Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG gamers migrating to other genres...

13»

Comments

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Right now I'm pretty tired of MMOs in general. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I have chosen a future title that i plan on playing, so it's hard for me to focus on any current game because basically why bother, i'll quit it when the game I'm waiting for gets released (repop).

I'm planning on picking up all of the single player game series that have been released while I've been nolifing MMOs, this includes assassins creed (steam sale right now btw), bioshock, mass effect, stalker, dark souls etc etc. Hopefully spending at least a month on each one and by the time I'm done with most of the major ones, repop will be in open beta or released.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by orionblack

You know what I have been doing ? Enjoying my consoles more and more......

This is me as well. I basically skipped the entire previous generation of console games even though I had a Wii and Xbox360, but I just didn't find too many games worth my time. Now, I find myself playing my PS4 quite a bit, and I can waste hours upon hours playing Mario Kart 8 online mode.

I've more or less regressed in my gaming habits. I went back to WoW after about a year break. I am looking forward to JRPGs again, and own a bunch of Nintendo games again. I'm extremely happy too.

Boogie from YouTube was talking about a potential second gaming crash coming a few weeks ago. I feel he may be right as far as PC gaming goes. Far too many junk games with early access bullcrap on the PC anymore. Not that all console games are gold, but I feel like I am having less of a chance at getting ripped off with my console games (which I am extremely picky about). The only PC games I even consider anymore come from land standing franchises that have proven themselves time and again, and even then nothing is sacred anymore (looking at you D3 pre-xpack).

My desktop is more of a WoW/Internet Machine than a true gaming rig anymore. On the other hand, my PS4 and Wii U are getting daily workouts.

Just shows you, the more things change the more they stay the same.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Aye, have started purchasing single player games and bundle games (GoG, Indiegala, Humblebundle and Bundlestars).

Online subscription and F2P games are just too damn dull and boring thesedays (or like archeage just simply after your £/$ as fast and quickly as possible). WoW decided to increase their prices (after increasing item shop stuff, and saying they would not increase the monthly subscription rate, 2-3 mths later they turn tail and increase) puttign WoW as the most expecnsive monthly game to sub to.

Since i stopped playing 7 mths back, till they fix the server population (not just merge servers into a group but leave trading out and teh AH out of it), also piling these with an increase in opposite faction (ok fine on PvE servers but PvP when 5% is alliance and 95% is horde based and all they do is camp in teams and stop opposite faction players from actually playing any new content is wrong. Yet Bliz did fucking nothing about it, that is why i stopped playing.

Now some have said transfer servers, not at £15 a time .... oh wait not at £18 a time per character i wont and times that by 10. Thats 1 huge rip off in my books.

Then Archeage, to play this game one MUST be a subscriber at least and stay as a subscriber (let it lapse and only hrs after your lands will be opened up for plundering and destroying). But many other issue's come with this game which was dissapointing, but i should have known since it failed everywhere else as well.

Not really much out there that offers anything new, untill that happens i dont think i will be playing many.

• sugamarisugamari Member UncommonPosts: 16

I never got into Eve but the way ppl talk about it i maybe should have. I do play everygame and can't seem to find one that is as captivating or deep as my longtime fallback Entropia Universe.  Except for Star Citizen nothing looks like it will sate that need that EU does. EU is so deep it's hard to categorize - but it's far from free . You do need to invest time and/or money. I think that the main thing keeping this game going is that so many people invested soooooo much.. you can play for free though and I have met some people ingame who are highly skilled non depositors.

It's got elements of many genres and can be played an infinite number of ways. Crafting, Hunting or Mining. Beauty, Body sculpting and Make Up (lol yes make up), Space Ships, Pirates or taxi drivers. Storekeepers and many other services. There is even several different start planets.

In Entropia Universe theres Calypso, Arkadia, Monria, Cyrene and Rocktropia  I don't recommend starting on Toulan yet or Next Island (dying) but each area has it's own nubee missions.( everyone seems to migrate to Calypso though and Arkadia mainly... if you do sign up should sign up there and you can migrate later if you like the other planets). You can play free, deposit crazy amount of USD or bring 6 million dollars to make your own planet. You can make a living in this game - but theres catches like they'll only upload peds to your bank .

