Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] ArcheAge: Launch is Coming, At Long Last

Comments

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Originally posted by UgUgUg
    Will I be at a huge disadvantage if I don't get early access and if I want to secure a piece of land for harvesting and living in? Wont there be a land rush in those early days? If so will there be any point bothering about that part of the game after the early start?

Disadvantage, sure. But I doubt all land will be taken that quickly. Besides as people unsubscribe their farms and land will falter opening up more spots for you down the road.

• AzucArSaladAzucArSalad Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Good game. Not as much as I expected beacuse the hype missinformation I had when I started playing the alpha, but good enough to spend on a year and stop lurking other games.

^.^'

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Originally posted by Nleon

Enjoy your pay 2 win game.

LOL yep. Someone also said "when will someone in the west make a game like this" I almost replied "They did economically, GW2, NWO, and early Diablo III have had mandatory costs for progression disguised under the label F2P when nothing could be further from the truth" So much for no tricks no traps huh, this game doesn't even resemble the Korean version in PVE progression systems. Sad.

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by meonthissite
    Originally posted by Nleon

Enjoy your pay 2 win game.

LOL yep. Someone also said "when will someone in the west make a game like this" I almost replied "They did economically, GW2, NWO, and early Diablo III have had mandatory costs for progression disguised under the label F2P when nothing could be further from the truth" So much for no tricks no traps huh, this game doesn't even resemble the Korean version in PVE progression systems. Sad.

Huh? What pve progression system? Korea never had any progression system for pve..If you are talking about the Library that's content that will come later; what company releases a game with an expansion altogether..

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Originally posted by Pepeq

Here's some food for thought... 

If they had a P2W feature in the cash shop would you use it?

When I say P2W in this case, I'm saying it's a literal pay to win feature.  Once used, you are max everything.  Nothing, absolutely nothing else is left to acquire in game.  You have all the rewards, titles, et al that you could possibly ever attain.  All your records show the maximum number of everything, PVP victories, what have you, no numbers, stats, rewards, et all will ever go up, ever.  You literally have all there is to acquire in game.  There is nothing else.  You win.

Or did you?

This is the best reply to a topic like this i have ever read. They should lock the thread as there is no need for further discussion.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

F2P if you're willing to take twice as long as everyone else to do basic things like craft. You people are completely out of touch if you think a system like the LP system is fair. I see the same people here saying that it's "all good" that have previously hated upon system's that are similar to the LP one like the stamina system in other games, where when you run out of stamina you can't do anything else for the rest of the day. The LP system is the exact same thing, just with a different name.

It's funny to see so many of the people that have moaned about such system's in the past acting like this is a fair one now. Does the different name of the system confuse you, or something? Or are you that blinded with your love for AA?

Smile

• Rastan1Rastan1 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Played it. Combat is like old people sex. So slow and that resource system is pathetic. Terrible if you actually like fighting stuff.  Sandbox is not so sandboxy.  They had a few good ideas but at it's core it is incomplete and very mundane.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

So according to this post every game is P2W then because a crafter who has been in the game for a year before another crafter can craft more advanced weapons and armor than the newer crafter.  Unless you're in a race, P2W is not about who got there first, its about being able to acquire power via means not accessible to another player.  A perfect example is a cash shop offering OP weapons that are not able to be acquired in the game. 

Although P2W can also arguably be defined as the ability to buy items in the CS that would take an extreme amount of effort to acquire in game, the reality of the situation is that in all aspects of life, money buys power.  So why should it be any different in video games.  Where the rubber hits the road, however, is that whereas money can certainly buy power, it does not buy skill.  And it is almost always the case, that whenever two equally equipped opponents come head to head, the one who acquired his/her power through skill will more than likely be victorious over the opponent who acquired their power through money. 

So in conclusion, as long as you can acquire the same power in game as those who buy power, the game is not P2W.  For if you are able to acquire the same power in game, and then you are beat by someone of equal power, then you are simply beat, regardless of whether the power was earned through effort or bought with money.

P2W does not have a standard definition and means different things to different people.  When I hear p2w I think of a game like RoM where to be competitive you have to spend thousands of dollars.

In ArcheAge crafters willing to spend money on LP have a definite advantage over those that don't in the amount of things they can produce.  This isn't a debate.  In the end though I would agree that its not really 'winning', just making more money, gear, or fluff faster.

