Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me settle down...

StyxaStyxa Member UncommonPosts: 76

Okay this may take a while but I will try to keep it short....

The last couple of years of my MMO career were far from satisfying, I was hopping MMOs quite often and couldnt get into a game which by now is kinda depressing me :/

I hope some of you can help me out, I will list the MMOs I had some fun with, I know I will have to fight my way through the leveling phase because thats the part that often kills the game for me, I dont know why...

GW2: Character animation was kind of stiff and the lack of holy trinity drove me off in the end, graphics where nice and classes were kinda cool, exsp. mesmer 

TERA: Loved the visuals of the game, combat was a little cluncky but okay, I think the "grindyness" of th elevelphase drove me off in the end

Aion: I have some kind off love-hate relationship with this one. Played it shortly after release, totally love character customisation and it has two of the most fun classes I ever played in a game (Bard and Chanter). I totally hated gathering and crafting in this game, leveling was pretty grindy and this drove me off mostly around level 45-50

Rift: Class System was cool, visual style was okay but animations were kind of lifeless and boring. Always felt like an inferior version of WoW, and that brings us to...

WoW:Played it for a long time, cool game but I played it too much, gets boring every time I come back verry fast...

Final Fantasy Realm Reborn: I love the graphics, combat seems a little slow for me, really cant point my finger at the details that stopped me from playing it...

ESO:skipped this, wil try it together with a friend laterr his year.

Thats pretty much all of them, I am not a big fan of scifi themed games so Star Wars and Wildstar were no fun for me. I am a verry big fan of good graphics, so the older games like Everquest, etc. wont make it for me.

I would like to have a nice mix of PvE and PvP, I like some gear farming and instance running, raids are no must but nice to have. I like open PvP and battlegrounds more than arena or RvR.

It would be nice if the game would have some kind of support class, like Chanter or Bard from Aion, or some fast paced melee class like DK from WoW or Warrior from TERA.

I know I cant have everything I want, thats why I am asking you. Do you think any of the mentioned games would be worth sinking my teeth in? Is tehre someting I missed? 

I hope you can help me instead of just saying I should play what I want :)

Thanks a lot for reading, my grammer must be kind of terrible, english isnt my mother tongue :)

Comments

• punkrock2punkrock2 Member UncommonPosts: 78

I`m going to be honest here.

Not sure your MMo background BUT you should go try the old school MMO games. Get to know where it all started and just live in it. 

DAOC-Dark age of camelot

AO- anarchy online

EQ- Ever Quest

AC- Ashtrons call.

Just to name a few

• hjrgjrhjrgjr Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Ask google about Blade and Soul, I'm sure you'll figure it out.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Try Age of Conan, or The Secret World.

What AoC did right, TSW did wrong, but what TSW did right its missing in AoC. So you would have to try them both to see which one you prefer. Both fun games and 2 of the best looking ones, after FFXIV of course.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I've given up on MMOs, I've realised that they are all the same model with a different skin and I will never get the immersion feeling I got 5+ years ago. I now stick with multiplayer FPS or single player RPGs or Simulators. For me, I doubt MMOs will be the same as they were in yester-year.
  • RecklooseReckloose Member UncommonPosts: 39

Hmmmmm....

Just a few suggestions on other game you could try:

-Neverwinter: It's an action MMO, based on D&D. Kinda instancy and not very open world, but it works well. Luckily, its free to play, so you can try it and see if you like it. It's kinda sorta holy trinity, but with pets to help fill gaps. It's also new, with pretty shiny graphics.

-DDO: It's like the other side of the neverwinter coin. Very traditional CRPG D&D MMO. It is holy trinity-ish, but D&D styled instead of EQ styled (support classes aren't made of glass, and can actually hold their own). Again, f2p so you can try and see before you spend any cash. The graphics are decent, but its a fairly old game at this point.

-LOTRO: Graphically, even with it's age, LOTRO's environment is absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, the character models are garbage... It's got the traditional trinity, good support classes, should be an option within there you would like. It's highly PvE focused, with the very interesting PvP system (it's kinda a separate game, while not being a separate game). It's free to play so you can try, but it has 100 levels now... so it's quite the grind, but there definitely is more than 100 levels worth of quests and content to go through. If you can get past the 100 levels, might be a good fit based on what you said.

