Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MO forum moderators react harshly to art criticism

thought i'd make a post here since obviously anything on the main forums gets deleted and this is the most public area for this sort of thing related to MO.

Well, take a gander at this thread: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/its-time-to-reign-in-these-stupid-art-decisions.104733/#post-1813020

Notice it was locked afterwards, the moderator who locked it claims the OP should "make another thread thats more respectful" which is of course, nowhere in the rules. But the moderator in question also banned the OP for a month. So he's intentionally misrepresenting the situation, OP cant repost it because he was banned. So not only do they lock threads, for criticizing the game's new art direction, but they ban and lie about it too! What a bunch of scumbags!

Not only that, but another thread that was made about forum censorship on those forums a month ago  was bumped at the time, and has been deleted despite standing for several months previously.

So this GM Galenus is a huge scumbag, therefore my account name. Fun fun.

Comments

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

These threads always amuse me: -

• Firstly I would agree with the OP's sentiment; the design was absurd in a 'realistic' game.  
    • Secondly, he made his point in a disrespectful manner, he could have worded it much better.  
    • Thirdly, I know nothing of this moderator, and the wording of the lock post is slightly misleading if the OP was banned; but only to the extent the lock post seemed to refer directly to the OP rather than a general statement about manners and common courtesy.  
    • Fourthly, a ban does seem like overkill.  
    They are my thoughts on the subject.  
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

To be frank nobody really cares about a moderators rant. 

They do not game the game

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Why do people come running here to post about other forum moderation?

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    With all the other issues with this game and company, heavy-handed forum moderation seems trivial.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• gmgalenusgmgalenus Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by PioneerStew

• Firstly I would agree with the OP's sentiment; the design was absurd in a 'realistic' game.  
    • Secondly, he made his point in a disrespectful manner, he could have worded it much better.  
    • Thirdly, I know nothing of this moderator, and the wording of the lock post is slightly misleading if the OP was banned; but only to the extent the lock post seemed to refer directly to the OP rather than a general statement about manners and common courtesy.  

Respect isn't something that should just be handed out like candy, especially not after a screw up of this magnitude with that art. One could also argue that the both the moderator's claiming that the thread wasn't constructive, when it obviously is in every sense of the word, and abusing his power to lock and ban the OP was very disrespectful in itself.

It's not just harsh wording that can be disrespectful, and harsh wording is defineltly very low down on the "disrespectful" meter.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

MO has been like this since day 1. Nothing new.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Bit off topic, but what is the state of the game?

I self identify as a monkey.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

So you create an account to come cry about forum moderation here? Who does that?

1) Post on your main account and stop creating accounts on here to whine.

2) The OP was extremely vulgar & disrespectful to an atrocious degree.

3) It's their game to do as they please. Don't like it? Don't play it. Vote with your wallets.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Pepeq

Because they're perspective on life is far too small ?

pretty inactive right now. people are waiting for a magic patch to fix everything, which it wont, it will only make the game worse then they will delete everything on the forums again that says so.

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874
    Originally posted by gmgalenus

Respect isn't something that should just be handed out like candy, especially not after a screw up of this magnitude with that art. One could also argue that the both the moderator's claiming that the thread wasn't constructive, when it obviously is in every sense of the word, and abusing his power to lock and ban the OP was very disrespectful in itself.

It's not just harsh wording that can be disrespectful, and harsh wording is defineltly very low down on the "disrespectful" meter.

My argument is this; if you have a valid point to make there are two ways you can do it: -

• You can state your opinion in a clear, concise and respectful manner and have your point noticed. 
    • Or you can rage about it, use expletives, name call; and you will have your manner of delivery noticed but your point will become lost.  
    Then again, these being gaming forums you will probably be flamed either way.  

EDIT: In fact these being gaming forums the polite and respectful point will probably be ignored and the expletive-ridden rage post will probably receive hundreds of replies.  I take my objection back.  
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Contrary  to what moderators tell you at some gaming forum,  official forums are NO PLACE to comment negatively on a game.  The game owns the forums and it is understandable they would delete/ban or remove you from posting.  MMORPG or some other third party gaming forum is where you go to criticize a game.  Most gamers still do not understand this.  Of course, if you are concerned about this third party forum receiving money for praising a certain game, well, that is a different issue. 
    Originally posted by Nevulus

So you create an account to come cry about forum moderation here? Who does that?

1) Post on your main account and stop creating accounts on here to whine.

2) The OP was extremely vulgar & disrespectful to an atrocious degree.

3) It's their game to do as they please. Don't like it? Don't play it. Vote with your wallets.

didnt already have an account here, so i made one. If you post with your main account on the main forums you get banned.

