Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TW have delivered the worst launch in MMORPG History.

12346»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Well, again, This is a different topic, but OK, I'll go there with you. 

Yes, I agree to a point. However, both sides have to participate in "mature" behavior. Although for TW, I wouldn't say they are acting immature, but they need to have systems to accommodate players better.

I was half joking (But ONLY half) in another thread when I said Trion needs to learn from public parks and rec depts.

/whistle blow........."Everyone out of the pool"

Adult Swim - No kids/patrons only

Free Swim - Everyone in

And several times a day, all players online have to log off for "server maintenance" but all it does is move the queues along.

That sucks but it's fair.

Well, it's sort of the same topic. I just meant that people are just going to have to wait in Trion's line.

I bring up the launcher, see "about" how long I have, and then do other things. Constantly checking on my progress in the queue. Though deadlyne above has it right. Go out bowling and come back when it's bettah!

But I absolutely agree with you that maybe they should mix up the queues a bit, all off and those who were waiting longer get priority while those who have hours in the game can queue up.

And THEN watch the forums! image

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BillSussmanBillSussman Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by BillSussman

The limitations was their own fault. The entire mistake of giving free patron status out to F2P players ruined the queue times for paying members. When they took it away from the F2P players, guess who suddenly bought founders and kept the queues at 4500 people. They knew very well how many patrons were ready before headstart started. Yet the servers couldnt even handle their patron members. How was the limitations going to get any better after the game launched? 

Well, that was probably a business move.

I'm on the fence regarding your point because on one hand companies want to entice customers to pay for "1 better". All companies do this.

On the other hand they should have known that there was going to be a greater influx of players who decided to "get one better".

But what do they do? I mean, if they just keep throwing servers at the problem then in a month some of those servers are going to be ghost towns.

Then what? Take away plots that players devoted time to get and developed.

I see all of this as "damned if they do, damned if they don't".

Thats why I dont think its a good idea to start more servers. Add player slots to servers. Bring the queues down somewhat. 1000 was alright cause that was like 40 mins tops for me. But when it launched it it went to 4500 people and im spending more then half a day in queue, thats just not acceptable. Then it brings the problem of land up, but seriously, make some friends and share land in your guilds or something until they figure something out to fix that. My only issue now is the queue times and Its forcing me to quit. Among other reasons of course.

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975

I've been around for and participated in most mmo launches since EQ. And while the launch of AA isn't the worst, particularly from a technical standpoint, it is definitely up there and high on the list for level of player frustration. Especially when you consider having paid for a game, via the founder's pack, and not getting what you paid for. Combine that with absolutely insane queue times, and you have a recipe for dissent.

They have such a problem with queues that waits are exceeding 3,000 players and taking multiple hours. That is simply unacceptable, even for a new mmo launch. You're wasting the time and money of your players, and it puts a really bad taste in your mouth about the whole experience. Combine that with the rampant AFK user problem, and many players are going to simply stop coming back to the game. No one wants to be in a game where over half the players are sitting around AFK, and where they're waiting 2-3 hours just to get in and play.

So while I'd concede this isn't the worst launch ever (at least the servers are up), it is one of the most frustrating and botched of recent memory.

• Drunk-fuDrunk-fu Member UncommonPosts: 133

At long last, a thread tha points out the faults, instead of  cursing and generally crying.

But i have a question.

Since you stated you work in it, and that your company's system is nearly untouchable.

How come they can bring down military, government, gaming and other various sites/services?

Are you implying all the above mentioned has incompetent staff?

Sure it does not change the fact they weren't handling the situation well.

Im seriously interested, without sarcasm, and by no means i try to offend.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

Keep in mind no other game of this hype level has launched F2P that I know of. There is going to be queues, they added more servers, only for those servers to now also be queued with thousands of flaky players most just testing the game. Either people keep queueing and they add more servers little by little or they quit and the population levels out.

Personally I hope free character transfers are implemented for those without land to jump ship to new servers.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

This game had leaps and bounds better launch than Anarchy Online.

Honestly, once you experienced AO launch, no launch ever since have felt awful.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by grimal

I have that same problem. I have two large grocery stores where I live.  One is always understaffed with long lines, the other very staffed with many short (if any) lines.  Guess which one gets more customers?  Guess which one looks like it might be closing down?

