Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why all the Wildstar Hate?

Comments

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by Shodanas

Wildstar failed because it is a mediocre game based on old school and aged mechanics, with a non existent both literally and metaphorically IP released in an over-saturated market. 

The rest about players being used to WoW's "faceroll" PvE and thus not capable of appreciating Wildstar's end game "greatness" is utter BS. 

I wonder how many of the WS crowd have cleared WoW's heroic content in a timely manner. Or how many of them have ever participated in 2K + arenas PvP. 

What "old school and aged" mechanics is wildstar using?  Interupts, crowd control, don't stand in the bad, enrage timers...  What mechanics do you prefer?  I can't think of any mechanics that exist in any other game. 

A good portion of people do like the "faceroll" mechanics of WoWs LFR, which is why Blizzard added LFR to begin with because only a small percentage of players could complete normal modes let alone heroic mode content. 

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    I think it's indifference or disappointment in wildstars case. Not really "hate"

indifference for me. 

Besides its hard for me to say anything about this game because all I can think of when I see it is saturday morning cartoons and that enrages the player base so I try to leave it alone.

At least W* is trying something different. I'd rather have bright colors than more games that look like they chose their color pallette based on a men's room stall in the NYC Subway system. ;)

Yes, the game took a lot of chances and some of them didn't pan out, but I don't think the art style is one of them.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Honestly, WS was the first game ever, that i downloaded for 2 hours and uninstalled after less then a minute of gameplay.

That is, because the game wanted me to go in THAT direction but i wanted to jump over the rim.

I enjoy freedom and barely watch TV.

Its not hate, its just not my game.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Linear questing, cartoon graphics, raiding endgame, characters and story wanting to be funny, dungeon finder, level and gear based system..? Sounds familiar?

The only things that is different from WoW is action combat (sort of) and lack of end game for casual crowd (that's what people tell me). The game itself is very well made and polished, but it's too close of what we already have, love it or hate it.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by Alverant

At least W* is trying something different. I'd rather have bright colors than more games that look like they chose their color pallette based on a men's room stall in the NYC Subway system. ;)

Yes, the game took a lot of chances and some of them didn't pan out, but I don't think the art style is one of them.

Different? It's literally just copying  the artstyle of the most popular MMO around.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Imho hate is based on how much time it takes to have a new release of a mmo. Then the hate ends and start counting for the new mmo. ESO hate ended almost after the release of WS and WS hate will end a bit after AA launch etc

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• EveIsStillBetterEveIsStillBetter Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by cheyane

I believe people are threatened by the art style. One guy has been to every Wildstar thread calling it a cartoon. It must really bug him that everyone one of his posts are only to complain about Wildstar. Odd that a game which if you choose to you can basically ignore has garnered this much hate. That his account was created today just to troll Wildstar. They must be doing something right if people are so invested in their hate to make an account to troll every single thread.

For me I enjoyed the game but the mouse turn coupled with the constant action combat got the better of my old bones.

Just to correct you , I called it a Playable Cartoon..  

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by iridescence

Different? It's literally just copying  the artstyle of the most popular MMO around.

Didn't the games share the same lead artist?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768

I dont think is hate, but more like disappointment, the main reason is due to the own developers attitude, they filled their lungs with hot air to scream to all the world : "THIS GAME IS FOR HARDCORE ONLY", well that came back to bite them in their donkeys, you as a developer cannot be so narrow minded that you miss the point that the vast majority of players are casual and semi-hardcores.

They shot themselves in their own foot and I think a lot of those who were discriminated by the developers are glad that the game has not performed as the developers expected, to me, I played the Beta and I like it, but couldnt take the huge numbers, the excessive double kill, triple kill stuff on my screen.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

Originally posted by mayito7777

I dont think is hate, but more like disappointment, the main reason is due to the own developers attitude, they filled their lungs with hot air to scream to all the world : "THIS GAME IS FOR HARDCORE ONLY", well that came back to bite them in their donkeys, you as a developer cannot be so narrow minded that you miss the point that the vast majority of players are casual and semi-hardcores.

