Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Destiny: 5 Reasons Not to Play Destiny

Comments

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

as a level 15 player, i still find Destiny a lot of fun, 

i heard a lot of stories about the engram/loot farming on caves, but i tried not to do that since i enjoy the strike way more than just sitting and shootings at a cave,

also with the contract that Bungie and Activision had, i will never be afraid of the content of running out, 

though hopefully they would include story mission in the future, the Main story is disapointing indeed, it was the shortest and most boring story line from AAA game i've played in a recent years

So What Now?

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

No story.

Social / grouping mechanics were crap (or at least I didn't see any).

The games loot drops were weak. Everything doesn't have to be an upgrade, but something could drop at least once per level no?

I gave it a chance, got to level 8 and just ended up selling it. 

• ElandrialElandrial Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by svandy

I don't disagree with these, but honestly the biggest thing to me was this:

Playstation Plus required for strikes, raids, and PVP.

I'm not in any was opposed to sub fees, but the whole reason I purchased PS4 over Xbox One was because historically I have not needed a PS+ account to enjoy online content. Maybe that has changed with PS4, I'm honestly not too in the loop (I got mine on the cheap so wasn't overly concerned with researching) and I don't usually do multiplayer on console anyway.

The whole PS+ thing really rubbed me the wrong way. It could be because in every other zone I could see other players and group up with friends for almost anything, but as soon as I wanted to do content DESIGNED for groups I hit a pay wall. It left a really bad taste in my mouth. I probably could have swallowed it better if they just put the whole game behind that pay wall, but its almost like I got teased.

I guess thats one of the biggest reasons I prefer PC gaming. I happily subbed to ArcheAge and am conidering a sub to TOR pending the expac announcement, so I'm not against subs, but the way Destiny was locked behind PS+ was just shady. Granted I think thats from Sony's end, but still.

you have ALWAYS had to have a psn to play ANY online content.this is nothing new.the only onlijne you do dnot need a sub for are mmorpg like ffxiv or the heroes game.so you PAID a sub for aa and complain about the sub for dextiny wow.

Originally posted by Battlerock
    #6 - If you expected Halo only better, this is not the game for you, especially when it comes to multiplayer pvp. Coincidentally next month folks like me who expected Halo only better can get an enhanced version of Halo 1 through 4 exclusively on xbox1 come this November and have access to over 100 multiplayer maps on the fabulous Xbox live servers.

so you never read up on the game BEFORE you bought it,what made you thnk it was remotely like halo?there was nothing that said it was a pvp game

funny thing is they sell all kinds of games,why cause not all games suit all people.read up on game BEFORE you buy it.i for one NEVER care what some paid reviewer says about a game,why cause he is NOT me,i have no idea what games he plays whether it is a the same games i like or  not.i bought and have been very satisfied with it,for those who though for some reason it was a PVP game,learn to READ.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

All 5 are valid reason.

The loot system is sooo random its not even funny. I noticed the more i suck in pvp the better loot i get. Its like they are trying to help players that arent as good at shooting, lol.

Last night i had a great first match, 34 kills, only a hand full of deaths, a lot of assists, and my team won because i got most of the last 2k points to win. I got no rewards while the rest of my team which did very poorly got a bunch good gear and engrams. The rest of the night i sucked and rarely got any kills and i got most of the better loots.

• HaralinHaralin Member UncommonPosts: 148

I hope it will never come to PC i am a PC player normally but PC means way more cheating and abusing.

Lootsystem is better than in any other MMO (besides GW2 maybe) cause you get your gear quick if not as direct loot you obtain items which you can use to buy gear.

The point with the 4 systems is strange, then you never will play any console game.

The only point which is valid is the content,/story but like in other MMOs content/story comes with patches and  DLC

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by TweFoju

as a level 15 player, i still find Destiny a lot of fun, 

i heard a lot of stories about the engram/loot farming on caves, but i tried not to do that since i enjoy the strike way more than just sitting and shootings at a cave,

also with the contract that Bungie and Activision had, i will never be afraid of the content of running out, 

though hopefully they would include story mission in the future, the Main story is disapointing indeed, it was the shortest and most boring story line from AAA game i've played in a recent years

The Whole Cave farming is a joke. It just shows what is wrong with People, not the game!

