Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Fate of SWG

SinisterCBSinisterCB Member Posts: 302

Where is the new massive influx of players SOE promised?  Or I should say, hoped for.  LMAO all the way to the bank.  Any word or news from SOE, no rumors, of consolidation, game changes etc etc, please post here.

"I'm not a racist...I only hate stupid people..."-SinisterCB

Comments

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780

I don't know about anybody else, but StarSider has a TON of new characters who seem to be new players as most of them are asking a lot of questions.

• Mr_ManMr_Man Member Posts: 77

I can back this up.  I was walking through Mos Eisley today and saw a TON of newbies.  The Total Experience just came out, and I think that's why.  Lots of BARC speeders around.

• azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817
    Tons of tender nooblets on Naritus today.  Almost time to dive back in and see who else I can lend a hand to.

• TechpriestTechpriest Member Posts: 104

Watching the last Star Wars movie got me looking at Star Wars games, that got me into SWG.  I tired a demo of it some time back but only for a few hours so I think I count as a new player.

I think it is way to early to tell how well the movie, new release and new commercials will do.  I do know as I go through the newbie missions I have lots of company, not uncommon to see 4 of us talking to the same NPC.  I also see other people trying to figure out how to use the speeders so they are not all rerolls.  The stats for subscribers I saw did not have May numbers but I would be real surprised to not see a rise in subscribers.

• SinisterCBSinisterCB Member Posts: 302

Originally posted by Techpriest

Watching the last Star Wars movie got me looking at Star Wars games, that got me into SWG.  I tired a demo of it some time back but only for a few hours so I think I count as a new player.
    I think it is way to early to tell how well the movie, new release and new commercials will do.  I do know as I go through the newbie missions I have lots of company, not uncommon to see 4 of us talking to the same NPC.  I also see other people trying to figure out how to use the speeders so they are not all rerolls.  The stats for subscribers I saw did not have May numbers but I would be real surprised to not see a rise in subscribers.

Stats for subscribers?  Where did you see that at?

"I'm not a racist...I only hate stupid people..."-SinisterCB

Sorry, it was not fair of me to mention stats off the site and not link to it.

http://www.mmogchart.com/

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927
    When i saw the movie i started thinking about giving SWG another go considering theres gonna be no more movies im gonna wanna try to get that star wars immersiveness somewhere and im sure a lot of others are feeling the same way. The release of the total experience around the movie release is no mistake.

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

While some may claim to have seen "tons" of new players, the game isnt drawing in anyone. Fact is the servers all remain on Light load (i check them everyday to confirm my fear that the CU was a total failure)

I sure hope SOE doesnt resort to Server mergers cause it will cause massive problems and result in the remaining players to quit. But SOE is kinda in a no-win situation.

1. Do nothing and watch players quit because they're tired of playing alone and cant find groups. Myself and what few friends left are having major problems finding even crummy no-clue what they're doing type groups. Eclipse is dead now and it was like the 3rd most populated server pre-cu. Bria is seriously low compared to before. It went from 30+ in one area to 3 here and 2 there, etc. And servers like shadowfire are in really bad shape as they were already low to begin with.

2. Merge servers then players quit when they find out they cant take their gear and houses and items they've been collecting for 2 years. Its not possible to move those items and with player cities already in-place at the server your toon is being moved too, you'll find your favorite spot for a house already taken.

SOE is in big big trouble if this comes to pass.

• SaigonshakesSaigonshakes Member Posts: 937

I just started the other day and their seems to be quite a few newbs like myself. Definatley more than I expected. I don't think the picture is quite as gloomy as you paint it Admirker, though it is an SOE game so I would expect no less from you.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by admriker444
    While some may claim to have seen "tons" of new players, the game isnt drawing in anyone. Fact is the servers all remain on Light load (i check them everyday to confirm my fear that the CU was a total failure)
    I sure hope SOE doesnt resort to Server mergers cause it will cause massive problems and result in the remaining players to quit. But SOE is kinda in a no-win situation.
    1. Do nothing and watch players quit because they're tired of playing alone and cant find groups. Myself and what few friends left are having major problems finding even crummy no-clue what they're doing type groups. Eclipse is dead now and it was like the 3rd most populated server pre-cu. Bria is seriously low compared to before. It went from 30+ in one area to 3 here and 2 there, etc. And servers like shadowfire are in really bad shape as they were already low to begin with.
    2. Merge servers then players quit when they find out they cant take their gear and houses and items they've been collecting for 2 years. Its not possible to move those items and with player cities already in-place at the server your toon is being moved too, you'll find your favorite spot for a house already taken.

First off I saw 3 servers yesterday that were on a medium load by noon time. Secondly your forgetting about Station Pass which means they are getting money for the game regardless of logins or not. Alot of people pay for all the games and don't frequently play all of them.

Can't find groups? Have you actually LOGGED in lately? I went to the recommended server yesterday and started a new character and there wasn't standing room in Mos Eisley. I had to find my Quest NPC's in mobs of players because of so many new characters being made for whatever reason. Are you just barking out guesses or what you think you know or what? You have no idea what your talking about, I suggest you actually do some homework before you make bold sweeping statements like that. There is no population problem, things could be a heck of alot fuller but its hardly ghost towns like you want to paint it out to be.