But again, Trion can only staff (more servers) "so much" before they bite themselves in the butt.

So sure, the supermarket that is well staffed is going to be the "no brainer" choice.

But if in a  month patrons stop going then all that super market will do is lay people off (which sucks of course) and they can still balance their budget for labor.

But if Trion throws more servers at the problem then as I mentioned, they will be ghost towns.

If they increase the populations on those servers then that is going to make a horrible experience for all involved. 

They've really pushed themselves in the corner on this one; no doubt about it.  I am just not very optimistic that people will stick around for this one.  Gamers tend to be a very unforgiving lot.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Anarchy Online coding was so bad, there are still day 1 bugs in the game....or at least  there were when I last played a few years ago. I do belive AO still holds the worst launch record. Since I don't believe any other MMO actually had to do a post-live wipe. (My history may be incorrect here)

Still, using AO, or Vanguard or any other MMO you thought had a worse launch as a defense is still pretty bad. If you want to argue with the OP and give 2 examples of games that had worse launches than AA, then in essence what you are saying is that AA is the 3rd worst launch in the history of MMORPGs.

It's not really a worthy defense strategy if you ask me.

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515

Saying any mmo is the best mmo is highly subjective.moving on I agree with what many have said,there is a lot of things that trion just isn't handling well.It's more of the same crap that i see more and more in the industry as well as all over with companies and people in our personal lives. Quick to take your money but slow to offer quality support. Which just further continues to convince me on how i feel about F2P games as a whole.

This isn't your WoW clone here head start is pretty damn important ,founders who can't login and customer support who blows off your needs is unacceptable for ANY company.trion can enjoy my 100 bucks and consider it a donation they don't exist to me anymore.I have no problem at all spending some coin now to find out what kinda company i'm dealing with to save money later and avoid them no matter what they offer.

It says a lot when one of their competitors SOE will refund founders packs no questions asked because they stand by their product and service. that right there is REAL customer service!

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Anarchy Online coding was so bad, there are still day 1 bugs in the game....or at least  there were when I last played a few years ago. I do belive AO still holds the worst launch record. Since I don't believe any other MMO actually had to do a post-live wipe. (My history may be incorrect here)

Still, using AO, or Vanguard or any other MMO you thought had a worse launch as a defense is still pretty bad. If you want to argue with the OP and give 2 examples of games that had worse launches than AA, then in essence what you are saying is that AA is the 3rd worst launch in the history of MMORPGs.

It's not really a worthy defense strategy if you ask me.

I agree.  And we all know what happened to Vanguard.

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250

OP - I get your point. Trolls will always be Trolls, and will bait and argue anything.

IMO - the launch is a very bad launch and up there with AAO and Dark and Light etc...

Queue times are longer than I would like and obviously TRION was not prepared for the number of people that would want to play. I can see the good in that, however - at least there are a lot of people interested in this game!

The screw up of Founder's items and Patron status still missing puts the launch up to the top of worst launches.

The lack of vision that allowed for individual characters to exploit the auction houses and claim 10 -30 - 50 houses on day one of head start puts this launch up at the top of worst launches.

The crash and subsequent inability for players to log in for hours/days and were unable to claim land while those that were still in game claimed the little land that was left puts this launch up at the top of worst launches.

The exploit that enabled players to stay logged in at the character creation screen to regain their 5000 labor cap while many Founders had no Patron status and had ZERO ability to regen labor puts this up at the top of worst launches.

The screw up of FTP players receiving the Founders perks and exploiting the heck out of that while true Founders were still without puts this launch up at the top of worst launches.

Opening the flood gates and allowing the FTP players to the game when all of the above has not  been fixed created not only INSANE queues of 12 hours and more at times has created a lot of animosity towards the FTP player in game and they are being targeted by some Founders players in threatening hateful manners (Bullying, KoS etc..). Puts this game up at top for worst launch.

When I have been able to get in game, it is one of the best games I have played in a very long time. That does not mean this has not been a bad launch, and just because we are all not experiencing the same issues does not mean it is not happening. The OP's opinion is valid. End of story.

• stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185

I'm having tons of fun. I didn't pay 150 bucks, I paid nothing, and it is great. I am usually queued up in the morning (or wake up just after server restart to get instant login) so had no playing issues except the random afk kick once in a while. Might as well do something else after that cause queues are 3k+ but like I said usually resolved in the morning.

