Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I simply do not understand..

JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674

I bought this game a while ago and logged in. Back then the game was unplayable for me with insane lag on a pretty top end PC.

I have tried it lately to give it another go. Although the perfomance has been improved "not even close to ok", this game is so utterly shiet in it's current state that I am completely speechless.. Doors that can't be opened, doors that should be able to open that are not openable, empty houses everywhere, melee combat against zombies that gets to hit you every round whatever you do, hours and hours of running to find a single decent item.. I have yet to find a weapon apart from axes that can be used and I have played for hours.

This game gives me a very unpleasant feeling that I just want to lie in my bed and stair at the roof.. I don't know about you, but damn... This is sooooo bad.

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Not sure what to say, this game is selling really really well.  I guess people like creeping around in fear waiting for someone to snipe them out and take their candy bars and ammo.   I don't understand either.  I generally always play on PvP open world servers when gaming, Love Darkfall, but this game just doesn't feel right the times I've tried it.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by goboygo
    I guess people like creeping around in fear waiting for someone that uses cheats and map hacks to snipe them out and take their candy bars and ammo.  

There fixed it for you and that is the reason the game doesn't feel right, cause without cheats you don't have a chance and have a swarm of players working together to swarm you, it's kinda like a mouse entering a pit of snakes and not being able to figure out that weird feeling they are getting.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

im waiting for it to be on par with the mod (content wise) to install it again. Theres currently nothing to do in the game. Ive never had lag in the standalone (that i remember) but i get low fps everywhere.

As for Melee combat.... well, ArmA´s Real Virtuality engine has decent realistic shooting but is not made for melee combat games so dont expect any real melee combat in DayZ, ever.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

The "mod' version before they stared making the standalone version was not too bad. There were a lot of things already in the game at that time that have at my last check not made it into the standalone version. The zombies have been changed pretty radically from that mod version as well. In my opinion some for the better but not sure all changes were good. As to finding items, it has a lot to do with where you look. Most of the "high end" weapons use to be found at military sites such as one of the airfields or the military camp. However, these can be heavily camped by players as well. I understand that these areas may become  less of the loot magnet in the future and that all items will be a bit more equally spread across the landscape.

One thing to remember is, and this gets overly used I know, this is a game still in development. I know they have been working on upgrading the engine so it runs smoother and the server stabilty (and lag) issues. I do not see this game as being close to what would be in "launch" condition for at least another year....hopefully.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

yea, best part, they are selling it for like the 2nd or 3rd time now, and people actually STILL buy it...

again and again and again....

if they won't learn, let em make their mistakes, this is a free world i guess (at least in most parts)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Gruug

One thing to remember is, and this gets overly used I know, this is a game still in development. I know they have been working on upgrading the engine so it runs smoother and the server stabilty (and lag) issues. I do not see this game as being close to what would be in "launch" condition for at least another year....hopefully.

well, they are porting it to PS4 and its not even half way finished. You know what that means, they expect more people to keep buying the early access game on a different platform too. More money to Rocket but we still dont have a finished product.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

I bought a revolutionary compact handheld vacuum cleaner long ago.  It was advertised as being able to conquer dust/dirt in high areas and hard to get corner areas.  It did not do either and eventually ended up in the trash where it belonged.  

I also bought a book on how to get rich quick and I ended up being poorer after I read the book.

People are buying DayZ and it is selling well ....

Hope that brings you a bit of understanding.

• AstroFMAstroFM Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by Jakobmiller

I bought this game a while ago and logged in. Back then the game was unplayable for me with insane lag on a pretty top end PC.

I have tried it lately to give it another go. Although the perfomance has been improved "not even close to ok", this game is so utterly shiet in it's current state that I am completely speechless.. Doors that can't be opened, doors that should be able to open that are not openable, empty houses everywhere, melee combat against zombies that gets to hit you every round whatever you do, hours and hours of running to find a single decent item.. I have yet to find a weapon apart from axes that can be used and I have played for hours.

This game gives me a very unpleasant feeling that I just want to lie in my bed and stair at the roof.. I don't know about you, but damn... This is sooooo bad.

