Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Firefall: Turning Their Fate Around

2

Comments

  • QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 656
    Originally posted by Gdemami
    The amount of attention and oddly positive appraisal  this lackluskter/fail game gets on this site is ridiculous...

    Perhaps "lackluster/fail" is only "your opinion" and the reason it gets such good reviews and so much attention is because not everyone shares "your opinion" and in actuality, it's a good game?

     

    I know that a lot of folks, like myself, are enjoying it quite a bit. Red5 is doing a very nice job in "my opinion"

    www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,711
    Patched it up but still have to give it a proper replay since all the changes. definitely sounds like they went in the right direction though. The sandbox approach they originally had didn't really work since there was no sand in the sandbox. Or anything really...

    image
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,322
    Originally posted by ITPalg
    I wonder if these people that call it lackluster have even gone to Devil's Tusk, have participated in Chosen incursions, have participated in the Orbital Communications Tower event, have participated in many of the dynamic events that do not appear on the map, etc.

    Still doesn't change the fact that Firefall is basically Defiance with manga-level of jumping

     

    Don't get me wrong, it is better than Defiance... but it is still what it is

  • raapnaapraapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 419

    Tried it a long time ago in some beta stage of the game. The world was small and entirely empty, although what little there was there, worked and was not too buggy.

     

    Then I remember jumping ship when they 'revamped crafting' into this endless grind of breakable gear that took large amounts of effort to make in an attempt to make the game seem like it had content when in reality all it had was thumping.

     

    That's a while ago. Has the game changed much since then? Edit: I got my answer on the forums. Looks like they completely turned away from sandbox/freeform play and remade it into a typical quest grinder. Going to have to pass.

     
     
  • ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by raapnaap
    Tried it a long time ago in some beta stage of the game. The world was small and entirely empty, although what little there was there, worked and was not too buggy.   Then I remember jumping ship when they 'revamped crafting' into this endless grind of breakable gear that took large amounts of effort to make in an attempt to make the game seem like it had content when in reality all it had was thumping.   That's a while ago. Has the game changed much since then? Edit: I got my answer on the forums. Looks like they completely turned away from sandbox/freeform play and remade it into a typical quest grinder. Going to have to pass.    

     

    Sigh...

    Once again, just because the job board exists, doesn't mean you must do it all.

    It does give some side/back story to the game and characters.

    Eve Online didn't start out expansive either. It was quite limited when it began. It too has PVE mission grinds that are purely optional.

     

     

     

    twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

  • blazebroblazebro Member Posts: 2
    You're wrong, because there is no such feature.
  • BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 198

    When did fail become a quality instead of an action? I mean fail is still a verb right?

  • KotowaruKotowaru Member UncommonPosts: 2

    it was great in closed beta.i even paid to play it afte ri tried it out in a beta weekend. then it was about having never ending fun, no matter what you did. Chosen, thumping, exploring and even some missions were all great. And no matter your level, gear, experience and even if you just started a minute ago you could go and participate in anything anywhere without problem. THAT is a great game.

    Now it's just a pile a garbage. A pile of grindy garbage just like majority of every other MMO ever created in this universe and in your mom.  

    Such sadness

  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,004


    Originally posted by QuicksandPerhaps "lackluster/fail" is only "your opinion" and the reason it gets such good reviews and so much attention is because not everyone shares "your opinion" and in actuality, it's a good game? I know that a lot of folks, like myself, are enjoying it quite a bit. Red5 is doing a very nice job in "my opinion"

    It is a financial failure by all means.
    It is a lackluster as the game is lacking any development direction for past 2 years.

    If you actually read the reviews, they are not positive at all...except this site - like the title of the article, ridiculous spin.


    I never said the game is not or can't be fun. On the contrary, I give credit where it is due - the core, the shooter, art and polish, all is very well done, however it cannot substitute for incompetent design team/lead.

    It is a pity.

  • ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Kotowaru
    it was great in closed beta.i even paid to play it afte ri tried it out in a beta weekend. then it was about having never ending fun, no matter what you did. Chosen, thumping, exploring and even some missions were all great. And no matter your level, gear, experience and even if you just started a minute ago you could go and participate in anything anywhere without problem. THAT is a great game. Now it's just a pile a garbage. A pile of grindy garbage just like majority of every other MMO ever created in this universe and in your mom.   Such sadness

     

    How is "leveling up" your CPU, Mass, and Power contraints any different?

