Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Fate of SWG

Comments

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Saigonshakes
    Admirker crys about everything. Take all his posts with a grain of salt. He thinks of new ways to bash any and all SOE every day. So far, i'm really liking that game. Oh and Fadeus, I'm gonna create Saigon quite soon. Been busy with my college finals for a bit but I'm ready to go.

ROGER ROGER!

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Paladin101
    I'm not understanding the CU atall i think? Did it change the animations or just stats and the roles of professions. All i know is if it is like Star Wars but feels like WW i will jump back to SWG in a heart beat. I love how WoW interface is and the way the classes are ect but the graphics are better IMO in SWG. + Star Wars is the Best and i want to be a get damn Storm Trooper already!Move along, Move Along......

It actually changed everything. New particle effects, some new moves, the way everything works. There is a combat level system that adds a damage multiplier, etc.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• SideSwipeSideSwipe Member Posts: 44

Grrrrr my  copy of the total experience still hasn't arrived in the post,  i'm dying to give this game a whirl.

Looking to enter a galaxy far far away vey soon :)

• vintageonevintageone Member Posts: 60

I've been playing for 3 months. *Master fencer*
    And on eclipse. I see not only a bunch of Vet friends.

but a TON off n00blets.
    And i offer to help them all the time. *Newbie helper*
    Up to a certain point =)
    I'm a big swg fan since 3 months ago and with the SOE all access plan i plan to play forever. ^_^ lol ok mabey not.

But for now... image All hail Star wars galaxies.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

---------------------
    I Do Whatever My Rice Krispies Tell Me To.

• RavenStJRavenStJ Member Posts: 309

SWG will have a tempory spike.. many of the bart simpson style players will possibly loose hope and wake to reality, That this is no longer star wars but everquest 3 with lasers.

I walked with swg almost since the beginning ( beta Phase 2 11/ 15/02 ) and fought many eq jughead fanboism(and others), about the validty of this game, even when the game servers crashed upon launch and we didnt see it for another day ....

as for now and the current tie with ros, the fevered novelty will wear off, and the game will end up cindering down to a few servers...

I wanted so hard to believe in the upgrade, and when i tried it for2 weeks, I walked away finally, knowing that I had to let go.

I ventured into wow, and guild wars, yet my gaming heart lies shattered with the hopes that swg will improve...

06/26/2003 TILL BLACK TUESDAY April 26, 2005 rip swg

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

First as far as numbers, let me show you what THIS SITE says about it:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/gameId/6/setView/features/loadFeature/121

Second,

Hey fellas I'm on Naritus too! Look up Aricuk, or Jak'Obi.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by RavenStJ

SWG will have a tempory spike.. many of the bart simpson style players will possibly loose hope and wake to reality, That this is no longer star wars but everquest 3 with lasers.
    I walked with swg almost since the beginning ( beta Phase 2 11/ 15/02 ) and fought many eq jughead fanboism(and others), about the validty of this game, even when the game servers crashed upon launch and we didnt see it for another day ....

as for now and the current tie with ros, the fevered novelty will wear off, and the game will end up cindering down to a few servers...
    I wanted so hard to believe in the upgrade, and when i tried it for2 weeks, I walked away finally, knowing that I had to let go.
    I ventured into wow, and guild wars, yet my gaming heart lies shattered with the hopes that swg will improve...
    06/26/2003 TILL BLACK TUESDAY April 26, 2005 rip swg

WTF is a bart simpson style player? One that constantly says "dont have a cow, man"? Or is it a player who stays 12 years old forever? Also sorry to hear your gaming heart is lying shattered, but did you really give the CU a chance? 2 weeks you said so only you know if that was long enough, I find the game to be a blast its simply awesome. But to each their own image Maybe start a new character and begin again fresh? Can't imagine that Guild Wars is a solution to anything, as its kind of its own type of gaming experience. WoW on the other hand is plain fun image And umm black tuesday you call it for I guess when the CU went live? lol seriously you need help I honestly think you need a year in Tibet with the monks.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295

Originally posted by Jodokai

Hey fellas I'm on Naritus too! Look up Aricuk, or Jak'Obi.

YEAH .. send me a mail or tell in game   (to Novarider or Delos). I am playing at European times.

