Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what kills eve online for you.

AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

i would like to conduct a bit of research using all lab rats to find out what is the worst part of eve online.

for me its how massive coalitions control almost all of the sandbox aspect of the game and i think its mainly because of jump drive ships!!! without them, these large alliances could not storm across the game world like they do laying claim to everything all of a sudden they would need to think about logistics and supply lines to fuel their war efforts. im not saying remove capital ships im saying take away their jump drives or drastically reduce their range so they can not be used to ferry tons of spare ships and fuel to the other side of the game world in just a few minutes. infact removing  jump drives completely would fix the territory problem. it would mean these vast alliances with over several thousand members would no longer be able to secure their territory and will be forced to compact  into a smaller area which is more secure which also means not enough room for their several thousand members to live in and benefit from so it would cut their sizes down too making the game more competitive for the small alliances and new comers. all of a sudden its not about being able to take death and destruction any where in the galaxy its about keeping what you claim.. 

i would like to hear other peoples comments on the eve issues. and maybe a dev from the game will spot this and maybe changes might take place.  at present their current answer is to add more space which doesn't solve the problem even though more space is nice.. it just means even bigger territory control with the current system. i also think they need to rework the sov system so holding an entire solar system is a big job that requires team work rather than one simple structure and about 20 minutes of a persons life to fuel it for a month and keep it operational.

so lets hear what every one else has to say about the game that tried it and turned away.  

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I think that what you're saying is a little contradictory to the idea of a sandbox. I also think that you trivialize the operation of a large coalition. Personally, I think running a large corporation would be a nightmare. 

The idea of a sandbox is that the players build, change, and dictate the direction of the game, from within the game. If you start implementing rules on top of that, it begins to remove some of that freedom. There's really no reason that you couldn't start your own corporation of a couple thousand people. Is there? There's just plenty of time, money, and frustrations involved with doing that. Then again, that's also time, money and frustration that someone else, more dedicated, has already invested in the game. And you're suggesting taking that away. Kinda sucky. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324

Combat is what kills eve online for me.

Its the best and most polished mmo I have ever played. Everything about this game is perfect, yet I still dont play it because of the slow and mind numbing combat.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

What kills EVE for me is:

-the "balance" between ship classes/sizes:

i.e. frigates will do zero damage to anything bigger than a cruiser, and anything bigger than a destroyer has to rely on drones to fight frigates - it's stupid. The RPG/MMO rules and progression of the game kill the immersion and FUN.

-lack of free flight:

I'm not talking about a joystick etc. flight model, I'm talking about how the game world is broken up into thousands of separate instances, and you only jump between them via stargates - no different than say GW2 and the portals between zones. I want the space in between stars to hide, to plot faster-than-light courses around black holes and curving around the gravity wells of red stars. I want to sneak smuggled goods through planetary blockades by warping into the system from between the twin stars and dropping out of FTL mere kilometers from the atmosphere... you know, REAL sci-fi stuff.

You fix/change those two things, you have an ENTIRELY different, and better game IMO.

Games like Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous are promising a more open galaxy to explore, trade, and conquer - but I don't want a flight-stick starfighter simulation - I want to command the crew of a large frigate/cruiser/freighter etc. in an open galaxy.

No Star Wars or Star Trek game has come close to this yet either. 

The sci-fi nerd in me would play such a game until the end of my days, and I'd pay a hefty price and monthly fee willingly to do so.

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

combat for me aswell.. i  need action.. not spreadsheet combat.

i think eve online is a very good game tho.. just not for me

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Multi-accounts. The fact that you can avoid punishment simply by logging into another character. There is no accounting for griefing/pirating. Everyone who leaves highsec is essentially a pirate (or will become one eventually). I think if someone wanted to be a pirate, all their alts should be flagged as pirates and able to be shot on sight.

Even in modern world law enforcement can figure out when someone is associated to a certain group/cause and blacklist their entire association as a threat. In Eve Online the 'police' allows pirates to fly around wherever they like only retaliating after being there 'for so long'. If a person is a pirate they should be refused the ability to dock in high sec all together. So what if you put a bounty on someone for 50000million. They just login to alt account and laugh at you for wasting money (and 95% of eve has multiple characters and accounts).

