Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Secret game journalist list. Can we still trust MMO reviews?

Comments

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by WillowFuxxy

What EXACTLY is a 'LIBERAL' agenda in a gaming review site?

The rights of women to speak?....or what exactly? 

No need to write in caps here, or cause any more drama than there already is being created by these journalists. I don't want this topic to devolve into drama.

The reason some are calling it liberal, is because these sites seem to push an agenda, and thereby also generate clicks. They tend to push liberal agendas, like not enough female gamers, or not enough female developers, or not enough female characters, or gay rights, or the drama about Zoey Quinn.

Gamers (female and male) took issue with that, because for most it should be about games. Not about who slept with who, not about feminism or about other things.

Behind everything is the matter of money, when you can cause drama that results in clickbaits, and even more so do it in a group, it gives those people and writers and sites, incentive to change the debate from games, to feminism, or women rights, or gay rights, etc. Those dramatic topics, generate more money, than the latest review about Tomb Raider.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Is this like a list of journalists who only review secret games which we'll never know about, or a list of journalists that is itself a secret, so nobody really knows about it?

Ok, just read the top post.  My response is, "Duh".  Where do you think the ideas for articles come from?  Thin air?  No, of course not.  They look for things that people get all up in arms about.  Where do you think they earn money?  Thin air?  No, of course not.  They earn money from ad revenue generated by clicks.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

No doubt that only "theme park" MMO's should be rated favorably, while anything sandboxy or made by indie devs should be routinely panned.

Always knew this was just a plot to shove easy mode games down our throats.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Battlerock

That's pretty narrow to make a statement that implies mentioning "liberal" is somehow an attack on women's rights, I don't think that was what the op was suggesting.

Yeah, especially since Women's Voting Rights were passed by a majority Republican house and Senate..........  #revisionistshistoryftl

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by Kyleran

No doubt that only "theme park" MMO's should be rated favorably, while anything sandboxy or made by indie devs should be routinely panned.

Apparently OP actually meant Liberal as in the political. 

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

dude really that is a tin foil hat comment seriously.  Its about who greases whos pocket in the gaming industry along with every other advertising market in the world. The fact you guys think this is something new and terrible is funny. This is what capitalism is. This happens daily in every single walk of society from religious groups to governors in states to world leaders. People pay to have their agendas pushed and its what marketing is all about. Just because you like a certain type of game and others dont doesnt mean its some secret world order making sure others do not like the game. Go ask Governor Mcdonald and his wife how they feel for all the bribery they are going to prison for , for pushing a product over others to state employees. 

Lesson to everyone is simple review things yourself and watch gameplay videos and see if you like it. If a company has connections and money they are going to get everyones eyes on them way before the little guy can do it. These journalists are going to earn their money one way or another its called greed. I was banned here for attacking a dev for perfect world recently I didnt cuss at him nor threaten him but these people gave me a warning either way so what does that tell you? These people are in bed with companies to here , they have to pay the bills dont they ? its advertising and why you can log in here anytime for free and the site is always up accept it and move on....

• WillowFuxxyWillowFuxxy Member Posts: 406
    Originally posted by cronius77

dude really that is a tin foil hat comment seriously.  Its about who greases whos pocket in the gaming industry along with every other advertising market in the world. The fact you guys think this is something new and terrible is funny. This is what capitalism is. This happens daily in every single walk of society from religious groups to governors in states to world leaders. People pay to have their agendas pushed and its what marketing is all about. Just because you like a certain type of game and others dont doesnt mean its some secret world order making sure others do not like the game. Go ask Governor Mcdonald and his wife how they feel for all the bribery they are going to prison for , for pushing a product over others to state employees. 

Lesson to everyone is simple review things yourself and watch gameplay videos and see if you like it. If a company has connections and money they are going to get everyones eyes on them way before the little guy can do it. These journalists are going to earn their money one way or another its called greed. I was banned here for attacking a dev for perfect world recently I didnt cuss at him nor threaten him but these people gave me a warning either way so what does that tell you? These people are in bed with companies to here , they have to pay the bills dont they ? its advertising and why you can log in here anytime for free and the site is always up accept it and move on....

so is this what the poster is calling 'liberal agenda'....

