Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Same awkward character stance since EQ2

ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Member UncommonPosts: 2,225

For some reason, the Sony Art Department went with this angled character stance, where a character sticks out his chest and appears to be facing slightly off to the right, instead of forward.  While your character may be facing forward, it appears they are looking off at 2 o'clock or something.

Am i the only person bugged by that?

Comments

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Maybe....

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

For some reason, the Sony Art Department went with this angled character stance, where a character sticks out his chest and appears to be facing slightly off to the right, instead of forward.  While your character may be facing forward, it appears they are looking off at 2 o'clock or something.

Am i the only person bugged by that?

I think you are...or at least in the very small minority. I would say you might have too many issues with MMOs to actually like anything if this bothers you.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,094
    I'm assuming it has to do with some sort of visual perspective or is supposed to draw attention to more of the character's profile. Like when taking photos, you look different if you stand straight like a stick compared to slightly turned or with your chin out a bit. Also appears to be more over the shoulder and not bird's eye view as well. Doesn't bother me at all.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    It may be from an animation standpoint as far as starts and stops. I notice it in all MMOs that come to mind but is very pronounced in Landmark/EQN. It also gives a more active feeling if your character is in a fight stance rather than on their heels.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Its the heroic idle animation.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Member UncommonPosts: 2,225

Please understand, my issue with the stance has less to do with it being heroic or ready for action, than the character appearing to be facing off to the right a little bit.

I would guess, in saving costs, they used "polymorphism", the I.T. term for re-using code, and took this straight from EQ2, with little modification.  Just the stances, I'm talking about.

Whether a character is standing straight or poised for action, facing forward ought to look like ... facing forward.

• BlaedusBlaedus Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by Nitth

Was I really the only one to "get" this joke?
  • ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Member UncommonPosts: 2,225
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Ex.  The 30 level linear Archeage thing.  Pointed that out quite some time ago.  Was booed down, but look at the forums now.

Same with the quest-hub rehash in Wildstar.

Or in early years, when folks were clamoring for PVP, then moaing and groaning about getting ganked when they got their PVP game.

[mod edit]

• Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Originally posted by Blaedus
    Originally posted by Nitth

Was I really the only one to "get" this joke?

They get this look when they need to go have a heroic movement.