I know everyone will say "Join a big corp, go hunt the guy down! Wardec them!" whatever. You shouldnt have to form a vigilante group just to stop crime in highsec.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by BadSpock

What kills EVE for me is:

-the "balance" between ship classes/sizes:

i.e. frigates will do zero damage to anything bigger than a cruiser, and anything bigger than a destroyer has to rely on drones to fight frigates - it's stupid. The RPG/MMO rules and progression of the game kill the immersion and FUN.  Bring enough frigates and given enough time you can take down pretty much any size hull.  I've lost  battleships to a small fleet of 5 assault frigates, between their firepower and the npc rats bombarding me, my Raven went poof eventually.  I've also flown in a 'frigate' hydra ball, a whirling mass of 75 frigates and again, it can pretty take out any single ship in the game very quickly, unless of course, said ship is equipped with large smart bombs (always a counter in EVE)

-lack of free flight:

I'm not talking about a joystick etc. flight model, I'm talking about how the game world is broken up into thousands of separate instances, and you only jump between them via stargates - no different than say GW2 and the portals between zones. I want the space in between stars to hide, to plot faster-than-light courses around black holes and curving around the gravity wells of red stars. I want to sneak smuggled goods through planetary blockades by warping into the system from between the twin stars and dropping out of FTL mere kilometers from the atmosphere... you know, REAL sci-fi stuff.  OK, this one I can agree with, except you sort of can do this already, at least in terms of avoiding blockades and stuff, but plotting space flights like you've suggested would be pretty fun, especially if it was a skill you could excel at and therefore gain an advantage over your foes. 

You fix/change those two things, you have an ENTIRELY different, and better game IMO.

Games like Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous are promising a more open galaxy to explore, trade, and conquer - but I don't want a flight-stick starfighter simulation - I want to command the crew of a large frigate/cruiser/freighter etc. in an open galaxy.

No Star Wars or Star Trek game has come close to this yet either. 

The sci-fi nerd in me would play such a game until the end of my days, and I'd pay a hefty price and monthly fee willingly to do so.

No doubt, EVE could be a lot more fun, sort of wish CCP had invested more of our sub money in the game mechanics  rather than put it into their sidebar projects.  (or at least spent it all on beer and hookers)  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I'm with you on force projection fucking things up. There'd be a lot more action going on if you couldn't suddenly supercaps anywhere in the game within a quarter of an hour. I don't think you remove jump drives though, there's nothing wrong with people bringing in a fleet of caps anywhere in their space on short notice, it's just when it becomes anywhere in space that it's an issue.
  • NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

Actually, I think the killer issues are more subtle:

[1] New players subsidize older (or more involved) players indirectly, since those with enough earning power in-game can avoid paying real money. But someone has to pay...

[2] It is very difficult to catch a character up in skills to match people who've played for years.

• vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 309

pretty much everything. 

I hate the way the skill progression works, ie. based on time.

I hate how you control the ships

it's pvp centric

There's no actual content in the game other than guild drama.

I've tried to play this game at least 5 different times as i love space games but have never lasted more than a day or two as i couldn't find anything redeeming about it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Zaltark

Multi-accounts. The fact that you can avoid punishment simply by logging into another character. There is no accounting for griefing/pirating. Everyone who leaves highsec is essentially a pirate (or will become one eventually). I think if someone wanted to be a pirate, all their alts should be flagged as pirates and able to be shot on sight.

No, it doesn't work like this at all.  While it is true you can do lots of griefing activities with a disposable alt (which is legal according to the rules of the game), the fact all training of skills in real time means that people such as myself (two alts with almost 90M SP) are sometimes very careful with their reputation, as they represent a huge time investment.  But there are also people equally high in SP's who don't care, they'll go out and become pirates, lead gank corps, etc, because they have the confidence to accept the consequences for their behavior, and are daring someone to come try and challenge them. (what a great game)

Even in modern world law enforcement can figure out when someone is associated to a certain group/cause and blacklist their entire association as a threat. In Eve Online the 'police' allows pirates to fly around wherever they like only retaliating after being there 'for so long'. If a person is a pirate they should be refused the ability to dock in high sec all together. So what if you put a bounty on someone for 50000million. They just login to alt account and laugh at you for wasting money (and 95% of eve has multiple characters and accounts).

Actually, again wrong.  If you have sufficiently low sec status, you will be shot on sight if you entire high sec space, and only a very strong ship will be able to tank the gate/station guns (if then) so most pirates who enter high sec will do so in a pod, which the guns will not shoot. (but you do hear lots of warnings as they pass through)  So no, they aren't docking anywhere until they recover their sec status, which I think is too easy to do these days, but CCP didn't ask me for my design opinion.  And remember, Pirates pay sub fees too, CCP takes anyone's money, even the "bad people".

I know everyone will say "Join a big corp, go hunt the guy down! Wardec them!" whatever. You shouldnt have to form a vigilante group just to stop crime in highsec.  Er, why not, it's a sandbox style game, the players have the freedom to do what they want.  Usually it's just easier to ignore the evil, or stay out of it's way so you don't see a lot of this, but you can fly for, or hire Merc corps to hunt your opponents and people frequently do.

