Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion must be desperate.....

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by Aparition
    ludicrous my ass, there is money being deducted from my bank account under the guise of Trion Rift, for the purchase of a Trion Archeage founders pack, they obviously have my credit card details on file somewhere from years ago when i payed a sub for Rift, and now some newb in there has decided to charge me for a game i dont even wanna play, so all your bs about they "cant " do this and they " cant" do that, is ludicrous

C'mon man. Its not some clandestine charge under the "guise" of Trion. If I steal your credit card and buy a soda at a 7-11. The charge is going to say 7-11 on your statement. Doesn't mean 7-11 stole your credit card info and bought themselves a soda to buff their bottom line on the next financial statement. 

I've taken to downloading authenticators onto my smartphone and setting them up...even for games I'm not going to play anymore. People are shifty fucks. I had the same thing happen at SOE once . It does suck regardless.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by DMKano

Your accusation that game companies would intentionaly try to rip off their customers for $150 is ludicrous.

No game company would do this - as it's a loss of revenue (chargeback fees) and a loss of customer - also it's completely illegal.

So what do game companies do to protect themselves from their possible mistakes, or a rogue employee?

1. Game companies do NOT know your account password - yes - Trion has no freaking clue what your account password because it's encrypted in their systems

2. Billing info (such as paypal accounts and CC info) is not kept on any of their systems - game companies do this for security and for PCI compliance. So how do they retain your payment info month to month? - They don't - external billing companies actually retain your info - the game companies just use a secure token ID to associate a user account to external billing company - which actually keeps all that stuff on their secure payment processing systems.

So - in reality Trion CAN NOT initiate a new charge for your  account (repeating monthly charges are different - which again you have to setup yourself) - without your credentials (which they don't have) nor without your payment info - which again they don't have.

The more you know.

Billing companies can charge wrong users however - that can happen.

That's not quite true Kano, you're oblivious if you think a company won't do something like that.

Nexon Entertainment tried to max out my game account for 90.00 USD.

I've also worked for a company that and found out that they forged false documentation and impersonated people; I left shortly after finding this out. So a company helping themselves to a few dollars? I can believe it.

Turbine has had "transaction issues" throughout the years caused some people to lose their entire bank accounts it's a recurring "issue" Turbine has.

Agree. Kano stop believing the company you believe in is incapable of such faults.  Gamers need to continually be aware.   They are only companies and subject to faults like all others despite them offering our favorite games. 

• ThestrainThestrain Member CommonPosts: 390
    Wasn't recently there was a security breach at Trion? i am sure i read about it recently.
  • GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

As much as I want Trion to succeed (Archeage is one hell of a game!) to me, as it was already stated on Trion forums, is just dodging responsibility. The fact that multiples accounts were hacked in a short period of time leads to a directional attack or intrusion.

Possibly Trion is right and there were bots involved, but I honestly think that those botnets took advantage of a vulnerability in Trion's applications to retrieve data or issue commands through CnC infected servers.

On a side note, I won't even conceive the idea that it was done on purpose.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Kano, by Trion even having that unique ID code "xxxxxxxxxxx" they have access to your account period. Sure the billing company has the actual info but that doesn't mean Trion can't forward the ID to make a "transaction". 

...you need to read better the post you reply to.

Customer and billing company holds billing information - cc, paypal, etc.
    Trion holds account name with hashed(inreversible encryption) password and ID.

They do no know the billing info thus they cannot pass the transaction.

You are really naive as you think that all happens like on single phone call: "Hey Joe, charge that random guy with 150 USD" -> 150 USD deducted from random guys account.

Simplicity is good, oversimplification is not...

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Ghabbo

The fact that multiples accounts were hacked

No accounts were hacked.

Your way of thinking is completely falacious.

Just read up the story linked above - 1.2B account credentials stolen by some russian group. Mostly from housholds and small sites.

It would be terribly inefficient trying to get equal amount of credential data from large, well protected databases.

