Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Far better game play and quality" than Archeage

JaimlJaiml Member UncommonPosts: 130

*Not sure where to post this so I placed it here.*

So I am seeing lots of negativity towards Archeage.   Like that is any different form any other game here!  image

There is currently a large thread about "why I quit."  I have no problem with that.  Information is always good.

What I have a problem is that in general the posts say "there are far better games with better quality" than Archeage.  But no specific games being listed.   I'm no Archeage fanboy but I am enjoying the game.  BUT if there is a better sandbox, theme park game out there I want to know about it.  I've played EVE off an on for years, but it just doesn't grab me.  So don't use that one.

Don't just tell me there are better games.  Don't just say that the stuff with better game play, stuff with better graphics, stuff that is totally free to play and all players are equal!.  I don't need F2P but I haven't seen a game yet that is listed as F2P and people aren't complain that it is not truly F2P.

What are these games that are so much better?  I'm not a PvP fan.  I lack the twitch factor and just get my but kicked time after time.  I don't mind PvP but the game can't just revolve around that... I spend too much time in the graveyard.

Yeah, I know, you're thinking, "Look at the Carebare!"  You're right, but I know it and I embrace it.

What are these awesome games that I am missing out on so I can go try them out? 

I love sandbox, crafting, theme park, cut scenes.  Now that I admit it, don't kick me off the boards!  It seems like these are bad things to like around here!

Comments

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281

try project gorgon for now.

Another could be FFXIV

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Jaiml

I love sandbox, crafting, theme park, cut scenes.

Crafting and themepark does not bode well together and for sandbox game play, you did no like EVE so there isn't really much options left.

SWTOR and ESO are both excelllent, top quality games, did you try them out already?

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Eve is a space sim game so  you really cant compare it to ArcheAge  but when it comes to fantasy swords and magic type ArcheAge is the best out there. Not saying ArcheAge is the best mmo ever made but its better then games like Darkfall and Mortal Online. Those games are just horrible.
  • JaimlJaiml Member UncommonPosts: 130

I'm actually enjoying Archeage, but there is so much noise about how awful it is I wondered what everyone knew that I don't!

I have tried SWTOR and ESO.  Though I was thinking of giving ESO another try once I get bored with Archeage.  I never play games for long periods.  I really liked the original Star Wars before the changes...

I'll have to check out Gorgon.  I have never tried FF games.  I wil have to look into that as well.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I would have said Darkfall UW.  But OP said he has no twitch ability.  Both games have some things in common (freedom, large seamless worlds)  Archeage is pretty much it for you I suppose.  I think Archeage has better crafting while Darkfall has, believe it or not, better PvE.  Archeage forgot to add loot tables to the game lol.

I don't think there are many out there that are far better than Archeage in what it does (other than combat, but that is subjective). 

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by oldschoolpunk

Another could be FFXIV

I seriously almost peed my pants!  FFXIV is a sandbox game?  FFXIV is about as instanced and lobby based as they come!  FFXIV makes WoW look like a sandbox.

The short answer OP is there aren't any.  This community repeats the same cycle for every game that is released.  My advice is that if you are enjoying the game, stay off these forums as they are toxic.  I am loving the game and in fact I am having more fun than I have had in years playing a MMO. 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

OP:

I think the majority would disagree with me however I think Wurm Online is actually a better sandbox and is as good at 'polish' as AA is (this is the part many would disagree with). I know 'polish' is a highly abstract term but there it is.

I did buy ArcheAge beta, I canceled and went back to Wurm

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

@op

Kinda off topic but this game has the worst community I have ever seen in an MMO....

I'm on lucius and OMG everyday it's the same topics over and over Racial slurs, Homophobic slurs, BR slurs etc etc yesterday the chat was about nothing all day but the Ferguson case you can imagine how fun that was..... The trial chat is even worse all they do is go back and forth.....

What's funny is people say that the Wow community is bad it ain't got nothing on this game, I bet half these people pulling this crap are grown adults in there 20's and 30's.............

