Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV proves how to be a successful P2P MMO in today's time.

13»

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by TiamatRoar
    Honestly, what I was trying to point out earlier was that Item #3 in general invalidates the whole concept of "How to be a successful P2P MMO in today's times".  Would FF XIV ARR been super successful if it weren't part of the ball bustingly popular Final Fantasy series?  Maybe it would.  Maybe it wouldn't.  It's significantly harder to tell than normal because as it is, it IS part of the orgasmicly popular Final Fantasy series, so it's just a weee bit hard or unfair to use it as an example of "How to be a successful P2P MMO in today's time", I think.

If that's what it takes, then there's no use crying about unfairness.

Obviously it must be pointed out that a popular IP is also not a guarantee of success - TOR and several others have already proved us that.

"How to be a successful P2P MMO in today's time" is a sum of many things, one very often being that the MMO is part of a popular IP. Nothing is "invalidated" by the fact.

Rather than the IP the most important factor for a successful P2P MMO is probably internal funding, when all is said and done.

Thing is, ToR is doing insanely well too right now, from all indicators I've seen.  Thus further hammering the point home that using anything with a  powerful IP as an example makes it too difficult to determine just how much of a factor the other stuff is.

Note the wording of that and my prior post.  I never said the IP was the only decisive factor.  I said that the IP is one decisive factor which the presense of makes it difficult to determine the decisiveness of the other factors.

TOR is doing insanely well.......as a F2P MMO. It completely crashed and burned as a P2P MMO.  Clearly the decisiveness of the IP is not all you make it out to be, TOR being a prime example of that. Meanwhile games with unknown IPs like Rift managed to stay P2P significantly longer.

TOR vs. Rift clearly hammers the point that IP is not some end-all factor to determining whether a game can be successful as a P2P MMO or not. To say that ARR would be a naturally successful P2P MMO because it has the IP behind it is simply ignoring the plethora of cases of the past proving such assumptions completely illogical.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Alders
    Originally posted by Pratt2112
    Originally posted by Alders
    Originally posted by Thestrain

3.) Make sure to have a popular IP with huge following both in Asia as well as West.

Could have just stopped right there.

Well, I dunno...

It didn't do much good for them on the first time around with XIV.

A popular IP might get people through the door... It sure won't keep them there, though.

Oh i completely agree but i also feel like i know and have come to understand the FF MMO playerbase going back 12 years now.  Now i'm not lumping them into one pool as people like different aspects of MMO's of course.

The general consensus from players i talked to that left XI for WoW back in '05 was that they wanted to stick with FF but found the gameplay vastly superior in WoW.  Over and over i heard the same thing.  Give me FF art and story with WoW's gameplay.  Well now we have it, or as close as it's going to get, so i'm not surprised it's doing well.

When you have a built in cult like following it makes it much easier to get away with crap.  1.0 pushed that theory to the max but also crossed that line while laughing in our faces.  That game is thankfully dead and the people responsible are mostly gone.  It honestly can only get better from here on out.

While i may no longer play, i do wish the game well as i have lots of friends that still do.

Is this how you've explained the game's undebatable success in your head, Alders? "It's not that it's simply a good game, which I simply not happen to like myself.. it can't be.. The players are just.. special. Yes, yes that's it."

Makes me a bit sad to see you like this, tbh.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374

I bought it played until my sub ran out.

Cant remember why i did not resub, swear i got no clue.

Must be somthing i dont like but i cant remember what.

Hell i dont remember mutch from the game.

Must be somthing wrong with it.

I moost know definetly why i did not resub in Wildstar.

FFARR ? i got no clue, dont even remember i like it or not. (weird)