Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Bungie Warns Day One Reviews Might Not Tell the Whole Story"

MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

GameSpot Article

It seems Bungie has taken a preemptive strike against reviewers by warning players that day one reviews might not be indicative of the real value in Destiny.... Whatever that's supposed to mean.

I've already read comments on other sites saying such things as, "Like an MMO, it doesn't open up and get fun until the endgame."  As if that's some sort of boon.

The game will sell well, it's Bungie on both major consoles with a hype-monster during a next-gen drought. However, the fact that Bungie even feels the need to make such a statement makes me wonder if they aren't feeling the same thing I was when playing the beta of a game that was supposed to change the face of FPSs: totally and utterly underwhelmed with their product.

The "powers" of each class mainly consist of passive buffs with maybe a mechanic (i.e. melee) upgrade and a few "ultimate" type powers with cooldowns (the pickup powers used in the Halo franchise were as interesting and varied, probably more so). Nowhere near the depth, either gameplay or tactically, I was expecting. The gunplay was generic. The story? Not intriguing enough at the start to keep you playing for the 20-some-odd levels of fetch/assassinate missions.

Boss fights were artificially lengthened through a massive pool of health given to said boss. It takes less than 2 minutes to figure out the boss's pattern of attack- over 10 minutes of duck, fire, repeat to take them down. Honestly, my experience was the most challenging thing about the first Fireteam mission was finding enough ammo off of adds to destroy the boss.

With that said, I truly was hoping for something revolutionary. I wish the best because I like Bungie and the Halo franchise. However, the realistic side of me sees this game as being polished, pretty, but ultimately generic. Certainly not groundbreaking or even very innovative.

Thoughts?

Comments

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by MadFrenchie

With that said, I truly was hoping for something revolutionary.

Such as? Is a FPS, there's only so much you can do with a simplistic genre like that.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I hope it does well because it's not a quest hub themepark and any time one of those doe well in any genre it once again tells accountants that " make it like wow " isn't the only way a game can make money

That being said it sounds like an endless supply of money doesn't fix all your problems when developing a "massive" game.

• DrailliDrailli Member CommonPosts: 34

While it is an fps, I found myself looking at 3rd person shooter games and wondering why they couldn't have taken stuff from those in this game. The game has enough crap everywhere for them to have used an active cover slide system, and it's not like they don't have 3rd person elements the could have made you able to use your ghost or just go third person to see around the cover. 

They could have let you use your ghost for crap other than a gps, there was a lot that could have been done with Destiny, and I think honestly one of the main reasons it isn't on pc is because of the wasted potential. The game itself really has little depth, and I will be surprised if it lives long enough to make it to them trying to release it on pc. The only way destiny makes it through the long run is if they keep adding to the game and do it on an active schedule.

The whole not on pc thing, when they want it to be like a mmo made my brain hurt. That's like a buffet saying no fat people, or a brothel only trying to service pretty clients. Those aren't your bread and butter customers. I find the Xbox one and PS4 networks to still be buggy, so I really have little desire to try to play a mmo style game on either one.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Originally posted by Edli

With that said, I truly was hoping for something revolutionary.

Such as? Is a FPS, there's only so much you can do with a simplistic genre like that.

I certainly think more could have been done than, "go here, defend while your robot does everything for you."

Also, the boss battles being artificially lengthened through a massive HP pool just seemed.... Lazy.  The attack patterns were pretty predictable.  Those fights quickly become boring.

I dunno.  For a game that was supposed to change FPSs, it doesn't try much other than shared world, which is basically just forced multiplayer (even if only forced coop).

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I've already read comments on other sites saying such things as, "Like an MMO, it doesn't open up and get fun until the endgame."  As if that's some sort of boon.

LOL

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

LOL

I got a chuckle too. I hear the game really opens up after level 30 though.

I see what you did there!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by DMKano

LOL

Sadly Destiny never opens up - its a lobby game from start to finish.

Neither does Diablo but its a legendary game

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

LOL

I heard it opens up when you stand on one foot and sing the Lithuanian national anthem while pushing the button combo 'AAABBBAAXXXYBBAAYYXXXA' with your right hand while using your left hand to say 'I'd like some pound cake' using American sign language.

Doesn't mean I'm going to try it.

On a more serious note, a company issuing a statement like this really doesn't convey a message of confidence, especially not when it's right near release day. Not a good sign.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Originally posted by DMKano

Diablo is legendary because it was totally ground breaking for its time - it revolutionized ARPGs period.

Destiny is an above average FPS - the only groundbreaking aspect is the massive marketing budget.