Well obviously you read the warning before you bought it and realised that the game is early access. When you buy an unfinished game you get to play an unfinished game and that's exactly what DayZ is right now. And on a final note, don't buy the early access games unless you're willing to play a buggy game.

• DelusiveDelusive Member Posts: 151

I know what you mean. They made millions off the sales of the standalone version and it is still shite. Infestation plays better. I wish I could get a refund and apply the money elsewhere. Only hope now is H1Z1

• DyireDyire Member CommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by AstroFM

Well obviously you read the warning before you bought it and realised that the game is early access. When you buy an unfinished game you get to play an unfinished game and that's exactly what DayZ is right now. And on a final note, don't buy the early access games unless you're willing to play a buggy game.

^This.

If you don't want to support and test an early access game that are far from beta let alone release and are in development/testing mode, don't pay them any money and scroll past them.

This goes for every early release game, if people continue to pay for them before they are even at a beta stage, what do you expect?

DayZ has a great dev team and BI have been updating a lot lately, after getting past an initial long delay with the engine changes but the game gives you a big fat warning with a big fat red button to click "I ACCEPT" these conditions and that it is unfinished and still being tested and developed...don't click it and move on and come back in a couple years if you want a finished game and save your posts for then, after you play it for longer than an hour.

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    Originally posted by Dyire

^This.

If you don't want to support and test an early access game that are far from beta let alone release and are in development/testing mode, don't pay them any money and scroll past them.

This goes for every early release game, if people continue to pay for them before they are even at a beta stage, what do you expect?

DayZ has a great dev team and BI have been updating a lot lately, after getting past an initial long delay with the engine changes but the game gives you a big fat warning with a big fat red button to click "I ACCEPT" these conditions and that it is unfinished and still being tested and developed...don't click it and move on and come back in a couple years if you want a finished game and save your posts for then, after you play it for longer than an hour.

I am well aware of that, thanks. What I can see though as a pretty experienced gamer is that there are difference between alpha in game one and alpha in game two. This alpha has been going on for so long and I see no improvements. They are working on PS4 one while this Alpha is so insanely bad.. "They have another team working on it" Yes, I do realise that. But this game is pretty much "released" when you buy it at places.. Yes, it says early access, but how can they not get doors to work, netcoding to be ACCEPTABLE and more. This is what I do not understand and therefor, this is not worth it and has not been in my eyes for a year..

Have you tried Star Citizens game modes?? They are in early access.. You will notice a difference in quality... And don't tell me that the DayZ team do not have the money to do things quickly.

^This.

I am well aware of that, thanks. What I can see though as a pretty experienced gamer is that there are difference between alpha in game one and alpha in game two. This alpha has been going on for so long and I see no improvements. They are working on PS4 one while this Alpha is so insanely bad.. "They have another team working on it" Yes, I do realise that. But this game is pretty much "released" when you buy it at places.. Yes, it says early access, but how can they not get doors to work, netcoding to be ACCEPTABLE and more. This is what I do not understand and therefor, this is not worth it and has not been in my eyes for a year..

Have you tried Star Citizens game modes?? They are in early access.. You will notice a difference in quality... And don't tell me that the DayZ team do not have the money to do things quickly.

No, the game is not released until Bohemia say it's released. And furthermore, this business with the doors, how many games have you seen where you can open all the doors, and does it really matter that much. Netcoding is being worked on because it's in alpha. No i have not seen Star Citizen, but i don't think you can draw a comparison between a pre-alpha space game and a zombie/survival game in alpha, it's two very different games. My only advice is, try DayZ when it's done until then stay away from it. I play it regularly and even though it's not optimized and there's bugs i enjoy it a lot.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

hehe, you actually claim this was "due to the alpha stage"`?

lemme know how they handle aimbotters in gold then *G*

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

^This.

No, the game is not released until Bohemia say it's released. And furthermore, this business with the doors, how many games have you seen where you can open all the doors, and does it really matter that much. Netcoding is being worked on because it's in alpha. No i have not seen Star Citizen, but i don't think you can draw a comparison between a pre-alpha space game and a zombie/survival game in alpha, it's two very different games. My only advice is, try DayZ when it's done until then stay away from it. I play it regularly and even though it's not optimized and there's bugs i enjoy it a lot.

