Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Once more LFG

brian72282brian72282 Member UncommonPosts: 783

I've played nearly everything on the market.  Over the last year I've played EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, Archeage, Wildstar, GW2, FFXIV, WoW, and most recently Darkfall.

I'm looking for a game I can do meaningful crafting in and contribute to a clan or alliance.  I love crafting when it makes sense and has a purpose.  Any suggestions?  Doesn't matter if its sub based or f2p.  Oh and I've played Fallen Earth before.  Not my cup of tea with the changes they made.

Comments

• pacov81pacov81 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Archeage. Should be released in a month or two.
  • brian72282brian72282 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by pacov81
    Archeage. Should be released in a month or two.

No.  I was an Alpha player and got a refund.  That game is not as advertised and sucks hard (according to me anyways).

• r3volt21r3volt21 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Tera might be worth a look I enjoy it have played for quite a while.  At max lvl u pick an alliance and do task + pvp all the best gear even pvp is crafted but if u want the very best gear its a very big grind.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Originally posted by r3volt21
    Tera might be worth a look I enjoy it have played for quite a while.  At max lvl u pick an alliance and do task + pvp all the best gear even pvp is crafted but if u want the very best gear its a very big grind.

^ Plus they are having their BAM Killer event now which can net you free cash shop junk everyday (a chance at least) till 9/16, so worth killing time on.

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433
    Originally posted by brian72282

I'm looking for a game I can do meaningful crafting in and contribute to a clan or alliance.  I love crafting when it makes sense and has a purpose.  Any suggestions?  Doesn't matter if its sub based or f2p.  Oh and I've played Fallen Earth before.  Not my cup of tea with the changes they made.

You could try Achaea. Factions always need crafters, whether you're a blacksmith who forges weapons and armor, or a Druid who brews potions and elixirs, or a Magi who can enchant items.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Swg has pretty meaningful crafting probably the best
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

This is exactly the kind of thing Pathfinder Online is aiming for. Players will run their  own settlements and crafters will be hugely valuable. Early Enrollment costs about $50 to buy into and starts in about 2 weeks.

Originally posted by iridescence

This is exactly the kind of thing Pathfinder Online is aiming for. Players will run their  own settlements and crafters will be hugely valuable. Early Enrollment costs about $50 to buy into and starts in about 2 weeks.

I'm waiting till release on PO.  Because its the kind of game I can find myself spending years on (like SWG).

As far as the new Star Wars MMO...its awful.  Crafting is basically pointless and there's nothing to really do at max level except grind Huttball or Raid, and their raids aren't really fun for me.

• herbalaspherbalasp Member Posts: 1
    if your looking for something where your crafting will be a huge contribution to your fellow players and also make you rich you should try EVE online. every single item in game is either crafted or gathered by players. there is not a single group of serious people that would turn away someone who wanted to crank out goods to contribute to the cause :) 
  • readytoklausreadytoklaus Member Posts: 3
    The Secret World? Firefall? Maybe Realm Of The Mad God? Those're my off-kilter choices for myself. All worth a try.
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Final Fantasy 14

Crafters are their own class, with their own skills, like a battle class. except you are fighting to make something high quality instead of dead

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Just wait 2 months for Dragon Age Inquisition. Its not a mmo (it has multiplayer options though) but most mmo's acts like single player games anymore. So imho in the end its better to play a high quality game like Dragon Age, which is b2p, than a mmo who acts like a single player one and is of much lower quality in almost every aspect. Very few ppl plays mmo's for the social part.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

OP you mention you want a game with meaningful crafting system and a way to contribute to a clan/guild.  Well this sounds like Archeage.  I know you played in Alpha BUT its going live in Sept I think and its free.  I'd save give it a full on whirl, and by that I mean, get in there, join a clan, get past level 30, possibly to the level cap and get into the game as it is now.

I know you probably played a lot in alpha or not.  but the game sounds like what you are looking for.  its craft heavy and the whole economy is based on crafting.  and independent clans will be able to break away and for their own countries I think?  so you giving them help by crafting is going to help a ton!