Originally posted by oldschoolpunk

That's pretty narrow to make a statement that implies mentioning "liberal" is somehow an attack on women's rights, I don't think that was what the op was suggesting.

Yeah, especially since Women's Voting Rights were passed by a majority Republican house and Senate..........  #revisionistshistoryftl

so its not that...then what is it? what 'liberal agenda' is he refering to? the interests of Sony?

• BreshaBresha Member Posts: 65

Its really nothing surprising..

Whats stopping a game company from shelling out cash to these reviewers for a positive review of their product?

When the news media and movie critics also push their personal agenda.What would make one think that game critics would be any different?

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

so its not that...then what is it? what 'liberal agenda' is he refering to? the interests of Sony?

im pretty sure hes using words that do not really belong in the post he wrote or hes politically bias. Either way just look at it as he posted the articles to inform people and forget his own agenda. Some of the posts here show they have just as much of a agenda as the article itself implies.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I didnt realize so many people relied so strongly on the opinions of others.

Im my opinion, reviews must always be read with an understanding that they are, in fact, NOT completely unbiased consumer reports.  The author's experiences and biases will always shine through in some ways.  

That being said, I dont really read reviews to make a judgement about a game, I read/watch them for entertainment purposes.  Yhatzee, Angry Joe, Gamespot, others, fun to watch, but they like games that I dont and I like games that they dont.

Originally posted by Derros

I didnt realize so many people relied so strongly on the opinions of others.

Im my opinion, reviews must always be read with an understanding that they are, in fact, NOT completely unbiased consumer reports.  The author's experiences and biases will always shine through in some ways.  

That being said, I dont really read reviews to make a judgement about a game, I read/watch them for entertainment purposes.  Yhatzee, Angry Joe, Gamespot, others, fun to watch, but they like games that I dont and I like games that they dont.

advertising is a multi-billion dollar industry. 

yes... people often do not think for themselves.

It's definitely that...any person I talk to doesn't even realize this small fact...but the role call is very much so available online :P

It's definitely that...any person I talk to doesn't even realize this small fact...but the role call is very much so available online :P

I completely agree that sites have agenda's either explict or implict to keep the large gaming companies happy. However that is light years away from 'liberal agenda'.

If you want to see a 'liberal agenda' in gaming look at Moms concerns over violence or something like that.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by cronius77

Just to add, look at how much Destiny was marketed. When the negative reviews started coming out a lot of people were angry at how low it scored. The people complaining were probably bombarded with so many ads around Destiny that they began to believe it was a better game than it probably is. Not saying it was bad, but not saying it was great.

OP either can't seem to know what the term liberal or you are probably a misogynist. I mean I am amaze at how you manage to make such a leap and the fact that you did shows why gaming media is beginning to focus on stuff like this. It is so so sad, if my assumptions about you is true. I hope I am wrong and you just don't know, but I  guess that is far unlikely.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

The article that OP is referring to is from Breitbart.com, a VERY politically conservative site. Liberal in this case is a pejorative that they use as often as most sites use periods. OP is just rehashing crap he read on the site. According to those types everything has a "liberal agenda". Just go to the site and see.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

Originally posted by bartoni33

The article that OP is referring to is from Breitbart.com, a VERY politically conservative site. Liberal in this case is a pejorative that they use as often as most sites use periods. OP is just rehashing crap he read on the site. According to those types everything has a "liberal agenda". Just go to the site and see.

ah..I got it.

Its all the military shooters that are training the young liberals to be ready to become liberal nazi's once the call comes in..

got it

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by LeGrosGamerV2

I'll give a quick example, you're not a fan of 2D side scrollers, and you read some reviews from those big named reviewers saying that this new 2D side scroller is the next big thing since WoW, so you go out of your way and buy the side scroller, just to end up raging because the game sucks because you never liked side scrollers to begin with.  That's the reality of about every over hyped reviewed game out there, don't be naive and do your homework properly on any given game.  