It's pretty bad when I have to have almost every channel off just to play the game.......

Someone was saying on reddit that the newest server is much better maybe I should check that one out..

Ok, back on topic Albion Online may interest you it's in alpha atm but I would check it out..

• BobalueBobalue Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I would have said Darkfall UW.  But OP said he has no twitch ability.  Both games have some things in common (freedom, large seamless worlds)  Archeage is pretty much it for you I suppose.  I think Archeage has better crafting while Darkfall has, believe it or not, better PvE.  Archeage forgot to add loot tables to the game lol.

I don't think there are many out there that are far better than Archeage in what it does (other than combat, but that is subjective). 

Eh, I feel like Darkfall has a really nice crafting system and even if you aren't the best PvPer you can still make a difference in a fight.
    Originally posted by nationalcity

@op

Kinda off topic but this game has the worst community I have ever seen in an MMO....

I'm on lucius and OMG everyday it's the same topics over and over Racial slurs, Homophobic slurs, BR slurs etc etc yesterday the chat was about nothing all day but the ferguson case you can imagine how fun that was..... The trial chat is even worse all they do is go back and forth.....

What's funny is people say that the Wow community is bad it ain't got nothing on this game, I bet half these people pulling this crap are grown adults in there 20's and 30's.............

It's pretty bad when I have to have almost every channel off just to play the game.......

I agree 100%

I'm on Enla and I turned off Nation, Alliance and Trial to eliminate the crap.... then I felt like I was playing a solo game.  There is 0 policing of the chat channels.  That is my biggest complaint!

Looks like I have a small list to review once I move on from Archage

Darkfall  -  long shot but might be worth looking at

ESO - give it a second chance

WURM - probably dated but if the game play is good I am ok with that

Gorgon - Though I don't like playing tester.  I'll give it some time to mature.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Whether it grabs you or not doesn't mean EVE isn't a better sandbox, just not a better sandbox for you.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Spankster77
    Originally posted by oldschoolpunk

Another could be FFXIV

I seriously almost peed my pants!  FFXIV is a sandbox game?  FFXIV is about as instanced and lobby based as they come!  FFXIV makes WoW look like a sandbox.

The short answer OP is there aren't any.  This community repeats the same cycle for every game that is released.  My advice is that if you are enjoying the game, stay off these forums as they are toxic.  I am loving the game and in fact I am having more fun than I have had in years playing a MMO. 

This post.

FFXIV is a narrow little game that lacks ambition or scope. People criticise AA heavily for it's quests, when they are really a tiny part of that game and are really just a tutorial, while FFXIV and other themeparks get a free pass when they offer nothing better and form the bulk of their content.

It is just fashionable to hate on AA right now, mainly by freebs who are angry that they are would have to pay into it to get the most out of it.

They feel emotionally jilted and so pick on every pedantic tiny flaw to be blown up in catastrophy to rage about. I suspect it's is rooted in entitlement.

• HerzyHerzy Member UncommonPosts: 184

FFXIV? People are seriously just taking the piss now. Just play whatever you like! It's okay to not like things.

FFXIV is an MMO heavy on story and questing which you cannot skirt around if crafting is all you want to do.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

@op

I'm on lucius and OMG everyday it's the same topics over and over Racial slurs, Homophobic slurs, BR slurs etc etc yesterday the chat was about nothing all day but the ferguson case you can imagine how fun that was..... The trial chat is even worse all they do is go back and forth.....

I agree 100%

I'm on Enla and I turned off Nation, Alliance and Trial to eliminate the crap.... then I felt like I was playing a solo game.  There is 0 policing of the chat channels.  That is my biggest complaint!

oh, you didn't get into a guild, make friends, form a crafting/ gathering/ trade family and meet people out and about in the world?

ok, I can see why you had trouble.. Relying on any faction chat in any game in order to not feel alone is difficult. My advice is to leave it behind asap and form more meaningful relationships with folks that you can work with and help each other progress.

AA is a game you play with others at it's deepest level, but that playing with others doesn't mean you have to talk in faction. I am suprised so many of you put so much value in wanting to read it these days tbh.

