Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Divinity: Original Sin: Fun or Tedious?

I'm thinking of picking up Divinity: Original Sin but I'd like some opinions first.  I've read reviews that say the game is a ton of fun and others that say the game play can be tedious.  What do you guys think?  As a frame of reference, I grew up playing turn-based RPG's on the C64, so I'm no stranger to the format.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    At first the game is fun and harkens back to when RPGs hardly held your hand and made you think on how to finish the quests.  That can be fun if that's what you are looking for or tedious if you can't figure out the puzzles and want to look stuff up on how to finish certain quests.  The combat is fun, at least first, and reminds me a lot of the Temple of Elemental Evil.  Also there are no monster respawns in the wilderness areas, so once you clear a path to a dungeon it stays cleared.   After 40+ hours though I slowly started to loose interest and have taken a break.  I'm probably about 75% done roughly, so I will eventually go back and finish it.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

It is 'tedious' in that there are a lot of things to do but it does almost no hand-holding and no map marker of 'Go here to talk to NPC2 to proceed to the next quest!'. You have to read / listen and figure out a lot of the things or read a walkthrough.

I'd compare it to BG series where that also did almost zero hand holding on what to do next, has tactical combat, the writing / VA is way above par than your average RPG and it has multiple ways to finish a quest.

This probably explains it better in a humours way; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mnvuoLs2wY

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Do you have to literally take notes, like in Ultima IV??
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean

yup or use google :P , the game little to no hand holding
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I didn't but I finished the game in like 5 sittings or so.

You can put in custom notes on the map which should be more than enough.

Also, there are multiple walkthroughs / videos should you wish to go down that route.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Fun, fun, fun!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    If you choose to play the game as non-"evil" person then it's quite tedious, because you have to go through a lot of hoops to accomplish things. But if you're like most people, you will pickpocket, steal, break-in to houses, kill NPCs, and it puts the game on super ultra ez-mode and removes much of the tedium.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

I'm thinking of picking up Divinity: Original Sin but I'd like some opinions first.  I've read reviews that say the game is a ton of fun and others that say the game play can be tedious.  What do you guys think?  As a frame of reference, I grew up playing turn-based RPG's on the C64, so I'm no stranger to the format.

Thanks for any help!

look, if you are going to read reviews then actually look at "why" they are saying the game is tedious or "why" they are saying it's fun.

Just because someone uses an adjective doesn't mean that adjective applies to you.

So go back to the reviews and actually read them.

Otherwise I'm going to say "fun". 

Take that as you wish but honestly, why would you listen to any of us as you don't know where any of us come from and what any of us like?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Thanks for any help!

look, if you are going to read reviews then actually look at "why" they are saying the game is tedious or "why" they are saying it's fun.

Just because someone uses an adjective doesn't mean that adjective applies to you.

Take that as you wish but honestly, why would you listen to any of us as you don't know where any of us come from and what any of us like?

Ur right about the reviews, but otherwise - with all due respect - I think there is nothing wrong with him (/her?) asking questions  to fellow gamers.......... about a game.

Sure, what is ''tedious'' or not can be very subjective, indeed (general consensus about the subject not withstanding, if there is any at all), but IMO it wouln't hurt to know  what other players think of a game before a gamer makes his/her mind to purchase that particular game or not.

But.. heheheh,, you can be right in the end. Because; since what is ''fun or not'' can be very subjective, it can be misleading as well. What if we make a fellow player shell out $$ for a game that he ultimately wouldn't like (in lieu of our advice) or make him skip a game that he otherwise would enjoy throughly.

Oh man, this is getting too philosophical for me now... and im drunk so dang early in the morning, prolly not a good combo, but there is a first time for everything, eh?) 

So, just one more thing before I bail out ; we don't have to make any decisions for the player asking for advice. (We prolly couldnt, anyways - even if we wanted to :P) We (ehm, those of us who own the game, at least) can just post our opinions about that particular game and let OP make the decision to buy the game or not based on the feedback that we give him (along with any and all data he deems to gather from other forms of information sources such as gaming site reviews etcatera).

CAPTAIN OBVIOUS AWAAAAY!!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Krelian
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Thanks for any help!

Ur right about the reviews, but otherwise - with all due respect - I think there is nothing wrong with him (/her?) asking questions  to fellow gamers.......... about a game.

Sure, what is ''tedious'' or not can be very subjective, indeed (general consensus about the subject not withstanding, if there is any at all), but IMO it wouln't hurt to know  what other players think of a game before a gamer makes his/her mind to purchase that particular game or not.

But.. heheheh,, you can be right in the end. Because; since what is ''fun or not'' can be very subjective, it can be misleading as well. What if we make a fellow player shell out $$ for a game that he ultimately wouldn't like (in lieu of our advice) or make him skip a game that he otherwise would enjoy throughly.

Oh man, this is getting too philosophical for me now... and im drunk so dang early in the morning, prolly not a good combo, but there is a first time for everything, eh?) 

So, just one more thing before I bail out ; we don't have to make any decisions for the player asking for advice. (We prolly couldnt, anyways - even if we wanted to :P) We (ehm, those of us who own the game, at least) can just post our opinions about that particular game and let OP make the decision to buy the game or not based on the feedback that we give him (along with any and all data he deems to gather from other forms of information sources such as gaming site reviews etcatera).

CAPTAIN OBVIOUS AWAAAAY!!

Well that's the thing, I find grinding "fun".

so if someone were to ask "hey is it fun or tedious I would say "fun". They then get the game and lo and behold, for the sake of example, it's a grind game. Suddenly he/she is pissed because "hey, you said it was fun".

Unless these are horrible reviews and they don't give any detail!

edit: and you know, I think I'd like to know what they thought was fun or tedious, come to think of it.

Otherwise, I think the game is fun. But since there is no "hand holding" some people might find that too much to take. I agree that we dont' have to make decisions for the player but most of the time when I read reviews I know what I'm getting into and I ignore what the reviewer says about "good or bad", fun or tedious, etc.

All that stuff means nothing. What matters are the details.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189

Thanks for any help!

I got bored quite fast.

Dont get me wrong, its a really good game that does what its supposed to do, i just cant get into it anymore.

Clicking, bad UI and 2D just doest do it for me anymore.

I think alot of people that bought this game ended up thinking the same thing as me. You think you would love a game "as it used to be", but in reality you cant.

My 2 cents.

• The crafting system and juggling the monumental amount of ingredients flooding every crevice of your inventory is deeply tedious, but apart from that it's a very fun game. Recommended.

• Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    Not at all. There's an in-game journal keeping track of your progress in the various quests. Similar to the journal in Baldur's Gate, but better organised.
  • vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

The game is rather cryptic and offers little to no hint at what to do. It's more of a guessing game at some points. Thus, google is your buddy. Further, the first few hours are fun but then you realize it's just the same old stuff as everything else.

The interaction system with weather is nice but is basically a setup system for more powerful effects. Just see it as, use spell 1, then use powered up version of spell 2. Watch out for friendly fire though.

Difficulty is also often lauded in this game and while it is unreasonably difficult the first few levels, it becomes easier the longer you play it (and it's not due to more knowledge of the game). At the final boss, I was basically having full health the whole time even when 1 of my 4 chars was CC'd the whole time.

The story is rather complicated but nothing revolutionary, mainly because it's not linear. You can finish quests in the wrong order or accidentaly finish a quest before even hearing why you have to do it.

All in all it is a good game, not great but good. For a pickup, it depends on the price.