They shot themselves in their own foot and I think a lot of those who were discriminated by the developers are glad that the game has not performed as the developers expected, to me, I played the Beta and I like it, but couldnt take the huge numbers, the excessive double kill, triple kill stuff on my screen.

That was never really what they said, if you watch their dev diary where they claim to have "the best MMO you'll play this year". They state plainly this game was made for everyone. Basically correcting the idea that this game was just for the hardcore.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I can't disagree with you that it does get a lot of hate. The biggest reason, in my opinion, is that it doesn't scale well. The barrier to entry for new players is skill, which is just never a good thing. 

Basically, Wildstar says, "Go cut your teeth on another game and come back when you're ready to 'Hang with the Big Boys'". Problem is that you're basically shooing them away right into the arms of another game, they play through it, become invested in the world, story, etc.and they stick around for weeks, months, years. 

Additionally, you get behemoths like WoW who can just add an additional difficulty level (like the upcoming Mythic) and the basis of your entire game (that it's only for hardcore) is now your worst enemy because the status associated with completing Mythic in WoW over anything in Wildstar will, undoubtedly, be a bigger feather in your cap any day of the week. 

I think that there is definitely a problem with spoon-feeding gamers these days. Dumbing down of WoW breaks my heart every hour I play. However, that doesn't mean that you cater to the 5%, you need to serve your majority. That's simply not the "hardcore". I don't even think that a move to F2P would solve the problems for Wildstar, they need to scale their difficulty better.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

I believe people are threatened by the art style.

I know, that's a complaint nearly all the haters have. But for me it's a perk. I'm tired of games spending millions to make them look "realistic" and think that money can be better spent improving the game play. And even with all that money the games still look gritty and dirty and depressing. I saw clips from other fantasy games and they left me wondering why people would want to save such a drab world in the first place. When will people realize you don't need fancy pants graphics to make a good game?

Originally posted by iridescence

I've seen WoW and don't see the resemblance. What I have seen are other "realistic" games coping each other like how ESO copied the style of Neverwinter.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by Distopia

That was never really what they said, if you watch their dev diary where they claim to have "the best MMO you'll play this year". They state plainly this game was made for everyone. Basically correcting the idea that this game was just for the hardcore.

I dont know right now, but in the beginning, you couldnt post in the forums without the "hardcore" crow harrassing the no-hardcore players and telling them to leave the game and to go and play something else because and I quote "even the devs have said this game is only for hardcores". But anyway to each its own.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

The OP goes on about why all the hate and yet calls GW2 a fail because it doesn't suit him...... being a hypocrite much?

WS deserves the hate its receiving, people forsaw the shortcomings back in beta that others were blinded by the "Ohhhh SHINEY!!!" which every new MMO goes through.

Originally posted by Distopia

I dont know right now, but in the beginning, you couldnt post in the forums without the "hardcore" crow harrassing the no-hardcore players and telling them to leave the game and to go and play something else because and I quote "even the devs have said this game is only for hardcores". But anyway to each its own.

I think that speaks more to my point,  players kind of put that idea out there, rather than the devs themselves, say anything enough and it becomes the perception, true or not.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I've seen WoW and don't see the resemblance. What I have seen are other "realistic" games coping each other like how ESO copied the style of Neverwinter.

To me it looks very similar with a lot of things exaggerated and like oversized weapons and things but I didn't play it very long at all or do an in-depth comparison or anything was just the impression was very similar.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Mostly it's just par for the course around here.

Hype things to the heavens pre-release, rip them apart post.

There's nothing the internet herd likes better than bleating the word "Failure" in unison.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    The hate seems par for the course for me. Many of the people who hang here hype a game and ignore reality and then spend their time trashing the game as much as possible.
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Because internet.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Spankster77
    Originally posted by Shodanas

Wildstar failed because it is a mediocre game based on old school and aged mechanics, with a non existent both literally and metaphorically IP released in an over-saturated market. 

