Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bodies on tops of bodies - sandbox?

time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

I played this game about around January or February in alpha.  I knew it was a sandbox, and I researched it, and I know ppl have different ideas about what a sandbox is so this is where my opinion might differ. 

I felt the gameworld was quite tiny, like wakfu, and I kept running into other players and all the land was taken and it just felt like I was in a snowglobe.  I haven't played alpha since, so can anyone tell me if the world expanded.  it felt a lot like wakfu in terms of gamesize but I was expecting it to be more like salem, where I could run off into a forest for hours and set up my house in the wilderness.  so I was a bit disappointed.

I know they have to make the game and land size tiny so ppl will fight over territory, but I just wanted a huge map where I could get lost in, but that wasn't the case.  there were tons of ppl everywhere I went to with all properties either next to empty spaces or surrounded by other players.  has the game land size increased>?

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Not sure if this is before or after you played, but they had a news update in late August that said they increased the map size.  It's a small reference, but maybe encouraging for you.  https://albiononline.com/content-update-summer-alpha/

I self identify as a monkey.

• Korn42Korn42 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    The alpha test that you mentioned contained an extremely small test world, the actual game world is huge in size. Upcoming test will have around 40 clusters, which is around ten times bigger than what you saw. Final game world will be much bigger still.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    Originally posted by Korn42
    The alpha test that you mentioned contained an extremely small test world, the actual game world is huge in size. Upcoming test will have around 40 clusters, which is around ten times bigger than what you saw. Final game world will be much bigger still.

Good, cuz I want to have the option to run off into the wilds and just be left alone, and then head into town when I feel like it, ala Salem heheh.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

from what i heard, on release, AO will have almost around 800 clusters, and they barely even pass 100 clusters during the last alpha

So What Now?

• Korn42Korn42 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by TweFoju

from what i heard, on release, AO will have almost around 800 clusters, and they barely even pass 100 clusters during the last alpha

The last alpha test had around 20 clusters only, but effectively less as some of those were taken by the starter zones. The one before that - if I remember correctly - had only 8 (I think that is the one OP is referring to) whereas the upcoming one will have more than 40. 

• dhynds2003dhynds2003 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Are these clusters/areas seamless or do you need to load into each one?
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by dhynds2003

curious as well

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by dhynds2003

curious as well

Load into each one, each cluster is like a new map zone and you travel to the edge of the map then go to the overview map and then pick which zone you want to go into then you load into that one