Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General question about FFXIV

Hello guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give me an honest advice regarding FFXIV. I love this game (played it 1 month after its release but then stopped) and i was considering if i should get back to it or not. Is there any new server created or to be created where everyone has a fresh start? I am afraid of coming back and since everything has 1year or a bit less, i would be filled with top players with top gear with not many low level players. It is the thing i hate the most in mmorpgs.

So i was wondering if there is any new server, or worth the shot trying one of the old ones? Despite wanting to come back to it, i have other games to play so i am hesitant specially because there are monthly fees involved.

Thanks!

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I just went back about a month ago after stopping playing before the first big content release.

Go back to your old server, is my advice. There really is no reason to go to another server.

There are plenty of servers that are lower pop or not quite as inflated on the Market, but there isn't any huge reason you would need to do that, because the game hasn't advanced so far that you aren't able to pick up, or start over, and still be able to make it.

They have tweaked a good deal at the top end - making it easier to at least catch up and be viable in late-game content. There is cross-class play, which lets you pick another class/job and essentially start your character over (while still having access to the high level jobs you may have previously leveled), without having to redo all the storyline unlocks.

When I came back, I had a few jobs up to 50, but some still in the teens. I picked a low level class and just "started over" with that one, and leveled it up to 50. It was fun, now I'm doing more leveling on more jobs and crafts than I am chasing "end-game"

I guess once I level all the jobs and classes I may get pushed into the "end-game" - but Rogue/Ninja is slated to come out "soon" (a few weeks) - and if there ever was a good opportunity to get back in, that would be it.

• lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260

well I have just made to white mage with no probs at all. in the dungeon finder has an healer was not waiting 5 mins  :)). but has an dps can take up to 20 mins main reason has most people play dps classes. so no probs at all in low lv dungeons.

and has for it being out for a year you still see people all over the place not like most mmos ive played in the past :)).

• SvckMyGlockSvckMyGlock Member Posts: 2

Thanks a lot guys for your answers. I guess i'll give it a try. I am just not between staying in the server i was (Moogle, lvl 24) or start on Zodiark. I got told it opened on the launch day of the PS4 so it's only 5 months old. What do you think? It is worth it the shot?

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I started from scratch recently and I am now level 50 on a white mage. The game is teaming with people everywhere. You have to see it to believe it. I had absolutely no problem getting groups and the dungeon crawling is one of the best out there right now in my opinion. I am slowly gearing up and being a healer helped as I am always in a group easily.

They are very smart they make it so people are always in every zone either looking for Atmas, doing hunts or killing marks even at level 50. So every zone is jammed packed and I was really surprised how well this works. The game is very well done and I am so glad I am playing it and as a healer it is so challenging and fun. I am really happy I started again as I too left soon after launch before and I cannot even recall why I left. I think I started too much crafting and got weary this time I eschewed crafting altogether but I might do it later on.

I envy you your new journey.

Chamber of Chains
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by SvckMyGlock

Thanks a lot guys for your answers. I guess i'll give it a try. I am just not between staying in the server i was (Moogle, lvl 24) or start on Zodiark. I got told it opened on the launch day of the PS4 so it's only 5 months old. What do you think? It is worth it the shot?

Personally I would stick to your existing server, there is no need to go to a new one, unless of course you are trying to avoid certain people on your old one haha. 

Because part of the end game reward system links in to daily dungeons you'll never struggle to do the group based content, like primals, dungeons and guildhests. Of course, if you are playing a DPS role then expect the traditional wait as DPS normally out numbers healer and tank roles. 

If you are playing a tank or healer then expect to get in pretty much straight away if you are playing in peak, or waiting just a couple of mins outside of peak. 

The reason I say not to move servers is because your old server will have a set economy in place, meaning your resources that you farm will be sold for more. This means, come end game you'll have more gil to play about with. Starting from scratch will net you 200-300k whereas if you play and sell as you go on your existing server there should be no reason not to have 500k plus gil. 

Of course, it's all down to opinion because there are advantages of playing on a new server, such as joining a company or creating a new one. 

Either way, you'll benefit regardless. 

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    The only reason I'm not still there is money. I can't justify that sub anymore....
  • HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    There will probably be an influx of new players at the launch of the first expansion. I'd consider playing the game then.
    Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103
    Originally posted by Margrave
    The only reason I'm not still there is money. I can't justify that sub anymore....

That's fine, theres lots of Fail 2 Play games out there for you :)

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Margrave

12 bucks a month to ensure that you are getting QUALITY updates to the game every couple of months and to pay for developers that actually have experience and understand the intricacies and complexity of managing mmo game mechanics, and online society and economy.

12 bucks a month to play a game I know has a stable population as it continues to grow 2 to even 5 years from now. Nothing worse than dropping a 200 hrs into an online game only to find out that the developers only planned to make money of the box sale and then totally drop the ball and put the game on life support after that.

12 bucks a month to have the reassurance that the developer's target customer is the guy that pays 12 bucks a month and plans to stay for the long haul, not the guy who intends to buy their way to max lvl ASAP then leave before the month is over, or the impulse buyer guy that decides to drop 200 bucks on item mall items to cover the cost of 5 other guys that arent paying anything at all. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I just returned to the game, having not been a huge fan of the game at its re-release.

I can say now, however, that I'm having a blast. SE have added a *lot* to the game, and there's tons to do, to keep you busy.

Only way to find out for sure, of course, is to check it out yourself. I decided to give it another go, and I'm glad I did.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

i have a funny case here: 

i actually bought BOTH the game ( the 1st FFXIV and the ARR ), even pre ordered it, but i never even open the game yet, because of mixed review and yes it is partly my fault on not trying it myself before judging the game if it's good or not

but right now i really have nothing else to play after i am done with Destiny last week, so i think i will finally try to install the FFXIV,

question is:

is it a good time to start now?  i know that there have been some previous events that i might never get anymore, so does the previous story quests will matter a lot if i missed it?

Thanks

So What Now?