Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I heard that the Combat Upgrade was a mistake.

I heard that the combat upgrade was a mistake, what do you think?

Comments

• TurielTuriel Member Posts: 44

dont open pandoras box, if you get my meaning

• SinisterCBSinisterCB Member Posts: 302
    That would be an understatement.

"I'm not a racist...I only hate stupid people..."-SinisterCB

• JimudJimud Member Posts: 252
    Lets never talk about this subject,ever!!
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295

Combat revamp was a necessity.

It was a mistake to push it onto the live servers too early by far, with inadequate quality assurance testing, bug fixing and a heavy handed approach to user comments. It also would have helped to add the promised Alpha Testing ("Sandbox") phase before going onto "open beta" on the test servers.

But deadlines and pressure from marketing prevailed over proper project management. /sigh

However, the game is slowly getting back on track again and me and my friends enjoy it.

Have fun

Erillion

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780

It seems to me that a lot of the mistakes SoE makes are because of poor management. The people actually working on the games seem to listen...its just their bosses wont always let them do what they want.

• Xisrin-OnnyxXisrin-Onnyx Member Posts: 25
    I see.
  • JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642
    I am a living breathing mistake of SOE  - and I too agree.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by Jimud

:stands with Jimud and sighs.

They won't listen.  It's hard to listen when the mouth is running.  And they're under the impression it's trendy to personally attack people they've never met about things they don't understand.

/lick

• JimudJimud Member Posts: 252

Originally posted by azhrarn

They won't listen.  It's hard to listen when the mouth is running.  And they're under the impression it's trendy to personally attack people they've never met about things they don't understand.

/lick

ok i understand all that accept the /lick lol
  • azhrarnazhrarn Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by azhrarn

/lick

ok i understand all that accept the /lick lol

I was being nice.  Would you like me to smack you around instead?  <grin>

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Honest answer:

Some people love the CU

Some people hate the CU

Some people like both ways.

The CU was necessary but rushed by marketting so they could get Rage of the Wookies out in time for EPIII's release.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• Xisrin-OnnyxXisrin-Onnyx Member Posts: 25
    hm...
  • RavenStJRavenStJ Member Posts: 309

the cu is to gaming as britney is to music.. looks good .. but is shit..

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Anyone who experienced the old system knew that something had to change. Being a one man mass extinction event on Dathomir wasn't my idea of a balanced system.

Did SOE need to make such drastic changes? IMO, no, but overall the CU is an improvement. The challenge that I view for SOE will be improving the system, rathering then swinging the 'Nerf Bat' back and forth as they've done in the past.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• JadiaJadia Member Posts: 62

It differs with person to person. 

For me, CU was a huge mistake and I have since stopped playing SWG.  I didn't sell off my creds and my account though, with hopes that perhaps they will "fix" things.  I guess was pissed me off was that I was a dancer and they didn't address the uselessness that the CU caused them.  I tried going combat but the system was sh*t.

That's just my opinion, I'm sure there are folks out there who love the CU.

• Paladin101Paladin101 Member Posts: 187

All i know is the old system was crap in a hat. I remeber shooting through hills and killing things far beyond my skill. The old system was terrible, too confusing for new players and needed a change to be more like the other MMO's out there. IDK if the CU did that because i havent played it, all i know is i left SWG for the shitty combat and low amount of imperial/rebel customization. It seems that they made storm troopers a viable path and the war seems more unique on both sides.... something WoW needs to learn as well.

• keltic1701keltic1701 Member Posts: 1,162

Originally posted by Jadia

It differs with person to person. 
    For me, CU was a huge mistake and I have since stopped playing SWG.  I didn't sell off my creds and my account though, with hopes that perhaps they will "fix" things.  I guess was pissed me off was that I was a dancer and they didn't address the uselessness that the CU caused them.  I tried going combat but the system was sh*t.
    That's just my opinion, I'm sure there are folks out there who love the CU.

I was the same Jadia. Even after trying to adapt to a shyt game, I was just so pissed off at what was done to SWG that I just closed down! Didn't give or sell anything to anyone. Even though I agree that some changes were needed for combat, SOE's solution was like using a club when all that was needed was a screwdriver. SWG is dead as far as I'm concerned
  • TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Originally posted by Kane

It seems to me that a lot of the mistakes SoE makes are because of poor management. The people actually working on the games seem to listen...its just their bosses wont always let them do what they want.