My issue with the system is it can turn into pay2fun.  Labor Points would be fine as a f2p/sub barrier, but the fact they exist on top of the sub is ridiculous.  Pay2win?  Not by my personal definition but I can understand other people thinking so.   A bit greedy?  Absolutely.  Sub many should be enough for standard gameplay.  In ArcheAge's case for some playstyles it isn't, and they are using it to their advantage to make more money.  If it was truly about limiting the economy as they say, then just cap the LPs and don't sell potions.

Its basically the equivalent of if Blizzard decided to charge people for additional raid resets.  "We only allow SoO to be run once a week to slow down the gearing process, but hey, if you give us an extra 5 bucks well let you run it twice anyway".  I hope no one from Blizzard is reading this.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by Razeekster

F2P if you're willing to take twice as long as everyone else to do basic things like craft. You people are completely out of touch if you think a system like the LP system is fair. I see the same people here saying that it's "all good" that have previously hated upon system's that are similar to the LP one like the stamina system in other games, where when you run out of stamina you can't do anything else for the rest of the day. The LP system is the exact same thing, just with a different name.

It's funny to see so many of the people that have moaned about such system's in the past acting like this is a fair one now. Does the different name of the system confuse you, or something? Or are you that blinded with your love for AA?

The difference is that LP is not an issue unless you chose to play the game for free.  FFXIV had a stamina/fatigue system but it was a subscription game.  You had no choice but to pay to play that game and be saddled with the fatigue restriction.  If AA was a pay to play game only and saddled with the same restrictions as F2P are now It would be a huge issue I am sure.  But that is not the case, is it?  It is simply an issue for people who want to freeload.  All you have to do to avoid the LP restrictions in AA is become a patron.  Whose fault is it that you chose to play the game for free and are therefore saddled with an LP restriction?  I think we all know the answer to that question ... yours and yours only.   

The question to you is a simple one.  Do you find the game entertaining enough that you are willing to support it by becoming a patron.  If your answer is yes, then you should subscribe and play.  If you do not find it entertaining enough to play, then do not pay, and do not play.  If it will make you, and the rest of F2P advocates happy, let's just call it what it is ... a pay to play game, and be done with it.  Would that make you happy?  Can we move on now?  All of this complaining by people who are getting something for free is really mind boggling.  The entitlement mentality in MMO's is through the roof.  Incredible.

Originally posted by syriinx

So according to this post every game is P2W then because a crafter who has been in the game for a year before another crafter can craft more advanced weapons and armor than the newer crafter.  Unless you're in a race, P2W is not about who got there first, its about being able to acquire power via means not accessible to another player.  A perfect example is a cash shop offering OP weapons that are not able to be acquired in the game. 

Although P2W can also arguably be defined as the ability to buy items in the CS that would take an extreme amount of effort to acquire in game, the reality of the situation is that in all aspects of life, money buys power.  So why should it be any different in video games.  Where the rubber hits the road, however, is that whereas money can certainly buy power, it does not buy skill.  And it is almost always the case, that whenever two equally equipped opponents come head to head, the one who acquired his/her power through skill will more than likely be victorious over the opponent who acquired their power through money. 

So in conclusion, as long as you can acquire the same power in game as those who buy power, the game is not P2W.  For if you are able to acquire the same power in game, and then you are beat by someone of equal power, then you are simply beat, regardless of whether the power was earned through effort or bought with money.

P2W does not have a standard definition and means different things to different people.  When I hear p2w I think of a game like RoM where to be competitive you have to spend thousands of dollars.

In ArcheAge crafters willing to spend money on LP have a definite advantage over those that don't in the amount of things they can produce.  This isn't a debate.  In the end though I would agree that its not really 'winning', just making more money, gear, or fluff faster.

My issue with the system is it can turn into pay2fun.  Labor Points would be fine as a f2p/sub barrier, but the fact they exist on top of the sub is ridiculous.  Pay2win?  Not by my personal definition but I can understand other people thinking so.   A bit greedy?  Absolutely.  Sub many should be enough for standard gameplay.  In ArcheAge's case for some playstyles it isn't, and they are using it to their advantage to make more money.  If it was truly about limiting the economy as they say, then just cap the LPs and don't sell potions.

Its basically the equivalent of if Blizzard decided to charge people for additional raid resets.  "We only allow SoO to be run once a week to slow down the gearing process, but hey, if you give us an extra 5 bucks well let you run it twice anyway".  I hope no one from Blizzard is reading this.

I have yet to hear LP be a problem for the vast majority of subscribers.  As a matter of fact, LP regeneration during alpha was 20/10 and patrons complained that it was too excessive and ruined the game.  This is why the LP regeneration was scaled back to 10/5 in the later beta stages.  And patrons, by and large, are much more satisfied with the LP system as it is now, than they were in alpha. 