EVE actually has a very specific set of kill rules in high sec, but not everyone really understand them well so they think it is far more lawless than it is.

While I've died in high-sec over 7 years, it isn't often, almost always was my fault in some way (frequently due to ignorance) and about the only change in this area is I wish they would go back to the days where it took a really significant amount of effort to recover your Sec status once you damaged it severely.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by zzax

Combat is what kills eve online for me.

Its the best and most polished mmo I have ever played. Everything about this game is perfect, yet I still dont play it because of the slow and mind numbing combat.

this, and the fact that i can lose everything i earned at any time by people ganking me and stealing it.  Also basically if you have not been in the game for eons you are basically screwed by the people who have.

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    What kills it for me mostly is the community cus of the damn pirate players who just think its funny to blew some poor newb up when mining even in  high-mid sec areas or threaten them in mid-low sec then blow them up instead of trying to great them and help them.  They should remember that even they were new once and should respect that not everyone can just replace a good ship just like that!  Also dislike players attitude toward this kind of behaviour, no one cares and just say tough luck rather than fight back and help.

imageimage

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Two things.

1. The RMT/PLEX/Multiple account factor. I played the Multiple accounts game in Anarchy Online. Not doing that one again. As soon as game mechanics start encouraging the average player to acquire more accounts than 1, It's not a game for me.

2. The game is truly designed for griefing.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    I am still looking reason for stop playing it , but can't find ,yet
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

The grindiness of the PVE has driven me off a few times although it's always a game I get tempted to revisit (and probably will resub again sometime.)  I understand why it's the way it is, it wouldn't work if they didn't make getting money a huge grind at the beginning but it just takes so long to get to "the good stuff" and it's really hard to get engaged at all with mining/mission running to make all  the ISK you need.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Warp Gates.

I understand why they are implemented which is primarily for tech reasons.  However I know they serve a tactical purpose in the game as well as a grieving location for the uninitiated or slow learners.  That said I'm glad to see the Elite Dangerous approach to FTL travel which follows more something akin to I-War which was my favorite space combat sim franchise of all time.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

The real-time based skill progression (as opposed to progress as you use it) and the combat mechanics did it for me

• TerminalDeityTerminalDeity Member UncommonPosts: 133
    I have played EVE for many years starting in 2006, but I just don't have time for it anymore. There isn't much worthwhile you can do in the game without being logged in for hours at a time.
  • Serval points for me

Back in Beta as anyone only had Frigs itd was really fun.

Noadays not anymore. Too much of an skillwise gap between people.

Not been able to get a production slot anywhere, they are mostly set.

Too much elitism everywhere.

And a more, well, lets say aestehic approach. I cant stand the "The ship is my avatar" approach anymore.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

The combat is what I hate in EVE. I love everything else about it, but I just can't get past the boring combat mechanics.

I also don't like how long it takes to get around. Most of the game feels like I'm just watching my ship move, rather than actually controlling it. Having to take many jumps to get to a distant system to pick something up that I purchased just takes too damn long and requires me to just sit there, bored out of my mind.

If the game were just more 'fun' and less of a grindy spreadsheet, I would have played it for years.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Sci-Fi, controlling a ship and not an avatar, too much reliance on economy and crafting and not enough on combat.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ninjapyninjapy Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by Hultay
    Originally posted by BadSpock

[...]

+1

From my personal view.. what made me quit EVE after 5 years of gaming was .. well evolution of a game.

The fun I had fighting 100 vs 300-600 is gone simply couse on top of those numbers everyone drops capital ships.

Those capital ships in this form broke a game for me.

I would have to agree. I played for five years as well. Capital ships and hotdrops ruined it for me.

• VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223

A few things.

1. The skill system. I thought it was great at first, being someone who doesn't have a ton of time to play, but you quickly reach a point where it takes months to be able to fly the next ship. Starts to feel like you're paying money for skills because even if you're not playing much, you still pay the sub to keep gaining skills.

2. The need for escorts to do any kind of nullsec activity. EVE's version of maxed-out players will crush you in a single volley if they find you, and there are a lot of those guys out there.

3. Ship loss. I can deal with losing an expensive ship, but then it takes hours to fly from place to place in order to find the parts to build it out again.

4. The economy. There are very few things you can produce that someone isn't already making more cheaply and efficiently.

If CCP decided to start up another server cluster where everyone could start fresh, I would probably do that.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

After 11+ years of EVE: Nothing kills eve enough for me for it to matter.

Sure I take breaks now and then, just to experience something new, but I allways get pulled back in.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Plex.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

This discussion has been closed.