Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinions on the [mod edit] NPE

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
How do you all feel about he NPE that Anet has set forth?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    If you could explain what NPE is please i would vote.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm thinking, New Player Experience.  I guess I can't vote cause I have'nt created a new character.  I've got about eight older ones though.  How about a middle path like Don't care one way or the other?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    You can't really ruin a largely meaningless playing experience, only make it meaningless in a different way. No harm,no foul that I can see.

You play this game for "fun", it still will be.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I just hit 80 on my Mesmer which I created after they applied the changes and I am determined to unlock all my traits without paying for them.

90% of all Grandmaster traits can be unlocked by farming events in Orr for an afternoon so that isn't really an issue. Many of the lower traits are still locked for me though.

Overall it was the very same as before - just I would receive my skills later than what I was used to and once in a while I would have to go and play a certain event to unlock a trait I really wanted.

The only trait where I felt they messed up big time was the 50% falling damage which unlocks by playing the Obsidian Sanctum Jumping Puzzle. Why they would want a new player to solve one of the hardest JPs in the game is beyond me.

The changes aren't good nor bad but the OP left out a choice for that - don't think anyone who knows his posting history is surprised by this.

Harbinger of Fools
  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Waste of resources. Nothign really meaninful changed.

Open world does not require traits anyway, 1hit spam thats it

WvW follow the zerg

Dungeon gonna stil destroy an inexperienced player.

As for vets no scratch - 30 guardian > leveled to 80 with tomes of exp and traits bought with 1h of dungeon gold, Engie being lvled in wvw. 

Waste of time and effort where other areas could use that manpower(Dungeons).

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Changes are awesome but they are not for veterans. I took the liberty to raise a new toon and I must say that I liked it for the most part. The leveling is more streamlined with lots of help and helpful tips. Sure, you don't do stores 3-4-5 levels above you but now you get more streamlined personal story with new chapter every few levels, which is nice because you don't have a level gate if you hit on an interesting story. What I didn't like was that they crippled the story here and there for no reason at all. Although they did say they are looking into the issue so... 
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

All i see is 'easier', 'simplified', 'guides', 'teaching'..

So NPE = dumbing down GW2

I've never played GW2 and now i'm positive i never will.

Can we please stop calling these games MMORPG?

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

I don't necessarily 'like' it but I definitely don't think it's as big a problem as many people are making it out to be.   

My son and I rolled new chars to try it out and it was pretty clear that ANet simplified a good portion of the starting experience  but you're past most of the 'gates' within an hour or two.   

I do like the new level up rewards which for me made leveling up a little more meaningful since the change to the trait points.

Comparing the NPE to the NGE is absolutely absurd, as one completely changed the core mechanics of the class system in a game while the other simply changed a very small percentage of the leveling experience.  

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

The new leveling process is much better. I had two 80's already before this change and I will say that it is way nicer to actually get abilities as you level. It does give you something to look forward to, because previously you would just make an alt, buy one of each weapon type they could use, and have all abilities unlocked by level 3, then you had 77 levels of the same abilities - which got old pretty quickly.

Now, you will have all your skills unlocked by level 20 which still leaves 50 levels with not much happening. But at least they give you stuff when you level, so it feels like you're advancing.

That was always the problem with games the scale mobs to your level, you never feel stronger. And it's quite prevalent in GW2, it feels really samey until you get exotic gear and then everything feels trivial, there's little progression of power for you or mobs outside of that. Of course, if you circle strafe you will pretty much never get hit by anything.

• zonjimasenzonjimasen Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by deniter

Really? You bashed a game without even knowing what it does?

NPE doesnt really change the game whatsoever in its core mechanic. It only changes the early levelling experience, where most of the complaints were `bland` because everything was unlocked from the get go. Now they made everything takes a little bit more time to unlock.

This doesnt really affect veteran or old time player, since they have either the gold/tome/scroll to skip the unlock tasks.

I dont see how delaying traits and skill acquisition is `dumbing down` as you call it. Sure, it doesn't make it any more complex or hard, but I wont call it `dumbing down` either.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by deniter

Oh  gw2 has plenty of challenge, you'll just never know it ;) 

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

The trait changes still pain me, I wish there were multiple ways to unlock them, for example doing a number of jumping puzzles rather than obsidian sanctum, beating types of enemies or numbers of veterans/champs etc, rather than 100%ing zones, it just seems way too much for something you used to unlock with a 2 gold book.

The difficulty of unlocking should be way lower. Especially as the traits were pushed to such a high level.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by emikochan

The trait changes still pain me, I wish there were multiple ways to unlock them, for example doing a number of jumping puzzles rather than obsidian sanctum, beating types of enemies or numbers of veterans/champs etc, rather than 100%ing zones, it just seems way too much for something you used to unlock with a 2 gold book.

The difficulty of unlocking should be way lower. Especially as the traits were pushed to such a high level.

you can pay to unlock it, with gold in the class trainer

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by alkarionlog
    Originally posted by emikochan

you can pay to unlock it, with gold in the class trainer

You can but it's very expensive for what used to only cost 2 and a half gold, I thought when they announced the system, the traits would come to around that price in total (maybe 5 at most) I just think it'd be nicer if there was more than 1 way to unlock each trait through gameplay.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    It was only disctraction from other things people asking for 2 years, cause they went full retard and don't know what to do with game.