    You couldn't unlock other advanced frames without maxing that frame out and getting 10 pilot tokens just like it is now.

    twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

  • DamonVileDamonVile Member CommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by ITPalg
    Originally posted by Kotowaru
    it was great in closed beta.i even paid to play it afte ri tried it out in a beta weekend. then it was about having never ending fun, no matter what you did. Chosen, thumping, exploring and even some missions were all great. And no matter your level, gear, experience and even if you just started a minute ago you could go and participate in anything anywhere without problem. THAT is a great game. Now it's just a pile a garbage. A pile of grindy garbage just like majority of every other MMO ever created in this universe and in your mom.   Such sadness

     

    How is "leveling up" your CPU, Mass, and Power contraints any different?

    You couldn't unlock other advanced frames without maxing that frame out and getting 10 pilot tokens just like it is now.

    Not true. You got pilot tokens along the way leveling before and could level multiple frames to a much lower level to get the 10 you needed to to unlock another frame before.

    Now you have no choice but to take a frame to max or buy the unlock.

    It was however always grindy. you just got to grind anywhere you wanted to instead of the specific part of the zone they force you into now.

  • LegendCarissoLegendCarisso Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    Originally posted by Gdemami
    The amount of attention and oddly positive appraisal  this lackluskter/fail game gets on this site is ridiculous...

    I know right? I really liked the idea that gears could totally break in this game and then looked at the cash shop, found out we can avoid that by paying. total fail for me. stopped playing within an hour. 

    Uh..... so... nowhere in the last two years could you pay money to stop your gear from breaking, not even with the perma-breaking. If it broke as in you ran out of your repair pool, it was broke. End of story. No premium quick-fix solutions then, and no premium solutions now that perma-break is gone. You spend in-game earned currency (Crystite) to repair your gear... and it's pretty cheap too. 800cy for full gear repair is the worst I've seen so far.

  • ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by ITPalg
    Originally posted by Kotowaru
    it was great in closed beta.i even paid to play it afte ri tried it out in a beta weekend. then it was about having never ending fun, no matter what you did. Chosen, thumping, exploring and even some missions were all great. And no matter your level, gear, experience and even if you just started a minute ago you could go and participate in anything anywhere without problem. THAT is a great game. Now it's just a pile a garbage. A pile of grindy garbage just like majority of every other MMO ever created in this universe and in your mom.   Such sadness

     

    How is "leveling up" your CPU, Mass, and Power contraints any different?

    You couldn't unlock other advanced frames without maxing that frame out and getting 10 pilot tokens just like it is now.

    Not true. You got pilot tokens along the way leveling before and could level multiple frames to a much lower level to get the 10 you needed to to unlock another frame before.

    Now you have no choice but to take a frame to max or buy the unlock.

    It was however always grindy. you just got to grind anywhere you wanted to instead of the specific part of the zone they force you into now.

     

    I remember having to get to the end before getting a new frame. I know the process was changed a couple times during my beta experience.

    twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

  • DamonVileDamonVile Member CommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by ITPalg
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by ITPalg
     

     

    How is "leveling up" your CPU, Mass, and Power contraints any different?

    You couldn't unlock other advanced frames without maxing that frame out and getting 10 pilot tokens just like it is now.

    Not true. You got pilot tokens along the way leveling before and could level multiple frames to a much lower level to get the 10 you needed to to unlock another frame before.

    Now you have no choice but to take a frame to max or buy the unlock.

    It was however always grindy. you just got to grind anywhere you wanted to instead of the specific part of the zone they force you into now.

     

    I remember having to get to the end before getting a new frame. I know the process was changed a couple times during my beta experience.

    The only time you had to do that in beta was when it was the horizontal progression system. You had to get to the end of two lines to unlock one of the advanced frames. But you could do that in about an hour of play around a thumper. That was way back when they were going to have 5 tiers.

    The pilot token system only required it if you needed the 2 tokens from the end and didn't want to lvl another accord frame.

  • booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289

    I've been with them since January 2012 at the beginning of CBT and loved what they were doing with the game. The learning curve was tremendously steep but that was part of the challenge and you ended up being social by asking questions. Once I got around to learning how crafting affected game play with the constraint system a whole new world of possibilities opened up and then started experimenting with load outs and it took up a lot of my time in-game and I found that low level resources were just as valuable as high level resources.

     

    People would come around my thumper and say, "You're so stupid, why are you thumping Q^001 Iron?!" I would just laugh and ask if they wanted in. They would pass then I would hoard up all the Q^001 resources and use them for crafting. Only real crafters can understand the value of a low level resource in FireFalls better crafting system. The problem was that people did not want to take the time to learn it. Even when I give my time to explain not many of them wanted to understand.

