Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

illegal farms, thats the name?

JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

I bealive its related with how people see things and semantics, i dont know.

I have be reading around ppl call "illegal farms" when someone plant stuff outside of protected player farm.

I confess i found it funny because planting around the world outside of player farm is legal. What is illegal is people steal the others crops, thats why game create blood footprints on ground where others can report the crime and then the thief can end in jail.

I just bring this topic because in AA i didnt steal others people stuff and some players found that weird saying "but the game is this way". No, the game isnt this way, players have the choise to do it or not do it.

"Just because we can doesnt mean we have to" its my behave in games where we have a little more freedom.

Anyway, i just found funny the way some players call illegal farms when the illegal part is stealling what is not ours, not planting stuff around the world.

Comments

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    You'd have to consult someone with the Land Use Attorney build to address the zoning laws for your particular continent.  The class combination escapes me at the moment but since its an attorney I'm pretty sure Occultism is involved.
  • JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    Originally posted by ChicagoCub
    You'd have to consult someone with the Land Use Attorney build to address the zoning laws for your particular continent.  The class combination escapes me at the moment but since its an attorney I'm pretty sure Occultism is involved.

Ok, i confess i dont understand your replie and i fail to see the connection to ArcheAge. image

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by Jabas

Ok, i confess i dont understand your replie and i fail to see the connection to ArcheAge. image

His joke fell flat on it's face, it's why you didn't see it go over your head... you were standing on it.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Actually I had a question or two about this. I get that it's not illegal to plant outside farms, but what are the issues? Can I plant a scaregrow garden outside a designated spot? Or just plant crops and risk that someone might take them?

Originally posted by Jaedor

Actually I had a question or two about this. I get that it's not illegal to plant outside farms, but what are the issues? Can I plant a scaregrow garden outside a designated spot? Or just plant crops and risk that someone might take them?

You can only place a scarecrow in some limit zones.

You can plant stuff almost anywhere in the wolrd, but they are unprotected and anyone can steal them.

If someone steal it, leave blood footprints so other can report the crime.

If reported the thief take crime points.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381

You see there's 10...you can make up to 120 different...they each have their own name....Occultism has siphons and...oh, never mind.

• Topo16Topo16 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by Jaedor

My basic understanding is that you cannot plant your scarecrow garden outside of designated areas.  You can plant crops anywhere in the open world where space is available; however, they are unprotected.  Unprotected crops can be harvested by anyone at any time. 

As I see it, it is not an illegal farm; it is just an unprotected farm.

• GrumbsGrumbs Member UncommonPosts: 20
    So, basically this is also a Griefing opportunity?   Plant crops all over an area, someone eventually harvests them and thus becomes a criminal?  Entrapment....
    Originally posted by Grumbs
    So, basically this is also a Griefing opportunity?   Plant crops all over an area, someone eventually harvests them and thus becomes a criminal?  Entrapment....

Entrapment? nope, when you try to harvest something that is not yours the game show a warning msg about what you are doing, then you decide to do it or not.

Is there a difference in how the game considers harvesting a grown plant vs uprooting an immature one? The opportunity to do both has arisen over the course of the last two betas but only uprooting gets a popup window.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

well it can be seen as tax evasion :P

• 0blackjack00blackjack0 Member UncommonPosts: 5

Correct, illegal farm is an incorrect term. The goods planted outside of a taxed farm or property plot are simply unprotected. If a player from your own faction uproots/harvests/slaughters the items on unprotected land they get a warning that the items belong to another player and it's a crime to take them. If they proceed, the red set of foot prints are left for any player that comes across them to report the crime. Once reported the player receives crime points and infamy.

The key thing to remember here is that currently most farm thieves are from ones own faction, since its much easier for locals to scout their own continent. However as the game matures, enemy faction players will be more common in the areas where people love to hide farms. If people who plant unprotected crops think it's bad now with friendlies stealing their hidden trees and plants, they really won't enjoy it when it's a red harvesting or uprooting their stuff and there is nothing they can do except try to kill the person if they happen across them mid-harvest. Enemy players stealing your goods do not generate footprints to report since it's not a crime to steal from opposing faction players.

Learned this first hand last night when a massive hidden tree farm of Oaks was found by western faction players on the eastern continent and everyone was able to log till they ran out of labour without a single set of footprints generated.

Cool, I need to try this. :D
    Thanks guys.

Originally posted by Mithrandolir

well it can be seen as tax evasion :P

Good point image

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Entrapment? nope, when you try to harvest something that is not yours the game show a warning msg about what you are doing, then you decide to do it or not.

What if someone comes in with an alt and picks everything and then replants it on their main? So now you come along to harvest your own crops and now you are a criminal?

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

Maybe the term came around from the game rules.

A legal area where you are free of any penalty would be a scarecrow farm.

illegal area is outside designated area and therefor subject to penalty of others taking it.

Also could be related to people's understanding of boarders.

You cross a boarder with a fruit or something without declaring.....it can be illegal.

I have a question.

Are the designated public garden/forest areas free to plant and protected or are they free loot for anyone?

Love this whole system. Very nice to see this level of structure in a game.

• 0blackjack00blackjack0 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by Karble

I have a question.

Are the designated public garden/forest areas free to plant and protected or are they free loot for anyone?

Yes, other than putting a garden or farm down in one of the designated housing areas (and then having to pay taxes to keep the property) , there are also public farms in a number of provinces for each faction. 

The public farm allows players who don't have (or don't want to have) a taxed property, the ability to raise certain crops/trees/livestock without the worry of other players being able to take them for 2 days. This normally gives the owner enough time for the crop to mature and be harvested. After the 2 day window passes they become public property and anyone can take them. Public farms do have limitations on what items can be grown in the area (normally listed on a sign at the entrance to the public farm) and also how many total items a person can plant in a public farm.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

What if someone comes in with an alt and picks everything and then replants it on their main? So now you come along to harvest your own crops and now you are a criminal?

If that is possible, I'm sure someone, or more likely a lot of someones will do it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.