Its going to be free, so I'd definitely go back to it.  As for FFXIV, its PVE HEAVY.  You already tried it, so its not up your alley I guess.  I've played all the games you have discussed AND will give Archeage a full 3-6 months.  (I regrettably abandoned FFXIV after 2 months, thankfully abandoned ESO after 2-3).  After giving Archeage a full once over (free if needed) for 3-6 months then I'll decide if its endgame pve and pvp is tolerable and either stay there or just go back to FFXIV's PVE grindfest (which isn't too bad).

What didn't you like about archeage?  I mean it meets your two main goals you posted.  It must have done a million little things you didn't like if it made you want to quit.

in your case, if archeage truly isn't what you want, then go with Eve.  or juggle both and see how it goes. 

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
    Originally posted by time007

OP you mention you want a game with meaningful crafting system and a way to contribute to a clan/guild.  Well this sounds like Archeage.  I know you played in Alpha BUT its going live in Sept I think and its free.  I'd save give it a full on whirl, and by that I mean, get in there, join a clan, get past level 30, possibly to the level cap and get into the game as it is now.

I know you probably played a lot in alpha or not.  but the game sounds like what you are looking for.  its craft heavy and the whole economy is based on crafting.  and independent clans will be able to break away and for their own countries I think?  so you giving them help by crafting is going to help a ton!

Its going to be free, so I'd definitely go back to it.  As for FFXIV, its PVE HEAVY.  You already tried it, so its not up your alley I guess.  I've played all the games you have discussed AND will give Archeage a full 3-6 months.  (I regrettably abandoned FFXIV after 2 months, thankfully abandoned ESO after 2-3).  After giving Archeage a full once over (free if needed) for 3-6 months then I'll decide if its endgame pve and pvp is tolerable and either stay there or just go back to FFXIV's PVE grindfest (which isn't too bad).

What didn't you like about archeage?  I mean it meets your two main goals you posted.  It must have done a million little things you didn't like if it made you want to quit.

in your case, if archeage truly isn't what you want, then go with Eve.  or juggle both and see how it goes. 

Lets cover Archeage first.

While there are many classes leading to like 120+ combinations, realistically only 5-7 of them are actually viable for anything other than sitting in your house with your thumb in your butt.  I did both PvP and PvE and the whole game was just lacking to me.  The PvE wasn't well thought out, the PvP required you to play one of those 5-7 combinations with very little variation.  The crafting was decent, but the nerfs to trade routes really removed the vast majority of the reason to craft.  My family (in-game) literally controlled the vast majority of a zone ourselves with a total of 8 houses and I think like 24+ farms?  Even the largest guild in the game hesitated to come over and mess with us with anything less than 24 people as it was our turf.

Another beef with AA is the fact that its a themepark.  Its not a sandbox, as much as they try and make it appear to be one.  Its level-based, and the crafting isn't even the driving factor of the economy, the drops are.

As far as Eve goes I used to play Eve.  Problem is it takes so long to be able to decently craft so its hard to contribute in a meaningful way.  I may look into it more if I can find a corp/alliance that I'd fit into well.

FFXIV I played and again its a themepark.  And the raiding is uninspired and lazy.

Bump back to the top.

Tried Marvel Heroes, find myself preferring PoE much more or even D3.  But those aren't scratching the itch that I am having.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    If you really do just want good crafting, and not crafting plus a bunch of other stuff that you're not telling us about, then you have to try A Tale in the Desert.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    I am also an ex-Anarchy Online player and I've been enjoying crafting in Therian Saga. It's browser based but i'd totally recommend it if not for the fact the game is not stable at the moment after a failed server migration.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

Bump back to the top.  Still need a home!
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I'm just going to throw out titles I've enjoyed that haven't been mentioned (or at least I didn't see them):

TSW

UO

SWG-EMU

Rust (not MMO but fun online play on servers)

ESO

DCUO

EQ2 - I know you already played it but maybe create an alt?

Batman : Arkham series

Just Cause 2

APB

Tera (someone may have mentioned)

Wasteland 2 (haven't played yet but heard good things)

GW1 or 2

7 Days to Die

Planet Zomboid