Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

30 fps lock unacceptable

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by jircris
    people really get over your self. i play PC and console games. Honestly 30 FPS is not bad, as mentioned on page 1 your brain fills in the missing frames thanks to TV being a lower FPS then games. If it was running at 10-20 then complain but for not quite simply shut up about it and play the game or done. Now flame all you want it just proves that your a self centered egotistical moron who thinks just because they spent 1-5k on a computer that they should get the best. no it means you will be able to runs games for years to come. unlike console users who have to upgrade their systems every 5 >>

60fps at 1080p is FAR from 'the best' I had that rockin years ago.

I think what they are doing is perparing the consumer base for cloud computing and tablets.

In a few years articles will be written sayiing how you can get just as good game performance and resolution from a tablet as you can a PC.

hmmm...now we know why

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by jircris
    people really get over your self. i play PC and console games. Honestly 30 FPS is not bad, as mentioned on page 1 your brain fills in the missing frames thanks to TV being a lower FPS then games. If it was running at 10-20 then complain but for not quite simply shut up about it and play the game or done. Now flame all you want it just proves that your a self centered egotistical moron who thinks just because they spent 1-5k on a computer that they should get the best. no it means you will be able to runs games for years to come. unlike console users who have to upgrade their systems every 5 >>

60fps at 1080p is FAR from 'the best' I had that rockin years ago.

I think what they are doing is perparing the consumer base for cloud computing and tablets.

In a few years articles will be written sayiing how you can get just as good game performance and resolution from a tablet as you can a PC.

hmmm...now we know why

Or if all goes well tablets and such will actually be on par to the 60 FPS computers, consoles need to remain afordable so they cant dump what most gamers do in to it. Dont need the next XB or PS running a 2k price tag now do we.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    Well for years people have been watching movies at 24 FPS and TV at 30 FPS.  Your brain is capable of filling in the missing frames... 60 FPS+ is overkill.  

movies and tv shows are not the same as realtime 3d graphics. you CAN tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps (more than 60 is overkill i agree). 

Originally posted by Stizzled
    I can't believe this thread is still going. It's already been said, over and over again, that the game will run at 60 fps (yes locked) on PC at release, end of discussion. If you think you need more than that to justify your monster gaming rig then tough titty, your not going to get it in this game.

a few corrections

1. they are aiming for it, that doesnt mean it will happen.

2. 1080p at 60fps is FAR from 'monster pc' that has been easily done for years.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Well for years people have been watching movies at 24 FPS and TV at 30 FPS.  Your brain is capable of filling in the missing frames... 60 FPS+ is overkill.  

You need to have your eyes checked, your brain doesn't "fill" in blurry images, they just stay blurry.  TV gets away with because most of the time its people sitting or standing around NOT MOVING.  The minute the camera starts to move at any decent clip everything turns BLURRY except what the camera is focused on.  Unfortunately in computer games everything but your character model blurs when your turning at 30FPS, this is unacceptable to most people.

60FPS is the MINIMUM FPS to prevent blurry of images.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    30 fps on a TV .highly likely people won't notice given most TV have repeater .it basicly repeat each frame twice or more ,so people are right on TV ?be it 1080i or 1080p30 most won't notice .but on a PC monitor?yes they will notice.my nexus 4is smooth as butter screen wise and I am sire it doesn't have 60 hertz
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by goboygo

You need to have your eyes checked, your brain doesn't "fill" in blurry images, they just stay blurry.  TV gets away with because most of the time its people sitting or standing around NOT MOVING.  The minute the camera starts to move at any decent clip everything turns BLURRY except what the camera is focused on.  Unfortunately in computer games everything but your character model blurs when your turning at 30FPS, this is unacceptable to most people.

Really, you're telling me no motion picture or tv sports event ever had anything but people sitting?  Oh, you don't like motion blur... that natural affect you do every day of your life when you turn your head... you know... when things are moving they don't look like stills.  If you find your games blurry at 30 FPS, you're the one with the vision problem... or your refresh rate is just horrid.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by goboygo

Really, you're telling me no motion picture or tv sports event ever had anything but people sitting?  Oh, you don't like motion blur... that natural affect you do every day of your life when you turn your head... you know... when things are moving they don't look like stills.  If you find your games blurry at 30 FPS, you're the one with the vision problem... or your refresh rate is just horrid.

