Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I make a living just griefing other people?

124»

Comments

• jacker1991jacker1991 Member UncommonPosts: 191
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    Hmm, ArchAge sounds like an open world PvP game, where players are very competitive and you can gain a clear advantage by spending more money in the cash shop.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Just piping in to give my personal example of how RL does not have to be related to how someone plays a game.

It's against my nature in RL to harm another creature.  The only exception is to defend myself or someone else, which I have absolutely no problem doing.  It doesn't even have to be someone I "know" or "love".  A victim of unwarranted harm, physical or otherwise, is still a victim and it's in my nature to help those that are unable to help themselves.

That said, although I am much like my RL self in most games, there are some games where I play it completely different when it's based on different rules or supports a "pirate" type of gameplay.

I'm not invested in AA at all myself, on any level.  I won't enable a system where even subscribers are limited by "labor points" (regardless of whether or not you can actually run out or not as a subscriber).  The reason is simple - this sets a dark and horrible precedent for future games.  If this tremendous amount of people support this type of system, others will most certainly take advantage of it in the future.  The other thing I dislike about the system is there will be a huge number of F2P people keeping the game client up when they aren't playing just to passively build LP.  Why? because this is going to skew the numbers of programs like Raptr and xFire.  While I understand that most people discount those numbers anyway, it's still going to have an impact.

So, my response is at a general level.  It's not related to AA specifically.  My personal example is EVE.  That's another game that supports and encourages the pirate/fiend play-style.  I have to say that I started out playing that game as a "good person" and learned quickly that without an army behind you, you'll eventually get 'griefed'.  I made my first friend in that game when I was exploring and killed horribly because I didn't understand the finer points of fitting a ship.  I eventually joined their Corp and made even more friends.  I borrowed ships and then returned them when I could afford one of my own, I borrowed ISK and returned it when I was able.  Then eventually I robbed those very nice people blind and became a pirate. 

Behavior like that in RL is absolutely against my nature.  I, however, can easily separate reality from a game like EVE.  I still felt bad from time to time, but I did not let that dissuade me from my chosen path as a player of the game.

For those that enjoy data, I'm a 39 year old Male that's been playing MMORPGs since early 2000.  I've been gaming since Intellivision, Vic20 / C64 / C128(what a piece of trash) and finally PCs.  I owned the first Nintendo, I owned the first Gameboy.  I've been an avid gamer since I was 6 years old.  I was writing my own adventure games by the time I was 8.  There ya go.

At any rate, while I may disagree with the presentation, I don't question the OP's RL nature because of his gaming preferences automatically.  I will say that his general attitude in forum conversations could change my mind.

My 2c.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Lol i like the OP. At least he's honest about what he want's to do in this game. Not many have the guts to admit it.  And many pvper's think just like him. The game is open world pvp. Any carebears playing this game should know this by now. So they shouldn't complain that player's like the OP are ganking them. I'm an mmo carebear and won't be playing this game. But pvper's are starting to see more game's build around what they like. So i say good for them and hope they have a blast.

Actually it isnt. And as for the PvP THAT is and the PvPers are more 'carebear' than the PvE crowd.

I played Beta for months once they made changes I never saw a spot where I could get attacked ever. The only time you see one is when you go do the big scarecrow quest, other than that you dont ever have to see a zone where you can be attacked.

With a one way flagging system and the inability to fight back if a group member is attacked makes the majoity of the PvP in this game a joke. Then you have the same faction griefers and ass hats and its no secret why there isnt a lot going on with the PvP.

Its mostly zerg guilds all trying to get alone on some server and dominating others with little to no competition. 

As for the OP hewont be alone being a guy griefing others, problem is it will mostly all be griefers standing around with each other waiting for someone who doesnt know any better to come along.

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Acidon
    Behavior like that in RL is absolutely against my nature.  I, however, can easily separate reality from a game like EVE.  I still felt bad from time to time, but I did not let that dissuade me from my chosen path as a player of the game.

Steals real money from real people.  Claims to be against such things in Real Life.

You don't have a case where you can separate RL from IC; you have a case where you realize RL consequences don't apply, so you can do what you'd prefer to do IRL if only society wouldn't shun you for it.  It's your 'right', I suppose, but let's not be in denial over what it really is.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by gessekai332
    I dont want to craft, mine, farm, buy a house or whatever lame stuff. I just want to attack people, loot the weapons/money from bodies and move on. I dont even wanna duel or anything maybe just hide somewhere where people are trying to hand in quests then kill them easy peasy. Is it possible to level or progress in the game this way? Is it easier if I join a group specifically for this purpose? Later on I want to be able to be really strong so that people that try to get revenge on me cant even do it if they bring several of their friends to fight me. Thanks in advance. 

if the game was a real sandbox then this wouldnt be necessary because there would not be quests. Since AA is more themepark than it is sandbox, i expect Trion/XL to turn the themepark side of the game into safe sanctuaries (quest hubs). You want to do all the killing and looting you said on your post? go to the sandbox area of the game to do it. You want to ruin the experience of quest driven players, lets see how you would react when they ruin your killing streak with safe zones

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Like some have said. I call BS on this whole thread.