Diablo 3 didnt really do anything ground breaking for its time but a lot of people love it.  Destiny is just doing the same thing only with FPS style gameplay and a lot of people are loving it.  A game doesnt have to do anything groundbreaking for it to be a good game, you should take that mentality out of your head and you would see that video games are much more enjoyable.  WoW didnt do anything groundbreaking either.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

The goal was to take the structure of Halo, remove all reference to Halo (Art, Models, & Lore).  Recreate the feel in new IP ands make it a MMOFPS.  From what I have heard, the complaint is there is too much MMOGrind to Max level.  Is Max Level going to be a one week, one month, or one year effort?  I think Activision is hoping it will be one year effort.

The player base has wanted a game like this for some time, now lets hope the leave us RPGers alone and stop complaining about WoW clones.  They now have the non-WoW game they have been asking for and MMOG - FPS.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
     Every company is just unimaginative and unwilling to risk stepping outside of the box. Which is why some things feel stale in many of the genres now.

Damn, The Man!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

This game should be added to that list that was just posted about games that were doomed before launch.  If you're a company, you want to make money, yes?  Then why would you not make a game that releases on the biggest platform that there ever will be.

It's been way over-hyped.  This is just a way for Bungie to hold on a little longer to the initial hype wave, so people will still buy it. If you think this game is revolutionary or anything like that, you're going to be disappointed.  From all the videos and interviews I've seen, it's CoD Multiplayer, limited to 6 people, and the other team is a dumb AI which no FPS has smart AI lol.

Originally posted by Gravarg limited to 6 people, and the other team is a dumb AI which no FPS has smart AI lol.

That didnt stop Diablo 3 and Borderlands to be considered as great games to many gamers

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    Originally posted by Gravarg limited to 6 people, and the other team is a dumb AI which no FPS has smart AI lol.

That didnt stop Diablo 3 and Borderlands to be considered as great games to many gamers

True, that's why I've told my friends, it's Borderlands with prettier graphics.  That is literally the best way to explain it lol.

Originally posted by Gravarg

True, that's why I've told my friends, it's Borderlands with prettier graphics.  That is literally the best way to explain it lol.

Difference is in borderlands you dont run into random players while your out exploring or have public events that consists of multiple different groups of players which is more than 6 players.

• BreshaBresha Member Posts: 65

I remember reading an article saying that Bungie wouldnt allow a review to be posted until the 9th.

Seems to me that they want everyone to take the bait before they find out the truth.

Seems sketchy to me.Good thing Im waiting on this game.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Gravarg limited to 6 people, and the other team is a dumb AI which no FPS has smart AI lol.

yea, but they haven't been sold as mmos, have they?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167

The quote is obviously aimed at people who have never played MMOs or online games because I think everyone knows that already - that your experience early game may not be the same as late game or a year or two down the line.

With that said, it makes me feel like they know their game isn't as compelling and interesting as it should be to keep people playing long enough to get to the "good" stuff. It's an extremely poor and tired excuse: "oh, but just wait til late game! that's where the fun really begins!"

How 'bout no? Make your game fun the entire way through. It shouldn't be a chore or intentionally boring because you think it has to be in order for people to have fun later when you actually put in some effort into making it interesting 20-40+ in. You're supposed to hook people with all the interesting and fun stuff you have to offer asap then innovate and improve as time goes on.

I likely wont be buying it at all, certainly not on launch. I don't see why I should. I have the borderlands games, warframe, defiance, and maybe some firefall. I personally don't see what destiny is doing differently enough to justify spending 50-60 dollars.

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252

I think we shouldn't miss the fact that Destiny is first to be released for consoles and not for PC.

The game and it's design will be a complete new experience for the target audience "console gamers". I think that PC gamers potentially will be disapponted, because we are more familiar with MMOs. I mean, we had sandbox MMOs, theme park MMOs, a mix of both, quest hub MMOs, storyline driven MMOs, simple grind MMOs, linear character advancement, horizontal character advancement, and the list goes on.

The point is, it is much more difficult to meet the expectations of MMO fanatics than to meet the one of a common console gamer. So, in the end it is a smart move to release the game on consoles first, to warn the new player base of early reviews and to then port it to other platforms.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Asariasha

I think we shouldn't miss the fact that Destiny is first to be released for consoles and not for PC.

The game and it's design will be a complete new experience for the target audience "console gamers". I think that PC gamers potentially will be disapponted, because we are more familiar with MMOs. I mean, we had sandbox MMOs, theme park MMOs, a mix of both, quest hub MMOs, storyline driven MMOs, simple grind MMOs, linear character advancement, horizontal character advancement, and the list goes on.

The point is, it is much more difficult to meet the expectations of MMO fanatics than to meet the one of a common console gamer. So, in the end it is a smart move to release the game on consoles first, to warn the new player base of early reviews and to then port it to other platforms.

I think this is a good point. On consoles Destiny is an "enhanced FPS" rather than a "shallow mmo".

And if it comes to the c.10% of market covered by PCs how does it compare to GW1 - this is not a ftp cash shop driven game nor one with a subscription after all.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Once the PC version comes out the game has already been improved quite a bit.

Definitely worth picking up if you enjoy for example borderlands series.