Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hey DJIN

squeeesqueee Member Posts: 722

I know your partial to Athalon, but what would you get if they were both the same price, more or less.

An AMD Athalon XP 2800 333FSB or a P4 2.4 ghz 800 FSB and why?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Why doesn't DOS ever say "EXCELLENT command or filename!"

Customer: "How fast will my COM ports go?"
Tech Support: "How hard can you throw your computer?"

Comments

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

I seem to be ther person everyone comes to for questions...  I like that.  image

Question,  do you know if the AMD 2800+ is a Barton or the Thoroughbred core?

If it's the 2800+ Barton the CPU will be running at 2.08GHz and the Cache would be 512K L2, 128K L1 for a total of 640KB.  If it's not the Barton,  but the Thoroughbred core the CPU would be running at...

Now that I think about it,  I believe this speed only comes in the Barton core.

So 2.8GHz (core speed @ 2.08GHz) AMD or the 2.4GHz (running @ 2.4GHz) with a 800FSB.

First lets compare prices...  at www.newegg.com the AMD runs for $175.00 (OEM, no HS/FAN) and the Intel runs for $170.00 (OEM, no HS/FAN).

Now lets compare CPUs.  The Intel CPU is known for being low in heat (around 35Cº under full load with stock cooling) and using brute force.  The AMD isn't known for low heat (around 45Cº under full load...) but is known for more cycles per second,  hence the slower clock speed.  AMD can "do" more using less,  as Intel just pumps up the FSB and clock speed.

The Pentium 4 processor's 800 MHz system bus supports Intel's highest-performance desktop processor by delivering 6.4 GB of data-per-second into and out of the processor. This is accomplished through a physical signaling scheme of quad pumping the data transfers over a 200 MHz clocked system bus and a buffering scheme allowing for sustained 800 MHz data transfers.

Notice it's only using 200MHz but x4 to get 800MHz.  AMD doesn't use this approach.  AMD is known for being able to overclock a 2500+ Barton (2.08GHz) easily to a 3200+ Barton (2.5GHz) with decent cooling,  Intel "locks" their multiplyers which makes it harder to up anything other then the FSB.

Depending on the RAM you're going to buy (DDR400 - AMD or DDR333 - Intel) also will help you decied on which company to buy from.

Motherboard selection also will play a big role in overall performance.

In a nut shell,  to answer your question,  AMD is $100s less then Intel and can provide equal or better performance then Intel's CPU (@ same clock speeds or higher).

I think I just rambled here. . .  hope I've helped?

*EDIT

Either way you go,  you're not going to be dissipointed.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

I would get the AMD...better buy

not that you were asking meimage

• squeeesqueee Member Posts: 722
    Yes thanks, now go you do anything about this money sucking black hole I have?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't make wishes... ;)  I can only do so much...  *starts to cry*  image

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
    I like to give detail. image

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?

Ok DJIN what do you think of this set up?

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 333FSB Barton
    512MB PC3200 DDR 184pin DIMM (X2)
    Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro nForce2 DDR Motherboard w/RAID, SATA, LAN

I didnt check if the motherboard can take PC3200 Memory since the website was down.  Thought maybe you would knowimage.

Gunblade. . .

The difference between the Barton and Thoroughbred is the cache.  Barton has double the cache,  but it's at a slower clock speed.  (2.5GHz Barton is only 1.83GHz but with double the cache,  as the 2.5GHz Thoroughbred is 2.08GHz and normal amount of cache)

So what's the differnece?  Barton you can overclock a little better,  if you know you're getting a Thoroughbred B CPU,  those are good.  You should find out if you're getting the "B" version,  if not I would go with the Barton.

Get the 2.5GHz Barton.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?

That motherboard is the same one I'm getting but I'm getting the Pro2 version (The one Giga-Byte has for $120 USD) and yes that can support DDR400 (PC3200) RAM.  What type of RAM are you getting?  Are you going to use the on-board "Dual Channel" option?  The 2800+ Barton is good,  but if you want to save some money and you're not to worried about overclocking,  the Barton 2.5GHz is a good CPU that can easily reach 3.2GHz with decent AIR cooling.

This is the type of RAM I'm going to buy.

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 512MB 64MX64 PC-3200C2PT With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreader OEM
    Specifications:
    Speed 400 MHz
    Organization 64M x 64
    CAS Latency 2-3-3-6-T1

$123 for one stick.

I'm going to get a second one so I can have 1gig (1024megs) of DDR400 RAM in a dual-channel motherboard.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
    That's good RAM,  but why not fork over the extra $10 and get DDR400 (PC3200) RAM?  It's well worth it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?

Getting better RAM helps a lot!

It's like have a Porche 911 and being in the middle of no where driving 20MPH.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?

Hey DJIN,

Where do you buy your parts?  New Eg http://www.newegg.com has that memory you are looking for, for as low as $103 with free shipping.

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

im sure djins never heard of that... and djin! 6 more posts and youll be 1337! not that u arent now...
    and yea neweggs the best place to buy parts, other places might have parts for a few bucks cheaper, but its easier to buy from 1 place.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

Originally posted by squeee

Hey DJIN,
    Where do you buy your parts?  New Eg http://www.newegg.com has that memory you are looking for, for as low as $103 with free shipping.

I'm confused,  that's where I'm getting this RAM from... www.newegg.com

What type of RAM are you talking about?  I'm going to get a certain kind/type.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
    Sorry I am too lazy to look it up right now.  I will look it up tomorrow at work.  Till then, yet another question.  If you get a motherboard with SATA does the hard drive have to have SATA?  And what exactly does SATA do for ya?

S-ATA (or Serial ATA) is just one step above ATA 133.  In "theory" you can transfer up to (and higher for future HDDs) 150MB of data while ATA 133 is only up to 133MB, etc etc.

SATA is also easier to install.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
    Ok never mind the stick I saw for 103$ was PC2700.

I was looking at some DDR500 RAM... very nice,  but it was the price of platium!!!  Very expensive.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

with the pc im getting im getting 2700

PC2700 is DDR333 RAM,  do you know the FSB of your CPU?  If it's 200MHz or higher (400) you should get DDR400,  but if it's a 333MHz CPU,  you can run in-sync with the RAM.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?