The servers only lagged like the first day. Then they patched something and never had a problem since. I'm very impressed with how this launch went. The game itself is great too.

• SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118

My experience with AA so far

1) Looked at the 150$ paid alpha and thought that was ridiculous. Didn't buy.

2) 100/50$ for paid beta was also too much. Didn't buy.

3) A few days before headstart, I admit I was VERY tempted... I almost got myself a silver founder pack. Then I did some math...  the pack (49.99$) included 20$ worth of credit + a sub for 1 month (15$)  which means the 4 days headstart cost 15$! NOPE!

4) Tried the game on release, insane queues...

Now, heres what I did differently, instead of sitting in queue for 5 hours like a no-lifer : I closed the game and did something else. Woahh.

5) Came back on Friday, subbed, rolled on one of the new servers.

I got nearly instant queues (less than 5 minutes friday, saturday, and this sunday morning.) I am very happy with AA so far. Very good game. And a great release experience!

Tldr : stop throwing money at unreleased games and headstart if you dont want to be burned. Also, people having insane patron queues (kyrios comes to mind) should reroll somewhere else if they dont want to wait. Trion DID release new servers, its your fault if you dont want to reroll.  The newer servers have very little patron queues.

• PrisonerxPrisonerx Member Posts: 1

I've played many mmorpg's and remember some bad launches. I remember Aion's launch, my character would be like on a rubber band and jump back often to variant distances. Disconnects and queues were also common. LOTRO, TERA and SWTOR(sp) were also a pain. FFXIV was like crazy bad. In fact they shut the came down for over a year to redo and relaunch. I wasn't a headstart on this game, I wanted to give the game a headstart. I joined a new server right off and my queue times have been none or <5 minutes. The gameplay so far is excellent, the art, graphics, flawless character movement, and user friendly interface. It may be too easy, the big "?", "Arrows", and "!" maybe should only be in a starting or tutorial mode say to level 5. Yet it may be a better experience for new mmorpg players. I'm sure they will straighten it out in time. I stuck with Aion for a long time and about every issue was resolved, but the ganking issue was never resolved. So if you weren't in a large group you died almost instantly when you left your home base. It was always PVP. Really a beautiful game and concept though.

So be patient, go away for a week, or month if it's that irritating. Or transfer to a less populated server. At least give them a month to adapt before you give up or quit. Did they have an open Beta? If not that was a big mistake. Peace.

Originally posted by Prisonerx

I've played many mmorpg's and remember some bad launches. I remember Aion's launch, my character would be like on a rubber band and jump back often to variant distances. Disconnects and queues were also common. LOTRO, TERA and SWTOR(sp) were also a pain. FFXIV was like crazy bad. In fact they shut the came down for over a year to redo and relaunch. I wasn't a headstart on this game, I wanted to give the game a headstart. I joined a new server right off and my queue times have been none or <5 minutes. The gameplay so far is excellent, the art, graphics, flawless character movement, and user friendly interface. It may be too easy, the big "?", "Arrows", and "!" maybe should only be in a starting or tutorial mode say to level 5. Yet it may be a better experience for new mmorpg players. I'm sure they will straighten it out in time. I stuck with Aion for a long time and about every issue was resolved, but the ganking issue was never resolved. So if you weren't in a large group you died almost instantly when you left your home base. It was always PVP. Really a beautiful game and concept though.

So be patient, go away for a week, or month if it's that irritating. Or transfer to a less populated server. At least give them a month to adapt before you give up or quit. Did they have an open Beta? If not that was a big mistake. Peace.

Yes but it was really short.  Also, I personally reported a launch bug during CBT3 & 4 (in addition to PMing Scapes) but it seems it is not a priority at this point.

I think this may take a few months of sorting out.....just my opinion.

• EnikEnik Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I concur that this is the worst MMO launch ever. There may have been worse that some have experienced, but definitely not me. And I've been part of many MMO launches. The fact that it's been a over a week and I still can't log in without spending an hour+ in a queue (and I'm a Founder) is just so far out of the realm of acceptability for a paying customer.
  • gw1228gw1228 Member UncommonPosts: 127

I wish I would of read this thread when I first bought my Patron sub...glad it's over on OCT 28th this horrible nightmare...

giving this Mighty BUMP to help out others.....

This discussion has been closed.