Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what kills eve online for you.

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Yalexy

Haha... look up the numbers from back then, and don't forget to count the associates please, those who are within the alliances of today.BoB back then wasn't just BoB, but you need to count MC and all of these associates. Same goes for the other big entities from back then.The corp and alliance-management back then simply didn't allow for as much members, but that doesn't say much about the powerblock as a whole.

/sigh

If you actually were around back then, you would know that BoB was capable of very large force projection without any caps or jump bridges, those were released 2 respectively 3 years later. Yet, they were capable to dominate 0.0.

Only what they lacked were numbers(force), the battles back then were counted in dozens of ships. The game had like 20k subs total, the population was small.

As the game population grew, so grew the impact of power blocks on entire 0.0. With 300k subs, you can figure out how large the impact can be.

It is really no rocket science...

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Gdemami
    Originally posted by YalexyHaha... look up the numbers from back then, and don't forget to count the associates please, those who are within the alliances of today.BoB back then wasn't just BoB, but you need to count MC and all of these associates. Same goes for the other big entities from back then.The corp and alliance-management back then simply didn't allow for as much members, but that doesn't say much about the powerblock as a whole.

/sigh

If you actually were around back then, you would know that BoB was capable of very large force projection without any caps or jump bridges, those were released 2 respectively 3 years later. Yet, they were capable to dominate 0.0.

Only what they lacked were numbers(force), the battles back then were counted in dozens of ships. The game had like 20k subs total, the population was small.

As the game population grew, so grew the impact of power blocks on entire 0.0. With 300k subs, you can figure out how large the impact can be.

It is really no rocket science...

And that's were you miss the point.

BoB was able to raid all of 0.0 but they were'nt able to control all of it... far from it.

Today the situation is different tho, as nowadays the very few remaining powerblocks do control all of 0.0, with noone else being even able anymore to deploy a tower anywhere in a remote system without them showing up the day after.

Also, EvE wasn't as big as it is of today. The whole drone-regions weren't added yet for example, and some of the southern regions were just deployed around that time, when [G] and IRON and PA forced BoB out of the north and made them resettle in the south.

Look back to that time, when there was ATUK, RA, FA, Xetic and all those still around. The smaller EvE Universe was divided way more. There was atleast a dozen powerblocks around, simply becasue it wasn't possible to actually control much larger chunks of space then maybe some three or four regions.

Nowadays it's come even to the point, where you can't carve out a little space for yourself in the NPC-controlled 0.0 regions without the powerblocks shutting you down immediately.

You can try to twist it however you want, but before we had all these jump-technologies to move large forces and tons of ressources around that easily, it was a much more colourful 0.0, with opportunities for smaller entities.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    The restrictions to avatar movement, and socialization with others, on our own ships, is probably what kills it for me.  It's really not that different than imvu in that regard.
  • DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Originally posted by Katilla
    Originally posted by zzax

Combat is what kills eve online for me.

Its the best and most polished mmo I have ever played. Everything about this game is perfect, yet I still dont play it because of the slow and mind numbing combat.

this, and the fact that i can lose everything i earned at any time by people ganking me and stealing it.  Also basically if you have not been in the game for eons you are basically screwed by the people who have.

This and this and the "spreadsheet" management of every little detail. I am just too old and slow apparently to play any game with a scientific calculator built into the UI.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Yalexy

From my experience, jumpdrives, jumpbridges and jumpfreighters are the problem.

Good for you, you are still wrong tho.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

The community is one of the most toxic, bigoted, narrow-minded ones I've ever had the displeasure of being part of. I've played MOBAs with less overall toxicity than EVE.

It's a damned shame, because the game itself is quite good, minus the lackluster combat.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by Adamai

so lets hear what every one else has to say about the game that tried it and turned away.  

FFA PVP.

That's what it comes down to. It leads to everything wrong with the game.

It taking so long to get into the game wouldn't hurt if it wasn't FFA and players had a chance to get some strength without having to whore themselves out for protection...and there wouldn't be massive guilds controlling everything if there wasn't FFA.

It creates a pack mentality. By having PvP regulated to specific areas there is no need for everyone to join together like you end up with in FFA games.

FFA PVP is part of the game's central identity and part of what makes it unique from all the other PvE grindfests out there. The environment the devs were originally selling was a cruel distopia. Think Mad Max in space, now what happened was that a lot of people came to realize that while watching Mad Max is fun, being in Mad Max is not, at least not for them. Still that doesn't mean the producers should make an entirely different film than what they set out to do. TL:DR universe is working as intended.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

I get bored.

If you try to play 0.0 ... Goonsquad ... 'nuf said.

FFA PVP killed it for me.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Lack of good PvE.  Top end PvE behind PvP.
  • EridanixEridanix Member Posts: 426

I like EVE and I play it.

First you must have in mind is that EVE is a sim, a total war sim, and that is so aggressive as war itself is.

Second the game can be considered conceptually as a meta-game where the action is taking place somewhere ...

Third the meta-game allows a lot of different levels of games, so that, as it contains so many levels of diferent games its a complex structure where many things are happening and you do not realize and will not realize that they happen, and this is very close to what happens in real-life.

