Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WS v. ESO - Which one Failed Less/ Succeeded More?

13»

Comments

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by maybebaked
    What mmorpg released in the last 5 years isn't considered a "failure"?

I believe the short list is gw2, FFXIV and Tera.  Gw2 launched with a ton of hype that it could never really live up to but mildly disappointing is not failure.  FFXIV has successfully built a solid subscription player base.  Tera despite all it's issues is now clocking in a number three world wide behind WoW and L1.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by reeereee

I believe the short list is gw2, FFXIV and Tera.  Gw2 launched with a ton of hype that it could never really live up to but mildly disappointing is not failure.  FFXIV has successfully built a solid subscription player base.  Tera despite all it's issues is now clocking in a number three world wide behind WoW and L1.

And SWTOR has more players in the west than all of the MMOs you mentioned (except for WoW obviously). How is that also not a "success"? If you are planning on bringing up its initial issues, SWTOR's F2P conversion and subsequent expansions have had a bigger posative turn around for the game as a whole than AAR did for FFXIV.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Both failed miserably in my eyes.  Could care less about the business side.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• MsPtibiscuitMsPtibiscuit Member Posts: 164

You can't know, things you are reading here are interpretations. Here's mine

ESO just laid off some of their staff, this is generally a sign a of slightly-declining MMOs ("midly successful" MMOs, like GW2 and FF:XIV did not lay off a part of their staff after release).

Wildstar just added the Megaserver tech' which show signs of , but there's always a decline in players after 2 or 3 months after release (ESO had the same decline and had to drasticly reduce the number of Cyrodiil campaigns)

In my opinion, both will have to change their business models, and this will end the era of WoW-clone MMOs. We'll see what happens to the future sandbox MMOs.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don't think the last word have been said about either game.

In ESOs case is it pretty clear that the PC version could have performed better (they should have delayed the launch a few months) but frankly have the Elder scrolls games done better on console, at least the last 2. If the console version do well then Zenimax is set. If it flops they are in trouble.

As for WS, the guy who quit had dealt with cancer lately so just saying he quit because WS underperformed is not very fair. MMOs tend to get less updates a while after release (not so much that needs tweaking) and I have no clue why they didn't had megaservers from launch. The important thing for them is to start attracting new players when the freshness of a newly released game is gone. That might or might not work, lets wait and see.

MMOs are a living thing, don't count them out until a year after release unless they fired half their employees or so.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Loke666

I don't think the last word have been said about either game.

In ESOs case is it pretty clear that the PC version could have performed better (they should have delayed the launch a few months) but frankly have the Elder scrolls games done better on console, at least the last 2. If the console version do well then Zenimax is set. If it flops they are in trouble.

As for WS, the guy who quit had dealt with cancer lately so just saying he quit because WS underperformed is not very fair. MMOs tend to get less updates a while after release (not so much that needs tweaking) and I have no clue why they didn't had megaservers from launch. The important thing for them is to start attracting new players when the freshness of a newly released game is gone. That might or might not work, lets wait and see.

MMOs are a living thing, don't count them out until a year after release unless they fired half their employees or so.

Yes, it is a rumor but they have found a new president to run both Carbine and Zenimax. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by NightHaveN
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by reeereee

And SWTOR has more players in the west than all of the MMOs you mentioned (except for WoW obviously). How is that also not a "success"? If you are planning on bringing up its initial issues, SWTOR's F2P conversion and subsequent expansions have had a bigger posative turn around for the game as a whole than AAR did for FFXIV.

I also believe that.  I play SWTOR on a part time basis, and had looked at different servers and both factions, and fleet are full of people, and you find a lot of lvl 55 players around.  And the only two ways to get to 55 is either by subscription, or to pay for The Hutt Cartel expansion.

And that's not counting the shop items that you see around just everywhere.

The only thing keeping me going full time with SWTOR is actually Disney and their policy with their SW IP.   Because they already announced they have no interest in any other part of the IP, except for the one involved in the new movies.  That means when the contract is over, bye bye SWTOR.  Just in the same way they canceled The Clone Wars tv show and Star Wars 1313.

The contract is for 10 years...I dont think you should worry about investing in SWTOR :P

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    To be honest Wildstar with its action combat may have done well on the console. People using a controller may actually enjoy the game more.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by NightHaveN
     Because they already announced they have no interest in any other part of the IP, except for the one involved in the new movies.  That means when the contract is over, bye bye SWTOR.  Just in the same way they canceled The Clone Wars tv show and Star Wars 1313.

That's weird.. because.. I thought there was this new series coming out... called Star Wars Rebels... which does not take place in any of the new movies but between Episodes III and IV.. but that can't be right if what you're saying is correct.... oh wait.. you're not.

Assume...

I wish people would fact check themselves before blindly posting idiocy for the world to see. 

Especially considering THIS is what Lucas Arts was about to release... that's right.  Thank GOD Disney put a stop to that one.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by kitarad
    To be honest Wildstar with its action combat may have done well on the console. People using a controller may actually enjoy the game more.

I agree. imho the best thing they did with WS was the combat. It has a great flow to it and I love just killing stuff. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Both failed. Archeage will fail as well. The future of the MMO genre looks bleak.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    Both failed. Archeage will fail as well. The future of the MMO genre looks bleak.

If WS, ESO and AA were our only choices in MMOs I would agree.  Luckily they aren't.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

This discussion has been closed.