Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some questions, thinking of trying EQII out.

turtleboy523turtleboy523 Member Posts: 43

Well, ive been playing MMO's for a long time now. probably about 4 years. I have a few questions about EQII. Guess i'll just get right to them.

How much EQI is it?

How's the community?

How's the Character Customization?

How much time must you put into the game for it to be worthwhile?

Is there any roleplaying?

Is the combat interesting and does everything have a role? (ex. Tanks hold aggro, priests heal, rogues deal lots of damge.)

I think thats about it for now. If you guys can find something else to add, or if i think of anything i'll post again. Thanks for your feed back. I hope this game can save me from the boredom of GW and WoW. Thanks again. 

Comments

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Originally posted by turtleboy523
    Well, ive been playing MMO's for a long time now. probably about 4 years. I have a few questions about EQII. Guess i'll just get right to them.
    How much EQI is it?The combat is totally different. The only real simularity is the fluff and races. How's the community?Very nice. A lot of them are willing to help with froglok quests and help you find NPCs. How's the Character Customization?It is pretty deep. It goes into eye postions and cheek hight How much time must you put into the game for it to be worthwhile?I'd guess around 10 hours a week Is there any roleplaying?The roleplaying server is the most populous server at the moment. Is the combat interesting and does everything have a role? (ex. Tanks hold aggro, priests heal, rogues deal lots of damge.)Yes. A group cannot function without healers, mezzers, and tanks. Damage dealers are also welcome I think thats about it for now. If you guys can find something else to add, or if i think of anything i'll post again. Thanks for your feed back. I hope this game can save me from the boredom of GW and WoW. Thanks again.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

I normally don't respond to these threads as quite frankly I'm sick of seeing seeing them posted ever other hour and wish people would use a search every once in awhile, but you mentioned combat, and that's something I think EQ2 does really well.

In most games the fighter/Tank is the easiest class for beginners. You jsut run in hit everything once so they attack you, not much thought or planning.

In EQ2 the easiest class is probably the Wizard, or Warlock, weird but true.

In EQ2 it takes planning and tactics to be a truely effective team. The Tank does little damage, but still has to maintain aggro, the healer has to keep the party alive, while mitagating aggro. Scouts have to get position on an enemy, and worry about aggro. They all have to work together to be effective.

Sure you can form a basic group of tank healer damage dealers and go out and kill some critters, but if you are in a group that truely knows what they're doing, you can take on baddies that you have no right fighting, and win. It is some of the most rewarding things in the game to be part of a group like that, and anyone who's been in that type of group knows what I'm talking about. When the fight is over, you're all in the red in HP, you have no power left and thought you were going to die 6 times before the monster went down, but you pull it off. THAT's what this game is all about, and THAT's the main reason it has become my favorite MMO.

• turtleboy523turtleboy523 Member Posts: 43

Wow, Jodokai, thanks for that post. I think that has made me decide to give this game a try. I was disapointed when i tried EQ1, mostly because of the graphics really (I know it sounds bad, but when you cant walk a straight line and fall off a tree, because you cant tell the difference between the bridge and the ground.. i think thats an issue.)

Ive really been trying to find something that i can really get into and want to work my way up and build a reputation. I really like to be a revered person on my server, or in my guild or anything. I liked the combat in FFXI and this sounds a bit like that, but maybe even a little more involved.

I think I will give this one a go, and see what happens. Thanks again for the info, and sorry for repeating a thread thats happens alot, im just trying to find something to revitalize the genre for me.

• fawdfawd Member Posts: 367

How much EQI is it?
    There isnt much EQ1 in EQ2 except for the general concept.  I like EQ2 much better image
     How's the community?
    Awesome!  The community is very adult-like.  Aswell as there being many hardcore gamers and relaxed gamers.  Overal, the Community is very balanced.
    Amazing.  The Character Customization is truely unlike any other I have seen.  I have been playing MMORPGs for 6 years and have played many games in my time, and EQ2's character customization is awesome!
    It is always worthwhile image
    There is roleplaying, although you might not notice it at first.  There are roleplaying servers, aswell as some Roleplaying guilds.
     Is the combat interesting and does everything have a role? (ex. Tanks hold aggro, priests heal, rogues deal lots of damge.)
    The combat is amazing.  The effects are just spectactular.  and everyone has a role.  EQ2 is a game of strategy.