What you actually do is you get the data from weakly protected targets and then throw it against those well protected ones, you do not need to bother breaching them, you can get an account info from other sources with significantly less effort.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Your accusation that game companies would intentionaly try to rip off their customers for $150 is ludicrous.

No game company would do this - as it's a loss of revenue (chargeback fees) and a loss of customer - also it's completely illegal.

I wasn't aware that game companies operate at a higher standard than many other companies.  I've experiences many false charges over the years working with much larger companies.  Why a game company would be incapable of this type of behavior is a rather ludicrous statement on your part.

Edit: I've noticed that you have a habit of making these kind of posts without any sort of evidence to back up your claims.  I'd suggest you take a step back, DMK and consider what you are writing before clicking that post button.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by mbrodie
    im curious who even has the same card for 5 years, i know mine wear out and need to be replaced after about 8 months and everytime i get a new card it has a new number on it, even if it's linked to the same account.. even my credit cards, each time i get a new card my online banking accounts change numbers to show that my credit cards have new numbers.... i have no idea how you have kept a card for 5 years.

well if you have to replace your card every 8 months then idk, i take good care of my stuff. I only change my card when its about to expire. But yeah i agree with you about the 5 year time. It doesnt take 5 years to expire/replace the card (not on my bank at least). And when i get a new card, i cant make any purchase on my registered game account unless i update the account with the new card info. So Im not really sure whats going on with the OP. Maybe he got hacked or something.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Another day, another round of slander on the MMORPG.com forums.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Way too many people passing uninformed judgments based on facts they they completely fabricated.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by mbrodie
    im curious who even has the same card for 5 years, i know mine wear out and need to be replaced after about 8 months and everytime i get a new card it has a new number on it, even if it's linked to the same account.. even my credit cards, each time i get a new card my online banking accounts change numbers to show that my credit cards have new numbers.... i have no idea how you have kept a card for 5 years.

Well I have had the same credit card number for years... many banking institutions reuse the same number, only change the expiration date and 3 digit code on the back.  So it's entirely possible to have the same number for over 20 years if you never change credit card companies.

They don't make it a habit of giving out new account numbers for the same reason as the phone company doesn't change your number every time you get a solicitation call... they would run out of numbers.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Ghabbo

The fact that multiples accounts were hacked

No accounts were hacked.

Your way of thinking is completely falacious.

Just read up the story linked above - 1.2B account credentials stolen by some russian group. Mostly from housholds and small sites.

It would be terribly inefficient trying to get equal amount of credential data from large, well protected databases.

What you actually do is you get the data from weakly protected targets and then throw it against those well protected ones, you do not need to bother breaching them, you can get an account info from other sources with significantly less effort.

Well, that's your opinion and I respect that (I do not agree, of course).

For me the Russian incident is something totally unrelated to this. In any case, why we didn't hear about WoD, C.R.E.E.D, Plex, or ESO Imperial Editions purchases? Again, everything points to a security vulnerability.

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Blaze_Rocker

So what do game companies do to protect themselves from their possible mistakes, or a rogue employee?

1. Game companies do NOT know your account password - yes - Trion has no freaking clue what your account password because it's encrypted in their systems

2. Billing info (such as paypal accounts and CC info) is not kept on any of their systems - game companies do this for security and for PCI compliance. So how do they retain your payment info month to month? - They don't - external billing companies actually retain your info - the game companies just use a secure token ID to associate a user account to external billing company - which actually keeps all that stuff on their secure payment processing systems.

So - in reality Trion CAN NOT initiate a new charge for your  account (repeating monthly charges are different - which again you have to setup yourself) - without your credentials (which they don't have) nor without your payment info - which again they don't have.

The more you know.

Billing companies can charge wrong users however - that can happen.

As another poster has mentioned, this has happened to several others on this site lately. I think another user's WoW account was also hacked, or at least suffered the same type of problem. It sounds to me less like game account hacking and more like the "billing company" or some link in the chain from the game company to the billing company has somehow been compromised.

