Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome Physics Based Rendering!

Lead programmer Teddy made a recent announcement discussing the addition of physics based lighting/rendering to the test area known as "Demo Island":

There has been a grand improvement in the visual fidelity of ToA. Took a few day break from implementing features, and decided to add some eye candy to our previously 'flat' world. We have learned quite a bit about, and brought into the game a new look that has been growing in popularity for games as of late. The results are in my oh so humble opinion pretty fantastic.

Brax worked hard to crank out this lovely new island terrain that will be used in tomorrows 60 man networked test. After finishing up the model, he tossed it my way for some shine and buffer. After some time changing the material and environment settings, we have a beautiful place to call our demo island, of which all people in tomorrows test will be able play on!

The physics based rendering/lighting really helps make the world pop because it bases its rendering properties off of, well, real life physics. A ray of light bounces, defracts, difusses into the environment around, and this rendering system simulates just that. The beauty really comes into play when you are able to move around in game and see the light very nicely reflect off and diffuse into the different angles of an objects surface.

Not only does it apply to terrain, but also our other metallic surfaces, such as armor. So with a bit of work we also have a new and improved look to the armor. This is already put into game and will be the armor people see in tomorrows test! The left shows the older (2nd gen) armor and the right the newest.

You can see how the new armor reflects very nicely the objects that are around it, rather then some random oranges/browns that must be preset before hand. This new type of rendering gives ToA a really vibrant feel and makes the world a place you really want to be apart of. I personally cant wait to let everyone in it!

We will be doing some heavy recording of our networked test tomorrow so be on the lookout for all those goodies as well!

Comments

• ChochChoch Member UncommonPosts: 157

That's pretty cool but I always thought this was common in games.

Does this affect your computers FPS or create more load on the servers?

• SporkguySporkguy Member Posts: 18
    The biggest thing for me about ToA is the gameplay design.  I'm so glad to see that the world is going to look good too.
  • ChochChoch Member UncommonPosts: 157

Same here Spork.

The gameplay is always what is most important for me in any game but if graphics can be improved without compromising gameplay then that is alright with me!