Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Internet requirements for Online Games?

ericnhericnh Member Posts: 2
I love rpg games like dragon age and witcher series a lot. But I never played a game online until I visited one of my friends home in Edmonton last week. There I played few online games like guild wars 2 and world of warcraft. I found online multiplayer games are more exciting than single player games. My computer is decent to play any single player games. But I don’t have a high speed internet connection at my home. I don’t know how much bandwidth and speed is required for online games. The high speed internet connection at my office by Terago Networks seems to be very good. But I heard they offer only business internet plans. Can someone help me in picking an internet plan which offers good speed and bandwidth limit suitable for online gaming from any ISP in the Toronto region? I don’t play more than a couple of hours every day. So I am not looking for an expensive plan.

Comments

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

If you're playing your standard run of the mill mmorpgs where you don't need to "aim" (like a first or third person shooter) then ALMOST any internet connection will work fairly well. I say almost because Satellite connections have a minimum latency of around 800ms so it would be terrible for anything short of checking email.

For example, you could play World of Warcraft on a dialup connection, you know, the old telephone cords you used to plug into the wall? However, if you plan on using voice comms like TeamSpeak or Mumble, you will want a broadband connection.

If you're the only one online in your home, you would be just fine with a DSL 1Mb connection. If you want to stream your game play or start watching netflix while you game, then you might want to consider something faster.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Speed isnt the only indicator you need to look at.. Ping time is the most important thing in a good connection. In all honesty online gaming is fine with a 1.5mb connection but patch downloads and digital game downloads would be slow. I am not familiar with ISPs in Canada so you should probably ask some people you know about their experiences. 

Edit : To go along with the above poster.. You could play WoW over dial up and I actually did for awhile until broadband became available to me years ago. But I was never able to do any dungeons while using dial up.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

I used to play MMOs on dialup before DSL was available where I lived.  I had a decent ISP and my ping was acceptable.  Patching was a nightmare, though.

Any bandwidth amount is acceptable.  The quality of the connection is more important than the throughput.  If the connection drops frequently or has other issues, online gaming won't be very fun.  If your latency is too high, you won't be able to play many games and have fun.

In my experience, DSL has been more consistent than cable in terms of connection quality, but cable has always been able to provide more bandwidth.  If you're lucky, the cable provider in your area might have a network without issues and you can get the best of both worlds.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

If you have a cable or  DSL service with 3 mbps then you have more than enough capability to play online games. Mbps means megabits per second and NOT megabytes per second.  Playing a game over the internet on a slower connection of 100-200 kbps (kilobits) range is more than adequate. 

That is unless you are using a remote satellite connection. As someone else already stated a satellite connection will not work well for online gaming.

The only time a bandwidth of 3 mbps or more comes in handy for gaming is when you have to download a large patch for a game. The latency of your connection is more important for gaming. Latency is how fast data can be moved from your system to the remote system.

For gaming a low latency connection (how fast) is more important than a high bandwidth (how much) connection.  Most ISPs advertise their bandwidth and say nothing about their latency to your location.  Those last three words are the important ones.  That depends a lot on how far away, how old and how well maintained those last couple of miles of cable are to your location.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Downloading the game initially and then major patches can take a long time on a slow Internet connection, as others have said.  But once you're in the game, you don't need much bandwidth.  MMORPGs will typically use a few KB/s, and some less active online games can use considerably less than that, even.  What is important is reliability of the connection:  packets that are sent need to arrive, and they need to consistently get there fast.
  • ericnhericnh Member Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone for the replies.  I am planning to buy a 2 Mb plan with 100 GB bandwidth .  I will be the only person at home using the internet. So there won't be any video streaming while I play games.  Are these patches for games too big? How much will be the size on an average for patches of common online games? Is there any way I can check the ping time of a connection? 
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by ericnh
    Thanks everyone for the replies.  I am planning to buy a 2 Mb plan with 100 GB bandwidth .  I will be the only person at home using the internet. So there won't be any video streaming while I play games.  Are these patches for games too big? How much will be the size on an average for patches of common online games? Is there any way I can check the ping time of a connection? 

100Gb should be plenty. Use you first months usage as a measuring stick to see if you might need a bigger package, which I seriously doubt.
  • Ket_VilianoKet_Viliano Member UncommonPosts: 271

Regarding Ping:

On Windows systems, click the start button, and search for "Command Prompt".

This should bring up a small black window.

Type: "ping www.google.com" and see what happens.

I also use www.yahoo.com, or www.cnn.com, just for giggles.

You can also type the direct internet address into the ping command: "ping 192.168.0.1" .

Or, any other internet address.

Welcome to the command line, the secret source of power for the computer and internet.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by ericnh

100 GB/month of bandwidth is plenty unless you want to download an entirely new game every few days or so.  The initial download of a game can be anywhere from under 1 GB into the low tens of GB, and patches are usually a small fraction of the original download, so it's rare that a game will have more than a few GB worth of patches per month.

Do make sure that you get something that can be low latency.  Fiber optic is ideal, but not available in many places.  Cable modem or DSL will work well, too.  Satellite is bad because having to bounce the signal off of satellites 22k miles above the earth's equator adds more than 200 ms to your latency.

• ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188
    might be worth getting a connection with no download limit as well, given that the patches are of different sizes. and you might want to download any new games rather than buy the disc (if it's even available on disc)

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I've found you can game well on just about any connection except satellite.

Even if your only option is a strictly metered connection (ie. Most cellular data plans), you can still game on them as long as your conscious about patches and downloads. I've had to play on Cellular before, and I would take a laptop into McD's or Starbucks and mooch free WiFi in order to patch, then go back home to play on my cell phone.

Not ideal, but it worked for a time.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404

One thing to keep in mind is if you start watching videos online or movies or tv shows etc you will chew through 100GB pretty dang fast.

Since your in Toronto you should have some nice options when it comes to ISPs so shop around and don't be afraid to look at both dsl AND cable options.  I do believe some of the ISPs  give you unlimited usage option too.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• thecoolestthecoolest Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by DMKano

Bottom line - high bandwidth and low latency are ideal.

^ I agree with this