Of course there will always be a minority who will never be satisfied with a mechanic regardless of the mechanic.  A game will never succeed in satisfying 100% of the player base.  The fact of the matter is that the majority of patrons are satisfied with LP system as it is now.  If you have played AA through the beta stages, you will find that after some time, LP is not a problem whatsoever.  On the contrary, many players have a hard time spending all of it.  There are a lot of misconceptions around the LP system.  There is no doubt in my mind that there are many people have not experienced it, and do not understand it, and are complaining just for the sake of complaining.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Rastan1
    Played it. Combat is like old people sex. So slow and that resource system is pathetic. Terrible if you actually like fighting stuff.  Sandbox is not so sandboxy.  They had a few good ideas but at it's core it is incomplete and very mundane.

LOL, so what your saying is, you'd rather have sex over and done with quickly.  Maybe you should try old people sex before you knock it.

• rpg-maniacrpg-maniac Member UncommonPosts: 26
    After trying the game in CBT3 & 4 I must say that the game is nice but those who say it is somewhat p2w have some right they don't say it just to troll they know very well for what they are talking about, for any new player who thinking to start have in mind 1 thing, as a f2p player you can't do anything else other than kill mobs, do quest & ofc PvP, so forget any sandbox elements like grow your own crops, build your own house do gathering/crafting your LP will never be enough for anything & if you ever decide to start doing anything that require LP the hard reality will slap you in the face & make you realize for what all those people talking about, I will say just 1 thing just 1 trade run (to make a package of trading goods & deliver it somewhere for gold) require around 180 LP or more in order to regenerate so much LP you must be online for 3 hours... f2p can't do sh1t compare to those who pay & have double LP regeneration when they are online & the same LP regeneration with f2p players when they are offline! f2p btw don't offline LP regeneration so no need to say anything else I think everyone with a brain can do the maths & see how viable playing as a f2p is if you want to experience everything the game has to offer.
  • obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

The difference is that LP is not an issue unless you chose to play the game for free.  FFXIV had a stamina/fatigue system but it was a subscription game.  You had no choice but to pay to play that game and be saddled with the fatigue restriction.  If AA was a pay to play game only and saddled with the same restrictions as F2P are now It would be a huge issue I am sure.  But that is not the case, is it?  It is simply an issue for people who want to freeload.  All you have to do to avoid the LP restrictions in AA is become a patron.  Whose fault is it that you chose to play the game for free and are therefore saddled with an LP restriction?  I think we all know the answer to that question ... yours and yours only.   

The question to you is a simple one.  Do you find the game entertaining enough that you are willing to support it by becoming a patron.  If your answer is yes, then you should subscribe and play.  If you do not find it entertaining enough to play, then do not pay, and do not play.  If it will make you, and the rest of F2P advocates happy, let's just call it what it is ... a pay to play game, and be done with it.  Would that make you happy?  Can we move on now?  All of this complaining by people who are getting something for free is really mind boggling.  The entitlement mentality in MMO's is through the roof.  Incredible.

What complete nonsense.  LP is outside the subscription payment.  If you don't purchase LP boosts in the item shop you are LP limited even with a Sub.  That is why a lot of us won't touch this game.  It is what it is, but if you want to play this is the game it is going to cost you more than a subscription....  After trying the game out, there are much better games out there now, why bother with this one?  If I am going to sub to a game, it had better be worth putting my time into it and not have additional charges that are necessary to play the game.  This one does.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

What complete nonsense.  LP is outside the subscription payment.  If you don't purchase LP boosts in the item shop you are LP limited even with a Sub.  That is why a lot of us won't touch this game.  It is what it is, but if you want to play this is the game it is going to cost you more than a subscription....  After trying the game out, there are much better games out there now, why bother with this one?  If I am going to sub to a game, it had better be worth putting my time into it and not have additional charges that are necessary to play the game.  This one does.

Complete nonsense you say?  So how is it that the vast majority of patrons  are playing it with no problems whatsoever and looking forward to playing the game as is?  You'd have a point if no one was able to manage the LP system, but that is not the case.  That being said, I respect and sympathize with you when you claim managing the LP system has been particularly challenging for you.  I can see where it could be challenging for some players and would never claim to speak for those who are unable to successful navigate the LP system.  Some people have a problem performing the most basic of tasks in real life as well.  Does that mean the majority are unable to do so?  No.  It simply means that some people are particularly challenged when attempting to perform certain tasks.  That, however, is a personal challenge that needs to be overcome by the individual player.  In other words, it is a user created problem and not the fault of the game.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Complete nonsense you say?  So how is it that the vast majority of patrons  are playing it with no problems whatsoever and looking forward to playing the game as is?  You'd have a point if no one was able to manage the LP system, but that is not the case.  That being said, I respect and sympathize with you when you claim managing the LP system has been particularly challenging for you.  I can see where it could be challenging for some players and would never claim to speak for those who are unable to successful navigate the LP system.  Some people have a problem performing the most basic of tasks in real life as well.  Does that mean the majority are unable to do so?  No.  It simply means that some people are challenged when attempting to perform certain tasks.  That, however, is a personal challenge that needs to be overcome by the individual player.  In other words, it is a user created problem and not the fault of the game.