Sorry for all the quoting, can't be arshed to remove them in the haste risking to fail.

The doors that can't be opened do have a marker on them.. THEY SHOULD be able to open. If a company can't make "openable" doors openable, then I simply don't know what to say.

I can for sure compare DayZ with Star Citizen when it comes to their states.. No, it's not same games at all.. But they are games and as you even said.. Star Citizen is PRE ALPHA where DayZ is in alpha and been for ages. What I have tried in Star Citizen is completely bug free... Not what I can say about DayZ.. But ye, you are right.. I should wait until release of this game... About 2 years from now..

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

OP you are mostly right.

Game should be in closed alpha but they knew they could earn millions and couldn't let the oportunity to milk thousands of addicted gaming junkies.

Sure... supporters and all that ...blah blah... a year is almost around since early release and the game is just as glitchy and unfinished as back than.

And that's all there is to it.

H1Z1 is about to roll them over if they don't do something expansion like by the end of the year (which I bet they will do  the week before Christmas).

And since DayZ is setting such low standars, the next one which probably will be H1Z1 won't start that much better either.

^This.

Sorry for all the quoting, can't be arshed to remove them in the haste risking to fail.

The doors that can't be opened do have a marker on them.. THEY SHOULD be able to open. If a company can't make "openable" doors openable, then I simply don't know what to say.

I can for sure compare DayZ with Star Citizen when it comes to their states.. No, it's not same games at all.. But they are games and as you even said.. Star Citizen is PRE ALPHA where DayZ is in alpha and been for ages. What I have tried in Star Citizen is completely bug free... Not what I can say about DayZ.. But ye, you are right.. I should wait until release of this game... About 2 years from now..

If you want to compare the two games you should also compare the budgets they have and how many features are implemented. I have not played SC but as far as i understand (and please correct me if i'm wrong) SC is "only" an "arcady" space combat game as it is now. Dayz is a little more complex with all the things they have already implemented (even though some of them are bugged). I'm sorry but your door problem is a small thing in my book, the cheaters, dupers and hackers and so on is a bigger problem but i hope Bohemia will be able to handle them once the game goes live.

I hope DayZ will turn out to be the game it can be, but we will see when it releases. I'm having a lot of fun with it and i hope you will too ;-)

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

The development of the game is so sloooooow its a crime.  Each patch just breaks things that the patch never even addressed,  It's clear they've shifted their focus to the PS4 version and left the PC version to rot due to their choice to go with the Arma 2 engine which is not suitable for what they want to do.... such a shame.

A month goes by and all they add is a dear or a crossbow, if there was an award for the most unfocused development team then "team rocket" would win.

Originally posted by expresso

The development of the game is so sloooooow its a crime.  Each patch just breaks things that the patch never even addressed,  It's clear they've shifted their focus to the PS4 version and left the PC version to rot due to their choice to go with the Arma 2 engine which is not suitable for what they want to do.... such a shame.

A month goes by and all they add is a dear or a crossbow, if there was an award for the most unfocused development team then "team rocket" would win.

I can understand by your post that you know an awful lot about game development, i have to admit that i don't. But i do know that things break during the development of a game and that's a part of the development process. I really wish people would stop buying games on early access unless they actually understand that an early access game is an unfinished game.

I don't think the DayZ development is slow, i understand that people wants to play the finished game now, but complaining about the early access game you bought after reading a warning that this game is in development simply isn't fair.

If the development is slow or not is hard for me to say, but i think it's okay. They update it with new things and features regularly and unfortunately sometimes these things and features break stuff, but to quote myself "that's a part of the development process".

^This.

If you want to compare the two games you should also compare the budgets they have and how many features are implemented. I have not played SC but as far as i understand (and please correct me if i'm wrong) SC is "only" an "arcady" space combat game as it is now. Dayz is a little more complex with all the things they have already implemented (even though some of them are bugged). I'm sorry but your door problem is a small thing in my book, the cheaters, dupers and hackers and so on is a bigger problem but i hope Bohemia will be able to handle them once the game goes live.

I hope DayZ will turn out to be the game it can be, but we will see when it releases. I'm having a lot of fun with it and i hope you will too ;-)

So you are telling me that Bohemia Interactive do not have any money? Come on bro..