-Age of Conan: Someone already said it, but it's worth saying again. Great graphics, PvE, PvP, interesting combat system, etc etc. It is low fantasy though, some people seem to have a hard time with that (low fantasy is darker, grittier, rougher. Instead of having beautiful white towers with elves, you have gross slums with slaves and such.)

• ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348

Neverwinter is not new, its dying and has horrible management. They don't know balance if the word was shoved up their ass and vomited from the mouth. Also a bit P2W with a few aspects like the best pets only available from cash shop.

Don't bother with LOTRO unless you're willing to shell out money constantly to unlock content. Yes, you can do deeds to unlock content, but unless you plan on grinding the same mobs for literally 10s of hours on multiple alts, you're not going to get enough points to unlock anything.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    ArcheAge... will be going live soon.  F2P so no investment to test it out.  LP system alone makes this one of the MMOs of the century, if not the MMO of all time.  People will be talking about it for weeks to come.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

If you find TERA combat "clunky", I think there is no help to you...

• StyxaStyxa Member UncommonPosts: 76

Archeage is ob my Radar, waiting for my Chance to play it :-)

I think I am going to spend the waiting Time with tera or arr, i like the thought to play a mmo with a controller. Does one of them have some kind of item Hunt similar to the old wow or aion, I mean you grind 3 or 4 dungeons countless of times for good gear, not this max gear via 10 or 15 runs? Would Love something like this :-)

• GrumbsGrumbs Member UncommonPosts: 20

Don't bother with LOTRO unless you're willing to shell out money constantly to unlock content. Yes, you can do deeds to unlock content, but unless you plan on grinding the same mobs for literally 10s of hours on multiple alts, you're not going to get enough points to unlock anything.

LOTRO is actually really great for the first 30 levels -- at around level 30 you hit the content that needs to be unlocked.  Well worth a try!

At level 30, if you go and create a second character and level that one to 30, you will have enough free Turbine Points to unlock level 30 to 40 content for both of them (it's unlocked on the account).

I couldn't do it however, I stopped at level 2 on my dwarf.  It would have been mostly the same content the second time around, therefore very grindy.  But it can be done.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    You could also try something completely different. Try to get your hands on beta keys for Trove and/or Landmark. Landmark just added pvp and pve combat shouldn't be too far behind. Trove is a good cross between minecraft and cube world. These games are different enough from your typical mmo to be fresh, but you also have to enjoy the building aspects to each game as well.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211

OP....I would take a good look at ArcheAge as already suggested.  The game has its flaws...that is for sure.  However it is starting to bring back that big close guild experience for me in a big time way.   I'm getting really excited and haven't logged into ESO for days.  I've been too busy with my new guild planning our AA play sessions.   If you do try a beta, don't judge the game in the first few hours you play though.  If you treat it like a typical quest based game, you may be disappointed.   The starting experience is rather underwhelming. 

I think that AA has the potential to be quite a long term game.  Things take quite a bit of effort to maintain and there are sooo many things to do, I probably won't get around to them for a long time.

Lots of other good suggestions though on this thread.

• SJStrikersSJStrikers Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Originally posted by punkrock2

I`m going to be honest here.

Not sure your MMo background BUT you should go try the old school MMO games. Get to know where it all started and just live in it. 

DAOC-Dark age of camelot

AO- anarchy online

EQ- Ever Quest

AC- Ashtrons call.

Just to name a few

DAoC was far ahead of it's time and you might really enjoy it. I agree with this guy. Another game to try that is/was fun is Shadowbane but if you're wanting a newer game your absolutely right that there feels like there is a huge lack of mmo's that really keep you playing. I am looking forward to trying ArcheAge and eventually Camelot Unchained because the game guru of Dark Age of Camelot is tackling Unchained. I wonder if they will live up to all they hype. I have been in Archeage beta and it seems like there is a learning curve and also loosely based off of the F2P rift model which is kind of depressing. I miss the old-school pay or quit(subscription) based mmo's that make you never want to log. DAoC kills WoW in every aspect. In fact I have a hard time comparing the two. DAoC was one of the first to integrate 3 realms so well and the pvp is amazing. My fan favorite.