People are just sheep! A handful of People think this is the most efficient way to get legendary gear. And the horde of sheep believe it blindly and start doing the same.

These "exact" same People are the ones that are now terrorizing the official Bungie forums, crying like little babies, because they cannot beat the RNG and bitching they don´t get legendary items quickly enough via converting engrams through the cryptarch!

I have done bounties, patrols and Public events on all 4 planets for a couple days. Reached Rank 2 with Vanguard, got over 75 Vanguard marks and bought my first legendary piece from the Vanguard Vendor. Got plenty of engram drops along the way, fully decking me out in blue weapons and gear for remainder slots and also had one converting to a legendary chest piece for my Warlock alt!

Most importantly, by just playing the game, I also gathered lots of materials and resources, including rare ones. Which you need to upgrade your legendary gear later on.

So really. I am just laughing at all those idiots standing in a single spot day in day out shooting at a stupid Cave. Wasting their time in brain killing boring grind and crying on the official forums about the RNG!

And then when they finally got their legendary pieces, they won´t be able to upgrade it, as they don´t have any the required Resources and materials.

So you see these same People now also bitching like babies, that it´s too difficult to Upgrade their gear!

Stereo typical example of the Instant Gratification crowd we have to deal with today!

I sincerly hope Bungie is going to stand their ground and not start dumbing down the game to cater to these lazy bunch! /facepalm

More importantly. I hope they not going to nerf loot drops from low Level mobs! As I like how it is today! Where you can just and play on any planet you want, regardless of Level. Help out New / Low Level players. Play alongside them and run and help out in low levle strikes!

I would hate to be forced and be confined to Mars only as Level 20+ player, if they gonna nerf it! /shrug

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Have a destiny bundle on layaway at my job, was considering paying it off soon. Might just gradually pay it off so I can hop into destiny late this year. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    For me the reasons are it has no Third Person view its a FPS and I cannot play those. Nausea and other problems. Then it is not on PC. I hear the story sucks and has little depth and most locked behind DLC. So no thanks.
    Chamber of Chains
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by cheyane
    For me the reasons are it has no Third Person view its a FPS and I cannot play those. Nausea and other problems. Then it is not on PC. I hear the story sucks and has little depth and most locked behind DLC. So no thanks.

All emotion, rage and hyperbole! Believe what you want to believe. It´s up to you.

http://www.bungie.net/7_Destiny-Events-Starting-0919/en/News/News?aid=12153

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by cheyane

Yea, say what you want about Angryjoe, hes reviews are generally spot on. Might just wait to pay off my ps4 bundle layaway when theres more story dlc later this year.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by oldschoolpunk

gervaise1, that is a terrible comparison.  Watch Dogs is single player, Destiny is not.  Look up the numbers on DCUO, FFXIV or FFXI.  I think you'll see what I mean.  If it still proves right, I concede.

DC Universe Online:

PS3 - 480k

PC - 250k

PS4 = Launched as F2P, therefore no sales data

Final Fantasy XI: Online

PS2 = 810k

X360 = 320k

PC = No data no data to compare to

Final Fantasy XIV AAR:

PC = 1.15 mil

PS3/4 = 1.04 Mil

So...that's just comparing straight up MMORPGs that were exclusive to the Playstation brand (FFXI was exclusive most of its life).

Look at multiplayer/RPG shooters for your proper comparison, not straight up MMORPGs exclusive to 1 console brand. Borderlands, Destiny, the entire CoD franchise, the last couple BF entries...All of them, every franchise, outsold PC by insane amounts. Battlefield 3 sold 14.12 million on consoles...PC?...2.6 million. Borderlands 2 sold 4.83 million on consols...PC?...730k. Defiance, the most comparable title mentioned so far, sold 780k on consoles, 150k on PC.......The last CoD entry sold 22 MILLION on consoles...PC?...590k....

Its almost laughable to even imply that PC is a large player, let alone important one, in the shooter world anymore.

DC Universe, you got me, but others you don't.  Another thing to consider is availability as well...PC has many more MMO's to choose from than any console that could inflate numbers too (but that's only a theory).

As for Battlefield and Borderlands...etc, those are games that placate to the console crowd MUCH better than the PC crowd.  The PC crowd has become almost exclusively MMO/RPG type players....and counter strike...lol.  There is no interest in Co-op games or MOBA type war games...we have lots of those and they are all FTP...we also have Planetside 2 for Battlefield enthusiasts...thus there would be no logical reason to spend 60 bucks on a game when something similar can be had for free.

