned into genuine mistrust.

They better feed the whales soon...

The whales are not complaining.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    If they do this now to get money, I have no doubt this will be a whale's game if it ever releases. Why would anyone think this game is going to be anything but a cash grab?
  • TestSubject102TestSubject102 Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by sgel

There's a core of obsessed fanboys who buy these ships... a few thousand of them.

You can pick them out in the forums.

The vast majority of backers aren't even playing the game.

Someone calculated and only 3-4% (iirc) have actually played the arena commander module.

Also the people who are saying that people can do whatever they want with their money. Sure they can.

However those people affect how the game will treat it's playerbase. CIG sees the ridiculous cash opportunities and has put EVERYTHING behind a paywall and of course this will continue when the game is finally released (they have already mentioned paying to get credits and ships for post release.)

CIG is targeting the game to the people with money.

Whoa you never stop your bullshit do you?

Most of the replies in this thread are sad, have no clue about the project... shouting pay2win.

Am I suprised by this cesspool of a community?

These are enthusiasts pledging money and getting a little gift for doing so. "Pay2Win" WHAT exactly? none of it is exclusive to the store.... this is not even like the s*itty MMORPGs you play on here and whine about all day because in reality none of you like the f*cking genre just nostalgia ridden whiners.

AC stats... are correct, because alot of the backers (I think it was 60%+) want to explore/mine/other things ... not just dogfight... and myself included... I'm not on those leaderboards that track the % of users (thats right... if you don't play the ranked matches you are not tracked.... so its actually false).

Maybe... 90% of the people in this thread circle jerking (despite the game coming along nicely.... we get weekly updates on whats going on...) about things they know nothing about... screaming pay2win and "this will never release" how about educating yourselves first instead of wanking to the concept of yet another failure .... honestly I'm convinced you lot get off on it here....