Prepaid game timecards are looking more and more like the most secure payment method when you consider all these wannabe hackers and recent databreaches.

the thing is, 2 days later Trion admitted it was their fault, not hackers, not billing companies, but that was 2 days too late to stop me canceling my card and having to reset all the things that card was linked too, cause they rummaged around their data base, and decided to sell people items, they didnt want to buy in the first place

Ok, so they admitted it and did they return the money back? If they did then I wouldn't say they are getting desperate, it would be just a mistake and they are being responsible about it. People make mistake, a company consist of people. Stuff like this happen, Blizzard did it to me once and they did pay me back.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Not sure if someone already posted this:
    http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?32346-Regarding-Reports-of-Unauthorized-Transactions&p=342360&viewfull=1#post342360

"Regarding Reports of Unauthorized Transactions

To our Alpha and Beta testers,

Let us start by saying this very clearly: Trion Worlds' security has not been compromised in any way. There has been absolutely no breach in Trion’s servers.

What happened in the last few hours is sadly nothing new: every day, bots obtain user credentials from various unprotected sites around the Internet, build lists of login and passwords, and try them on Trion's servers (along with many other sites). If players consistently use simple or repeated passwords across different online services, these bots may get access to their accounts. Because of the current momentum around ArcheAge, hundreds of millions of such attempts were made from well over a million different IP addresses in the last few weeks, only a fraction of which ended up being successful today.

The team has already started providing refunds and all players affected by fraudulent charges will be automatically refunded within the next few hours today.

As previously mentioned, this type of issue is recurrent in the online world and Trion has actually been working on a solution to address this particular problem for a while now. Coincidentally, starting Thursday, we are adding a new security feature to Glyph to help keep player accounts safe: when players log in from a new computer or a place that we haven’t seen them log in from before, they’ll be asked to verify that it really is them logging in, by entering a code emailed to their account’s primary email address.

Trion Worlds encourages all players to update their existing passwords and to make sure to use different, secure passwords for across the Internet. Players can go here to update their account information immediately, including their passwords and login information: https://session.trionworlds.com/login. If you believe that this has happened your account and have any questions, please contact Trion Customer Support as soon as possible: https://support.trionworlds.com/";

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

The tone of some of the posts here is.. well, special.

I believe Trion will fix the security issue but they will not be able to fix ArcheAge's community.

Harbinger of Fools
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Reading this thread makes it abundantly clear why the goldsellers are so successful in ripping people off. The ignorance, ego, attitude, entitlement and general misinformation displayed here is astounding.

Ripping-off many of these "gamer's" must be easier than taking candy from a sleeping baby, lol

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Jaedor

Not sure if someone already posted this:
    http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?32346-Regarding-Reports-of-Unauthorized-Transactions&p=342360&viewfull=1#post342360

"Regarding Reports of Unauthorized Transactions

To our Alpha and Beta testers,

Let us start by saying this very clearly: Trion Worlds' security has not been compromised in any way. There has been absolutely no breach in Trion’s servers.

What happened in the last few hours is sadly nothing new: every day, bots obtain user credentials from various unprotected sites around the Internet, build lists of login and passwords, and try them on Trion's servers (along with many other sites). If players consistently use simple or repeated passwords across different online services, these bots may get access to their accounts. Because of the current momentum around ArcheAge, hundreds of millions of such attempts were made from well over a million different IP addresses in the last few weeks, only a fraction of which ended up being successful today.

The team has already started providing refunds and all players affected by fraudulent charges will be automatically refunded within the next few hours today.

As previously mentioned, this type of issue is recurrent in the online world and Trion has actually been working on a solution to address this particular problem for a while now. Coincidentally, starting Thursday, we are adding a new security feature to Glyph to help keep player accounts safe: when players log in from a new computer or a place that we haven’t seen them log in from before, they’ll be asked to verify that it really is them logging in, by entering a code emailed to their account’s primary email address.

