Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] ArcheAge: Review in Progress

Comments

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I like the game, don't get my wrong, but it's how things are implemented that are wrong.  The cash shop gives a huge advantage over f2p (and I mean huge, the math's been done, it's 9x huge).  Then there's the whole housing thing.  And patron just doesn't seem worth it, when you can go and buy more LP than a patron gets (alot more) from the store. Then just use a guild's farm and stuff to craft.  Right now there isn't a drop of land available to anyone to plop down a house or even a farm, because people made 4 characters and gobbled up all the landmass only to spam chat to sell it for outrageous amounts.  It was just very poorly implemented like most things in this game.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    This is the first MMO in over a decade that I haven't had an urge to try. At least Wildstar I tried despite its horribly boring PVE game and its been there done that feeling, but this game seems like a mess. 

There Is Always Hope!

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Comes down to it, people want a theme park arche age? or a sandbox arche age? Most theme park mmo give you what you want, and have a set path for, sandbox is a mess you don't get what you want you may have to fight for it or even farm to death to get to a point to be on top. If few people can name a sandbox mmo thats it out now they give you a fair = time then other players, I like to be wrong.
  • UgUgUgUgUgUg Member UncommonPosts: 81
    I did have an interest in this game but I was unsure for many reasons so I decided to wait until it was fully opened to try it. However I was concerned about the land rush and the cash shop and I was right about all land being taken fast. Between all the bugs, the land being gone, the pvp probably being a gankfest as usual, little pve questing or dungeons and a cash shop that may take my money for items that are of little benefit or i may lose to ganking then no, Im not interested anymore in Archeage.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    I like the game, don't get my wrong, but it's how things are implemented that are wrong.  The cash shop gives a huge advantage over f2p (and I mean huge, the math's been done, it's 9x huge).  Then there's the whole housing thing.  And patron just doesn't seem worth it, when you can go and buy more LP than a patron gets (alot more) from the store. Then just use a guild's farm and stuff to craft.  Right now there isn't a drop of land available to anyone to plop down a house or even a farm, because people made 4 characters and gobbled up all the landmass only to spam chat to sell it for outrageous amounts.  It was just very poorly implemented like most things in this game.

Patch 2.1... earthquakes, floods, and fires are introduced into the game.  Lands are subject to spontaneous destruction based on the new environment AI.  Also available is land owners insurance (cash shop), for a small fee you can insure your land against natural disasters.  Premium must be maintained or insurance coverage will lapse.

Patch 2.2... Pillaging is opened up to the entire world.  Enemy factions or Pirates can now freely pillage or destroy player created structures or farms.  New to patch 2.2 is the new Neighborhood Watch system.  Players can hire NPCs to guard their property while they are away or offline.  These can be hired through the cash shop for a nominal fee.

• PsiOpsPsiOps Member Posts: 2
    This game looked great the first time I saw it, but I lose more and more interest the more I hear about it.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by PsiOps
    This game looked great the first time I saw it, but I lose more and more interest the more I hear about it.

+1

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Have to agree. More I hear about the game the less I get excited. 
  • Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    I think what Trion is doing is very smart. By creating a "demand" for land they created a sense of urgency to spend money to buy a Founder's Pack to get in during Headstart and secure your piece of land. Hell, it worked on me...and a month ago I wasn't even that interested in the game. It just so happened that Wildstar's server pops dropped to ghost-town-like just in time. I played AA CB4 and was hooked...as well as swept up in the Great Land Grab of 2014. 
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by discord235
    I think what Trion is doing is very smart. By creating a "demand" for land they created a sense of urgency to spend money to buy a Founder's Pack to get in during Headstart and secure your piece of land. Hell, it worked on me...and a month ago I wasn't even that interested in the game. It just so happened that Wildstar's server pops dropped to ghost-town-like just in time. I played AA CB4 and was hooked...as well as swept up in the Great Land Grab of 2014. 

yes, very smart...alienate those that didn't spend extra to enjoy a game that should be enjoyable regardless. Great marketing logic.

There Is Always Hope!

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371

What makes them shady was knowing exactly how many founders packs they sold without having enough land for all that bought it. And since we know no one bought founders packs for the low level glider or title, that leaves the selling point being the limited land available. They sold exclusivity all the while knowing a lot of the people that bought the founders pack weren't going to get what they paid for. Shady.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

I figured out what I find so disappointing about some of these anti-AA posts.  Most of them are written by posters with these self-defeatist perceptions.  There is nothing that irks me more than people who give up and complain about how they failed because the man is against them.  Dammit pull you britches up and fight to get yours.  Stop making excuses for your inability to succeed and overcome obstacles.  The mark of a successful man is not how he performs when things are going great, it is how he performs in the face of adversity.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Took Trion decades to "westernize" the game and still NPCs talk korean....that's pretty weak.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    I got a house today... on the opposite continent, in level 5 danger zone. Yeah, I'll be moving that to a safe area one day.  ;)

I managed to get a small house and small farm setup on Salphira server Nuian continent within the first hour or two. I didn't expand until day three of the headstart which left me with a contested zone for additional property. So, as of right now, I have 2 small homes, 2 small farms, 1 thatcheted farm home and 1 large farm. So while people were complaining about no land available in safe zones, I waltzed into a contested zone and quietly claimed a nice little secluded area as my own. Why do I own 6 plots of land? The first 2 are being used by my guild and the last 4 are being used for personal use.

and this is why all alnd is full, and no one build anything, serious the home should be in flames if not build in a day or 2 that would fix the problem

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

If Trion/XLGames didnt knew about land rush and the abuse of some players/guilds to take the max plots that was possible and place then in a way to ocupy the most land, creating alot of empty spaces where others cant put it anything, i dont know what to say. I saw alot of post in offical forums talking about that befor launch.