Or, even likelier, it's possible that the reviewer IS a fan of 2D side scrollers, and people who are fans of the genre do enjoy the game. It doesn't make the game "over-hyped," it makes you a fool for buying a game based on a review for a genre that you "never liked," in addition to being a poor handler of your own money if you "go out of your way" to buy something that you know you probably won't enjoy.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Omali
    Originally posted by LeGrosGamerV2

I'll give a quick example, you're not a fan of 2D side scrollers, and you read some reviews from those big named reviewers saying that this new 2D side scroller is the next big thing since WoW, so you go out of your way and buy the side scroller, just to end up raging because the game sucks because you never liked side scrollers to begin with.  That's the reality of about every over hyped reviewed game out there, don't be naive and do your homework properly on any given game.  

Or, even likelier, it's possible that the reviewer IS a fan of 2D side scrollers, and people who are fans of the genre do enjoy the game. It doesn't make the game "over-hyped," it makes you a fool for buying a game based on a review for a genre that you "never liked," in addition to being a poor handler of your own money if you "go out of your way" to buy something that you know you probably won't enjoy.

Its like me and RTS and Sandbox games.  No matter how much people praise games like Starcraft and GTA or EvE, I just either cant work the actions per min neccisary for a RTS or I get bored with the openness of a sandbox (I like a tight story and/or direction).  It doesnt mean they're bad games, it makes me a fool for continuing to buy them.

yeah, Breitbart is EXTREMELY Repugnantcan....you can probably see the word "liberal" on every line of their articles.  The OP definitely misused the idea of "liberal agenda"...

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

yeah, Breitbart is EXTREMELY Repugnantcan....you can probably see the word "liberal" on every line of their articles.  The OP definitely misused the idea of "liberal agenda"...

Yeah and the strange thing is that the actual article OP is referring to does not even use the term "liberal agenda". It only talks about the Gamersgate thing (which I have not heard of TBO) as "The #GamerGate hashtag, which has swept social media in recent weeks, has been used by gamers to express their disappointment in widespread ethical failures by video game journalists, who have allowed far-Left feminist campaigners to saturate the news agenda with allegations of "misogyny" and sexism directed not just at games studios but at ordinary gamers themselves". So I don't know where OP is getting off even mentioning anything about a "liberal agenda".

EDIT: Wait, I see it now. Re-reading that quote I see "far-left" and "agenda" in it. Well there ya go.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

Yeah and the strange thing is that the actual article OP is referring to does not even use the term "liberal agenda". It only talks about the Gamersgate thing (which I have not heard of TBO) as "The #GamerGate hashtag, which has swept social media in recent weeks, has been used by gamers to express their disappointment in widespread ethical failures by video game journalists, who have allowed far-Left feminist campaigners to saturate the news agenda with allegations of "misogyny" and sexism directed not just at games studios but at ordinary gamers themselves". So I don't know where OP is getting off even mentioning anything about a "liberal agenda".

EDIT: Wait, I see it now. Re-reading that quote I see "far-left" and "agenda" in it. Well there ya go.

I stand corrected!  My bad...didnt even notice that

I stand corrected!  My bad...didnt even notice that

that was my guess.

when I first read it I thought 'ok what one thing in politics are are all game journalists organized behind.

Oh yeah...death threats.

so basically being against death threats is just a liberal agenda against free speech.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Ignoring the decidedly polarized tone, is the source information credible?  Are there groups of gaming journalists getting together to determine which stories they will publish as a group, rather than each site making the decision independently on their own?

I'm not even sure this is really an issue, but I'd really like to know if they are acting like an Illuminati group. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

I'm not even sure this is really an issue, but I'd really like to know if they are acting like an Illuminati group. :-)

I don't know...this is the first Ive ever heard of it....I think it's much less dangerous (by 100%) than other things going on in the world :P

This discussion has been closed.