Jesus , it s a game, whats with all this RL analogy. No one should have to manage any system. It s a joke of a system.

Originally posted by Soki123

Complete nonsense you say?  So how is it that the vast majority of patrons  are playing it with no problems whatsoever and looking forward to playing the game as is?  You'd have a point if no one was able to manage the LP system, but that is not the case.  That being said, I respect and sympathize with you when you claim managing the LP system has been particularly challenging for you.  I can see where it could be challenging for some players and would never claim to speak for those who are unable to successful navigate the LP system.  Some people have a problem performing the most basic of tasks in real life as well.  Does that mean the majority are unable to do so?  No.  It simply means that some people are challenged when attempting to perform certain tasks.  That, however, is a personal challenge that needs to be overcome by the individual player.  In other words, it is a user created problem and not the fault of the game.

Jesus , it s a game, whats with all this RL analogy. No one should have to manage any system. It s a joke of a system.

True, it is a game and sometimes games are difficult requiring some form of management skill.  Some of us enjoy games with varying levels of difficulty, some of us do not.  In AA, the LP system is a system of management built into the game.  Many are not used to this type of system and don't like it.  But instead of accepting it as a system integral to this game, and adjusting to it, they call it a joke and criticize it.   A common excuse is that the LP system is not hard its just annoying.  Well guess what, everything hard is annoying.  Hard and annoying go hand in hand.  Some will accept and overcome the challenge, some will shrink before it and walk away.  Perfectly natural.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

True, it is a game and sometimes games are difficult requiring some form of management skill.  Some of us enjoy games with varying levels of difficulty, some of us do not.  In AA, the LP system is a system of management built into the game.  Many are not used to this type of system and don't like it.  But instead of accepting it as a system integral to this game, and adjusting to it, they call it a joke and criticize it.   A common excuse is that the LP system is not hard its just annoying.  Well guess what, everything hard is annoying.  Hard and annoying go hand in hand.  Some will accept and overcome the challenge, some will shrink before it and walk away.  Perfectly natural.

Ok, so by your description, it s hard and annoying. Not sure something annoying is what people want in a game. I mean really, this takes the cake of a fanboy just spewing crap to justify a stupid system, that will in the end be a money grab for many. Like it or not, that's whats happening.

Ok, so by your description, it s hard and annoying. Not sure something annoying is what people want in a game. I mean really, this takes the cake of a fanboy just spewing crap to justify a stupid system, that will in the end be a money grab for many. Like it or not, that's whats happening.

If its not what people want, people won't play.  Raging, name calling, and predictions of doom by players complaining simply because they won't be able to play the game for free won't change an LP mechanic that is integral to AA's game play.  Like it or not if you want to play you will pay, that's what will happen. 

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by chaplain64

Nileon, I'm not sure what you think pay 2 win means, but this game is not pay to win. you cant buy power, or weapons. APB, STO are pay to win

In archeage you get 1-50 content, you can buy patron with in game money, so I'm not sure what you really want? I mean they have to make money some how. If they dont make money they shut down and nobody plays. 

He is just mad like some gamers, because they want what we have for free, to many free loaders think, it does not cost money to work or make a game these games, so they throw a fit.

sick of seeing this crap on this forum, to many free loaders these days.. I wish F2P would go away..

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242

This is the biggest falsehood being perpetrated about the game and it is sad that there will be those that actually believe you. As someone who has played KR, RU and all the way through the NA alpha, I can unequivocally say that you are 100% full of it and no one should put any stock in your comments.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

I understand why theme-park warriors believe no one should have to manage any  systems ...it goes with the territory in their type of games. The only real joke here is watching someone who has no interest and even less knowledge about a game trying to make a mountain out of a molehill and then claim to be standing on the high ground  

• MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock
    READY!!!

