Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazing article detailing the innovation of EQN and Storybricks

Comments

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,646

Why are so many EQN supporters speaking about Storybricks as if its fully implemented and working in the game already?

Can we just wait to see how it actually works in game before comparing this to ANY playable game right now?

Storybricks is a great systems, it has a lot of potential but that's all it is right now - potential, a possibility.

Comparing a hypothetical system to an actual working system is pointless.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 570

i feel dumber for having read this thread.

why do i come here anymore

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by Markusrind
    Originally posted by Azoth

Now if it does save coding time I am all for it, and that alone would be a pretty good reason to use it.

You should read the link provided by the OP as a big part of why Storybricks is so different is because the way it is designed means that the way content is introduced and the speed things can be changed is a huge part of the design. I think a lot of us are tying to discuss something and too many people simply haven't read what is being discussed and so things are having to be explained when it is pretty much there in the link.

Can you point to me where in there they say it will be faster to code and add content ?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by DMKano

Why are so many EQN supporters speaking about Storybricks as if its fully implemented and working in the game already?

Can we just wait to see how it actually works in game before comparing this to ANY playable game right now?

Storybricks is a great systems, it has a lot of potential but that's all it is right now - potential, a possibility.

If this is the case why does MMORPG.com create forums for MMOs before they are released? Or, if the discussion is pointless why do people who want to talk about how it won't work, even comment? People on both sides like to hypothesize based upon what is known, even if what is know hasn't been fully shown (full seuss baby!).

What is more pointless to me is spending time posting negatively rather than positively when something isn't "shown".  Nothing that I've seen here so far has gone out of the bounds provided by SoE.  If someone doesn't think SoE can pull it off why even comment or care? Is it so offensive that people are excited about something they have to comment?

Of course things may not turn out the way SoE wants.  Regardless I would rather spend time being positive and excited about the possibilities enough to share that feeling with others.

Originally posted by Aelious

If this is the case why does MMORPG.com create forums for MMOs before they are released? Or, if the discussion is pointless why do people who want to talk about how it won't work, even comment? People on both sides like to hypothesize based upon what is known, even if what is know hasn't been fully shown (full seuss baby!).

What is more pointless to me is spending time posting negatively rather than positively when something isn't "shown".  Nothing that I've seen here so far has gone out of the bounds provided by SoE.  If someone doesn't think SoE can pull it off why even comment or care? Is it so offensive that people are excited about something they have to comment?

Of course things may not turn out the way SoE wants.  Regardless I would rather spend time being positive and excited about the possibilities enough to share that feeling with others.

I am all for discussion of upcoming games - but comparing EQN Storybricks *right now* to any of the dynamic quest systems from actual *live* games is just silly.

We have NO idea how storybricks will turn out - I think talking about all the possibilites is awesome - but saying how Storybricks *is better* than anything out now is not dealing with reality.

At least say *might be* or *could be* - nothing wrong with that.

Example -

Storybricks is better than GW2s dynamic event system - nope, sorry

Storybricks could be better than any dynamic event system in history - yep I have no issues with this at all.

Like the title of this very post - should be 

Amazing article detailing the *POSSIBLE* innovation of EQN and Storybricks - because it hasn't happened yet.

Speaking about storybricks in EQN as if it's already done ... yeah no.

That's my entire point.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840

If people didn't care, they wouldn't bother with negative posts. People do care about the name Everquest. What is posting negatively anyway ? Is simply having an opposite opinion negative ? And why would your enthusiasm for the possibility be more valid than my realistic view on what is real.

We are all just sharing opinions. If everyone agreed that EQN is the next baby jesus, this thread would of been over already.

If people didn't care, they wouldn't bother with negative posts. People do care about the name Everquest. What is posting negatively anyway ? Is simply having an opposite opinion negative ? And why would your enthusiasm for the possibility be more valid than my realistic view on what is real.

We are all just sharing opinions. If everyone agreed that EQN is the next baby jesus, this thread would of been over already.

If we just agreed that EQN *might be* the next baby jesus - that would do it for me.