     

    I don't know what happened during my time in there but it seemed like there was a mass influx of gamers that needed instant gratification. They set fire to the forums and R5 bent over. Loot drops increased then crafters lost an edge in the market because people were throwing up their loot on the AH at prices crafters couldn't even compete with without taking a loss. More PvE content was pushed out and PvP took a back seat in development. They swore Item decay would stay and the instant gratification gamers began to cry, R5 bent and took it back.

     

    Live came around and they scraped their crafting system, horizontal progression, and a real open world feel by gating sections of the map. New players can't understand what the feeling of FireFalls open world is like because they did not taste it in beta, but the action stayed the same for the most part which is one of the fun parts of it. R5s new revamp on the crafting system and the market is on life support right now due to the Diablo style loot drop system and daily limitation on credits. There is no incentive to craft things because it cost way too much to do. People scramble for loot like rabid animals, so what once was a team effort turned into a solo event because of the ridiculous loot system. I spent $99.00 for 40 days in-game time (of a better version of FireFall), I'm not bitter -- I got my money's worth. This game could have been a Picasso but ended up a smut magazine. I'm just happy that ArcheAge is on the horizon to take up the space on my drive where FireFall used to be.

     
     
     
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by booniedog96
    I've been with them since January 2012 at the beginning of CBT and loved what they were doing with the game. The learning curve was tremendously steep but that was part of the challenge and you ended up being social by asking questions. Once I got around to learning how crafting affected game play with the constraint system a whole new world of possibilities opened up and then started experimenting with load outs and it took up a lot of my time in-game and I found that low level resources were just as valuable as high level resources.   People would come around my thumper and say, "You're so stupid, why are you thumping Q^001 Iron?!" I would just laugh and ask if they wanted in. They would pass then I would hoard up all the Q^001 resources and use them for crafting. Only real crafters can understand the value of a low level resource in FireFalls better crafting system. The problem was that people did not want to take the time to learn it. Even when I give my time to explain not many of them wanted to understand.   I don't know what happened during my time in there but it seemed like there was a mass influx of gamers that needed instant gratification. They set fire to the forums and R5 bent over. Loot drops increased then crafters lost an edge in the market because people were throwing up their loot on the AH at prices crafters couldn't even compete with without taking a loss. More PvE content was pushed out and PvP took a back seat in development. They swore Item decay would stay and the instant gratification gamers began to cry, R5 bent and took it back.   Live came around and they scraped their crafting system, horizontal progression, and a real open world feel by gating sections of the map. New players can't understand what the feeling of FireFalls open world is like because they did not taste it in beta, but the action stayed the same for the most part which is one of the fun parts of it. R5s new revamp on the crafting system and the market is on life support right now due to the Diablo style loot drop system and daily limitation on credits. There is no incentive to craft things because it cost way too much to do. People scramble for loot like rabid animals, so what once was a team effort turned into a solo event because of the ridiculous loot system. I spent $99.00 for 40 days in-game time (of a better version of FireFall), I'm not bitter -- I got my money's worth. This game could have been a Picasso but ended up a smut magazine. I'm just happy that ArcheAge is on the horizon to take up the space on my drive where FireFall used to be.      

    There goes all interest I had in the game. Zero respect for the devs for being such push overs

  • ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by booniedog96
    I've been with them since January 2012 at the beginning of CBT and loved what they were doing with the game. The learning curve was tremendously steep but that was part of the challenge and you ended up being social by asking questions. Once I got around to learning how crafting affected game play with the constraint system a whole new world of possibilities opened up and then started experimenting with load outs and it took up a lot of my time in-game and I found that low level resources were just as valuable as high level resources.   People would come around my thumper and say, "You're so stupid, why are you thumping Q^001 Iron?!" I would just laugh and ask if they wanted in. They would pass then I would hoard up all the Q^001 resources and use them for crafting. Only real crafters can understand the value of a low level resource in FireFalls better crafting system. The problem was that people did not want to take the time to learn it. Even when I give my time to explain not many of them wanted to understand.   I don't know what happened during my time in there but it seemed like there was a mass influx of gamers that needed instant gratification. They set fire to the forums and R5 bent over. Loot drops increased then crafters lost an edge in the market because people were throwing up their loot on the AH at prices crafters couldn't even compete with without taking a loss. More PvE content was pushed out and PvP took a back seat in development. They swore Item decay would stay and the instant gratification gamers began to cry, R5 bent and took it back.   Live came around and they scraped their crafting system, horizontal progression, and a real open world feel by gating sections of the map. New players can't understand what the feeling of FireFalls open world is like because they did not taste it in beta, but the action stayed the same for the most part which is one of the fun parts of it. R5s new revamp on the crafting system and the market is on life support right now due to the Diablo style loot drop system and daily limitation on credits. There is no incentive to craft things because it cost way too much to do. People scramble for loot like rabid animals, so what once was a team effort turned into a solo event because of the ridiculous loot system. I spent $99.00 for 40 days in-game time (of a better version of FireFall), I'm not bitter -- I got my money's worth. This game could have been a Picasso but ended up a smut magazine. I'm just happy that ArcheAge is on the horizon to take up the space on my drive where FireFall used to be.      