Say hello to diabetes for the rest of us :)

• HerithiusHerithius Member UncommonPosts: 219

Without a doubt my favorite MMO since UO.  I daresay I like it more. I had become such a cynic over the last 10 years with the slew of mmorpg releases with no thought to meaningful endgame content but the amount of things you can do in this title is jaw dropping.

For those who don't like it, I wish you the best in trying to find a mmorpg you can appreciate.

For the rest of us, we have found a home to plant roots in for a long, long time.

• OtohimeVOTFOtohimeVOTF Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by Elandrial
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by MiGhTyEcKo
    Originally posted by Daxamar

Havent found the Pay to Win button yet, but Im still looking!

I love how it failed in Korea and Russia, yet 2 years later that game is still goin.

If your on the fence about playing it, just wait to release. Its F2P from the get go. Sure LP will be a hassle, but if you plan you should be OK. Your only investment would be your time. Lets face it if your on these forums a lot, you have the time.

Forum trolls have nothing better to do, they calll it play to win, anyone who has played AA knows that these trolls havnt, and that they are full of it.

Either they have never played, or they have and just sucked at the game. Its not a WoW clone, and its not easy like the MMOs they are used to. So they cry on the forums and make the game out to be something its not. They need to make themselves feel better about it, so they claim in P2W and that they wont play it for that reason.

Anyone who has played AA knows these people are full of it, end of story.

It toes the P2W line a little.

If you take two die hard crafters that are patrons, the one that is willing to buy two LPs a day gains an advantage over the other.

Its certainly not p2w like Runes of Magic or some Perfect World game though, which is how in my opinion p2w should really be used.

It really should be patron = unlimited LP.  terrible mechanic which was only created for monetization in the first place, though XL games has fooled some people buy saying otherwise.

to get wood you need a farm,, 

wrong u need a goo hiding place if u think i am am not right watch this

to get pelts you need a farm.

wrong again pelts can be looted from any fury beast in game , including humanoid type

to have a arm you need to be a patron.

wrong again u can get in a family with a patron and have same options as him

no matter how hard you try you cannot be a patron without paying.

wrong again , u can have all the rights a patron has as long u are in a family ( u can't put down farms houses but u can use furniture and crafting stalls)

a patron account can make as much lp back per day logged off as a non patron can make logged on.since lp is per account,no point in even making a second character,but a second account,will make as much lp logged off  24hrs a day as a non patron logged on 24 hr a day.it is by your own definition ptw because of thing cause of thing you can do with cash that is IMPOSSIBLE to do without.that by the way IS p2w.as in pw the healing and pots suck unless bought in store.pots are just about worthless to use,as you take more damage than is healed while taking the pot.another ptw feature. just for grins and giggles i made a cleric,my heal did 10% of my total health,i hit an archer with heal and did not even see his health move.the gliders were a joke,heck if i want to fly i would play pw,10x better with flying mounts and in air combat.

WRONG AGAIN ppl fail to realize because they are uninformed and never looked at the f... LP bar and the f... numbers on it , NO CHARACTER (PATRON OR NOT ) starts with 5000 lp it grows gradually depending on your crafting skills ( yes i was patron lvl 50 with 3500 lp because i gave jack to crafting)

i did not bother much with the crafting,but i did try mining and gathering a bit.began the day with 2k lp mined allthe ore i found and any thing i could gather,after i refined the ore and stone i was down to under 1k,with rewards and money drops,i never really got back to 1400 after 2 days.than you look at the crafting and 1k to craft 1 piece of armor and you decide that there is no future in crafting unless your a patron.

1k lp armor at lvl 20+ , u are joking trolling or trolling , is between 50-150 gradually increasing with the lvl of the armor forged

you can delude your self that it is not ptw,but i bet you are a patron,so of course you do not think it is.most people who use the p2w in games do not think it is.but yes it is your choice to buy stuff,and their choice to sell stuff.but by the same token it is my choice not to play a game that forces me to buy stuff to play it.oh i do play sub games as well a ftp games,so it is not even the sub,that i have an issue with.make it a sub game or make it ftp.your skill should be the deciding factor in a game not money.

and u find p2w as a good excuse to throw mud in a game just because u can't/want to afford a sub, plus your mentality as a player that deserves everything free just because u MIGHT sub  is so wrong , if u want to play a game buy the game or pay the sub , f2p in any game is a trial and the devs deserve your sub not your f2p , they get nothing if u log in on a server and stay f2p just because u can, meanwhile screaming your lungs out that u want same rights as a normal paying customer .

at the end u based your affirmations on false information gathered from 2 days of play 

ps: as a f2p player u have no right to judge a game , u are playing it for free and u should consider that a privilege not a given right