You seemed to have missed my point.........completely.  Let me try again, there are number of technical issues going on with FPS and refresh rates that seem to elude you.  And motion blur as a post processing "effect" should not be confused with the programs inability to redraw your screen fast enough to prevent the blurying of the game world that's rotating around the stationary game character.  Because as we all not (right?) your game character doesn't move, its a fixed object in the game world, however the game world is redrawn around the character giving the illusions of movement.  If you take away the game world your character is just running in place because,.. he is actually running in place and never moving anywhere. So he is also always in focus and can never blur unless an effect is applied.  DOF is another Post processing effect that can simulate shitty frames rates (opps couldn't resist) but once again that's a design choice.

The 30FPS issue does not rear its ugly head when your just staring at your game and not actually trying to move or turn.  So you are correct that there is no blurying at 30FPS when your not moving or barely moving or turning slowly.  How console games get around the bluring issue at 30FPS is because they do not allow the controller to move the game world around the player any faster then the hardware or software can redraw thus this magical cap of fluid gameplay can be achieved at 30FPS because the game does not allow you to eclipse it with your game controller.  This limitation is imposed primarily because of the hardware limitations of consoles.

I however own a PC, an incredibly expense gaming PC at that.  When you play a game on a PC that is locked at 30FPS you can instantly break the 30FPS barrier simply by spinning your mouse faster than any game controller could in a console game, allowing you to thus BLUR the hell out of the game world as it try's to redraw itself around the character.  That is where the problem occurs.  So to recap if you don't turn faster than the 30FPS cap your fine and you are correct, you will not detect any blurrying even at 30FPS, speed up your turns and you have a blurry mess with  30FPS and no your "brain" doesn't fill in the gaps or NVIDA would of been out of business years ago.

Now regarding your other statement about TV and sports and action and blaa blaa blaa.  I never said their was no movement of humans or objects on TV or in movies, however if the camera stays FOCUSED and that's the key stays FOCUSED only on the person or car then the person will not be blurry, but everything AROUND the person will, which is exactly what I'm talking about.  Watch a football game on the kick off, they follow the ball through the air, the entire stadium in the background is not only out of focus but totally blurrying by.  In a PC game you can focus on ANY object you want at ANY time, something you cant do watching a movie or TV.

I think I've explained enough I hope it is clearly to you than before, no pun intended.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    30 FPS vs 60FPS is like saying 720p and 1080p. Most peoples eyes cant tell the diff.

on a PC the differences are radical for both counts

It might be because of the distance of a PC monitor compared to a TV I am not sure.

oh and I typically play at 2560x1440 40-60fps

My old roommate always went on about how much more awesome his PC was then mine and it looked way better on his monitor so I dialed back his res and FPS (resized his icons) and the next time he went on about how much better it looked on his PC I told him. He played for about a week like that and had no idea. The day MMOs added FPS counters on the screen was a bad day for MMOs. Stop looking at FPS counter and just play, you will have more fun.

I lowered my resolution in Skyrim and could tell the difference instantly.

If you changed it on me and I didnt know you did I might not notice right away which is actually very troubling isnt.?

its like the frog in slowly boilng water

That has more to do with native resolution of your monitor. Most monitors (including expensive ones) just plain suck at displaying other resolutions other than their native resolution.

Just take two 27inch IPS panels. One with native 1980x1080 and one with native 2560x1440, put them next to eachother and you will see the difference isn't all that noticable.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    30 FPS vs 60FPS is like saying 720p and 1080p. Most peoples eyes cant tell the diff.

It might be because of the distance of a PC monitor compared to a TV I am not sure.