I would HIGHLY recogmend playing EQ2!!!

• B._TOM_KiddB._TOM_Kidd Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by fawd

How much EQI is it?
    There isnt much EQ1 in EQ2 except for the general concept.  I like EQ2 much better image
     How's the community?
    Awesome!  The community is very adult-like.  Aswell as there being many hardcore gamers and relaxed gamers.  Overal, the Community is very balanced.
    Amazing.  The Character Customization is truely unlike any other I have seen.  I have been playing MMORPGs for 6 years and have played many games in my time, and EQ2's character customization is awesome!
    It is always worthwhile image
    There is roleplaying, although you might not notice it at first.  There are roleplaying servers, aswell as some Roleplaying guilds.
    The combat is amazing.  The effects are just spectactular.  and everyone has a role.  EQ2 is a game of strategy.

I would HIGHLY recogmend playing EQ2!!!

he preety much covered it.

and u got my recomedtion as well, its the best MMORPG i ever played

Wolfang, the lvl 50 Guardian of Splitpaw - EQ2.
    SuRfer of Werner - Planetside

• turtleboy523turtleboy523 Member Posts: 43
     Thanks again for the input guys, i want to try it out. But my family went to disneyland for about 5 days, so i wont be able to activate my account until my mom comes home, or i could get my butt in gear and go get my debit card, (Just tured 18 on the 23rd.) Anywho, im looking forward to it, but until my family gets home, think im going to be playing Demon Stone, which seems awesome so far. Story is by RA Salvitor. Not sure how many people have heard of it. But my girlfriend bought it for me be my b-day :) so its the best game ever. Hehe thanks agian for the input.
  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Do the trial, Im pretty sure you do not need a credit card.  I got the demo disk in a mag or you could download it.
  • skeezixsskeezixs Member Posts: 66

How much EQI is it?

Should not even be allowed to be called everquest. image

How's the community?

The community is about the only thing still going for it. till SOE finds a way to ruin that too.

Its ok. you can customize you face skin color and height.  but beyond that everyone really looks the same.

Quite a bit, if you ever want cash and gear. unless you like to has junk gear and be pretty weak. crafting one item can take over 30 mins. no cash drops, lot is scarce. harvesting and hoping for rares is so annoying was much better when they at least let you resell your gear... that is before the copied WOW's horrible binding junk.

There are the roleplaying servers. but its kinda hard to role play with the lame concepts they have added to this game. I mean a warrior uses a sword even once and it is garbage after that... the story line is kinda flat too. they really could have done alot better.

Yeah but the combat is also very mind numbing for all classes. set up your abilities press 1 thru 0 over and over till the mob is dead. repeat over and over. there is no tactics at all in this game. the fact i hit lvl 15 the very first day was a very sad sign. The game is way to easy. there is very little replay value. other than start in the opposing city, or you are stuck doing the same quests over and over. basically there are only 4 classes and any race can be any of them. everyone has about the same gear due to the whole attunment junk they started. there were so many other options they could have choosen to make the game better but nerf after nerf they made the game really boring. only class i even had to use any skill if thats what you wanna call it was the ranger. get used to walking tight circles backwards and you can solo just about and monster blue con and under to you.  I have run groups of all tanks, all wizzies, and what not and had just as much luck as taking a well mixed group. It is all really up to what you decide to fight.

Overall good graphics. decent sound. but when it come to content it is really flat. from launch to march i had 1 char lvl 50 and 3 others in there 30s to 40s. which for only about 5 months it to fast of a lvling scale for a mmorpg.

personally i would wait for D&D online or vanguard. lately all the games have gone down hill. No challenge, no content. To worried about the economy that they ruin the game to balance the economy that still continues on the same path , or even has gotten worse.

Eq2 if you love the lvl grind there is plenty of it for about 2 months to get max lvl. crafting is slow and very tedious, but practically the only way to ever get any money. to bad you need a bunch of money to really start tradeskilling .