The rest about players being used to WoW's "faceroll" PvE and thus not capable of appreciating Wildstar's end game "greatness" is utter BS. 

I wonder how many of the WS crowd have cleared WoW's heroic content in a timely manner. Or how many of them have ever participated in 2K + arenas PvP. 

What "old school and aged" mechanics is wildstar using?  Interupts, crowd control, don't stand in the bad, enrage timers...  What mechanics do you prefer?  I can't think of any mechanics that exist in any other game. 

A good portion of people do like the "faceroll" mechanics of WoWs LFR, which is why Blizzard added LFR to begin with because only a small percentage of players could complete normal modes let alone heroic mode content. 

ACTUALLY... they added the LFR for people to see the content first and foremost.  People make claims like yours to justify how their MMO is better than WoW.  Loot was a by product, but first and foremost it was to allow everyone access to all the content to experience it if they so chose to without relying on a laborious guild process that most could not commit to.  If one was driven by challenge and gear then that's what the normal and heroics were for.  And quite frankly everyone is going to take the easier route, its human nature.

And its not because people can't complete normals and heoric, it was the time effort involved that deterred many away.  I am some of the most skilled players but I don't raid because the commitment involved was to consuming when people don't have time for a 2nd job with RL.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Phry
    Is there all that much hate for Wildstar, i know people were commenting on the low numbers on the servers, but not sure how that translates into being hate for the game. But this seems to be a common theme, after a certain amount of time, particularly if a game isn't doing too well, we start getting threads asking why the hate. Anyway, afaik Wildstar hasn't been singled out in any way as part of some hate campaign, and in reference to WoW, about the only time i've heard it discussed, and i think it was Jesse Cox at the time on his youtube channel, was that playing Wildstar made him feel like playing WoW again. But i think its a bit of an epic fail to blame other games for perceived slights, especially when they don't really seem to exist.image

Agree.

The forums are so quiet it is very hard to see this "mountain" of hate the OP refers to. 

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    I believe people are threatened by the art style. One guy has been to every Wildstar thread calling it a cartoon. It must really bug him that everyone one of his posts are only to complain about Wildstar. Odd that a game which if you choose to you can basically ignore has garnered this much hate.

I am curious.  How does one feel threatened by graphics? 

Admittedly, I am one who does not like Wildstar's cartoony art style and I've commented as much on two threads "today." A review of my posting history, however, will show that these are the only two threads about Wildstar I have ever posted in, and I did so today because they were both inquiring as to why players are adverse to the game and I sought to be consistent in my opinion on both threads.  I, however, do not hate Wildstar nor would I ever hate any game.  But let me set the record straight so that this does not come back to bite me in the backside, it is not so much the cartoony graphics that does not appeal to me as much as the art style.  I am not adverse to cartoony graphics as I understand most MMORPGs have cartoony graphics to some degree.  The loud wonky cartoony art style in Wildstar is just a bit over the top for me though, but that's just a personal preference and the reason I did not even give it a whirl.  Some people like it, some people don't.  Nothing more, nothing less.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by furbans

The OP goes on about why all the hate and yet calls GW2 a fail because it doesn't suit him...... being a hypocrite much?

WS deserves the hate its receiving, people forsaw the shortcomings back in beta that others were blinded by the "Ohhhh SHINEY!!!" which every new MMO goes through.

This is how this site works mostly. People often forget their own posting history before making such hypocritical topics.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

The assumption that endgame=raiding is probably the issue here. Wildstar has raiding. But it still lacks endgame outside of that. In the same way that all the other games you listed were out of balance, so is Wildstar. Just the fact that we saw players capping within days of release, tells me they didn't stay true to the initial EQ1 / WoW formula.