I just have a problem with folks saying that it already is - have to call BS on that.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

If we just agreed that EQN *might be* the next baby jesus - that would do it for me.

I just have a problem with folks saying that it already is - have to call BS on that.

Aka .. you are just being picky about wording.

Technically from a technical stand point. It WILL be better as long as they achieve what they say they will. I think that is a better way to word it.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

I am all for discussion of upcoming games - but comparing EQN Storybricks *right now* to any of the dynamic quest systems from actual *live* games is just silly.

We have NO idea how storybricks will turn out - I think talking about all the possibilites is awesome - but saying how Storybricks *is better* than anything out now is not dealing with reality.

At least say *might be* or *could be* - nothing wrong with that.

Example -

Storybricks is better than GW2s dynamic event system - nope, sorry

Storybricks could be better than any dynamic event system in history - yep I have no issues with this at all.

Like the title of this very post - should be 

Amazing article detailing the *POSSIBLE* innovation of EQN and Storybricks - because it hasn't happened yet.

Speaking about storybricks in EQN as if it's already done ... yeah no.

That's my entire point.

Except your point is just ranting at this stage.  You have been going off about this for several weeks now.

Im not sure why you are so upset over this, but its time to get over it.

This is no different than telling every single person that says "ArcheAge is great!" that "hey, its not great to everyone, saying "In my opinion ArcheAge is great" would be the correct phrase".

Originally posted by Brabbit1987

only when it applies to EQN

Technically from a technical stand point. It WILL be better as long as they achieve what they say they will. I think that is a better way to word it.

All we have here is words - there's no body language, there's no tone.

Call it whatever you wish.

Saying "it will be better" requires a qualifier  - "as long as they achieve what they say they will", without a qualifier it sounds presumptuous.

Saying "it might be better" is better to me as it doesn't require any qualifier

Just my 2c

Saying "it will be better" requires a qualifier  - "as long as they achieve what they say they will", without a qualifier it sounds presumptuous.

Just my 2c

The question is, why do you care?

That SB in EQN is not a working reality is known.  This discussion is about the possibilities of EQN based upon it working as spoken by SoE and comparing that to what is currently out there.  If you think everyone should premise a "might be" in any comparison is fine but I think the implication is already there.  I agree that we are all sharing opinions and I think that is great.  This is a hypothetical discussion so using the fact it's not working, or shown to work, isn't really taking the conversation further IMO, it's restating and arguing over a detail that is already known.  I guess that's why I see it as useless negativity.

Originally posted by syriinx

Wrong

The question is, why do you care?

Why do any of us care?

Wrong

I'll back this up.  You may be very critical on points regarding EQN but you've also stated your hope that it turns out great.  You've been a very aggressive Switzerland image

Just my 2c

Saying it "might be better" wouldn't be accurate, because that would also apply to if they accomplished everything they set out to do. It would be odd to say something might be better when you already know it is. Which is why you add a qualifier to be more specific.

Aka .. you wanted to get picky, so I am getting even more picky lol.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Meet the new hype, same as the old hype...

Wrong

I'll back this up.  You may be very critical on points regarding EQN but you've also stated your hope that it turns out great.  You've been a very aggressive Switzerland image

My greatest wish is that EQN turns out exactly how SoE has been talking about it - I would love nothing more than to play such an amazing game.

It would be the greatest MMORPG in history IMO - and I'd love every second of it.

There's nothing better than witnessing leaps in technology and progress right in front of your eyes and then being able to actually play it and enjoy it.

I find it hard to believe that there's anyone who would NOT want to play such a game here.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,647
    Originally posted by Markn
    Originally posted by evilized
    I'll give it 4 posts before someone says the game will fail because it's either a GW2 clone or has bad graphics. Oh, and it has all been done before, etc, etc.

Ya people will hate because haters are jealous.  Funny they slam the graphics when it uses the same engine as PS2 which has great graphics.  GW2 clone probably not as GW2 has a level system.