Originally posted by Vesavius

@op

I agree 100%

oh, you didn't get into a guild, make friends, form a crafting/ gathering/ trade family and meet people out and about in the world?

ok, I can see why you had trouble.. Relying on any faction chat in any game in order to not feel alone is difficult. My advice is to leave it behind asap and form more meaningful relationships with folks that you can work with and help each other progress.

AA is a game you play with others at it's deepest level, but that playing with others doesn't mean you have to talk in faction. I am suprised so many of you put so much value in wanting to read it these days tbh.

To be clear I am still playing Archeage and I am not planning on moving away any time soon. 

I also agree that my greatest need in the game right now is to join a good guild.  Thankfully the weekend is coming up and I can spend sometime finding the right fit. =)

I originally started this thread because I was tired of posts about how there was so much better stuff than Archeage but nobody ever said what that was.  Blanket generalities like that drive me nuts.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606
    I tried archeage for several days at launch, and honestly the only thing I hated (and why I no longer play it) is the AWFUL class mechanics, that ruined what would have otherwise been a great game to me.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Saying that "there are far better games" is not really valid, saying "I prefer this game" is a very different matter.

You could however say that there are games that look far better or have higher polygon count (but with art we are once again about personal taste).

Anyways, I think office have a few pre-made documents where you just change the name of the game to whatever just got released because a lot of threads seems very familiar by now.

Posting a mini review and explain why you don't like a specific game is good though, but just saying that it sucks doesn't really help anyone at all.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

*Not sure where to post this so I placed it here.*

So I am seeing lots of negativity towards Archeage.   Like that is any different form any other game here!  image

There is currently a large thread about "why I quit."  I have no problem with that.  Information is always good.

What I have a problem is that in general the posts say "there are far better games with better quality" than Archeage.  But no specific games being listed.   I'm no Archeage fanboy but I am enjoying the game.  BUT if there is a better sandbox, theme park game out there I want to know about it.  I've played EVE off an on for years, but it just doesn't grab me.  So don't use that one.

This happens with every game release here.  The pendulum starts with the hype "OMG BEST MMO EVER" reaches the "WORST GAME EVA!" to finally settling in somewhere (largely based on the numbers released for active subs).

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Here is my schedule OP and you can thank me later.

October 9th. Final Fantasy XIII (trology). Finally, the wait is over for me. Never bought console after I got my PC in 2001.

November 20th. Path of Exile new, hardcore (permadeath league). Fits your none PvP mentality. There is a good 2 weeks to sink there and test yourself and enjoy a completely new/different league.

Skyrim! Your mind is the limit here. With the amount of modding, single player games can offer far more...than what these shallow, cash grabing MMO's float these days.

December 1st, Raids open in World of Warcraft, this should be your alternative option if playing the best of the best matters to you more than $.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

At one time there was that better game and i will never forget how great it was >>>FFXI.It was not a game of hand holding and chasing around markers over npc heads,it was YOUR game to play not a linear developer's game.However over time it changed and is no longer the same game as is more focused on end game of course.

I am enjoying Gorgon even throguh it is no where near a triple A game,it just has the simple things i like as in NO hand holding ,no linear questing progression,just kill stuff and build up/unlock lots of skills.

What AA does is most certainly pretty good and what i don't like does not make AA a bad game it is just not the game i want to play.It onlyu does a few things what i call bad,other than that it is a more than average game.

What i don't like is any strong push for pvp,RMT,cash shops and hand holding and linear questing.I also want a very strong effort by the publisher to make sure cheating and botting is not relevant.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The problem is TW doesn't have control to fix major trending issues with the game, only XL does. Only thing TW can do is alter stuff in the CS and twindle their thumbs while waiting for XL to respond to their harsh letters about issues. So many bots going around that find holes in the programming of the game. The elements of the game are okay, just the stuff needs to be done about the third party sources. Sure they could ban them but its a f2p game, so they can just make another account and keep doing it. So the problem lies in the source coding.