My old roommate always went on about how much more awesome his PC was then mine and it looked way better on his monitor so I dialed back his res and FPS (resized his icons) and the next time he went on about how much better it looked on his PC I told him. He played for about a week like that and had no idea. The day MMOs added FPS counters on the screen was a bad day for MMOs. Stop looking at FPS counter and just play, you will have more fun.

If you changed it on me and I didnt know you did I might not notice right away which is actually very troubling isnt.?

That has more to do with native resolution of your monitor. Most monitors (including expensive ones) just plain suck at displaying other resolutions other than their native resolution.

Just take two 27inch IPS panels. One with native 1980x1080 and one with native 2560x1440, put them next to eachother and you will see the difference isn't all that noticable.

while the overall resolution is not really the issue here as much as the framerate, if you put the 2 monitors alongside each other, both with the 1920x1080 resolution, but one running at 30fps and the other running the same game at 60 fps then you will see a marked improvement on the screen of the one running at 60fps, this is something that is so well documented i am surprised its even a point of contention. And that is just the visual effects, totally ignoring the difference in gameplay due to the different framerates effects upon the input lag from the game controller, albeit mouse/keyboard or gamepad.image

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Phry

while the overall resolution is not really the issue here as much as the framerate, if you put the 2 monitors alongside each other, both with the 1920x1080 resolution, but one running at 30fps and the other running the same game at 60 fps then you will see a marked improvement on the screen of the one running at 60fps, this is something that is so well documented i am surprised its even a point of contention. And that is just the visual effects, totally ignoring the difference in gameplay due to the different framerates effects upon the input lag from the game controller, albeit mouse/keyboard or gamepad.image

All depending on the games you play.

In a race game or any other very fast paced game. Sure you will notice difference between 30 and 60 fps.

In most standard fantasy MMO's and RPG's. Not so much.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

good thing there is 60 fps just not in the options yet

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

There is only one reason I can think of to lock a machine to 30 fps when said machine can go up to 60 and that is to make it appear as if PCs are not any better than consoles.

1080p at 30fps is a flat out joke for 2014 period...full stop...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-26-the-crew-has-artificial-30fps-lock-on-pc

And for what use is having more then 30? You can have 300 or 3000 your eye will not notice any difference or at least very hardly.

Originally posted by daltanious

There is only one reason I can think of to lock a machine to 30 fps when said machine can go up to 60 and that is to make it appear as if PCs are not any better than consoles.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-26-the-crew-has-artificial-30fps-lock-on-pc

And for what use is having more then 30? You can have 300 or 3000 your eye will not notice any difference or at least very hardly.

Actually the eye does notice the difference, even increasing the framerate to 45 fps will be noticeable. About the only time you don't notice the difference, is when a game does not utilise lots of particle effects and fast moving action, The Crew obviously is not in that category, or if it is, then its a particularly bizarre new take on driving games. More than likely they have had to 'blur' the graphics around the moving vehicles to suggest fast movement without trying to accurately render the background. What is true and perhaps where you are a bit confused about the eyes ability to differentiate, is that above 60 fps the Eye can't tell the difference, but to varying degrees, below 60fps the Eye does notice.image

• breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374

Come on now we all know why they lock it at 30 FPS now dont we.....

Aint allmost all console games with nice GFX locked at 30 since they dont got the horsepower to do more.

the fastest console right now is still behin with a pc build 5 years ago..

Capping at 30 makes the console snails out there have a chance against us pc users.

Anyone who  says 30 or 60 FPS makes no difference, They should stop playing on their Pentium2 laptop and buy a real pc.

Since you obvoisly dont got a CLUE what you are talking about.

@Phry yeah agree on that, reseached some 120hz screens since i play lotsa FPS.

I did see "some" difference in 60 or 120hz but for me not enough to buy "nother" TN screen.