Vulgarity is allowed. most people on the forums agreed with that thread, a few curses in a game with full nudity shouldn't color your perception.

Originally posted by flizzer
    Contrary  to what moderators tell you at some gaming forum,  official forums are NO PLACE to comment negatively on a game.  The game owns the forums and it is understandable they would delete/ban or remove you from posting.  MMORPG or some other third party gaming forum is where you go to criticize a game.  Most gamers still do not understand this.  Of course, if you are concerned about this third party forum receiving money for praising a certain game, well, that is a different issue. 

Well this forum got to see that terrible art work and the criticism about it anyways right!

EDIT: In fact these being gaming forums the polite and respectful point will probably be ignored and the expletive-ridden rage post will probably receive hundreds of replies.  I take my objection back.  

My sides.  Well, another reason for a thread in that format can be entertainment value. When i read it, it was hilarious

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370

Moderation can be pretty rough on these forums too, depending on the moderator. Use of a particular four letter word could at times be accurate in describing the disrespectful actions that occur from time to time so you should take care in watching what you post. Also, if you feel a particular post is important to you and there is nothing harmful about it I suggest you keep a copy of it so that you can repost it in the event a mod feels otherwise and decides to delete it for no reason other than "they didn't like it". I've seen evidence of it happening and I've had it happen to me once.

Other than that, just be courteous and respectful of others and you should be fine.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

Originally posted by Blaze_Rocker

Moderation can be pretty rough on these forums too, depending on the moderator. Use of a particular four letter word could at times be accurate in describing the disrespectful actions that occur from time to time so you should take care in watching what you post. Also, if you feel a particular post is important to you and there is nothing harmful about it I suggest you keep a copy of it so that you can repost it in the event a mod feels otherwise and decides to delete it for no reason other than "they didn't like it". I've seen evidence of it happening and I've had it happen to me once.

Other than that, just be courteous and respectful of others and you should be fine.

The MMORPG forums have different rules which i dont believe im violating, i dont have anything to criticize the MMORPG staff for. yet i guess?

posts on the MO forums dissapear all the time, it's really bad practice. There's never a reason to delete a post unless it's ad spam, it's what locks are for.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Was curious so opened the link and.... agree with the mod on this.  The OP on MO forums was completely disrespectful and want things his way.  Well if that's the case then fucking that fucking OP needs to fucking get off his fucking ass and fucking get a fucking job in his fucking wasteful life and fucking code and fucking design the fucking game.

But really this is why I avoid PvP centric games.  The community tends to be the most ill mannered immature group of asshole players.

Well that OP apparently has no job since anyone who held or holds one that is of merit knows that tact goes a long way when criticizing someone.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

The MMORPG forums have different rules which i dont believe im violating, i dont have anything to criticize the MMORPG staff for. yet i guess?

posts on the MO forums dissapear all the time, it's really bad practice. There's never a reason to delete a post unless it's ad spam, it's what locks are for.

And yet the link you showed us is completely disrespectful and anywhere in any MMO forum a thread like that would be locked.  Right know your asking people to take your word but you creditility is non-existent with the thread you linked.  Show us a constructive respectful thread that was locked and OP was banned.

Originally posted by furbans

Was curious so opened the link and.... agree with the mod on this.  The OP on MO forums was completely disrespectful and want things his way.  Well if that's the case then fucking that fucking OP needs to fucking get off his fucking ass and fucking get a fucking job in his fucking wasteful life and fucking code and fucking design the fucking game.

But really this is why I avoid PvP centric games.  The community tends to be the most ill mannered immature group of asshole players.

Well that OP apparently has no job since anyone who held or holds one that is of merit knows that tact goes a long way when criticizing someone.

the irony is amazing.

Anyways, OP was doing them a favor. Nobody needs to make a post trying to help you not screw up your game.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Posting about the moderation on other sites is against the rules here so, you've already violated them with your first post :) This one will probably disappear too depending on who finds it first.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

All of Mattk's posts are like that. Ooooh, one got locked? Maybe he should act like less of a dick and be more constructive.

Just sayin'... 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Pepeq

Because they're perspective on life is far too small ?

I see so many of your posts here remarking on things just as small and trivial Damonville ;)

Originally posted by Loktofeit

All of Mattk's posts are like that. Ooooh, one got locked? Maybe he should act like less of a dick and be more constructive.

Just sayin'... 

Did you read the thread? It was constructive, it detailed every problem with the model, provided examples, and suggested a course of action.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This is not the place to drag over forum drama from other sites, especially when others can't speak for themselves here and it becomes more of a bash thread. In any case, we decide these on a case by case basis, and there's not much substance here other than venting about what's happening on the other site.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.