Fourth. This conceptual complexity makes a lot of different people playing together in a common universe but they never collide as they are playing at diferent levels of games into the game and many prefer a MMORPG where everything is happening in front of you eyes. 

Fifth. There are a lot of different communities in EVE playing diferent EVEs so, a lot of them, really suck, but others  are people of high value.

Sixth. In every case you always decide what part of EVE you play, how to do it, and what exactly you want to do, or just if you don't like just close account and go.

It is a question of fangs.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Agree with all appart from point 6 which is naive. you may decide that you want o do something, but flaws in power balancing and weak controls mean this is OFTEN not the case.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    CCP killed EVE. Nuf said.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• eindinblocheindinbloch Member Posts: 60

Like many have said before, Eve is a fantastic game.  I just don't like space combat.  I love the world.  I love the lore.  I love the music.  I love the sandbox aspects.  I can't think of many things that are bad about the game.

That said, I will almost never play Eve again (after having about 3 or 4 years of mostly inactive skill gain) simply because I hate space combat.

If they lived up to their word and implemented walking in stations with all of the role-playing ambitions they had from the beginning, I'd renew my account today.  But until that happens... I will not be an Eve Online customer.

Also, seeing as they just canned World of Darkness (and canned walking in stations a while back), I have almost no hope for CCP to ever bring me back to one of their games again.

Love em.  Hate em.  I will never play a CCP game as long as they keep screwing things up.

• SoaringBarnacleSoaringBarnacle Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Originally posted by Calfis
    Originally posted by SoaringBarnacle

Ha, the old internet culture of dodging issues by derailing or concentrating on irrelevant details

What kills EvE for me is the grief-centric, killboard-revering, Schadenfreude-based, online psychopathic culture, also the alt usage which forces you to invest in them if you want to fly solo or weigh anything in any corp or alliance, and let's not forget the RMT going on behind the scenes which turns 0.0 drones into RL cash harvesters for the leader(s) of the alliance they fight for.

As the dude with the hilarious cat macro said there's a monetary element involved, and the sooner it is officially accepted and condoned by the community and CCP the sooner this game can realize its full potential: a vicious simulation of dudes scamming and destroying each other's investment with internet spaceships as a paint job.

What's the problem with this? All MMos should be a bunny and pony loving utopia where everyone gets along? I dunno about you but what drew me to EVE was the promise that it is a distopia unlike any other MMO out there. Why should all MMOs conform to this idea that all players should "win" instead why not let the players themselves work towards winning against other players. Too many games recently have been spoon-feeding its player base. EVE is a diamond in the rough where the players can actually make their own way.

Your argument boils down to competition in a game is bad because it makes some players feel bad because they are bad at competing, why should I pay money to feel bad in a game. The question you should be asking is why should I play a competitive game if I can't stomach losing. Games weren't originally about making every player who plays the game feel good. I dunno where this idea emerged from but games, especially multiplayer games at their core were about competition, winners and losers, if everyone is a winner its not really a game. At least this was the idea when I started gaming in 2000, gradually this idea that everyone should "win" came about and IMO its ruined gaming especially in the MMO realm.

Games are a bonding social activity: This is common sense, it can't be explained as it's self-evident. Sorry if you can't understand that, and sorry about your mild autism.

Competition belongs in sports (and even there, there's a sense of fair play which makes cheap moves abhorrent for the well-rounded champion), or is for horses.

The question you should be asking is why people are paying to wallow in 4th wall suffering, either on the delivering or receiving side of it. The biggest reward in griefing / ganking / scamming activities is the RL anguish of despair of some unknown person, which has been scientifically harvested through cheap tricks. This has nothing to do with ingame character development or virtual riches, which are only means to an end: Schadenfreude.

Winning or losing ingame is irrelevant as long as fun is had by all sides, as is the case in any well-designed game. However, as EvE gameplay is full of grey areas and borderlines exploits, there's a lot of leeway to drive your opponent crazy, and this is precisely what the griefing population of EvE enjoys.

The vast majority of the MMO community understands that, and that's why EvE's reputation is so poor. But I guess people bathing in a cesspool of toxicity and enjoying it must imagine they're floating on neutral ph water.

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324

Winning or losing ingame is irrelevant as long as fun is had by all sides, as is the case in any well-designed game.

Show me one so called "well-designed" game where losing is fun, I'm waiting.

Originally posted by zzax

Winning or losing ingame is irrelevant as long as fun is had by all sides, as is the case in any well-designed game.

Show me one so called "well-designed" game where losing is fun, I'm waiting.

Any tabletop game, any FPS, for example

Baffles me that people live in this zero-sum-game paradigm where positive fun can only be had if your opponent has negative fun. But it goes well with randroidsm and lack of empathy I guess.

But it's pretty self-explanatory, some people focus on win/lose as they consider every human interaction as a struggle, others focus on bonding and sharing.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

There's two things that kill Eve Online for me: 

1. Limited character appearance customization. I like playing dress-up with my characters. Eve has the clunkiest UI for doing this that I've ever encountered.
    2. The setting. While space has it's own charm to many, I'm not really a fan of it myself. I like rolling landscapes, not floating in a void.