As a programmer, not a hardcore game developer, but I do know "some" about it, I could pretty easily say that there is nothing complex what so ever.. It has been done so many times before.. I wonder what the "features" you mentioning are? Don't tell me that you think wearing a cap instead of a helmet is features, because then we are not really discussing on the same levels.. To me, there are simply no features in this game that is working "well". Except maybe for the voice comm.

I am just stating my opinion here. 

The controls are bad. The zombies are... horrendous. The net coding sucks. The spawning of "stuff" sucks. The placement of stuff makes no sense.. 1 single potato lying on the floor in an empty house? Come on.. It's 2014. I have been running around in this game for hours, looking for a weapon.. Oh well, found a weapon, but finding ammo for it?? No chance.. Died to a zombie, being able to pretty much rape me since my axe did not bring him down... For some reason.. But hey, I found a helmet and a backpack! How useful. Now you just need to start over again, running for hours to find the same things all over again.

^This.

So you are telling me that Bohemia Interactive do not have any money? Come on bro..

As a programmer, not a hardcore game developer, but I do know "some" about it, I could pretty easily say that there is nothing complex what so ever.. It has been done so many times before.. I wonder what the "features" you mentioning are? Don't tell me that you think wearing a cap instead of a helmet is features, because then we are not really discussing on the same levels.. To me, there are simply no features in this game that is working "well". Except maybe for the voice comm.

I am just stating my opinion here. 

The controls are bad. The zombies are... horrendous. The net coding sucks. The spawning of "stuff" sucks. The placement of stuff makes no sense.. 1 single potato lying on the floor in an empty house? Come on.. It's 2014. I have been running around in this game for hours, looking for a weapon.. Oh well, found a weapon, but finding ammo for it?? No chance.. Died to a zombie, being able to pretty much rape me since my axe did not bring him down... For some reason.. But hey, I found a helmet and a backpack! How useful. Now you just need to start over again, running for hours to find the same things all over again.

I don't disagree with some of the things you're sayng, all i'm saying is that you yourself bought a game in development and is now complaining about it not being what you thought/hoped it would be. I agree that the melee is broken and that the controls are not good enough, but if you read the devblog you would know that the melee is being worked on and that the melee as it is right now is broken and Bohehemia knows this.

I think we could keep discussing this topic but i don't think we would agree. I bought DayZ knowing it is an early access alpha and that's my whole point - Don't buy into the early access/alpha/beta if your not prepared to play a "broken" game and read the warning before buying. And finally if the game is still bugged when it releases, please feel free to complain, but please wait until then ;-)

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

We must be playing different games because for me this game runs like a charm on Very High settings across the board. Never lag, easy to navigate, I find a gun within 15-20 mins of spawning if I'm a fresh spawn.

Not sure what game you are playing. This is one the better Alpha games I have played. Lot of potential in this game and the Devs are constantly fixing issues and releasing new content like an Alpha is supposed to.

• smartpatrolsmartpatrol Member Posts: 9
    I logged into the game the other day for the first time in months and i was amazed at how little has been done to the game. its obvious that they have no interest in finishing the game for those that have already paid to fund its development and would rather develop another perpetual Alpha for the PS4 Suckers that haven't paid $30 yet. I bought the Arma 3 alpha and got a finished game 8 Month later why The Doofuses that are working on DayZ can't deliver i will never know....Wish H1Z1 would hurry up and be released.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

I bought this game a while ago and logged in. Back then the game was unplayable for me with insane lag on a pretty top end PC.I have tried it lately to give it another go. Although the perfomance has been improved "not even close to ok", this game is so utterly shiet in it's current state that I am completely speechless.. Doors that can't be opened, doors that should be able to open that are not openable, empty houses everywhere, melee combat against zombies that gets to hit you every round whatever you do, hours and hours of running to find a single decent item.. I have yet to find a weapon apart from axes that can be used and I have played for hours.This game gives me a very unpleasant feeling that I just want to lie in my bed and stair at the roof.. I don't know about you, but damn... This is sooooo bad.

I'm currently enjoying 7 Days to die! Good steam zombie game!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!