     

     

    Having 1000 qualities of one resource x16 resources was just insane. It could have been simplified to maybe stages or 100. Can you imagine the database nightmare behind the scenes when the game would be live with that many qualities of resources and items?

    According to Red 5, they had polls and/or feedback that the system was just too complicated. As a BUSINESS, you must weigh in the pros and cons, and the cons obviously out weighed the pros. 

    Regarding your credit comment: That has nothing to do with the "Diablo style loot drop system".

    The limitation is there for the good of the market. You claim to be playing for over 2 years yet can't comprehend that the MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of crystite that beta vets have would be a disaster to the market if left uncontrolled? How would you like to go into an unwiped Archeage where people that really paid to win with founder packs controlled the land, the sea, the air, and the market?

    You apparently don't understand that Red 5 had really no core direction and had to straighten themselves out. Starting an e-sports in beta without a core system in place was stupid. PvP is very much still on their minds. Lots of people liked the arena jetball (never tried it myself). The Broken Peninsula is new, and of course further iteration on it and the entire game will come.

    As they have said on the forums countless times, and in reviews, they listen to the community and will continue to work to improve the game.

    I once said regarding item breakage that they could still keep it but reduce the amount of time it took to break, but instead of doing this they just removed it. Personally I had no problem with it. Not everyone thinks ahead in a game to plan for the future like in Eve Online. Never fly what you can't afford to replace.

    Remember also in the patch notes of release or thereabouts, that they said that there currently is not a full fledged loot system in place. 

    It is amazing how people selectively remember what best supports their view.

    twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 2,627

    Firefall has had way more chances than normal. They must have good friends on MMORPG. I'm so over what the game has become I can't even speak negatively of it for long anymore. I honestly have lost the drive to break the games faults down. There's a whole bunch of magic bean selling going on for this title by the suits at Red5 and their industry friends. It's quite sad and Red5 deserves to be called on it, not get home cooking and favors.

     

    It's the SAME unfinished game except they abandoned almost every single philosophy it started with and replaced it with the most basic of cookie cutter mmorpg features just so they can push it out onto a wave of people not in the know.

     

    You guys go ahead and enjoy your honeymoon period for this POS, we'll reconvene after they've launched for a 3rd or 4th time and get another 7.6 and sell more "Red Bean".

  • SilynseSilynse Member UncommonPosts: 19

    Welp.... once again. MMORPG.com tries to sell red 5's fail of a flag shit. I post on this site every time they try one of these articles and Ill say it more simply this time because Im tired of having to repeat it. Just because Mark and some of the devs are buddies and contributors on mmorpg.com, doesnt mean you need to plug this game and give it good reviews. Its a HORRIBLE PRODUCT! 

    Red 5 is a horrible company of developers who ultimately are talented but lack what is needed to design and complete a title from the ground up. The game is poorly designed overall. Repetitive to the point of losing interest after 40 hours easily.

    They butchered the PVP so badly it was taken out completely and is half assed at best.

    The "epic-ness" of the game is lost after one trip through and situation and thumping is the biggest grind fest in all of gamedom. AI is absolutely horrid and the graphics are from around 1997.

    The game had potential. But the team here failed the gamers. Didnt deliver on time with content, failed their investors to the point of almost being shut down completely, and manages to insist that mmorpg continually plug this game as if its worth anything only because certain staff members are tied to the project. Which was hilarious to watch these guys climb on their weekly updates as a team and talk about how badass they were and how awesome their projects were, over and over. 5 fat idiots siting in a huddle praising themselves, looking like they hadn't shaved in 2 weeks because they were busy, but in reality it was just cuz they were too lazy to shave. lol

    Stop plugging firefall. Its embarassing for this site even more so than the developers at Red 5. IT IS NOT worthy of that 7.4. And any other gaming review sight will rate it FAR less. And for good reason.  