What's more is you can invest in ingame items like deeds that give daily or weekly payouts. What's new is their plan to introduce PVP pet pitfighting called Compets along with Compet deeds which will payout tiny percentages of their profits from the planned mobile subgame.

It's an older game running on cryengine 3 still i think or is it 2 - anyways it's the longest standing fallback MMORPG I have ever played. One of the coolest things about it is you can play it while doing other things like type in forums, websearching and netflix. And you can forget about it for as long as six months while you play the next great game and it will be there exactly where you left it when that game bores you.

Sign up - get a mentor such as myself - Jo Aloisius Smith - to help you get over the steep learning curve, how to play economically and where to start if you don't want to depo.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by oldschoolpunk

This in a nutshell...but I still think that some MMO's did capture the spirit of the RPG even if just a little bit.  I WISH that every developer would look to have MMORPG's resemble good RPG's, but instead they are calling a non-RPG an MMORPG.  Makes no sense.  

nah ... i like action combat with progression more. Personally l like marvel heroes type MMORPGs. If you really want to RP, MUDs are probably better choices than MMOs. Most players on MMOs are not interested in RPing.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I play video games.  That includes playing MMORPGs.  If I'm not playing an MMORPG right now, it does not mean that I've left the MMORPG genre, it just means I'm not playing an MMORPG right now.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I agree with a few other posters that its not so much the games, it is the people playing them.  I wish gaming was similar to the system in Korea where your real life ID is tied to your online accounts so that when you acted like a d-bag people could come to your house and beat you.  If acting bad online was tied to real life, we would not have so many hateful people in forums and games.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Manestream

Aye, have started purchasing single player games and bundle games (GoG, Indiegala, Humblebundle and Bundlestars).

Online subscription and F2P games are just too damn dull and boring thesedays (or like archeage just simply after your £/$ as fast and quickly as possible). WoW decided to increase their prices (after increasing item shop stuff, and saying they would not increase the monthly subscription rate, 2-3 mths later they turn tail and increase) puttign WoW as the most expecnsive monthly game to sub to.

Since i stopped playing 7 mths back, till they fix the server population (not just merge servers into a group but leave trading out and teh AH out of it), also piling these with an increase in opposite faction (ok fine on PvE servers but PvP when 5% is alliance and 95% is horde based and all they do is camp in teams and stop opposite faction players from actually playing any new content is wrong. Yet Bliz did fucking nothing about it, that is why i stopped playing.

Now some have said transfer servers, not at £15 a time .... oh wait not at £18 a time per character i wont and times that by 10. Thats 1 huge rip off in my books.

Then Archeage, to play this game one MUST be a subscriber at least and stay as a subscriber (let it lapse and only hrs after your lands will be opened up for plundering and destroying). But many other issue's come with this game which was dissapointing, but i should have known since it failed everywhere else as well.

Not really much out there that offers anything new, untill that happens i dont think i will be playing many.

GOG's rules now. I've been having a blast playing some of my favorite games. I don't know how they do it. I'm playing older singleplayer games that i could never run on my newer system. They even have old Sega Dreamcast games that you can run on pc and they are either free or cheap money. This company is the real deal in gaming for old schooler's

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Sure I'm playing other games right now.

Reasons?

- there are no MMORPGs left without a cash shop, and I don't like to play p2w games

- F2P MMORPGs are ironically far more expensive than other games. Want more than one character slot? Pay 20$. Want to craft? Another 10$. Want to have more than 3 slots in the bank? 30$. And so on and so on.

- AAA games are often in many ways superior to MMORPGs. Graphics, audio, story and whatnot. 

- What I thought of as being most fun in MMORPGs was crafting and raiding. And raiding is only fun if it is challenging, which means it requires a lot of time. More time than I want to invest.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)