Trion Worlds encourages all players to update their existing passwords and to make sure to use different, secure passwords for across the Internet. Players can go here to update their account information immediately, including their passwords and login information: https://session.trionworlds.com/login. If you believe that this has happened your account and have any questions, please contact Trion Customer Support as soon as possible: https://support.trionworlds.com/";

Honestly I hate the whole email us crap to verify this or that.  What's the number one phishing scam approach... "official looking emails" from the developer.  They don't need to know our damn email address.  We should be able to log in to their website and verify who we are, no matter where in the world we are, based on the response to security questions.  If our account is in question, do you really think that email address you are sending to isn't also in question?  

It's like, hello thief, we need you to click on this link so that you may pillage our customers account.  Thank you and have a nice day.  Oh, we are legally obligated to ask this, this is your account, correct?

Of course it is, why would I lie about a thing like that?

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Gdemami

all cards in my country have like a 2 or 3 year expiry on them, that doesnt change all your details though

And why do you think there is an expiration date? It changes enough to make the card invalid...

Your lack of critical thinking is astounding but not surprising and so is your ego - yeah, definitely not a mistake that happens to anyone, an intention...

The ONLY thing that expires on my card every 3 years, is the date. The number, the CCV and everything else remains the same. If there was any changes making the card invalid, then why have I been able to pay for a WoW sub with it, for 7-8 years, without doing any change whatsoever?

Hard personal attacks on the OP, just because you don't believe his claim, that's saying a lot about you really.

Go back under your bridge, please.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Originally posted by grimal

I wasn't aware that game companies operate at a higher standard than many other companies.  I've experiences many false charges over the years working with much larger companies.  Why a game company would be incapable of this type of behavior is a rather ludicrous statement on your part.

Edit: I've noticed that you have a habit of making these kind of posts without any sort of evidence to back up your claims.  I'd suggest you take a step back, DMK and consider what you are writing before clicking that post button.

Not that DMKano needs me to speak for him, but I think the point is the OP was accusing Trion of intentionally trying to defraud their customers, which I agree with him, no legitimate firm will ever try to do.

Sure, we've all had false charges on our accounts, and in most cases they are honest errors, well, except for situations such as phone companies did years ago switching your long distance and what not, but those normally end up in class action.

Even the mistake I had with Trion back in May wasn't because they were trying to sneak something past me and sign me up for RIFT, something glitched in the ordering process that reactivated my old RIFT account and card.  They weren't trying to cheat me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by grimal

Not that DMKano needs me to speak for him, but I think the point is the OP was accusing Trion of intentionally trying to defraud their customers, which I agree with him, no legitimate firm will ever try to do.

Sure, we've all had false charges on our accounts, and in most cases they are honest errors, well, except for situations such as phone companies did years ago switching your long distance and what not, but those normally end up in class action.

Even the mistake I had with Trion back in May wasn't because they were trying to sneak something past me and sign me up for RIFT, something glitched in the ordering process that reactivated my old RIFT account and card.  They weren't trying to cheat me.

What are you talking about?  No legitimate firm will ever try to do?  Do you live in Disneyland or something?  There are reports and class action suits that happen on a daily basis brought against much larger companies than Trion could ever hope to be citing similar complaints.

If you think that just because a company has filed the necessary paperwork to become an actual entity that it somehow brings a level of legitimacy to them, then you have much to learn.

Edit: Sure, it's easy to believe this incidents may be accidental, but time has shown us again and again that we are constantly plagued by companies and leaders that will do just that.  I don't mean to go into the political realm, but in case you haven't noticed, our economy is in the shithole right now due to just that.

So, please leave the rosy colored glasses at the door and engage in some real conversation here.   If you want to live a fantasy, so be it.  But there is a lot of crappy stuff going on and if someone experiences it, they have every right to voice it if it concerns an MMORPG and their experiences with that company.