If Trion/XLGames knew it, well, i dont know what to say either. Dont make sense, even for their pockets.

It was discuss some times, take plots should be progressive as the game launches, like alot here allready mentioned. 1 house/farm per account in 1st week, 1 house/farm per char in second week and then full open in 3th week could make the inicial land rush for all patrons more fair, alot couldnt enter game and participate on inicial rush.

Other think, for now taxes should be only for 3 days, dont pay land available. The way its set up, we need 15days for all that plots taken but ppl quit for some reason to be free.

I know owning land is a competitive feature in AA, but the inicial rush should be more balance for at least the founders imo. I will be a patron but im not a founder, i wanted to see 1st how things going in launch.

Love this game, i will be there, but for me this launch was wrong. 

Note: Talking about EU side based in what my friends have be told me, seems in US things was/are a little better.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    can't wait to try it in a couple weeks when the dust settles.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

This game will end up like Eve. Goon Squad, I think, was one of them that came in and scarfed  up as much land as possible. The land in the safe areas is gone, there will be no way to get the land, unless someone wants to sell and that will take a lot of gold - so gold sellers win here. In contested areas, you will have to RAID it and this is a full loot PvP - so ganking to get items will be the norm not the exception.

I played in the BETA and found this combat so mediocre as to be bored to tears. The quests were just horrible. The world was pretty but the NPC's and Mobs didn't move that much if at all. So much for a living world.... 

Yes, this game is out in Korea and is in a slow fade to nothingness. It will do the same here.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Basically you can sum up this game in two words, "Money Grab".  Unless you have lots of money to throw into this game don't expect much of it.

Housing will be for those that have money to burn.  You can bet it will be exactly like UO, people are sitting on plots and selling them on user websites.

You really have to wonder why developers keep making the same mistake over and over again.

Hopfuly they will learn from this game what not to do in the future.

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

This is a tricky one...

This is the first MMO to really got me engaged since TBC WoW.  I actually find myself with too much to do which is actually a breath of fresh air in an overly simplified gaming age.  The game is pretty, the quest storyline is decent, the character builds are awesome, combat is your basic tab targeting but still feels fast paced and fun.  Overall, I really enjoy the game.

Now on to the negative.  The land grab was just insane at launch which means that finding a decent farm/house in a safe zone is almost impossible.  Although, this sucks I do imagine that there are still plenty of cool spots out there once you get to later levels and do some exploration. 

The major issue is the queues.  I log into play and there is 1 hour + queues most of the time.  If you DC, back into the queue (although they are working on fixing this by leaving a DC connection open for 10 mins).  I know that most games at launch have some queue times and I wouldn't really mind a 10 or 15 minute queue but 60 + minutes is just crazy and I imagine that this will only get worse come tomorrow when F2P launches.

All and all the game itself is really good but the implementation by XL and Trion has been terrible.  My fear is that the F2P people will experience the queues (theirs will be even longer since P2P people have priority) and not actually give the game a chance. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

The only demand Trion is creating at this point is for refunds

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    I am mostly staying away from AA because its totally pay2win, with the labour pots being in there on a 4 hour cooldown (was supposed to be 12 or 24 hour). People with too much cash irl can throw it at the game and get way ahead, and in a game like this, you won't catch up.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Basically you can sum up this game in two words, "Money Grab".  Unless you have lots of money to throw into this game don't expect much of it.

Housing will be for those that have money to burn.  You can bet it will be exactly like UO, people are sitting on plots and selling them on user websites.

You really have to wonder why developers keep making the same mistake over and over again.

I don't agree that AA is just a money grab.  I think it's a quality game with a ton of potential but Trion and XL have screwed the pooch with their "headstart".  You can't own land unless you are a P2P account holder anyway, so the housing is a non issue for F2P people. 

As far as people grabbing up land and selling it, yeah it will happen, just like it happens all the time in RL.  AA is not a everyone is a special snowflake kind of game.  People that have more time and more resources will have an easier time making money, just like real life.  I am a patron but I have limited time to play because of work, gf, child, etc so while many people on my server own 3 and 4 farms and houses I only own a small farm because I couldn't play much this weekend. 

You know what I am ok with that, I played maybe 15 hours all weekend while many of my guildies played 15 hours a day this weekend.   

Originally posted by Siveria
    I am mostly staying away from AA because its totally pay2win, with the labour pots being in there on a 4 hour cooldown (was supposed to be 12 or 24 hour). People with too much cash irl can throw it at the game and get way ahead, and in a game like this, you won't catch up.

FYI... they moved it back up to 12 hours.

Totally not P2W... I have 5k labor and am actually looking for things to waste some on.  If you are a patron the LP is sort of irrelevant.

• DilligDillig Member UncommonPosts: 123

I find it classic that all the safe zone land got snatched up. Where are all the hard core PvPer's that always say we want a open pvp world and when they get the choice to have land in danger areas they choose the safe zones.

LoL classic I say.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Dillig

I find it classic that all the safe zone land got snatched up. Where are all the hard core PvPer's that always say we want a open pvp world and when they get the choice to have land in danger areas they choose the safe zones.

LoL classic I say.

Well from a strategic standpoint, it forces the non-PVPers out into the world... so in essence, it's exactly what they want.