Same graphics engine, completely different artistic direction.

Ya people will hate because haters are jealous.  Funny they slam the graphics when it uses the same engine as PS2 which has great graphics.  GW2 clone probably not as GW2 has a level system.

Actually funny thing is, graphics are made out of textures, models, LODs .. ect. Even if these are in the same engine doesn't mean they are all of equal quality.

So technically, 2 games made in the same engine could have differeing levels of graphics. It depends on quality and what technologies of the engine are utilized. Game development 101 XD

By the way, I am in no way saying EQN has lower quality. Actually in my opinion, the quality is perfectly fine.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

This engine is similar to how animation was changed significantly with software.

Back in the day if you wanted to animate, you had to draw out every frame 1 by 1. The same applies to coding a video game. In order for a developer to create a quest and story line they have to script the entire thing. Sure they can re-use code, just as an artist could re-use an animation. However, you would still have to manually put it all together.

Story bricks is the equivalent of animation software, where you only have to draw each of the characters parts. Like the head, arms, legs, eyes .. ect. Than the program puts it all together for you.

It only needs to be scripted 1 time, and the script can be applied all over the game with out having to re-write the code every single instance it's used. It can be applied to another script. It's even possible a script could do something the developers never even thought it could do.

In other words, on the players end, you wont be able to physically see the difference. However, if you pay attention you may notice the game is filed with a lot more variation than your typical game. All this with much less developer work.

So instead of only a few variations, you end up with hundreds if not thousands with a whole lot less work.

Back in the day, .. .actually even today adding choices to the game increases development time a lot. Because than you have to script for every single different route the player can take. Story bricks, just does that all automatically by evaluating the situation and choosing the best course of action.

Edit: I assure you, it's a ground breaking feature that will allow a game world feel more alive. It will also allow developers to deliver content at an astonishing rate.

I would love to see this implemented in the next Elder Scrolls game.

/Slow clap.  Good to see at least one other person here gets it.

Comparing Story Brick's Emergent AI to GW2's dynamic event system is completely asinine lol. 

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

Actually funny thing is, graphics are made out of textures, models, LODs .. ect. Even if these are in the same engine doesn't mean they are all of equal quality.

So technically, 2 games made in the same engine could have differeing levels of graphics. It depends on quality and what technologies of the engine are utilized. Game development 101 XD

By the way, I am in no way saying EQN has lower quality. Actually in my opinion, the quality is perfectly fine.

Exactly right.  Nice to see you get it.

EQN doesn't have "bad graphics".  It's not like they're outdated or poorly done.  They might not be what you prefer or what you think is best when it comes to style, but they are technologically on the high end and they accomplish exactly what the designers want: More lifelike characters that can show a wide range of emotion.

And if history is any indication, it's not like stylized graphics are a bad way to go.  Some of the highest selling, most popular and critically acclaimed games in history are stylized or don't even use high end 3D graphics..

League of Legends, WoW, Minecraft, Mario Kart 8, the Sims series, TF2, FTL, Terraria, etc etc.

Ultra realistic graphics don't make the game inherently better.  

I dunno, maybe I just care more about game play than I do with how nice the graphics are.

Lolol.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,637

Nice article, looks very much like they are combining Dynamic events from GW2 and invasions from Rift intoo something new..

For me personally these worked very good, as long as there where oldfashioned quests around to tell the main stories.  I just love deep involving quests in a world that actually feels alive and where things are happening... these story bricks make the world feel alive for sure...

But still for me oldfashioned epic quests like the personal story in GW2 or the main quests in SWTOR or ESO are what makes me move around.  If you combine them with these story bricks, you can actually bring back the RPG in MMORPG.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Gallus85

Comparing Story Brick's Emergent AI to GW2's dynamic event system is completely asinine lol. 

exactly - but not for the reasons you think.

It's more of a - one is an actual existing system in a live game

The other is still a concept yet to be implemented.

IMO - no actual comparison can even be possible as we don't know what EQN with storybricks will actually be like in gameplay - it's all theoretical at this point.