So i went from 1920x1080 60hz TN with CFL backlite to an  IPS 60hz 2540x1440 now that looks good :P

Did need to opgrade my 4xGTX570 at that reso the 1.2 mega byte frame buffer was not enough running 2x290x now and i am happy :P

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    shrugs the game should have 60 fps option at release or you can unlock it your self
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Depending on how it was coded, 30 FPS maybe all you need. Moving @ 60+ FPS our eye blurs the background but your brain processes it in a way that it does not seem blurry. Coders have taken advantage of that are made 20-30 fps games look like 60 fps quality by mimicking this blur the eye sees. If the game was coded with this type of process it would look the same at 30 or 120 fps. The way to tell is take a screen shot while moving and if the background is blurry it used this trick and you wont need more the 30 fps. My guess thats why. 
    Originally posted by daltanious

Actually the eye does notice the difference, even increasing the framerate to 45 fps will be noticeable. About the only time you don't notice the difference, is when a game does not utilise lots of particle effects and fast moving action, The Crew obviously is not in that category, or if it is, then its a particularly bizarre new take on driving games. More than likely they have had to 'blur' the graphics around the moving vehicles to suggest fast movement without trying to accurately render the background. What is true and perhaps where you are a bit confused about the eyes ability to differentiate, is that above 60 fps the Eye can't tell the difference, but to varying degrees, below 60fps the Eye does notice.image

The difference you eye can see over 30 fps is very small. Some people have been able to tell a difference at 300 fps but thats rare. Most people wont notice. My friend used to teas me non-stop how his rig was better so I turned down his fps for a week and when I told him at the end of the week, he had no clue lol

30fps in a racing game is out of the question. wouldnt touch such a game

edited December 2015
    When something is moving our eyes cant process more then 30 frames a second. We see things blurred and our brain stitches things together to see something that makes sense. Programmers have made backgrounds in games have this blurred effect to fool us into thinking we are seeing more frames per second then we really are. Take a screen shot while the camera is moving and if the background is blurry you know this is being used. 

Funny thing is when you get a gaming rig that can do 60-120 FPS and the game is rendered so its a tue 60-120 FPS, our brain starts doing the blurry moving background on its own. We see the same thing at 30 FPS as we do at 120. So we get it one way or the other. The programmer fake the blurry motions our eyes process naturally or we get 60+ FPS and our eyes see it naturally what the programmers faked. 

60 FPS is the max people can make out and thats not everyone. Most peoples eye sights past the age of 25 starts to degrade to the point it matters little. Maybe you are of the few who can but it matters little when you look at the scope of who is playing. For the majority, 30 FPS is all we really need. If you think Im wrong, most movies run at 24-48 FPS, even the new beloved Star Wars movie that just came out. 
    SEANMCAD said:

All I'm asking you to do is to calm down and to stop being so dramatic. Your usually a fairly sensible poster on these boards, and yet your starting to act like a child who's had his favorite toy taken away, but you haven't lost anything.

The sky isn't falling, and this isn't signalling the end of unlocked fps. The devs are simply trying to work with a baseline, something that's easy to do on the consoles, but not so much on PC due to the high range of hardware. They can't control what hardware a user might have, but they can control the fps and work from there.

You may not like that, but ti was their decision and your simply going to have to respect it. All you can do is decide whether you want to play the game or not.

your right that I need to calm down but to suggest I havent lost anything is woefully inaccurate.

There are tons of games and IPs that I would love to play but they are crap for various different reasons, from ESO to this game. As a person who loves to play games it affects my enjoyment dramatically to the point where there is only a handful of games I find acceptable when I know for a FACT that games could be soo much better as well as a huge positive impact on society as a whole.

So, basically this has gone way beyond the frame rates of The Crew and your now just complaining about the state of gaming in general, right? Well, I'm sorry that most developers aren't worried about pushing the envelope very far any more. I'm also sorry that you can't have any fun with games that don't push the boundaries to the degree that you think they should have. Not much else can be said I guess, time to sell your PC and pick up another hobby.

you are likely correct.

the only problem is I still enjoy gaming more so than other hobbies and I can see very clearly what CAN happen so yeah its frustrating when I see it not being done. Maybe I will take up cross stitching since its clear we want to stay in 1995

The problem most people really only see at about 30 FPS and gaming systems owned by most people cant do 60+ FPS. Designing a game to a smaller market is just dumb. Then you take a game like Halo 5 that went 1080P @ 60 FPS but because of that they could not do split screen. We are not always gaining by going 60 FPS. We are losing features and community size by going down that path. 
    Nanfoodle said:
    When something is moving our eyes cant process more then 30 frames a second. We see things blurred and our brain stitches things together to see something that makes sense. Programmers have made backgrounds in games have this blurred effect to fool us into thinking we are seeing more frames per second then we really are. Take a screen shot while the camera is moving and if the background is blurry you know this is being used. 