If one has to ask if they can do anything in a game, whatever that is. Then they haven't researched anything about said game and making a thread like this is simply to get a desired reaction out of people.

Originally posted by Lissyl

Steals real money from real people.  Claims to be against such things in Real Life.

You don't have a case where you can separate RL from IC; you have a case where you realize RL consequences don't apply, so you can do what you'd prefer to do IRL if only society wouldn't shun you for it.  It's your 'right', I suppose, but let's not be in denial over what it really is.

Alrighty Mr. Armchair Psychologist.  You don't know me, my life, my circumstances or anything.  But hey!  You go ahead and believe what you like.  I learned a long time ago it's futile to try and prove yourself against someone such as yourself.  Everything I said was 100% brutally honest.  My RL actions have nothing to do with consequences.  People that live like that, only doing right because they are afraid of the consequences of being true to their nature, are in many cases just a time-bomb.

But you go on believing you know people over the internet from your chair.  Because life is black and white and belong in either category X or Y, right?  You betcha.  image

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Oh my god, what have you guys done? Five pages of making off topic posts? You do realise that this thread was ultimately about potatoes? The OP clearly wants to steal from those carebears what they value the most. And Care Bears sure as hell value their potatoes. Yam my potatoes. Btw OP you can not only steal potatoes from their dead carebear corpses but you can also pillage their potato farms. Loot their potato farms and they will consider mass suicide - carebear style.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I meant to say commit suicide, no edit button on mobile website.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Lissyl

Alrighty Mr. Armchair Psychologist.  You don't know me, my life, my circumstances or anything.  But hey!  You go ahead and believe what you like.  I learned a long time ago it's futile to try and prove yourself against someone such as yourself.  Everything I said was 100% brutally honest.  My RL actions have nothing to do with consequences.  People that live like that, only doing right because they are afraid of the consequences of being true to their nature, are in many cases just a time-bomb.

But you go on believing you know people over the internet from your chair.  Because life is black and white and belong in either category X or Y, right?  You betcha.  image

Actually, what you did to the people who went out of their way to help you in EvE tells us more than what we need to know about you. What's important is what you do when in a situation when you aren't forced to be nice anymore. And the true side of people appears on the Internet, including games, where there's little consequences for being an total ass. Those who still manage to remain nice are true nice people.

PS: I don't claim to be a nice person. I actually am not. But at least I accept it. 99% just deny it. And while being an ass to some trolls here on the forums, I'd never have done what the person I answer to did to people who trusted him and helped him.

/sigh

The only game I've ever done anything remotely like that was in EVE.  I didn't tell the long version of the story of how many times I was scammed or griefed as a naive new player.  I know none of that matters to anyone who has never put a good amount of time into that game.  I know it doesn't matter to those that judge others based on small bits of information offered on internet forums.  Like I alluded to, I am probably the nicest person you've ever met in all other games.

But, like I said, it's futile to argue with those that judge people or are set in their beliefs.  I understand and don't fault you. 

I knew it was stupid to try and debate this, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    If we want to compare to reality in some way. Usually serial killers don't go forever without getting caught. Especially ones that just run around killing people at random in the open.

Good pirates never worked alone, and they certainly didn't just kill everyone they saw without question.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Seems like Trion can, so I bet you'll be able to, as well! Hope this helps!
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

....on the 11 page troll thread

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Fondel
    Originally posted by Xirik
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

wow.

How old are you OP. I would like a demographic breakdown of players like the OP.

What do they all have in common?

This collection of info can be useful to future PvP MMO developers. just saying.

Alfred said it the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNt0anp7WK8

Ges doesn't have big plans, he's like a dog chasing a car, He wouldn't know what to do if he caught it. His enjoyment is destroying other peoples perfect plans.

thats just plain wrong. i do have big plans. i want to be in one of the most feared pirate clans in the world, pillage and loot all the carebears growing their potatoes, then post the videos of them whining on youtube while remixing the sound to dubstep. 

People like u are the reason why PVP MMOs are just so much more fun. Keep up the good work :)

people like you are the reason i hate PVP.  You give the community a bad name.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Katilla
    Originally posted by Fondel
    Originally posted by Xirik
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

wow.

How old are you OP. I would like a demographic breakdown of players like the OP.

What do they all have in common?

This collection of info can be useful to future PvP MMO developers. just saying.

Alfred said it the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNt0anp7WK8

Ges doesn't have big plans, he's like a dog chasing a car, He wouldn't know what to do if he caught it. His enjoyment is destroying other peoples perfect plans.

thats just plain wrong. i do have big plans. i want to be in one of the most feared pirate clans in the world, pillage and loot all the carebears growing their potatoes, then post the videos of them whining on youtube while remixing the sound to dubstep. 

People like u are the reason why PVP MMOs are just so much more fun. Keep up the good work :)

people like you are the reason i hate PVP.  You give the community a bad name.

PVP is only a curse word to carebears... and care cousins...

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359

I find it odd that while people state they can separate RL from a game. And in RL are nice but in game are totally fine being sadistic and sociopathic. But hey do while insulting people with derogatory terms such as 'carebear', 'baby tears' and the like.  

To me that just tells me that they THINK they are nice people but really are not deep down.

This discussion has been closed.