Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most racist mmo chat i have ever seen

13»

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

It's a PvP game, so of course the chat is going to be filled with douchebaggery. These types of games always attract the worst humanity has to offer. While I can't comment on AA's chat (haven't played the game, and don't want to), I will say that I would find it hard to believe that it could be worse than what I experienced with EVE Online.

Seriously, what the hell happened? Older PvP MMOs didn't have chat so bad. I remember playing Shadowbane, and the community was actually pretty good.

Guess that's just humanity in general.

Well, regardless if PVP games do indeed attract this type of behavior, it is up to the company to decide how to handle it.  From this thread alone, it is apparent that it is turning off some people to the game.  In the end, the company needs to decide if the cost and resources allocated to better moderation is worth it for keeping those players that are upset by it.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by JeroKane

It's a PvP game, so of course the chat is going to be filled with douchebaggery. These types of games always attract the worst humanity has to offer. While I can't comment on AA's chat (haven't played the game, and don't want to), I will say that I would find it hard to believe that it could be worse than what I experienced with EVE Online.

Seriously, what the hell happened? Older PvP MMOs didn't have chat so bad. I remember playing Shadowbane, and the community was actually pretty good.

Because back then MMO's, even PVP ones were a niche.  Everyone else was playing Unreal Tournament, Quake, Battlefield 1942, etc.

Yea but during that time there were fewer games, they cost less to keep running and developers cared about their MMO.  Today you have big corporations who are chasing the WOW DREAM, who want everyone and their grandma to play MMOS, and dont give a rats ass if someone is a douchebag in the game.  Just a 72 hour ban.  GO back to playing.  Hell I got a 72 hour ban in FFXIV for buying items that were from a gold seller on the market board.  Someone who bought gold got a 72 hour ban.  Everyone is getting the same treatment.  

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by danwest58

Yes it is just Humanity in general.  There is no patch for human stupidity.  O and its not just PVP games its all MMOs right now.  Hell I can even go to MOBA, HoTS I played the other day and seen major douchebaggery.  and it was Player vs CPU.  

I am now actually glad there is no Open Proximity chat and text chat in Destiny.

Seeing the Bungie forums.... I guess Bungie made a wise decision, to keep chat to private parties only.

I would be 100% ok with that in any game.  It keeps humans from being jack asses.  Look at Hearthstone.

Thats why I dont deal with any general chats in an MMOs

IT does not matter F2P, P2P at all.  Only thing that matters is if a company is willing to throw a Ban hammer that will delete the account for good.  

Edit

Even F2P games, if you ban a person enough time and block F2P players from open chats you can cut down on the BS.  But it will not get rid of it 100% if it does not work in a P2P game it will never completely resolve the issue.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Originally posted by adderVXI

In the days of EQ, you would never see the type of comments made you see in every online game today.  Chat has technically changed very little, people who play mmos have. 

Its unfortunate, but there should be some sort of chat moderation.   

I wonder how this would break down figuring in free accounts vs pay accounts?  I would assume that its the ftp peeps only cause its easy to and you dont care if you get banned.  FE had seperate channels for certain levels or ftp players if i recall, perhaps something like that might work?

From my own personal experience I would say that EQ was and is no better than any other MMO, even when it first came out. The "Play Nice" rules didn't come about in EQ1 because ppl respected each other, they came about because ppl where fed up with the attitudes of other players and how they could affect their gaming time.

The racist issues has always been there, it's been around since the dawn of human beings for heavens sake, and just because we play Online games does not suddenly mean everyone becomes an online saint and forgets their own flaws while playing, infact in most cases they become exaggerated.

By all means bring to the attention the bad behaviour of players, but don't think for one moment it is confined to any particular game, it isn't, it's human nature, and it will take many many more years before ppl are able to get along respectfully with each other.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

One of the reasons why I asked for a refund, the other being the utterly bad release and ability to just log into the game, and just get to the basic features like housing. And as a praise for Trion's customer service, I got all my founder money back. I'm just going to add that it's the first time ever that I've asked for a refund in any MMORPG I've played. Yeah, it's THAT bad.

This game is a pile of steaming shit, good on the paper and in beta with limited access, but a catastrophe live with free to play. And I doubt it'll survive much longer here in NA/EU than it did in Korea.

I've known you here for a while.  I do trust your judgement on this.  Thanks for the input.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Astro6

Seems the players are not afraid of Trion soo much racist chat even trial chat i have ever seen in any mmo because of  the bad reporting system i can see a lawsuit here also see bullying in chat every day.