<3

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I can shoe a couple examples of where losing can be fun : descent 2 board game - you lose a scenario and it influences the next scenario and balance of power. Then theres Any civ or rts game where you ultimately lose but you manage a great civ on the way. Then Theres GW2 where the constant fail/win in wvw is exciting and fun or where being the underdog is fun, or even a dynamic event chain where losing alters the nex event.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Q: "What kills EvE Online for you?"

A: Hulkageddon.

For a Player like myself who LOVES to Mine more than anything else in EvE THIS is the apocalypse.

Let the Bots provide the Tears now.

(this would have been manageable but I haven't found a good trustworthy Corp that I felt right in since 2008 and that alone can break a Player in EvE. )

What else in EvE bothered me enough to un-subscribe?

The insistence of most Corps that I have 2 or more active accounts before I joined... I won't play a MMO with more than one character/account at a time. I don't agree with multiboxing and two accounts is multiboxing to me (my definition).

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Kudos to all of you who play this title, I never got it. I am being serious too, good job.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Ha, the old internet culture of dodging issues by derailing or concentrating on irrelevant details

What kills EvE for me is the grief-centric, killboard-revering, Schadenfreude-based, online psychopathic culture, also the alt usage which forces you to invest in them if you want to fly solo or weigh anything in any corp or alliance, and let's not forget the RMT going on behind the scenes which turns 0.0 drones into RL cash harvesters for the leader(s) of the alliance they fight for.

As the dude with the hilarious cat macro said there's a monetary element involved, and the sooner it is officially accepted and condoned by the community and CCP the sooner this game can realize its full potential: a vicious simulation of dudes scamming and destroying each other's investment with internet spaceships as a paint job.

What's the problem with this? All MMos should be a bunny and pony loving utopia where everyone gets along? I dunno about you but what drew me to EVE was the promise that it is a distopia unlike any other MMO out there. Why should all MMOs conform to this idea that all players should "win" instead why not let the players themselves work towards winning against other players. Too many games recently have been spoon-feeding its player base. EVE is a diamond in the rough where the players can actually make their own way.

Your argument boils down to competition in a game is bad because it makes some players feel bad because they are bad at competing, why should I pay money to feel bad in a game. The question you should be asking is why should I play a competitive game if I can't stomach losing. Games weren't originally about making every player who plays the game feel good. I dunno where this idea emerged from but games, especially multiplayer games at their core were about competition, winners and losers, if everyone is a winner its not really a game. At least this was the idea when I started gaming in 2000, gradually this idea that everyone should "win" came about and IMO its ruined gaming especially in the MMO realm.

Games are a bonding social activity: This is common sense, it can't be explained as it's self-evident. Sorry if you can't understand that, and sorry about your mild autism.

Competition belongs in sports (and even there, there's a sense of fair play which makes cheap moves abhorrent for the well-rounded champion), or is for horses.

The question you should be asking is why people are paying to wallow in 4th wall suffering, either on the delivering or receiving side of it. The biggest reward in griefing / ganking / scamming activities is the RL anguish of despair of some unknown person, which has been scientifically harvested through cheap tricks. This has nothing to do with ingame character development or virtual riches, which are only means to an end: Schadenfreude.

Winning or losing ingame is irrelevant as long as fun is had by all sides, as is the case in any well-designed game. However, as EvE gameplay is full of grey areas and borderlines exploits, there's a lot of leeway to drive your opponent crazy, and this is precisely what the griefing population of EvE enjoys.

The vast majority of the MMO community understands that, and that's why EvE's reputation is so poor. But I guess people bathing in a cesspool of toxicity and enjoying it must imagine they're floating on neutral ph water.

Tell me more about how you engage in ad hominem attacks before saying other people on the internet who enjoy such things are bad.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

The insistence of most Corps that I have 2 or more active accounts before I joined...

@ other EVE players in this thread

Are you also experiencing that most corps insist you have two or more active accounts? 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Tell me more about how you engage in ad hominem attacks before saying other people on the internet who enjoy such things are bad.

- Hey, those guys behave like psychopaths: they clearly enjoy other peoples suffering, find new ways to provoke it, and they even state so themselv..

- OMG STOP YOUR AD HOMINEMS YOU'RE TRIGGERING ME

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

The insistence of most Corps that I have 2 or more active accounts before I joined...

@ other EVE players in this thread

Are you also experiencing that most corps insist you have two or more active accounts? 

Absolutely not

• HellbabeHellbabe Member UncommonPosts: 13

I play EvE since 2006. For my opinion there are 2 things killing eve. First the 2 Powerblocks in .0 and the idiotic use of supercapitals. In 2006/07 we have mybe 5 Titans and a few hand of Supercapitals ( yes i know on this time they called Motherships^^). But now nice fights without a emergency fleet of 200 sc´s in backyards are really really rare. So cancel the shipclass and rebuild the .0 i would prefer.

But i love the game maybe in 10 years as i love it now.

This discussion has been closed.