Have fun

Erillion

• MSCavMSCav Member UncommonPosts: 141

[quote]Originally posted by SinisterCB
    [b]

Originally posted by Techpriest
    Sorry, it was not fair of me to mention stats off the site and not link to it.
    [url=http://www.mmogchart.com/]

Thanx alot Tech. This is very interesting.[/b][/quote]

SOE has not gained much back after the crappy CU! A few guild members of mine (I am not in the game) have said there is a small surge but nothing big.

SOE messed up, but from what I know from other people who played Everquest and have dealt with SOE before, this is nothing new.

Cav, Senior Commander Midnight Squadron.  midnightsquadron.com
  • JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

All the people that have played the game for awhile say they hate the CU, but consider the source: You used to be able to solo ANYTHING in the game, now you can't. Who likes to be nerfed? They also have to learn a new system. Something they've been comfortable with has been replaced by something new. Not many people like change. Add to that, that most people used their respc to go from a class they had to grind through and learn, and just jumped into a new class they knew nothing about.

Now go ask the people that just started playing how they like the combat and they'll tell you they love it.

P.S.

Fadeus I LOVE the new sig. I would have used something more abitrary like coffee instead of Han Solo, but I almost spit my drink on my monitor laughing at that.

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

All the people that have played the game for awhile say they hate the CU, but consider the source: You used to be able to solo ANYTHING in the game, now you can't. Who likes to be nerfed? They also have to learn a new system. Something they've been comfortable with has been replaced by something new. Not many people like change. Add to that, that most people used their respc to go from a class they had to grind through and learn, and just jumped into a new class they knew nothing about.
    Now go ask the people that just started playing how they like the combat and they'll tell you they love it.

P.S.
    Fadeus I LOVE the new sig. I would have used something more abitrary like coffee instead of Han Solo, but I almost spit my drink on my monitor laughing at that.

Actually thats not true at all. The crafters hate the CU because it makes ubber items pointless. Nobody needs the absolute best armor, weapons, or food because of the damage multiplier system. A few more % in items just dont matter and wont make any difference. So in essence, the devs made all the effort 12 point smiths spent so long on truly pointless. And ironically, the crafters were the most loyal of players. They stuck by SOE long after others had left because there was always something to work for like a 12 point suit or ris armor or other highly lucrative items. Again, all pointless now.

I personally didnt care for the old combat system and missed the early days when groups heading to tusken fort were common. I hoped those days come back. While the CU did make grouping come back, it made many things much much worse. Combat is much slower now. Group sizes were nerfed from 20 to 8. And solo play, while possible is much more like EQ2 games...slow and not very pleasant.

Finally, and what most here seem to keep missing is the change from a skill based system with levels to a level based system with a damage multiplier in it. Its like i bought and owned a truck for 2 years. Then suddenly the dealer comes by and tells me they're going to replace my truck with a new better truck cause my current one is a lemon. After 2 years, they finally replace my truck. However, instead of getting a new truck, i get a 4 door sedan thats also a lemon. I didnt want a sedan, and most dont want a level based game.

P.S.

Bahaha, sorry I almost got ya there. I thouht about something more arbitrary, but then I rememeber something Hercules said not long ago on why the new 3 episodes suck in comparison to the old so I tributed the quote to him. He said they all lacked Han Solo.

- Scaris

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Originally posted by admriker444

seem to keep missing is the change from a skill based system with levels to a level based system with a damage multiplier in it. Its like i bought and owned a truck for 2 years. Then suddenly the dealer comes by and tells me they're going to replace my truck with a new better truck cause my current one is a lemon. After 2 years, they finally replace my truck. However, instead of getting a new truck, i get a 4 door sedan thats also a lemon. I didnt want a sedan, and most dont want a level based game.

When are peole going to stop with this "level based system" stuff?  It is NOT a level based system.  It is the same system it has always been but they put in a damage multiplier.  Levels have ALWAYS been present, you could tell this on day 1 simply by opening a mission terminal, the levels are just visible now.  This was done to make character progression easier to comprehend so they say.

If it weren't for the fact that, apparently, so many people found the previous system hard to comprehend the numbers would still be hidden and no one would be calling it a level based system.