Lastly, there must be a reason that developers choose to start their MMO's off on PC rather than Console...businesses dont do something to lose money, they do it to gain money.

Destiny is a shooter first and foremost. Destiny is not an MMORPG....Destiny has more in common with Halo, Borderlands, Call of Duty than it does FFXIV........the audiance for Destiny is the audiance who playes Halo and CoD etc, not DCUO or FFXIV.

With those facts spelled out, its absolutly 100% laughable to imply that Destiny would have sold well on PC in comparison to consoles. The evidance/reality is firmly in my corner on this one friend.

To somehow imply that Destiny is like WoW,  FFXIV, DCUO instead of Call of Duty/Borderlands/battlefield shows just how desperate your argument is.

Back to the article at hand. Im am sure you would agree that the following quote is absoluly laugh out loud insane, considering the numbers I posted earlier about multiplat shooters of the last 5 years?

"In fact, its where shooters (and MMOs) thrive the most""

lol...my initial argument wasn't desperate at all...you used Watch Dogs as an example....very BAD example.  I haven't played Destiny, nor do I plan to, but I can see it selling better on a console than PC if it does in fact cater to the CoD/Halo crowd.  Those two games that get NO airtime on PC and that's because there are other free options that make those games look silly.  

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

I used Watch Dogs as an example because

• recently released
    • heavily promoted like Destiny
    • UbiSoft released the breakdown for PC and (all 4) consoles; and for PC it was a mere 9-11%.
    The point was to show that, sadly, PCs are not that big a market when it comes to "big" games. 

And whilst Watch Dogs and Destiny are not the same they are "close enough" for the comparison.

That is the market share reason. However 10% of a big number is a lot of sales. c. 5M sold in the first 5 days and still selling so sales of 1M+ sales on PC must be a possibility. Which will be why Activision have hinted at a PC version.

However for Bungie I suspect it was a design decision:

Consoles have microphones by default but no keyboard; they have social connectivity and friends list - by default - through the Sony/ Microsoft networks they connect to. And I think Bungie looked at that and decided that would do.

Maybe they will adopy something like that for PC - release via Steam say? 
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Kinda glad I skipped on this one.  

1) I dont have a next gen console yet, and Im hesitant to shell out for a game with a '10 year plan' on an old console, especially since they arent cross gen

2) story, which seems to be one of the biggest complaints and was probably the biggest reason I was curious about the game.  I wanted to see what kind of story it told.  

Ill wait and re-evalute it when the pc port comes around, im more comfortable using a mouse for shooters anyway.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    1/5, not bad... not.
    Originally posted by gervaise1

I used Watch Dogs as an example because

• recently released
    • heavily promoted like Destiny
    • UbiSoft released the breakdown for PC and (all 4) consoles; and for PC it was a mere 9-11%.
    The point was to show that, sadly, PCs are not that big a market when it comes to "big" games. 

And whilst Watch Dogs and Destiny are not the same they are "close enough" for the comparison.

That is the market share reason. However 10% of a big number is a lot of sales. c. 5M sold in the first 5 days and still selling so sales of 1M+ sales on PC must be a possibility. Which will be why Activision have hinted at a PC version.

However for Bungie I suspect it was a design decision:

Consoles have microphones by default but no keyboard; they have social connectivity and friends list - by default - through the Sony/ Microsoft networks they connect to. And I think Bungie looked at that and decided that would do.

Maybe they will adopy something like that for PC - release via Steam say? 

It depends on what you would consider a "big" game.  Games like Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin, ArcheAge, Wildstar and Elder Scrolls Online are "big" games in the PC world.  Watch Dogs is an afterthought for most.  It's only logical that that game would outsell PC's by far.  

But if Destiny does play more like CoD and Borderlands, I can definitely see why Bungie went with console...it's almost a no brainer.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

gervaise1, that is a terrible comparison.  Watch Dogs is single player, Destiny is not.  Look up the numbers on DCUO, FFXIV or FFXI.  I think you'll see what I mean.  If it still proves right, I concede.