And as far as I can tell, you DO hope server merges would happen because you apparently have a hair up your backside in regard to SOE and want to see them fail at this point.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Saigonshakes
    I just started the other day and their seems to be quite a few newbs like myself. Definatley more than I expected. I don't think the picture is quite as gloomy as you paint it Admirker, though it is an SOE game so I would expect no less from you.

DUDE, come to Naritus and look me up when you get on. Just email Marguul in game or do an /addfriend Marguul. I will hook you up when I see ya.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Maybe I will Fadeus. I just started so I wouldn't mind a slight backtrack to get on a good server. In fact, yes, I will indeed start another toon Naritus. See ya there.

Sweet! I will try to catch you in game real soon. Leave me an email in game with your toon's name and I will get you some credits to start out with for now.

- Scaris

Awesome thanks Fadeus. I'm probably going to be Saigon Shakes. I'll send you an email as soon as I get him started.

I just checked Xfire, SWG is in the top 10 for today. I think that alone says far more then what a few people here are saying about the population currently. Doom-say all you want, the game isn't hurting anymore then it has in 2 years. And it has a hell of alot more publicity now then it has since it launched.

- Scaris

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Saigon I don't know how long you've lurked on the SWG boards, but those of us that have been here awhile have learned to ignore Admirker. It doesn't matter what SOE does, he will whine and complain about it, all the while giving them his money. If SOE doesn't change something he complains they aren't listening. If they do change it, he whines that it's not the way it used to be.

He's claimed to have quit around 7 times, yet to make points says he was just on yesterday.

He is also very wrong about the numbers. There has been an incredible influx of new players.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Server consolidation isn't a bad idea imo. Nor, do I believe it to be a sign on SWG going into decline.

People need to worry less about the game's population, and more on if they're having fun or not. If by chance you're having a tough time on one server, go to one like Bria'. I understand there's now a free transfer service.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• TheoTheo Member Posts: 242

I just started on Naritus myself. If you see an up-and-coming smuggler named Brego Rand, be sure to say hello. :)

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by admriker444

What is it that you base your statement upon please?

From personal experience in the game (are you actually playing? or using the Force?) I have:
    1) Seen tons of newbies in the noob cities.
    2) Seen my PA double in size in a week
    3) Seen formerly vacant areas become moderately crowded (particularly noob areas)
    4) Run into old friends who'd left the game who have come back to 'try out the CU'... about half of them like it and plan to stay, the other half dont and plan to re-cancel. The CU is kind of an on/off experience for us vets. It's a love it or hate it reaction. Either you will like it or you won't. I like it, as does everyone in my PA.

That said I haven't seen any stats yet. And relying on the server indicators is folly at best. Even when SWG was doing EXTREMELY well it was rare to see more than a couple servers (Bria in particular) even hit medium load. Right now I'm seeing Bria hit medium load almost every time I log in. About 2 months ago Bria was only showing 'medium' at peak time.

I'd say that there are lots of new players but without stats to back it up it's just my opinion based upon observation of large numbers of new players in the game, on my server...

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

Just checked Amazon and SWG: Total Experience is #12 in sales for the video game category.  That includes both PC and console games and accessories.

I enjoy reading posts by the people that buy MMORPGs at Amazon then write "This game sux, you ned internet 2 play it!"

Originally posted by Techpriest
    Just checked Amazon and SWG: Total Experience is #12 in sales for the video game category. That includes both PC and console games and accessories.
    I enjoy reading posts by the people that buy MMORPGs at Amazon then write "This game sux, you ned internet 2 play it!"

Now thats funny!

- Scaris

LOL
    Now that is funny :) Buy it ONLINE then complain that you got to play it ONLINE? :D

hmmm

However,
    I still think it sux that vet players got a lousy lizard and noobs are getting the BARC (By the way a standard swoop is faster than the BARC... I raced one yesterday and blew it away, the Barc is about as fast as a standard speederbike).

I feel jobbed... I'd love to drive a Barc. I drive my AB-1 all the time now just because it's a pleasant change from swoop/X-34 land :)

Sig image Pending

I am alittle dissapointed in the lizard. I wasn't that fond of it in the movie and its hard to watch while your riding in game cause it swaggers so badly. BUT, its a mount i normally couldn't have and it does have its redeeming qualities.

I went and bought Total Experience however cause I wanted the BARC that bad. Its abit slower then a swoop but its faster then a speeder and its terrain negotiation is really high. It goes uphill like a dream.

- Scaris

HEHE I'm gonna do the same :) Best Buy and I have a date tonight :)
    What can I say, I really want a BARC and I'm not willing to pay a couple mil to a noob for one. It's insane what some people are paying for those!!!

Sig image Pending

See, I think that's waht all the vets should be doing. Rather than paying millions for a BARC why not just drop $30 and get it yourself?