The supposed steep learning curve and hard to comprehend combat system is another topic I suppose but in my opinion SWG is the second easiest to understand MMO that I've played.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

Originally posted by TookyG

When are peole going to stop with this "level based system" stuff? It is NOT a level based system. It is the same system it has always been but they put in a damage multiplier. Levels have ALWAYS been present, you could tell this on day 1 simply by opening a mission terminal, the levels are just visible now. This was done to make character progression easier to comprehend so they say.
    If it weren't for the fact that, apparently, so many people found the previous system hard to comprehend the numbers would still be hidden and no one would be calling it a level based system.
    The supposed steep learning curve and hard to comprehend combat system is another topic I suppose but in my opinion SWG is the second easiest to understand MMO that I've played.

Well said. Its just the damage multiplier thats the issue. It can penalize you if you don't take atleast 2 mastered elite professions to get combat level 80 however, because you will always be more vulnerable then those that did. As for it being hard to understand I think its about the same as before. Which before it was always rather cryptic to me. The con system never worked at all, you didn't know what you could attack safely without trial and error and it took me forever to figure out all the skill stuff and what it all means and did.

Unfortunately admirker is like an old broken record, talking about something he only halfway seems to understand. And I don't think his issues with it really coincide with current players of SWG, he just seems to have yet another issue with SOE and in whine mode for awhile.

- Scaris

• RavenStJRavenStJ Member Posts: 309

WTF is a bart simpson style player? One that constantly says "dont have a cow, man"? Or is it a player who stays 12 years old forever? Also sorry to hear your gaming heart is lying shattered, but did you really give the CU a chance? 2 weeks you said so only you know if that was long enough, I find the game to be a blast its simply awesome. But to each their own Maybe start a new character and begin again fresh? Can't imagine that Guild Wars is a solution to anything, as its kind of its own type of gaming experience. WoW on the other hand is plain fun And umm black tuesday you call it for I guess when the CU went live? lol seriously you need help I honestly think you need a year in Tibet with the monks.
    Originally posted by anarchyart

. think of the episode when they sent bart to krusty kamp.... and he kept sitting the corner sayin over and over krusty will come... well, that is akin to the pklayer saying some days swg will improve..

and you must be new to the game, because i tried new chars and such and found nothjing to be fun at all about it.

to me refering to that date me that is a personal pref .. cause it is the day swg died and became eq3..

as for guild wars, hell i said try it, not that it was a solution over this puke...

• tovotovo Member Posts: 4

The new players wont mind the game because they never knew wot it was like before,

• StrangerrStrangerr Member Posts: 32

new players wont mind the CU cause they have never expirienced pre-CU SWG so I dont really think any new players will try to convince a Vet of anything .. As for the vets ... the ones that hate the CU are all those that loved to have God mode (buffs) and run arround for 5h killing 150 mobs at the same time solo , and nobody is going to tell me that its not the case. Ok I know that the CU screwed the crafters a bit but its not the end of the world and ppl will start buying the best items once again , after everybody gets used to the "new" game. So if you are not a crafter and say that you hate the CU then you are a "I-wanna-be-solo-god" type of player in which case go play a Single player game . Oh and there is the group of ppl that are going to say "but I dont like to play with other ppl , i want to play solo and now I cant " ...well if you dont want to play with other ppl then why the heck do you play a mmorpg ? again go play SP ....

Originally posted by Strangerr
    new players wont mind the CU cause they have never expirienced pre-CU SWG so I dont really think any new players will try to convince a Vet of anything .. As for the vets ... the ones that hate the CU are all those that loved to have God mode (buffs) and run arround for 5h killing 150 mobs at the same time solo , and nobody is going to tell me that its not the case. Ok I know that the CU screwed the crafters a bit but its not the end of the world and ppl will start buying the best items once again , after everybody gets used to the "new" game. So if you are not a crafter and say that you hate the CU then you are a "I-wanna-be-solo-god" type of player in which case go play a Single player game . Oh and there is the group of ppl that are going to say "but I dont like to play with other ppl , i want to play solo and now I cant " ...well if you dont want to play with other ppl then why the heck do you play a mmorpg ? again go play SP ....

ILL TELL YOU THAT FLAT OUT! I NEVER USED BUFFS and used to laugh at my guildmates who did. Once again that was something that could have been fixed without the CU.

Now the game is pratically a group only game and there were times when you want to just solo games. People are not as friendly as you like to think out there and grouping with them could also mean less experience for you if the current state is the same.

If someone wants to solo then what is the big deal? let them solo a game except for quest missions. I should not have to rely on other people if I have mastered an art just to do a regular mission.