Funny thing is when you get a gaming rig that can do 60-120 FPS and the game is rendered so its a tue 60-120 FPS, our brain starts doing the blurry moving background on its own. We see the same thing at 30 FPS as we do at 120. So we get it one way or the other. The programmer fake the blurry motions our eyes process naturally or we get 60+ FPS and our eyes see it naturally what the programmers faked. 

60 FPS is the max people can make out and thats not everyone. Most peoples eye sights past the age of 25 starts to degrade to the point it matters little. Maybe you are of the few who can but it matters little when you look at the scope of who is playing. For the majority, 30 FPS is all we really need. If you think Im wrong, most movies run at 24-48 FPS, even the new beloved Star Wars movie that just came out. 
    No offense, but that's a nice pack of nonsense you posted there. Brain adding blur ? Depends on what you drank before, I guess ;)

If you can't see the difference between 24/30 and 60 fps, then there's a problem with your eyes. And I can definitely also see the difference between 60 and 90 fps. My eyes aren't perfect btw, I'm wearing glasses since I was 6.

The blur you have in some games is artificial motion blur, replicating the motion blur you have in 24fps movies because of the camera's exposure time (and that's a wanted effect the movie creators use). It definitely doesn't compensate for the lack of fps.
    I suggest you watch some youtube videos on motion blur. Its programmed into games to mimic what our eyes sees when looking at something over 30 FPS. Some people can see the difference but most can not. If you can, you are some of the few. 
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Have there been any new medical studies to prove people can tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps?

All the studies I've seen shows that the human eye can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

Unless being able to see the difference is a trained response between the eye and brain I don't see how this is a huge issue.  I know people say they can see the difference (I tend to think I can too) but again, is there any hard proof it's a thing?
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

No offense, but that's a nice pack of nonsense you posted there. Brain adding blur ? Depends on what you drank before, I guess ;)

If you can't see the difference between 24/30 and 60 fps, then there's a problem with your eyes. And I can definitely also see the difference between 60 and 90 fps. My eyes aren't perfect btw, I'm wearing glasses since I was 6.

The blur you have in some games is artificial motion blur, replicating the motion blur you have in 24fps movies because of the camera's exposure time (and that's a wanted effect the movie creators use). It definitely doesn't compensate for the lack of fps.
    I suggest you watch some youtube videos on motion blur. Its programmed into games to mimic what our eyes sees when looking at something over 30 FPS. Some people can see the difference but most can not. If you can, you are some of the few. 
    if you continue watching some youtube video's then you will find a few that explain that most people can actually tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps, not the least of which is youtubes viewing options, where if its available you can watch a hd playback at.. wait for it.. 60 fps.
    If you can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps, then chances are, you have an eyesight problem, its really not the norm, its the exception. You might find this interesting.

http://www.technologyx.com/featured/understanding-frame-rate-look-truth-behind-30v60-fps/

There are many reasons why 30 fps is chosen for a game, but its usually because of hardware limitations on particular platform, rather than a human one.
    scorpex-x said:
    Have there been any new medical studies to prove people can tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps?

All the studies I've seen shows that the human eye can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

Unless being able to see the difference is a trained response between the eye and brain I don't see how this is a huge issue.  I know people say they can see the difference (I tend to think I can too) but again, is there any hard proof it's a thing?
    60 FPS is still the max a human eye can detect, most peoples eye sight is far from perfect. Even people that can tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS often can only do so with two monitors side by side with one showing the lower and the other showing the higher FPS. Thats why movies ;theater play at 24-48 FPS. "MOST" people cant tell the difference.