Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horrible FPS drops, making the game unplayable?

SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I did at launch quite a lot on my old PC until it was somewhat sorted, but now I've came back yesterday to give the game a go again and I'm getting it, and it's making it unplayable for me.

I run at a constant 35-ish (Average) FPS with DX11 enabled and the overall quality on ultra. But sometimes when I'm turning or entering a building my FPS just drops to below ten and jitters so much, I get the same issue when entering combat or initiating anything really.

I've now switched the overall quality to low and DX to 9 and I'm getting the exact same issues.

GTX 660 OC

I do however have an AMD Cpu, could this be causing issues? I heard tSW doesn't get along with AMD products too much haha

Comments

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

As I recall, I switched to DX9 and saw a considerable increase in fps and playability. I don't remember having to change any other settings.

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165

One of the most common causes of FPS drops is having the Effects Detail in the Advanced graphics option maxed. The max is 4.0 and changing it to even 3.8 can give a huge boost to FPS stability. I'm not sure why having it maxed causes so many problems, but it has a significant impact on performance, especially in Blue Mountain and a certain area in the Scorched Desert.

Tessellation can also have a pretty big effect on FPS and performance as well. You should try playing with and without it enabled and see what kind of impact it has. One more thing to mess with would be the Advanced GFX slider. Unfortunately, the devs tied multiple settings to that one slider, but lowering it can definitely improve performance. Oddly, I actually think the game looks a little better when I set the slider to 2. You may or may not agree, but you should definitely see some FPS gains if you lower that slider.

Aside from those things, interestingly most everything else has little to no impact on performance, so I would suggest maxing everything except for what I mentioned above. I'd try leaving it on DX11 and messing with those other settings before switching to DX9.

That's about all I can think of right now, but if I think of anything else, I'll make sure I post it.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• VenedVened Member UncommonPosts: 71

AMD/Radeon problem is all time long. Check official forum for details.

I runned TSW in dx 11 on gtx 460, on mid. There is no dif dx 9 or 11 on this card, 11 works smoother imo. And looks much better. But there are some areas (ie Agartha entrance in Blue Mountain) unoptimized properly.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

The game has always been poorly optimized - after all it's the only mmo where during every major event the more helpful people spam links with all the settings you have to lower, to be able to halfway play the event.

Go for directx9 and turn off name tags, lower effect details and  hmm ... I think they suggested removing a lot of stuff from the combat logs, such as damage output of other players etc.

Harbinger of Fools
  • SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

Thanks for the replies guys

I've tried everything and I'm still getting the issues sadly :/ and now my MS keeps spiking to 1k for a few seconds at a time haha.

It's very irritating not being able to click on a player without my screen freezing

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Sarariel

Thanks for the replies guys

I've tried everything and I'm still getting the issues sadly :/ and now my MS keeps spiking to 1k for a few seconds at a time haha.

It's very irritating not being able to click on a player without my screen freezing

Its happened to me in the past . I switched to DX9 and that helped a lot but even then its happened ever now and then usually after an update usually it puts itself right within a few days . I know most people will say this but it can be a graphics driver problem but the odd thing is when I updated my Radeon I had problems but when I rolled back the driver it worked fine again . 

• SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

Ugh, this is ridiculous.

I've tried everything, nothing is improving the performance, my pc is more than capable of running this

• Another_FanAnother_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Sarariel

Ugh, this is ridiculous.

I've tried everything, nothing is improving the performance, my pc is more than capable of running this

The system requirements Funcom publishes are a joke at your expense.

I had exactly the same experience on Two machines both of which greatly exceeded the base spec they publish and there was only one thing that fixed it. Put the game on a SSD. This will fix it, but you need to remember the game is spamming log files like there is no tomorrow to that SSD and it takes up roughly 50 gig all by itself.

It would be nice if after two years Funcom could have gotten around to improving the games file access and compressing textures but I guess it's not a priority for them.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

There is a well known a persistent error if you combine Window 8 + NVidia card + DX11. Funcom's stance on the issue is that they do not support Windows 8 so the only solution is to use Window 7 or play in DX9.

I had the issue when I had a GTX 670, but after I replaced that recently with a AMD card it went away.

This is the only major issue that might explain this that I can think of.

The Enlightened take things Lightly