If you're going to attack a company for management decisions then you have to include Lucasarts as well.  SOE is the developer of the game, they code it, the manage the subsciptions, and they handle customer service, but it is a Lucasarts game.  Ultimately, Lucasarts has the final say regarding SWG.  I'm not bashing Lucasarts or trying to be a SOE "fanboi" but please use some discretion and common sense.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• KaneKane Member Posts: 780
    That is very true. It seems that the CU being pushed out too soon was due to pressure from LucasArts...at least from where I'm sitting. So anyway...regardless...it seems to be management issues from both SOE and LA that are messing things up in this case. I'd have a hard time blaming the programmers. No programmer I know likes to push out buggy software...hell, most of them dont want others touching it THEN until its PERFECT.
  • MSCavMSCav Member UncommonPosts: 141

It was a horrible mistake and not neccassary at all. They could have left the original system in and tweaked the game (as they said they would do).

Every game needs to be fixed but the total overhaul of the game was not needed. THose who think it did need the complete overhaul were basically players who did not put in the time and effort like many who did.

Cav, Senior Commander Midnight Squadron.  midnightsquadron.com
  • ScorpesScorpes Member Posts: 830
     Its simple really, They alienated their most dedicated and loyal fanbase/subscribers in the hopes to appease new players to join. If you want to join a game in which the management holds its players in such contempt and disregard then SOE is the perfect game for you.
  • zoey121zoey121 Member Posts: 926

Nut shell  time; pub 17 servers down 24  hours pluss some servers had multilpe outages downtimes rollbacks ( more noticable if not already still grinding)

Bugs bugs and more bugs, little to no communication from developers on still very serious issues

With despawning missions, dissappearing misions, some servers chat lag tells guild chat,

serious targeting issues, finding on level content since most of the caves are cl level 30 ish

the game needs tons of works and Pve has some serious issues. Many proffessions not working as intended, and basic parts of game play well broke

If there were several up and comming patches soley dedicated to bug fixing and patch notes included on what was addressed, it would go a long way to calm folks down.....

On flip side 5 servers now with medium population as of Sunday afternoon, and some servers seeing influx of new folks, ( either migrating from other non busy servers to busy servers or newbes)

They have some major fence mending to do at this stage, if the fence mending isn't done then in 3 - 4 months time we will see if the newbes stay or leave, the verdict still out but the clock is ticking on serious unfinished bugs.............

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

My summary as of now:
    Hated the CU the first day but decided to give it an honest try and get used to it.

Took me about 3 days to really adjust and start learning the new system once I did I found it is actually a lot better (to me) than the old system. I do miss being able to use different kinds of weapons to do different types of damage to creatures that resist one type or another but that's minor.

Problems:
    The 3 biggies:

• As others have mentioned the bugs with missions have GOT to be fixed. And fixed ASAP
    • As others have also mentioned the warrens, caves, bunker and corvette need attention as the CL of the critters/droids/npc's in those areas are way off. Warrens can be solo'd with ease right now since nothing will attack a CL80 player (everything is below CL65 in there). Corvette is way overgunned with CL125 Battle Droids that kill anything but a Jedi in one hit. Caves are crap with CL30 and below in there.
    • Entertainer "too far away" bug needs attention. This one should be a VERY easy fix that would make a LOT of people less unhappy.

Overall:
    I actually like the CU right now (aside from the bugs). They need to put Double XP back in again until they get the mission issues fixed. It's truely aggravating to travel to a mission and start fighting to find the entire area has despawned after you kill the first critter/npc. Some missions everything is grey con (which sucks). Only about 50% of missions work properly and there's no rhyme or reason as to why.

If they fix the missions and the CL issues with areas that are too low or too high the game will be fine. Overall the CU was necessary (And yes, I am a vet player) but it was definitely rushed. Obvious bugs like missions and such should have been fixed before release. I blame marketting for that, not the Devs.

And, as others have repeatedly pointed out, for ever vet that's left we've seen at least 2 new players join the game on my server.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• elledanelledan Member Posts: 56

any game that is revampted needs time to get used to. vet players will allways complain but thats to be expected. all i care about is if the combat is better now that its been updated, bugs aside. allso i want the new players to comment on it.vets will allways be biast to change on something they've mastered.

• poizenviperpoizenviper Member Posts: 67

all i can say about the cu is this. i know of ..... lets see over 230 accounts that quit becouse of the cu.

you will hear both sides  ( sucks ) or  other side ( it was needed ) i was an oct of 03 player, I left becouse i enjoyed crafting. The level system made crafting a joke. go play and find out yourself. personally i left the game.  My friends list went from over 100 to about 5 within a month of the cu release..

its just a game. but i dont pay to beta test something.  enjoy .......