Try to be a pirate like me, people will flame you and wish you death in real life. This is no fun either, just don't take it serious and that's it. People take everything way to serious. Same stuff with those 1000 man aliances adding single persons on KoS lists xD, it is just ridicoulus.

• Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Play DOTA 2 long enough, y'all aint seen nothing in AA, and I mean nothing.  Best part is when you get assigned to a PUG game and the team ypu end up on is 4 friends who all know each other, and you are the 5th man....make sure you got thick skin for that.
  • DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by adderVXI

Its unfortunate, but there should be some sort of chat moderation.   

I wonder how this would break down figuring in free accounts vs pay accounts?  I would assume that its the ftp peeps only cause its easy to and you dont care if you get banned.  FE had seperate channels for certain levels or ftp players if i recall, perhaps something like that might work?

That's the difference, right there. Fallen Earth's chat is regularly monitored and moderated by at least 1 GM, which is made possible by its much smaller playerbase. If Trion made the attempt to send in a batch of even temporary moderators and ban a handful of heavy offenders (really on my server its about 10 people that seem to make it their job to say awful things in chat) the general pop would get the message and tone it down, at least for a while.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

people act like trion can change anything with this game anytime they dam-well please..

fact: its not their game nor coding they need permission to tweek the game if it falls on deaf ears..well you know the rest

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Peer_Gynt
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Welcome to the future of being online and a major contributor to why so many ppl play games solo or in "closed communities " It's these people not the games that have done so much damage to the genre.

I think you can place the main blame on the FTP aspect of the game. The people that enjoy trolling games just for the fun of it have zero fear of a ban as they can just make another throwaway account, and IP banning does absoloutely nothing as there are so many IP proxy options for trolls to use.

And there is another facet of this kind of behavior I think most people don't realize exists. Quite a few of the more toxic trolls that like to start racist and political shit fests are in reality gold farmers who delight in pissing off western gamers whilst grinding away at their dull jobs.

*Addendum: Almost forgot, back during the launch days of Rift I remember that Trion's stance on toxic community members was to let them fight it out rather than apply heavy handed moderation. I'm not sure if that outlook has changed.

it hasn't changed much. BTW most of the people that are claiming racist speach are wrong. Currently the french , brazilians, and russians have angered a lot of players by using their native languages on pulblic chat so a lot of people have been talking smack on them in public chat. Of course we get every person that wasn't using English complaining that people were racist on the forums. Clearly the chosen language of the game is english so why speak in any other language in chat. Common sense goes a long way.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Because back then MMO's, even PVP ones were a niche.  Everyone else was playing Unreal Tournament, Quake, Battlefield 1942, etc.

Only back then Asheron call, and if there pvp server was only a bit nicer, but that pvp only server was all about ganking, name calling all type of stuff went there. But this pvp mmo was not nice this was one of the few, I played a few of the back then.

• Painbringer7Painbringer7 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    I watch the Trial chat every time I log in.  Some of the stuff I read on it is just pure comical gold ( it is what you get when "A Jury of your Peers" happens to be comprised of 10-14 year olds).  But man, talk about racism....read a conversation between two guys picking on a poor sap that happened to mention he was from India.....not cool.

The code of the pessimistic loner: "We unpopular loners are realists, who follow the three non- popular principles: Not having any (Hope), Not making any (Gaps in your heart); And not giving into (Sweet talk)".

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Starbuck1771
    Originally posted by Peer_Gynt
    Welcome to the future of being online and a major contributor to why so many ppl play games solo or in "closed communities " It's these people not the games that have done so much damage to the genre.

I think you can place the main blame on the FTP aspect of the game. The people that enjoy trolling games just for the fun of it have zero fear of a ban as they can just make another throwaway account, and IP banning does absoloutely nothing as there are so many IP proxy options for trolls to use.

And there is another facet of this kind of behavior I think most people don't realize exists. Quite a few of the more toxic trolls that like to start racist and political shit fests are in reality gold farmers who delight in pissing off western gamers whilst grinding away at their dull jobs.

*Addendum: Almost forgot, back during the launch days of Rift I remember that Trion's stance on toxic community members was to let them fight it out rather than apply heavy handed moderation. I'm not sure if that outlook has changed.

it hasn't changed much. BTW most of the people that are claiming racist speach are wrong. Currently the french , brazilians, and russians have angered a lot of players by using their native languages on pulblic chat so a lot of people have been talking smack on them in public chat. Of course we get every person that wasn't using English complaining that people were racist on the forums. Clearly the chosen language of the game is english so why speak in any other language in chat. Common sense goes a long way.

Easy to say when you're an English speaker. Common sense to me says if they're not speaking my language....they don't care if I understand it or not because they're not talking to me.... so I just ignore it like all the rest of the spam. But that would require being tolerant of other people....something you don't find a lot of online.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Main chat is a privilege, not a right.

In Lineage (at least when I played in 2001) you didn't even get access to the chat until you hit lvl 15 and you could get banned from it so people were careful with what they said.

I think hat is wise, and I also think that banning people from the chat should be easier than banning them from the game altogether, in F2P games people who get banned tend to just start a new account and continue as they did before. If they lost their chatting rights a month for each stupid thing they might think a bit before posting rascist slurs and calling female gamers nasty stuff I honestly would beat up anyone for if they said that to a lady IRL.

And MMOs also need to be better at policing their community for such things. And not just AA but all MMOs.

Then again, some crap do we have to take, some people are overly sensitive and you can't really report anyone for them saying that you are a bad tank and booting you out of their group.

Another advantage of not letting people chat until they played a few hours (or having a noob chat just for low levels) is that most goldspammers at least get a harder time. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Easy to say when you're an English speaker. Common sense to me says if they're not speaking my language....they don't care if I understand it or not because they're not talking to me.... so I just ignore it like all the rest of the spam. But that would require being tolerant of other people....something you don't find a lot of online.

English is not my main languages, but I still only chat in English in the main chat.

Guild recruiting is fine though, but the main chat gets useless if we all use our native language.

Of course the games could just make a simple filter where you click in any language you understands and blocks the rest but if that is not in I prefer to get understood or I don't bother to chat at all.

Our guild chat is usually in Swedish though, unless our single British member is online. I

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Sorry but no AA is not the worse I have seen.  In SWTOR there were french Canadians who were 100 times worse than people in AA.  Hell I had several French Canadians send me tells to either speak french of get off their server.  With a lot of name calling and BS.  So no AA is not the worse.  The crap that goes on in AA I have seen in countless other games.  So stop acting like AA is the ONLY game or HOW BAD something is when its spread throughout all MMOs.

Oh no it is the worst right now. Telling you to speak French on English server is not racism by the way. If that is the best you can come up with then clearly you haven't been paying attention to AA chat.

Big,

I am not going to explain the comments that were thrown back and forth between the French and English speaking people on my SWTOR server.  it was bad there was a lot of sexual expletives or the N word thrown around.  There were 100s of players ban on SWTOR for that crap that was going on.  And NO AA is not the worse.  Just because you see 3 or 4 people being Jack asses in a chat group does not make it the worse.  Having people sending you tells and starting shit with you just because that takes it to a whole new level.  The problem is people are being overly dramatic about AA For one reason or another.  

For example one person wanted a refund because he could on log in all 4 of the head start days so he wanted a full refund on his game.  Yes Overly Dramatic for what?  Nothing.  Just people being self entitled wanting to make things really worse than they truly are.  

Overdramatic? nope. Surprised? yes. I would like to take screenshots and post the chat logs here but i am sure it will be removed by mods because that is how vile and sick they are.  SWTOR comes no where close.

And yet.....you continue to play the game, keep the chat logs open, read what is posted there, and fail to ignore the offenders.

One has to assume you actually enjoy it, at some vicarious level, if only so you can come here to slam the game and it's playerbase.

Ignoring the people in chat does nothing to stem the abuse of the chatting system in game. I ignore major offenders but it comes a time when it gets bad and AA chat is bad, that you need to speak out about it. My guild chat in the game at times is getting just as bad as open world chat. It seems AA has attracted a large group of despots and low lifes that thinks it's cool to sound like uneducated thugs. 

My search for a group of people that want to be more of a roleplay society in a RPG continues. 

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I am saddened to hear this about the chat.  The disrespectful nature in chat is a problem that could and should be rectified by the developer.  If enough people complain about it, especially the paying ones, and if begins to impact the financial side, then perhaps something can be done.  In a way perhaps this speaks to the current state of affairs in society.  Years ago, this never would have been tolerated or accepted.
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Stop playing on NA servers. Problem solved, you're welcome.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well racism is against the law so Trion had better get their act in order.With very little effort they could censor out certain words and imo if it keeps happening they should do it.

Has anyone sent complaints to Trion about it?If so post their response,racism and bullying should not be swept under the carpet.I know the legal that usually reside in these games are a cop out,they usually say they can't police the internet,use at your own risk.Well they most certainly can police it and it is their platform to which they are making money running a business.

This site should confront Trion as well,they have in game chat logs, ask them if they are doing anything about it.

The last problem like this was during the Lineage days,rumors and fact of gangs going to other players homes and work to confront them over game anger.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

This discussion has been closed.