• fatgatofatgato Member Posts: 34

I use to be full time crafter on Gorrath, I cancelled my 3 accounts because now its impossible for me to go to my factories, let alone go look for resources. The one thing I loved to do was craft , I had a weaponsmith, armorsmith, Master Artisan, Shipwright, Architect, and Chef. I also had my combat classes as well. You might say I have too much time on my hands , yes I do. I am a Disabled Vet from Gulf war.

The game allowed me to do something I truely enjoyed , that was craft. I loved running around planets looking for resources. I've died so many times doing that it was pitiful anways, even with full comp armor. The game no longer holds any interest to me. SOE ruined my game and the game of numerous other crafters.

I had my nephew grind my jedi as well, although was never into the combat aspect of the game too much. I wanted to say I had a jedi , My jedi was a Dark side knight , wasnt super good at PVP, but I still tried anyways :) . I have cancelled my accounts, but will keep watch in hopes that perhaps SOE will realize that there are group of players who were alienated with CU and made useless .

Originally posted by fatgato
    I use to be full time crafter on Gorrath, I cancelled my 3 accounts because now its impossible for me to go to my factories, let alone go look for resources. The one thing I loved to do was craft , I had a weaponsmith, armorsmith, Master Artisan, Shipwright, Architect, and Chef. I also had my combat classes as well. You might say I have too much time on my hands , yes I do. I am a Disabled Vet from Gulf war. The game allowed me to do something I truely enjoyed , that was craft. I loved running around planets looking for resources. I've died so many times doing that it was pitiful anways, even with full comp armor. The game no longer holds any interest to me. SOE ruined my game and the game of numerous other crafters. I had my nephew grind my jedi as well, although was never into the combat aspect of the game too much. I wanted to say I had a jedi , My jedi was a Dark side knight , wasnt super good at PVP, but I still tried anyways :) . I have cancelled my accounts, but will keep watch in hopes that perhaps SOE will realize that there are group of players who were alienated with CU and made useless .

Firstly, I would just like to say thank you for your service to our country. you are greatly appreciated.

Secondly I hope in time you change your mind and make it back. If not I do understand the pains crafters are going through at the moment dealing with the damage multiplier.

- Scaris

SOE has a track record of ruining games from what I hear.

Sorry you lost yoru crafting guys, perhaps in a year you can try the game again and thanks for your service.

You might want to try a different server or get in with a guild. My guild still plays this game even though half of us dropped the game, but they still craft and collect resources. Granted they say it is much safer and easier to go buy the resources than go out in the field to collect them.

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780

As a low level character and a crafter, I'm wondering what difficulty is being discussed? I've mostly been on Tattooine and have found many high quality components (as in nearly full green bar) in low to no risk areas. Are other planets really that difficult? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm honestly curious...

I know my friends might ask for help to go get resources

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by admriker444
    While some may claim to have seen "tons" of new players, the game isnt drawing in anyone. Fact is the servers all remain on Light load (i check them everyday to confirm my fear that the CU was a total failure)
    I sure hope SOE doesnt resort to Server mergers cause it will cause massive problems and result in the remaining players to quit. But SOE is kinda in a no-win situation.
    1. Do nothing and watch players quit because they're tired of playing alone and cant find groups. Myself and what few friends left are having major problems finding even crummy no-clue what they're doing type groups. Eclipse is dead now and it was like the 3rd most populated server pre-cu. Bria is seriously low compared to before. It went from 30+ in one area to 3 here and 2 there, etc. And servers like shadowfire are in really bad shape as they were already low to begin with.
    2. Merge servers then players quit when they find out they cant take their gear and houses and items they've been collecting for 2 years. Its not possible to move those items and with player cities already in-place at the server your toon is being moved too, you'll find your favorite spot for a house already taken.
    SOE is in big big trouble if this comes to pass.

Lots of people left from CU
    Tons of new players joined for ROTW

They pretty much cancelled each other out.

And yes, there ARE tons of new players in the game. We picked up 10 total newbies in our guild this week alone.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Kane
    As a low level character and a crafter, I'm wondering what difficulty is being discussed? I've mostly been on Tattooine and have found many high quality components (as in nearly full green bar) in low to no risk areas. Are other planets really that difficult? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm honestly curious...

The adventure planets are very dangerous. You'll want to get a combat profession or group with hunters to go there.

But no, it's not as horrible as people who "hate" the CU are trying to make it sound.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas