Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen FPS and Planetary Landing Teaser

13»

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by Reklaw

IMO this guy is laughing all the way to the bank because aside from Eve this market had yet to be realized so he is cashing in on an extremely easy open market.

My take on this is somewhat different (of course, I've been playing a twitch-based space MMORPG that is not Eve for a very long time);

I choose to believe that the Star Citizen phenomenon is primarily clever marketing.

Why do they even bother reporting how much money they've raised so far? (It's not to be S-OA compliant).  Think about it for a minute; if I were to walk up to you and say "Hi, I'm selling a digital spaceship for a virtual universe I'm making for $90... want in?" you probably wouldn't give me the time of day, but if I were to say "Hi, my name is Chris Roberts, and I'm making a game similar to the Wing Commander franchise with updated graphics and modern features, and we've raised $50 million so far... would you like to buy a virtual spaceship for $90?" that works a lot better.

To use a neurological term, for those that buy in to the promise there aren't many negative feedback loops at this point (The game itself, if and when it exists, might provide negative feedback to the phenomenon we are currently seeing).  These are the same tricks F2P games have been using for years, on a different scale.

The thing is, there has to be a real product waiting to be made at the end of that tunnel that these "donations" are fueling (isn't that rich?).  If this becomes one of those perpetual betas (since when is a beta "Free to Play"?), "soft launches", or a collection of individual games, then all of those backers have been taken for one heck of a ride.  Enjoy the hype while it lasts.

I hope I'm wrong, and Chris has some real work ethic driving this thing.  Who knows.  Whatever the case may be, it's not because the market had yet to be realized.  Or if so, it's not because there are no alternatives to Eve.  Three years studying human behavior around large cash flows has modified my outlook, somewhat.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

IMO this guy is laughing all the way to the bank because aside from Eve this market had yet to be realized so he is cashing in on an extremely easy open market.

My take on this is somewhat different (of course, I've been playing a twitch-based space MMORPG that is not Eve for a very long time);

I choose to believe that the Star Citizen phenomenon is primarily clever marketing.

Why do they even bother reporting how much money they've raised so far? (It's not to be S-OA compliant).  Think about it for a minute; if I were to walk up to you and say "Hi, I'm selling a digital spaceship for a virtual universe I'm making for $90... want in?" you probably wouldn't give me the time of day, but if I were to say "Hi, my name is Chris Roberts, and I'm making a game similar to the Wing Commander franchise with updated graphics and modern features, and we've raised $50 million so far... would you like to buy a virtual spaceship for $90?" that works a lot better.

To use a neurological term, for those that buy in to the promise there aren't many negative feedback loops at this point (The game itself, if and when it exists, might provide negative feedback to the phenomenon we are currently seeing).  These are the same tricks F2P games have been using for years, on a different scale.

The thing is, there has to be a real product waiting to be made at the end of that tunnel that these "donations" are fueling (isn't that rich?).  If this becomes one of those perpetual betas (since when is a beta "Free to Play"?), "soft launches", or a collection of individual games, then all of those backers have been taken for one heck of a ride.  Enjoy the hype while it lasts.

I hope I'm wrong, and Chris has some real work ethic driving this thing.  Who knows.  Whatever the case may be, it's not because the market had yet to be realized.  Or if so, it's not because there are no alternatives to Eve.  Three years studying human behavior around large cash flows has modified my outlook, somewhat.

Dude, stop analyzing where there is nothing to analyze.

Many people, way more than expected, want a new Wing Commander/Privateer, and they want an MMO made out of it.

Period.  I backed, I´m happy with the progress, I like what I see and I like following the development -it is very interesting, the community is fun, the shows they are producing are fun. End of story

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

Dude, stop analyzing where the is nothing to analyze.

Many people, way more than expected, want a new Wing Commander/Privateer, and they want an MMO made out of it.

Period.  I backed, I´m happy with the progress, I like what I see and I like following the development -it is very interesting, the community is fun, the shows they are producing are fun. End of story

That's great image

I've been described as being very analytical by people who know me in real life, and I just got out of a pretty intense program studying some of this stuff, so it makes sense that I'd approach it a little differently.  I just find it interesting, having extensive experience in a twitch-based MMORPG space shooter along with some business experience.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by TheYear1500
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by sgel
    Is this really ever going to be an actual game or is this just an online space ship dealer and this is their newest "car" commercial ?

Oh I'm sure there WILL be a game... but it's going to be a shallow husk of the game Roberts is promising.

It's practically impossible to add all the features he has promised in a single lifetime :P

I want you ( and I ) to be wrong about the game, but as time goes on and all we ever see is the next thing you can buy without ever really seeing the game we can play...... I'm glad I never let my expectations get as high as some people have.

You're losing faith already ?

Lol, it will most likely be another 2 years before there's a reasonably playable version of most of the current feature list, if the delays up 'till now are anything to go by...

I don't think many of the MMO backers on Kickstarter really knew what they were letting themselves in for. A decent AAA-quality MMO takes 3 to 5 years from start to finish. That's a very long wait.

So the kickstarter was a lie?  

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

The kickstarter said that we would be playing the alpha of the PU at the end of this year.  Why should people expect it to take 2 years longer? 

ALPHA!  Alpha is not a release nor a full featured game.

The funding also went way Beyond their expectations and tons of features have now been added to the list.

And so far, they have kept their promise. They already had a first Alpha module available for months. You can already test and fly your bought Space ship(s).

The next module is going to be released before end of the year. Also first part of the Single player campain.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

Star Citizen funding has turned into a perverse mini-game:

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by TheYear1500
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by sgel
    Is this really ever going to be an actual game or is this just an online space ship dealer and this is their newest "car" commercial ?

Oh I'm sure there WILL be a game... but it's going to be a shallow husk of the game Roberts is promising.

It's practically impossible to add all the features he has promised in a single lifetime :P

I want you ( and I ) to be wrong about the game, but as time goes on and all we ever see is the next thing you can buy without ever really seeing the game we can play...... I'm glad I never let my expectations get as high as some people have.

You're losing faith already ?

Lol, it will most likely be another 2 years before there's a reasonably playable version of most of the current feature list, if the delays up 'till now are anything to go by...

I don't think many of the MMO backers on Kickstarter really knew what they were letting themselves in for. A decent AAA-quality MMO takes 3 to 5 years from start to finish. That's a very long wait.

So the kickstarter was a lie?  

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

The kickstarter said that we would be playing the alpha of the PU at the end of this year.  Why should people expect it to take 2 years longer? 

ALPHA!  Alpha is not a release nor a full featured game.

The funding also went way Beyond their expectations and tons of features have now been added to the list.

And so far, they have kept their promise. They already had a first Alpha module available for months. You can already test and fly your bought Space ship(s).

The next module is going to be released before end of the year. Also first part of the Single player campain.

ya no, first the module is what CIG/CR call a pre-alpha, we were told we would get the alpha for this module last December, so its still delayed 8 months and counting.  

2'nd you can't fly the ship you purchase, you can only fly the three starter ships that are given based on the largest ship you own, or multiple ships.  

3rd, again wrong, the signle player campain will not be released this year or even a part of it, first 5 missions are due sometime in the middle of next year.  

• screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    Originally posted by screecwe
    Originally posted by Vrika
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok_JC-ClscY - Planetary Landing Teaser

Someone on RSI has been watching Startopia Intro.

Nice find and extremely embarrassing I might add.

You know what's embarrassing, people who don't recognize that both are a nod to Kubrick's  Space Odyssey.

I mean hey, perhaps you noticed the music and scenery

That's what I was getting at....hence the gif.