DC Universe Online:

PS3 - 480k

PC - 250k

PS4 = Launched as F2P, therefore no sales data

Final Fantasy XI: Online

PS2 = 810k

X360 = 320k

PC = No data no data to compare to

Final Fantasy XIV AAR:

PC = 1.15 mil

PS3/4 = 1.04 Mil

So...that's just comparing straight up MMORPGs that were exclusive to the Playstation brand (FFXI was exclusive most of its life).

Look at multiplayer/RPG shooters for your proper comparison, not straight up MMORPGs exclusive to 1 console brand. Borderlands, Destiny, the entire CoD franchise, the last couple BF entries...All of them, every franchise, outsold PC by insane amounts. Battlefield 3 sold 14.12 million on consoles...PC?...2.6 million. Borderlands 2 sold 4.83 million on consols...PC?...730k. Defiance, the most comparable title mentioned so far, sold 780k on consoles, 150k on PC.......The last CoD entry sold 22 MILLION on consoles...PC?...590k....

Its almost laughable to even imply that PC is a large player, let alone important one, in the shooter world anymore.

DC Universe, you got me, but others you don't.  Another thing to consider is availability as well...PC has many more MMO's to choose from than any console that could inflate numbers too (but that's only a theory).

As for Battlefield and Borderlands...etc, those are games that placate to the console crowd MUCH better than the PC crowd.  The PC crowd has become almost exclusively MMO/RPG type players....and counter strike...lol.  There is no interest in Co-op games or MOBA type war games...we have lots of those and they are all FTP...we also have Planetside 2 for Battlefield enthusiasts...thus there would be no logical reason to spend 60 bucks on a game when something similar can be had for free.

Lastly, there must be a reason that developers choose to start their MMO's off on PC rather than Console...businesses dont do something to lose money, they do it to gain money.

Destiny is a shooter first and foremost. Destiny is not an MMORPG....Destiny has more in common with Halo, Borderlands, Call of Duty than it does FFXIV........the audiance for Destiny is the audiance who playes Halo and CoD etc, not DCUO or FFXIV.

With those facts spelled out, its absolutly 100% laughable to imply that Destiny would have sold well on PC in comparison to consoles. The evidance/reality is firmly in my corner on this one friend.

To somehow imply that Destiny is like WoW,  FFXIV, DCUO instead of Call of Duty/Borderlands/battlefield shows just how desperate your argument is.

Back to the article at hand. Im am sure you would agree that the following quote is absoluly laugh out loud insane, considering the numbers I posted earlier about multiplat shooters of the last 5 years?

"In fact, its where shooters (and MMOs) thrive the most""

lol...my initial argument wasn't desperate at all...you used Watch Dogs as an example....very BAD example.  I haven't played Destiny, nor do I plan to, but I can see it selling better on a console than PC if it does in fact cater to the CoD/Halo crowd.  Those two games that get NO airtime on PC and that's because there are other free options that make those games look silly.  

I haven't mentioned Watch Dogs once....

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

All valid reasons except the last one.

Nobody complains when Mario or Zelda are not playable on PC, so why complains about Destiny or any other console exclusive?

No PC also means no hackers, botters, and aimbots, which actually means much more to me than lack of typing in-game chat as a trade off.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I agree with the OP I am a PC player and will not buy a platform just to play 1 game.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• JeminaiJeminai Member UncommonPosts: 151
    PC gamer here.
    Destiny sounds a lot like defiance in that it provides a quick fix for carnage. this can be very entertaining but none of it measures up to the title of MMO.

destiny being console only and Defiance being both PC and console I would be very curious to see a sandbox MMO (3rd person) shooter exclusively on PC. perhaps this concept could then reach it "potential".
    fine visuals is one thing but it still seems to come at the expense of content.
    I don't own a console but have they really reached up to spec with PC gaming?
    are the latest generation of consoles being used to their capabilities? are PC games becoming more like console games due to the attempts at "cross-over?" or visa-versa do MMOs even appeal to console players?

I'd say the most true to form PC/console MMO's are the Final Fantasy games.  Everything else that was meant to be cross platform doesn't feel like an MMORPG to me...just online action games.

I was talkin bout gervaise1...not you

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

well, obviously they didn't release for PC;

you can release a game in that state for consoles, but do it on PC, and you get nothing but loss.

those consolieros have been desperate enough for a "mmo" to buy just anything

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

I was talkin bout gervaise1...not you

Then why did you quote me with your accusation.