Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can WildStar be saved?

2»

Comments

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Krimzin

It completely amazes me how many haters there are.

As Carbine said in the past.. 200k subs and they are profitable.
    On Stormtalon the population is great. MMore than enough players to recruit from. Solid Auction House.

Will it ever be WoW, god I hope not. I dont think I could ever go back to the Boring Combat.
    Could care less if there are 200k subs or 2million. As long as Carbine keeps moving forward the game will be fine. [emphasis added]

Can you provide a source for this claim?  I may have missed that interesting insight from Carbine or NCSoft but I believe you are simply quoting speculation by other forum posters.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I doubt this one can be saved, if saved means it becomes a popular mmo.

On a side note, I think devs are finally going to make the leap and stop putting out wow clones with slight twists. The popularity of minecraft is the newest thing, which I think will help to steer mmos in the right direction. Wildstar is a frosted, sugary theme park in a time where people are wanting more depth from thier games in general. The mmo community tastes are changing and we tire of the quest hub theme park with tacked on crafting and pvp. I think the market is ready for something more hearty and less superficial,... I think.

Who will bring it? I have no idea, but whoever does will have the most wow-like mmo in terms of success since, well, wow.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Kickaxe

On Stormtalon the population is great. MMore than enough players to recruit from. Solid Auction House.

Will it ever be WoW, god I hope not. I dont think I could ever go back to the Boring Combat.
    Could care less if there are 200k subs or 2million. As long as Carbine keeps moving forward the game will be fine. [emphasis added]

Can you provide a source for this claim?  I may have missed that interesting insight from Carbine or NCSoft but I believe you are simply quoting speculation by other forum posters.

That claim came from the producer of Final Fantasy IV: ARR, if I recall correctly, in regards to... well, FFIV:ARR. (I could be wrong)

I can only assume the poster either accidentally mixed up what game was claiming that, or felt that what's profitable for FFIV:ARR is also profitable for Wildstar (which is a logical fallacy, but to be fair, FFIV:ARR probably has higher costs, not lower.  But... we can't be sure about that)

Again, I could be wrong.

Honestly something about Wildstar needs to be overhauled from the ground up that it might not be Wildstar anymore by the time it gets saved, if it does. 

• ginsuchopginsuchop Member Posts: 6

Could care less if there are 200k subs or 2million. As long as Carbine keeps moving forward the game will be fine.

Source/link?

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Source or link indeed. Does it have 200k subs however?

When NCSoft released their quarterly results what sales of 28M won meant for WS was discussed in an earlier thread. Publishers make more from digital sales, less from retail so there was a range of numbers.

From a low of c. 450k for 100% digital sales to over 2M for 100% retail. And if NCSoft got an average of 60% (implying higher digital sales) then maybe 650k.

As discussed many times any game - but especially sub based games - loose players. Not rocket science; we play the game and move on. So 40% retention after 1 month, 25% after 3 months is not unusual. Higher if the game is "good", lower if the game has "issues". And around the 6 month mark .... 

Which suggests that WS might have had 200-250k after 30 days but beyond that ... unlikely. And the fact that Carbine is "merging servers" supports this.

Bottomline: however many subs WS has today Carbine has to restructure itself to survive on a lower number of subs tomorrow.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

I dont really think WS can be saved. Tomorrow the big 6.0 patch in WOW will start and more and more raid/theme-park fans will go back to it. WS will bleed the most, cause it has quite the same demographic as wow does.

The server merges will help the few people left. So it wont be so lonely on the servers. But the core game stays the same. And this is the sad part of it.

Actually im glad to see, that carbine has bombed with their style of game. When you remember the glorious interviews with Gaffney here on MMORPG or on any other gaming site, you could really get angry at those folks. Mocking casuals, promising "awesome" stuff (warplots, lol, there hasnt been a single warplot since ages on any of the servers), praising their "unique" idea of 40man raids, hyping their low quality game,...

Hodor!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Could care less if there are 200k subs or 2million. As long as Carbine keeps moving forward the game will be fine.

Even if Carbine says that, what does NC think about that? We've already seen what NC thinks about "profitable" games.

• urriel1970urriel1970 Member UncommonPosts: 120

personally ..it should go b2p..not free to play so soon.....ala..gw2..with a cash shop that is not pay to win....they can do sub's with patron bonuses for those that still want to sub...stream line the questing..make it more rewarding...is one good idea..to much can be a huge grind...excellent story and rich lore..make a great game....but the best bet would be b2p and low the cost from 60 dollars to 50 or even 45..bring more folks into the game....and advertise...can't have players if no one know's you exit..!