    This game is straight up crap. No amount of reviews will change that. And I say this as a supporter of ALL MMO's from the ground up. I even bought a 100 dollar founders pack in the begining for these guys. I watched it for a year and half and gave up.

    RED 5 cannot develop a game properly, and should be washed off the map of developers to make way for teams that can actually accomplish what they set out to do. Not waste players and websites, and investors valuable time and money.

  • HatefullHatefull Member RarePosts: 1,572
    Originally posted by ITPalg
    I wonder if these people that call it lackluster have even gone to Devil's Tusk, have participated in Chosen incursions, have participated in the Orbital Communications Tower event, have participated in many of the dynamic events that do not appear on the map, etc.

    Sadly I have, the game is lacking, it is a nice way to waste some time until a good game comes around, and it is leaps and strides beyond what it was a year ago but still not something I would call a great game.

     

    I have played it since closed BETA which was a few years ago, when it felt like the game had no direction at all.  And I have played it all the way through live.  With the amount of time and feed back that has been given they (Red 5) had ample opportunity to make a mind blowing game and they didn't.  They made a decent shooter with some multiplayer aspects to it that is mediocre at best.  You can argue this anyway you want, but this is my opinion and I base it off actual experience in the game, both currently and as far back as the public could play it.  

     

    TL/DR: Not a fan boy nor a hater, my opinion is: the game is mediocre at best.

    If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

  • booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289

    R5's target audience for FireFall has become the PvE CareBear FPS guy suckin on their teet for PvE content and EPIC LOOTS. The last time I logged into Devils Tusk I felt like I was inside one of those table-top goldfish bowls surrounded by short memory goldfish players running around feeding a Powered Dark Crystite anomaly machine just to be spilt into another bowl. With the introduction of 1.0 R5 took hand holding to a whole new level never before seen in any other MMO I've ever played.

     

    I like companies that stick to their guns like in ArcheAge for example. The PvE community love the PvE content that XL Games brings with their title. When asked if there can be a PvE only server for CareBear share, Scapes from Trion did not even hesitate to give a resounding "NO". Because R5 bent, they now have a game developed for a hybrid goldfish carebear.

     
  • madazzmadazz Member UncommonPosts: 1,869
    Best F2P game I have played in ages.
  • Arkangel32Arkangel32 Member UncommonPosts: 69

    Experience: 2 level 40 frames, no money spent.

    FF is a great game!  What do you do?  Shoot stuff...

    I had the most fun playing with 3 other friends in the dungeons.

    How do I play?  

    Get  a job board mission, and while I am traveling to it, if there are any World Dynamic events/public missions (Tons always popping up) I do them and then continue on with my job board mission.

    Honestly, if the game were just job board missions yes it would be mind numbing and boring but the world events/random missions, and crafting all together really jumps this game to a good entertainment value.  

    (Yeah for free, this is a bad ass game)

    You can level a frame to 40 within about 3 full days of playing. I took vacation from work and unfortunately all I did was play FF.

    Summary, its FREE, you cannot go wrong playing FF.  

    As with all Free to play games, if you enjoy the product then investing in they company and buying something is a great way to say thanks for their time in making something you are enjoying!

    Try it out, its free and enjoy!

     

  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by ITPalg
    I wonder if these people that call it lackluster have even gone to Devil's Tusk, have participated in Chosen incursions, have participated in the Orbital Communications Tower event, have participated in many of the dynamic events that do not appear on the map, etc.

    Still doesn't change the fact that Firefall is basically Defiance with manga-level of jumping

     

    Don't get me wrong, it is better than Defiance... but it is still what it is

    Agree, I love Defiance as well, but the Jetpacks make a world of a difference in this game we call Firefall. I am a old school gamer of the original Starsiege Tribes and see a lot of similarities, however I believe RED5 still needs to polish on their PvP element in this game.

  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

    Great game if your new to Firefall, not so great if your a old time beta veteran from a couple of years ago. Unfortunately like every mmo out there, are you part of the majority or the minority?

    When I played this game 2 years ago I nearly stated WTF kinda game is this and moved on, however there was a niche crowd of fans now turned haters. Just goes to show you, you can't please everyone.

    I still believe a mmo can't just survive on PvP alone and does need PvE to for the long haul, otherwise just jump on Tribes Ascend if PvP is your main focus for a mmofps. Apparently the old formula for FF wasn't working, looks like they may have something now.

Sign In or Register to comment.